[Game] VSL Game 1 (7/7/2023): Kings vs Hawks 7:30pm Pacific, 10:30 Eastern

Status
Not open for further replies.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
Keon Ellis is a hell of a help/team defender.

If he gains weight and strength he could be a good individual defender as well.

It's currently a numbers crunch for him to get minutes with the big club, but he's a nice insurance policy in case of injuries, Huerter (or possibly Monk) being traded, or Monk leaving as a FA.

It's currently a numbers crunch for him to get minutes with the big club, but he's a nice insurance policy in case of injuries, Huerter (or possibly Monk) being traded, or Monk leaving as a FA.
He was pretty awesome on Griffin last night. Thought it was rral interesting he got the assignment to guard up while Colby took Bufkin. Might be a tell of where we want these guys to guard

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
He was pretty awesome on Griffin last night. Thought it was rral interesting he got the assignment to guard up while Colby took Bufkin. Might be a tell of where we want these guys to guard
Then again, Summer League is great for giving players an opportunity to expand their game. Get them out of their comfort zone, get Colby experience guarding the 1, and Keon experience guarding the wing, so that when circumstances dictate they've been there. I don't imagine we'd implement cross-guarding as a primary strategy.

IMO, you're narrowing the scope of the type of player that you believe the Kings need to add in order to make the point that they have a gaping hole in the roster that only you seem to see.

Vezenkov is strictly a stretch 4 and I view Lyles as a 4/5 but I'd call Barnes and Murray 4/3s. Especially Murray. If he's a "stretch 4" and not a wing and you already grouped 2/3 players into a different category, then I'm not sure who fits in this wing category other than apparently guys with 6'11" wingspans who can't shoot from outside consistently.

KZ Okpala started two games at SF for the Kings. Then he was replaced by a rookie because Murray gave the team a better chance to win.
Kessler started 3 games for the Kigns, all at the SG spot when Huerter was injured.

I'm sure Mike Brown would love to start a defensive stopper at a wing spot, but that player would have to be better than Huerter/Monk, Murray or Barnes and that hasn't happened. Mostly because the offense was significantly worse. Very small sample size, but the Kings lost both games that Okpala started and 2 of the 3 that Kessler started.

But back to the idea that it's unlikely that Prosper is better than Kessler Edwards next season. Even if that weren't the case, I don't see a scenario where both of them play. You can't have two defense first non-shooters on the wings and hope to keep pace when the starters are out. So if only ONE wing stopper is going to get significant minutes off the bench and the Kings already have one of those players, how is that the team's greatest area of need?

The only way to make that claim is if the type of player you want is better than Barnes or Murray. Prosper certainly won't be this season and very possibly will never be. The Kings weren't going to pay Grant $30M a season, and even if they were there's no guarantee he chooses Sacramento over Portland.

Cam Johnson or Grant Williams might have been minor improvements over Barnes on defense, but both are still "Stretch 4's" and not 6'11" wingspan switchable defenders based on your criteria. So I'm not sure who (a) fits your parameters (b) is better than Barnes and/or Murray and (c) could have reasonably been had this offseason.
the way I and others I know think of it is as a 2 dimensional grid.

you have length on on dimension (wingspan) and quickness (lane agility test) on the other dimension.

average wingspan is 6’ 10”
Average quickness is roughly 11.0

the guys who stand out as 3&D defenders are typically above average and in the upper right quadrant which makes sense as it is hard at go around them or over them and they can deflect balls in passing lanes.

neither Barnes, Lyles, Slawson or Vezenkov ohave above average quickness Keegan may be border line.

neither Jones, Huerter, Ellis or Duarte have above average length.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
[
the way I and others I know think of it is as a 2 dimensional grid.

you have length on on dimension (wingspan) and quickness (lane agility test) on the other dimension.

average wingspan is 6’ 10”
Average quickness is roughly 11.0

the guys who stand out as 3&D defenders are typically above average and in the upper right quadrant which makes sense as it is hard at go around them or over them and they can deflect balls in passing lanes.

neither Barnes, Lyles, Slawson or Vezenkov ohave above average quickness Keegan may be border line.

neither Jones, Huerter, Ellis or Duarte have above average length.
Thanks, that's good context for how you view things.

