Voisin: Spurs a notch above the rest

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
http://www.sacbee.com/content/sports/story/12126171p-12997009c.html

Ailene Voisin: It's obvious: Spurs a notch above the rest

By Ailene Voisin -- Bee Sports Columnist
Published 2:15 am PST Monday, January 24, 2005

On the heels of the departing rodeo, the Spurs arrived at Arco Arena on Sunday night and, apparently feeling right at home, proceeded to kick the local lads into an early submission. They ran around like they owned the place, slashing into the lane, stealing into the corners, rushing out near the wings. They took advantage of an aberration - the Kings taking an unscheduled night off - and refused to take their leave before offering a parting shot: See ya for that rematch Thursday in San Antonio.
No, there is only grim news to report.

These are the Spurs, alone again.

No matter how fast other players run or how many points they score, no team in the league can catch San Antonio, a squad that features the game's most complete player in Tim Duncan, and, as is becoming increasingly obvious, its most balanced roster/approach. Offense. Defense. Toss in special-teams play, too; intangibles certainly count for something.

All this chatter about the resurgence of the fast break and the frenetic emergence of the Phoenix Suns, Seattle SuperSonics, Boston Celtics and Washington Wizards, among others, makes for great copy but foolish postseason projections. Rebounding still matters.

Defense still wins titles. And the Spurs? The beauty of these particular Spurs?

They're no longer basketball nerds in shorts and sneakers.

These guys are throwbacks with a caffeine kick.

"We used to be like a swamp that (bred) mosquitoes," said former Spurs star and current television analyst Sean Elliott. "Our offense was totally stagnant. We would dump the ball into the low post, and everybody would stand around and watch Tim (Duncan) and Dave (Robinson). Now we have people who cut, move, pass. We can score with anybody in the league, and defensively, we're better than everybody."

After Sunday night, after the way this highly anticipated duel disintegrated into a debacle, surely the Kings count among the believers. This was a spectacle seldom seen in these parts these past seven seasons. And, geez, having prepped for the encounter by pursuing his wine passion in the Napa Valley the previous afternoon, the least coach Gregg Popovich could have done was leave a case of his finest merlot for his counterparts; at least allow for a little pleasure to accompany the hangover.

Instead, the Kings have about 48 hours to reflect upon one of their worst performances in the Rick Adelman era, one in which the seemingly unimaginable occurred, when his club committed the following transgressions: Established a Sacramento-era low for assists (eight), eclipsing the old mark (nine) set in 1988; managed three assists through three periods, and none in the third; recorded zero assists by a starting backcourt of Mike Bibby and Cuttino Mobley; scored the fewest points at Arco since 2001; provided no answers to Peja Stojakovic's increasingly erratic productivity; offered no solution to the Spurs' offense or defense, in general the interior remaining as pliable as a worked-over piece of bubble gum.

"Same old problems," huffed Tony Massenburg, the former Kings journeyman who carried his grudge and his tough-guy act with him to San Antonio. "We really emphasize defense. If you don't defend, no matter who you are, you don't play."

True, but what makes these Spurs more intriguing and certainly more dangerous than at any time in the past is that though they indeed are deeper, more creative and versatile offensively, and still equally committed defensively, they remain a bit of a work in progress. We haven't even seen their best stuff yet. Brent Barry, the slick-shooting guard who teams lined up to sign during the offseason, is only now becoming comfortable. Rookie Beno Udrih is gaining confidence by the outing, stealing minutes from the competent Devin Brown. Rasho Nesterovic is sidelined with a sprained ankle, and old friend Robert Horry is out with a sore knee.

Of utmost significance is this: Duncan is starting to regain a lightness of being, a spriteness of game.

The two-time MVP - admittedly weary after two offseasons spent competing for the U.S. national team - had been feeling like a bit of a slug on occasion, less inclined to occupy the low post, seemingly content to rely on his bank shot. And this isn't the Tim Duncan who dominates in the blocks like few forwards of this past decade, or few forwards, perhaps, since Larry Bird and Kevin McHale. "Pop (Popovich) is limiting my minutes, and that's helping," said Duncan, nodding, "and that's helping. I'm starting to feel a little rhythm, shooting a little better."

No, not an encouraging development for the rest of the league.

The Spurs are better than before, better than the rest.

Reach Ailene Voisin at (916) 321-1208 or avoisin@sacbee.com.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
You know, just once, I would love to see an AV piece praise our own team as much as she has praised the Spurs in this one. Not that the Spurs aren't worthy of most of these comments.

It would just be so refreshing to see ONE article that expressed as much joy for how much the Kings can do as she apparently feels for the Spurs.

