ESPN reporting Casspi to sign one-year deal (updated title)

http://www.sacbee.com/2014/07/22/6575199/ailene-voisin-former-king-omri.html

“My agent (Dan Fegan) is talking with a number of teams,” he said, “and the Kings are one of them. Couldn’t they use a stretch forward who can hit a three and loves to run? I think I could help, and it would be fun to play with Rudy (Gay), DeMarcus (Cousins), J.T. I still have a lot of friends there. I would love to come back and fulfill my path. But now I have to concentrate on the national team, and maybe, I can get some of this pressure off my chest.”
He's supposedly going to be released very soon. We do need a backup SF for a couple min a night.

Omri Casspi is hopeful that (once waived by NO) he can re-sign w/ Kings. He could make a lot more overseas but won't give up his NBA dream.

https://twitter.com/sam_amick/status/491975954688770048
i'm reminded of rudy fernandez, another international prima donna with an inflated sense of his own ability and a penchant for whining when he feels unappreciated. every once in awhile a player like that comes to the nba from an overseas league and is determined to have his cake and eat it, too. ya know, someone who is good enough to play in the world's premier professional basketball league, but isn't quite good enough to find either the role or the paycheck that satisfies them...

omri casspi is another classic example; he could function as a serviceable utility forward on just about any nba team, but his attitude keeps him from sticking anywhere. it'll be five teams in five years once he signs somewhere, unless he returns to the kings, in which case it's four teams in five years and a second chance on one of them. that said, he'd need to come [back] to sacramento considerably more humble than he left it, otherwise, i'd pass...

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
Omri Casspi is the slightest of upgrades from Travis Outlaw who is currently the third SF on the depth chart behind Gay and Williams.

How can the Kings have a payroll that is pushing the limits of the luxury tax with a mediocre roster containing so much flotsam and jetsam and redundant players?

At what point are some of the nearly $18 million in ending contracts going to be dealt to clear the decks and actually build toward something?

Kings need a backup SF, Casspi can be serviceable in that role if he rediscover his 37% three point shooting stroke.

I don't understand why people are still excited about DWill - not a SF, not a PF, can't shoot, can't defend, can't create his own shots, can't rebound, low shooting % but can jump out of the gym. DWill belongs in the And1 Tour. At least you know what position Casspi plays.

Kings need a backup SF, Casspi can be serviceable in that role if he rediscover his 37% three point shooting stroke.

I don't understand why people are still excited about DWill - not a SF, not a PF, can't shoot, can't defend, can't create his own shots, can't rebound, low shooting % but can jump out of the gym. DWill belongs in the And1 Tour. At least you know what position Casspi plays.
I'm not excited about D-Will or Casspi honestly.

Still plenty of time for other moves, although it would be a shame if Casspi came at the expense of Acy. If the FO could pull off another quantity for quality move, a la the Gay trade but this time for a starting PF, I'd be happy with something like:

Cousins/Evans/Moreland
NEW PF/Landry/Acy
Gay/Casspi
McLemore/Stauskas/Brooks [with Stauskas also getting spot minutes at SF, and maybe starting at SG]
Collison/McCollum

Ummm... NO... Casspi took to the press here and in Israel and talked a lot of crap about the Kings when he was unhappy here. I know it was under the Maloofs and Westphal, but still... NO.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I'm beginning to feel like we're fans of the team from The Island of Misfit Toys. And I LIKED Omri. I don't think whatever he had to say about the Kings was anything but discontent about how he was treated by the organization, which I heard rumors of at the time. I do not think the Maloofs liked him (well, doh) and I think there may have been things going on behind the scenes we knew nothing about.

Having said that, I would not have a problem seeing him back, especially if it meant getting rid of some of our over-priced spare parts.

The Kings need a backup SF, I don't care if it's Casspi or some other scrub SF; I just want it to be an actual SF and not some undersized PF forced to play SF or a SG forced to play SF. As it stands, if Gay misses any significant time (knock on wood) then what? We just trout out our D-League quality guys playing out of position or pray/hope that Nik Staukas doesn't get squashed guarding Kevin Durant?

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
I don't see it as a bad thing that a former first round pick of the Kings liked his time in Sacramento enough to be wishing for a return. We're talking about a minimum level contract here, either he works out or he doesn't. It also sounds like he's been humbled a bit since the last time we had him here. I don't like the idea of waiving Quincy Acy to make this happen though, especially after he was such a big part of our summer league success. Small sample size and all, but if his improved jump shot is for real, Acy could backup either forward spot for us this year. Omri is potentially a better fit where we need help the most, as a perimeter oriented wing, though he's only 35% from behind the arc for his career.

Hey, remember when Geoff gave up a future first round pick just so he can swap Omri for JJ Hickson? Fun times. Can we get the pick back too now? And Thomas Robinson while we're at it? Why isn't their a "Maloof clause" mulligan in the new CBA? :)

No need for him. Outlaw and Williams serve as our backup 3's. I really don't feel like Outlaw gets enough credit for his performance last season. He defended, rebounded and shot the ball fairly well.