[Game] VSL Game 3 (7/11/2023): Kings vs. Bulls 7pm PT 10pm ET (ESPN2)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I in past summer leagues I had really looked forward to our lottery picks as a hope for salvation but this summer league team is pretty uninspiring so I am disappointed.

But on the bright side training camp, preseason and then opening night awaits us.

don’t get me wrong I know it serves a purpose and I see a couple of players that deserve a shot with the big club.

I in past summer leagues I had really looked forward to our lottery picks as a hope for salvation but this summer league team is pretty uninspiring so I am disappointed.

But on the bright side training camp, preseason and then opening night awaits us.

don’t get me wrong I know it serves a purpose and I see a couple of players that deserve a shot with the big club.
We also don't have a single first round player on the SL roster. Keon and Colby are the closest guys we have to NBA players on the roster. Keon is just so shaky and random on offense that it's hard to trust him but his defense is NBA ready. Colby's first step is so slow that I don't see him being anything other than a role player off the bench. He does seem to have a high IQ and good hustle so there's some hope for him.

Queta is so inconsistent and his inconsistency is not improving unfortunately. Slawson is a huge long shot to even be a good G league player.

Ford I like on offense here and there but he's going to have trouble scoring in the paint and will not be able to defend anyone in the NBA. His shot is as good and consistent as it gets though.

We also don't have a single first round player on the SL roster. Keon and Colby are the closest guys we have to NBA players on the roster. Keon is just so shaky and random on offense that it's hard to trust him but his defense is NBA ready. Colby's first step is so slow that I don't see him being anything other than a role player off the bench. He does seem to have a high IQ and good hustle so there's some hope for him.

Queta is so inconsistent and his inconsistency is not improving unfortunately. Slawson is a huge long shot to even be a good G league player.

Ford I like on offense here and there but he's going to have trouble scoring in the paint and will not be able to defend anyone in the NBA. His shot is as good and consistent as it gets though.

I fail to understand how Ford is a consistent shooter, in 2 of the 4 games he shot terribly, i think this was also a recurrent issue last year.

As for Queta, after the last g-league season where he dominated, all of us were expecting more, and while he definitely should have done more, if we take away the game where he got injured, averaging 11pts 10.3rbs 2.7asts on 55% shooting in 3 wins can't be that negative.

I fail to understand how Ford is a consistent shooter, in 2 of the 4 games he shot terribly, i think this was also a recurrent issue last year.

As for Queta, after the last g-league season where he dominated, all of us were expecting more, and while he definitely should have done more, if we take away the game where he got injured, averaging 11pts 10.3rbs 2.7asts on 55% shooting in 3 wins can't be that negative.
Ford has shot better than 40% from 3 in all of his college and G league seasons.

Watch Queta if he's on the G league squad this season and you'll see why he isn't ready. He'll look like Superman for a while and then look like it's the first time he's stepped foot on the court a short while later. We've seen glimpses of it in SL this year. Gives you almost nothing and then bam, turns into Embiid for a few minutes. His overall numbers aren't bad but they also don't just directly apply to the NBA. A lot of times the best G league number guys don't make it as NBA players.

I thought Mike Daum had an excellent outing last night. The team needs a backup power forward, besides Lyles, who will be playing a lot at the five. He has experience, a smooth shooting stroke, and can rebound.

Vezenkov will likely take all those minutes.
Although Vezenkov may be backing up Barnes. There are so many guys trying to make the team, it makes for tough decisions. You want guys like Alex Len and Mike Daum who can step in at a moment's notice.

The Kings have already signed Colby Jones to a four-year contract. Does this mean he would not be playing in Stockton?

The bigger problem is none of you are saying Kessler Edwards looks ready.
I really wish we could say so. Clearly he's not capable of being a #1 or #2 option, even with inferior competition. That doesn't necessarily mean you can't play a specific role in the NBA but his ability to stay in the NBA is probably on life support. He's probably going to go the way of Troy Williams or JaKarr Sampson but if he can just simply hit corner 3s and not blow easy scoring opportunities, then he's got a chance.

The bigger problem is none of you are saying Kessler Edwards looks ready.
to not be a good offensive option* His defense has still been awesome every game.

He's a dependent role player that flashed with the big league club already. That's fine. And we aren't in a situation where we're depending on him for major minutes this season anyway, which is a super welcome change. Basically all these guys+Duarte are competing to win that 10th spot in the rotation. Whether we win or lose this year is not going to be decided by anyone at SL.