A recent love-note to the Kings by Voisin

http://www.sacbee.com/content/sports/columns/voisin/story/11923283p-12810287c.html

Ailene Voisin: This kid looks like wily veteran

Published 2:15 am PST Monday, January 3, 2005

The rookie, the kid.

The one who resembles Doug Christie.

The skinny little dude - and at 6-foot-7, 185 pounds, Kevin Martin has yet to reach the lanky stage - nonetheless rocked the house Sunday night, sent a double shot of espresso coursing through the aisles. Once would have been enough, truly it would have been. But before it was over, and the Kings had reclaimed a smidge of that Arco Arena Advantage with an impressive victory over the San Antonio Spurs, the first-year guard from Western Carolina provided the play of the game ... and then provided another play of the game.
He gave an encore performance before taking a final bow, leaving those who edit the television highlights with a vicious decision - namely, which play to feature in a limited amount of time? The dunk that left the Kings jumping and laughing and high-fiving on the sidelines, or the gift-wrapped pass that went behind his back, between the legs of the Spurs' Brent Barry, before finally resulting in a reverse layup by Darius Songaila?

"(Barry) asked me, 'Did you intend to throw the ball between my legs like that?' " Martin related afterward, laughing. "I told him no. I just tried to throw the ball out there. Let's just call this beginner's luck. I didn't know any better. Usually I'm on the receiving end of those kind of passes."

No, usually, Martin is on the bench. Through no fault of his own, he just happened to be drafted by a team with a veteran backcourt of Mike Bibby, Doug Christie, Bobby Jackson. Until Jackson's wrist injury forced Kings coach Rick Adelman to take a longer look down his bench, Martin suspected this was going to be one of those learn-by-the-seat-of-the-pants seasons, in which he studies the playbook and exhausts himself physically during practices.

But this is a new year, if not a new backcourt. On New Year's Eve in Salt Lake City, Martin was solid for most of his 19 minutes, thus earning himself another shot at the powerful Spurs. In his most extensive outing of the year, he scored nine points, grabbed six rebounds, added an assist and a steal in 22 minutes and, in essence, gave the Kings a different look with his athleticism, quickness, explosiveness and healthful dose of youthful exhuberance.

"I call Kevin an 'affectionate hotshot,' " said assistant Pete Carril, "because he's got some loose ends to his game. He needs to work on a few things, like his ballhandling. But he has a chance to be a very good player if he keeps working."

And that pass?

"That's something I didn't teach him," cracked Carril.

And that dunk?

"I didn't teach him that, either."

There were early hints that this was going to be a special night, both for Martin and the Kings. In contrast to the most recent home games, the Kings were frisky and engaged from the start. Chris Webber moved the ball and badgered Tim Duncan. Peja Stojakovic ran the floor, attacked the boards, stroked his threes in rhythm. Mike Bibby exploited his fleet defenders with those hestitation dribble moves of his. Maurice Evans contributed solid defense.

And Martin put the Kings ahead in the second quarter with a nifty post-up move on the right side.

Then there was the dunk.

Then there was the pass.

In the waning seconds of the half, Martin, 21, dribbled around a high screen on the right elbow from Webber, and before the Spurs caught onto his act, split two defenders and went up for a two-handed stuff that left the rim rattling. "The lane was wide open," he said later. "I just saw the opening and went."

Later, with 8:32 remaining in a tight game between two old familiar foes, Martin caught everyone by surprise. His teammates. His coaches. His opponents. Himself. This time, he held the ball on the left of the foul line, and as Songaila cut toward the basket, the youngster cupped the ball in his right hand, whipped it behind his back and aimed a perfect one-bounce toss that went between Barry's legs.

The place went crazy, Arco buzzing like the old days. The reserves leaped off the bench. The starters walked over to Martin, wide grins splitting their features. The crowd was on its feet. During the ensuing timeout, Kings co-owner Gavin Maloof stood at his courtside seat, imitating the wraparound pass for a companion seated at his side.

"I couldn't even imagine throwing a pass like that," he said later. "That was unbelievable."

Over and over, the sequence was replayed on the overhead scoreboard, the fans gasping and applauding. Martin, he just smiled.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
kingskings! said:
http://www.sacbee.com/content/sports/columns/voisin/story/11923283p-12810287c.html

Ailene Voisin: This kid looks like wily veteran

Published 2:15 am PST Monday, January 3, 2005

The rookie, the kid.

The one who resembles Doug Christie.