I'd still argue that there were no reasonable targets this off-season that both fit your parameters AND were a net better player than Murray or Barnes.

Grant at one time was a very good defender with Denver, but he's a very different player now and not worth the price tag IMO.

So that leaves finding a better bench option than Edwards, which McNair was apparently trying to do with Torrey Craig. Prosper might fit that bill in a couple seasons, but I doubt he does this year.

Last edited:

Is Keon Ellis sitting on the Kings bench 3rd string waiting to get in actually better for his game/development than playing big minutes for Stockton though?

Thats where I think this whole lets sign him to the big club, like he's earned some final promotion, seems a bit like racing up to a redlight if you ask me..

Cuz for me, I'd actually want him with the ball in his hands, seems important... playing 30+mpg. getting big reps working on those combo guard skills, getting that AST:TO above 2:1 even 2½:1 is a major step for him, kinda hard to believe he could improve like that while just sitting on the bench doing mostly cheerleading duty.

we can just put Davion Mitchell in at SG right now instead of Keon Ellis.. y'kno? Dont think that gets mentioned enough... Keon's solid n all but he's not ready to take those minutes from Davion from what I've seen.. So he is a bit redundant right now tbh.. But for me Keon on a two-way as he just signed is beneficial for him and the Kings.. We can always upgrade the deal, its a two-way, so no need to jump at it too early.

Last edited:
[

Thanks, that's good context for how you view things.

I'd still argue that there were no reasonable targets this off-season that both fit your parameters AND were a net better player than Murray or Barnes.

Grant at one time was a very good defender with Denver, but he's a very different player now and not worth the price tag IMO.

So that leaves finding a better bench option than Edwards, which McNair was apparently trying to do with Torrey Craig. Prosper might fit that bill in a couple seasons, but I doubt he does this year.
well physically Prosper does fit in the upper tier Quadrant. Whether he can shoot is another question. Upper left is stretch 4, upper right is 3 and D, lower right is a 2 guard. All wings have to be able to shoot the three or they are either a big or a ball handler.

if they can create shots for themselves and others they are an all star. If the are in Quad 3 and can create for others they are Leonard or Durant.

a good defensive team typically has 1 or more in Quad 3. Celtics have 2 in Brown and Tatum and Smart at 6’9” is close. And they also have a shot blocking big with above average standing reach. Rob Williams Standing Reach is 9’ 4”.

kings really have only Edwards in Tier 3 and Queta with the standing reach

Is Keon Ellis sitting on the Kings bench 3rd string waiting to get in actually better for his game/development than playing big minutes for Stockton though?

Thats where I think this whole lets sign him to the big club, like he's earned some final promotion, seems a bit like racing up to a redlight if you ask me..

Cuz for me, I'd actually want him with the ball in his hands, seems important... playing 30+mpg. getting big reps working on those combo guard skills, getting that AST:TO above 2:1 even 2½:1 is a major step for him, kinda hard to believe he could improve like that while just sitting on the bench doing mostly cheerleading duty.

we can just put Davion Mitchell in at SG right now instead of Keon Ellis.. y'kno? Dont think that gets mentioned enough... Keon's solid n all but he's not ready to take those minutes from Davion from what I've seen.. So he is a bit redundant right now tbh.. But for me Keon on a two-way as he just signed is beneficial for him and the Kings.. We can always upgrade the deal, its a two-way, so no need to jump at it too early.
did you watch Booker just repeatedly shoot over the top of Davion? Love that kids heart but he isn’t stopping the Bookers and Ants at the 2.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
well physically Prosper does fit in the upper tier Quadrant. Whether he can shoot is another question. Upper left is stretch 4, upper right is 3 and D, lower right is a 2 guard. All wings have to be able to shoot the three or they are either a big or a ball handler.

if they can create shots for themselves and others they are an all star. If the are in Quad 3 and can create for others they are Leonard or Durant.

a good defensive team typically has 1 or more in Quad 3. Celtics have 2 in Brown and Tatum and Smart at 6’9” is close. And they also have a shot blocking big with above average standing reach. Rob Williams Standing Reach is 9’ 4”.

kings really have only Edwards in Tier 3 and Queta with the standing reach
It'll be interesting to see how different the Celtics are with Porzingis and without Smart.

Status
Not open for further replies.