It's disappointing his offense isn't flashing more, but I wasn't really expecting it to anyway.

Ford has shot better than 40% from 3 in all of his college and G league seasons.

His overall numbers aren't bad but they also don't just directly apply to the NBA. A lot of times the best G league number guys don't make it as NBA players.
What does it matter if Ford shoots 40% from 3? He is still inconsistent, just like Queta. He will go 10 from 16 in one game and the next one he will go 1 from 10 from the field...

And do you really think Queta Finished 2nd in the MVP last year because of his numbers?? They werent that impressive, it was because of the way he played, impacted the game and his advanced metrics clearly prove that.

I'm sure somewhere int he back of Coby Jones mind he's like "this guy again" in regards to Javonte Liberty-Freeman, who he probably had quite a few big east battles with..

I actually like Liberty-Freeman's game. He ALWAYS, without fail drops 15+ evertime i see him play.. n he's got 15 at the half..

should be a spicy 2nd half..
Remind me a lot of DeAndre Bembry who played for ATL/TOR (the Liberty Freeman fellow)

Last edited:
to not be a good offensive option* His defense has still been awesome every game.

He's a dependent role player that flashed with the big league club already. That's fine. And we aren't in a situation where we're depending on him for major minutes this season anyway, which is a super welcome change. Basically all these guys+Duarte are competing to win that 10th spot in the rotation. Whether we win or lose this year is not going to be decided by anyone at SL.

It's disappointing his offense isn't flashing more, but I wasn't really expecting it to anyway.
We disagree on needing him to play major minutes. Mike started KZ for a reason. If we want to take a step up as a team, it will require a defensive 3. But that player can’t be a zero on offense. I didn’t watch the game as I had a meeting. So I just read some comments and looked at box scores. Neither was very encouraging. But perhaps you felt otherwise.

We disagree on needing him to play major minutes. Mike started KZ for a reason. If we want to take a step up as a team, it will require a defensive 3. But that player can’t be a zero on offense. I didn’t watch the game as I had a meeting. So I just read some comments and looked at box scores. Neither was very encouraging. But perhaps you felt otherwise.
Last years starters+Lyles/Davion/Monk/Vezenkov are going to be the top 9 in the rotation. All these guys are competing to fill in the TD slot from last season. It's a needed role for sure, but not one we're going to be counting on to win games this year. Maybe like 10-15 MPG?

My guess is the KZ experiment was trying to bring Keegan along slowly and not rush his progression. And it just quickly became apparent that KZ wasn't an NBA player and Keegan was playing way too well to keep him on the bench. I do think eventually an "opener" scenario of a defensive wing and bringing HB off the bench is pretty interesting though.

Last years starters+Lyles/Davion/Monk/Vezenkov are going to be the top 9 in the rotation. All these guys are competing to fill in the TD slot from last season. It's a needed role for sure, but not one we're going to be counting on to win games this year. Maybe like 10-15 MPG?

My guess is the KZ experiment was trying to bring Keegan along slowly and not rush his progression. And it just quickly became apparent that KZ wasn't an NBA player and Keegan was playing way too well to keep him on the bench. I do think eventually an "opener" scenario of a defensive wing and bringing HB off the bench is pretty interesting though.
Only if the "REAL" Harrison Barnes shows up for the full 23-24 season.

What does it matter if Ford shoots 40% from 3? He is still inconsistent, just like Queta. He will go 10 from 16 in one game and the next one he will go 1 from 10 from the field...

And do you really think Queta Finished 2nd in the MVP last year because of his numbers?? They werent that impressive, it was because of the way he played, impacted the game and his advanced metrics clearly prove that.
I'm just talking about Ford's 3pt shot. There aren't many inconsistent 40% 3pt shooters. That's elite no matter how you get to that number. I'm not advocating that he would be a good NBA player. I'm just saying his outside shot is a good one.

Ok well you can point to this post and let me know how wrong I am about Queta if he tears it up in the NBA. Here's a list of the G League MVPs if you're curious to see how the guys who won that trophy have fared in the NBA. I wouldn't use it as a barometer for success.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NBA_G_League_Most_Valuable_Player_Award

yeah I think some of it could be bringing Keegan along slowly.

as for Minutes I think Lyles and Vezenkov will be fighting for back up 4 small ball 5 minutes.

Jones/Duarte/Ellis will be fighting for TD’s minutes….

we don’t have anyone else that can do what Kessler can…. We may have to just live with his offense.

Status
Not open for further replies.