The skinny little dude - and at 6-foot-7, 185 pounds, Kevin Martin has yet to reach the lanky stage - nonetheless rocked the house Sunday night, sent a double shot of espresso coursing through the aisles. Once would have been enough, truly it would have been. But before it was over, and the Kings had reclaimed a smidge of that Arco Arena Advantage with an impressive victory over the San Antonio Spurs, the first-year guard from Western Carolina provided the play of the game ... and then provided another play of the game. He gave an encore performance before taking a final bow, leaving those who edit the television highlights with a vicious decision - namely, which play to feature in a limited amount of time? The dunk that left the Kings jumping and laughing and high-fiving on the sidelines, or the gift-wrapped pass that went behind his back, between the legs of the Spurs' Brent Barry, before finally resulting in a reverse layup by Darius Songaila?

"(Barry) asked me, 'Did you intend to throw the ball between my legs like that?' " Martin related afterward, laughing. "I told him no. I just tried to throw the ball out there. Let's just call this beginner's luck. I didn't know any better. Usually I'm on the receiving end of those kind of passes."

No, usually, Martin is on the bench. Through no fault of his own, he just happened to be drafted by a team with a veteran backcourt of Mike Bibby, Doug Christie, Bobby Jackson. Until Jackson's wrist injury forced Kings coach Rick Adelman to take a longer look down his bench, Martin suspected this was going to be one of those learn-by-the-seat-of-the-pants seasons, in which he studies the playbook and exhausts himself physically during practices.

But this is a new year, if not a new backcourt. On New Year's Eve in Salt Lake City, Martin was solid for most of his 19 minutes, thus earning himself another shot at the powerful Spurs. In his most extensive outing of the year, he scored nine points, grabbed six rebounds, added an assist and a steal in 22 minutes and, in essence, gave the Kings a different look with his athleticism, quickness, explosiveness and healthful dose of youthful exhuberance.

"I call Kevin an 'affectionate hotshot,' " said assistant Pete Carril, "because he's got some loose ends to his game. He needs to work on a few things, like his ballhandling. But he has a chance to be a very good player if he keeps working."

And that pass?

"That's something I didn't teach him," cracked Carril.

And that dunk?

"I didn't teach him that, either."

There were early hints that this was going to be a special night, both for Martin and the Kings. In contrast to the most recent home games, the Kings were frisky and engaged from the start. Chris Webber moved the ball and badgered Tim Duncan. Peja Stojakovic ran the floor, attacked the boards, stroked his threes in rhythm. Mike Bibby exploited his fleet defenders with those hestitation dribble moves of his. Maurice Evans contributed solid defense.

And Martin put the Kings ahead in the second quarter with a nifty post-up move on the right side.

Then there was the dunk.

Then there was the pass.

In the waning seconds of the half, Martin, 21, dribbled around a high screen on the right elbow from Webber, and before the Spurs caught onto his act, split two defenders and went up for a two-handed stuff that left the rim rattling. "The lane was wide open," he said later. "I just saw the opening and went."

Later, with 8:32 remaining in a tight game between two old familiar foes, Martin caught everyone by surprise. His teammates. His coaches. His opponents. Himself. This time, he held the ball on the left of the foul line, and as Songaila cut toward the basket, the youngster cupped the ball in his right hand, whipped it behind his back and aimed a perfect one-bounce toss that went between Barry's legs.

The place went crazy, Arco buzzing like the old days. The reserves leaped off the bench. The starters walked over to Martin, wide grins splitting their features. The crowd was on its feet. During the ensuing timeout, Kings co-owner Gavin Maloof stood at his courtside seat, imitating the wraparound pass for a companion seated at his side.

"I couldn't even imagine throwing a pass like that," he said later. "That was unbelievable."

Over and over, the sequence was replayed on the overhead scoreboard, the fans gasping and applauding. Martin, he just smiled.
Touche.

Technically, that wasn't about the team. It was about Kevin. But it was very well written and I enjoyed reading it again.

Voisin is the most pessimistic writer I've ever read

I live in NJ and started reading the articles from the Sacramento Bee last year during the latter half of the King's season. The first thing I noticed was how critical Voisin was of the Kings. Granted the Kings were in a slump and these writers are paid to criticize - but she is absolutely the most pessimistic writer alive. How many times has she written about how the kings will not be able to win a championship? What is worse is her absolute hatred of Chris Webber. When Chris Webber does everything right, he does something wrong in her eyes. She loves ragging on his lack of speed (he is still decently quick considering his knee injury) and discussing how he is detrimental to the team. I'm not saying he's a perfect player, but the truth is that his arrival marked the turnaround of the franchise and she should remeber that. Voisin also loves taking shots aginst Adelman and the way he runs the team.

Come on Sac Bee editors - fire AV...the Kings need hope not bullying