Vivek's continued involvement should worry everybody...

Can this team succeed with Vivek pulling the strings?

• Total voters
Good points.

If you look at all the moves since Vlade became GM, he always had one finger on "blow it up (Vlade's Camp)" and one finger on "let's try to make if work with DMC (Vivek's camp)", problem is, you can't go half-way on this decision. Either "blow it up" and rebuild or build around DMC.

For all the Vivek bashers who are DMC supporters, I think Vivek was the one that wanted to keep DMC all along and Vlade and the FO wanted to blow it up.

Thus, this rushed trade, when Vivek finally had his moment of weakness and approved a DMC trade. Vlade had to pull the trigger.

For better or worse, we are in the "blow it up" phase, but Vlade at least planned ahead and has some young talent to build around in Buddy, WCS, Skal, Malichi, Bogdan and Papa.
I would add that while I don't love what does seem to be a little bit of a backstab by vlade to boogie, I think he was also doing his best to play both sides when building a relationship with DMC on the fairly decent chance that they would be locked into a long term marriage. I think it was a vlade quote in the bee yesterday where he said at some point he had to look out for the best interests of the organization and not the agents (and by extension....boogie). Vlade had a rep as a player as being a great leader; however I'm guessing even in his playing days he pushed team chemistry and brotherhood even in situations where he wasn't enamoured with his teammates. He seems like a great guy but there has to be some amount of act in all that.

My comment had nothing to with the trade but that little details have now slipped out that he may not be as removed from the basketball decisions has we had been led to believe/hoped. Final say? Yes, he pays the checks. Sinister plot? No, but still the irritant.
That's fair. I'm far from trying to defend Vivek as an asset to the organization. Agree he is definitely an irritant and regardless of how long he stays away can always pop back in to ruin our day.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
For better or worse, we are in the "blow it up" phase, but Vlade at least planned ahead and has some young talent to build around in Buddy, WCS, Skal, Malichi, Bogdan and Papa.
It is almost as if trading Cuz was Vlade's plan all along. If so, he has bigger cuevos than I. I don't like the deception but Vlade may have finally removed Vivek's hand from up his rear, the hand puppet operator, and put his career on the line. I also respect Vivek (gag!) for letting Vlade do what he wished although as people are insinuating, Vivek may have wanted Heald and was more than happy to give up Cuz. I also respect that Vlade came to the people and said he passed up a better deal.

As much as I thought it was absolute idiocy to even consider losing Cuz, I'll give this a few year's chance. Do I have an option? :p

ok. but I am positive deep to my core... having watched Vlade up close throughout the Nuggets game - he was having a personal moment of triumph on how this all turned out. He's not a mere puppet/yes man in this... it was very plain that I was watching a guy who was rejoicing that HIS plan was off to a good start. No doubt about it.
I only saw what I saw from the TV. Could he have been enjoying it like the rest of us? Could there be relief that it wasn't blowing up in his face? Both and more? He did put his name and integrity on the line. I would like to think the better of him than to think it was gloating.

If Papa WAS a contingency plan or worse, got to give the man credit for having balls. Wouldn't want to play poker with him. (and still think he did wrong with the character slam)

I only saw what I saw from the TV. Could he have been enjoying it like the rest of us? Could there be relief that it wasn't blowing up in his face? Both and more? He did put his name and integrity on the line. I would like to think the better of him than to think it was gloating.

If Papa WAS a contingency plan or worse, got to give the man credit for having balls. Wouldn't want to play poker with him. (and still think he did wrong with the character slam)
both and more... sure. I wouldn't call it gloating per se, but you had to be there... maybe if Sign Lady or her husband are on here they would vouch. Vlade was fielding congratulations from his teammates and some of the ballplayers too.

Also ran into Matina K in Lexus Lounge and she was gracious to chat a little. She just said "we felt like it was time, and you never know how it's going to work out, but thanks". She's so nice. And she and Vlade seem to be tight.

Actually one takeaway is that the team of Granger, Matina, Vlade seem very very tight - which you like to see. The owner and coach aren't 'yucking it up with them' so conspicuously, but they all give the appearance of liking and respecting one another.

I don't think vivek has:

A) the knowledge to actually commit us to a plan that will take us forward

B) the willingness to accept this and leave us to be run by professionals with expertise

C) the money to commit to building a solid roster - he bought the kings for 350 mill and baulked at signing cousins for 200 mill over 5 years. He is not rich by NBA owner standards and NBA salary's are on the rise

D) his obsession with the warriors and their style has blinded him and we have lost years because of it. I don't have faith in Vivek what so ever to build a sustainable winning team.

Given this, overall, I'm here for the city and the players who represent it. We can't win with vivek and he will not change.

ok. but I am positive deep to my core... having watched Vlade up close throughout the Nuggets game - he was having a personal moment of triumph on how this all turned out. He's not a mere puppet/yes man in this... it was very plain that I was watching a guy who was rejoicing that HIS plan was off to a good start. No doubt about it.
I respect your opinions, but I'm simply not buying this observation.

I think there is another explanation for it -
He was forced to trade Cuz and jump on the grenade by Vivek, which exposed his disastrous contradictory 76ers trade and obliterated his NBA career (post-Kings), and he was simply excited at the prospect that his career may not be over if the team resurrected themselves and played above their heads the rest of the season.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
both and more... sure. I wouldn't call it gloating per se, but you had to be there... maybe if Sign Lady or her husband are on here they would vouch. Vlade was fielding congratulations from his teammates and some of the ballplayers too.

Also ran into Matina K in Lexus Lounge and she was gracious to chat a little. She just said "we felt like it was time, and you never know how it's going to work out, but thanks". She's so nice. And she and Vlade seem to be tight.

Actually one takeaway is that the team of Granger, Matina, Vlade seem very very tight - which you like to see. The owner and coach aren't 'yucking it up with them' so conspicuously, but they all give the appearance of liking and respecting one another.
Very interesting comment, considering word around the old water cooler is that Matina K (the Chief Operating Officer for the Kings) is actually the puppet master, the one who truly has Vivek's ear...

As far as Vlade goes, I think what we saw most of all was relief that the drama, for good or bad, is over. DMC isn't his problem any longer.

What is Viveks cash cow now that he is out of the software business? Maybe the 200 million was too much for him to handle financially?

I really hope the guise of a "rebuild" isn't being used to shed salary and produce some savings, we have been through that BS before.

Ill give him the benefit of the doubt until the rookie extensions come due though.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
Very interesting comment, considering word around the old water cooler is that Matina K (the Chief Operating Officer for the Kings) is actually the puppet master, the one who truly has Vivek's ear...

As far as Vlade goes, I think what we saw most of all was relief that the drama, for good or bad, is over. DMC isn't his problem any longer.
I hate forums as they leave ambiguity. Is your first paragraph true?

The trade may extend Vlade's life span 10 years.

Good points.

If you look at all the moves since Vlade became GM, he always had one finger on "blow it up (Vlade's Camp)" and one finger on "let's try to make if work with DMC (Vivek's camp)", problem is, you can't go half-way on this decision. Either "blow it up" and rebuild or build around DMC.

For all the Vivek bashers who are DMC supporters, I think Vivek was the one that wanted to keep DMC all along and Vlade and the FO wanted to blow it up.

Thus, this rushed trade, when Vivek finally had his moment of weakness and approved a DMC trade. Vlade had to pull the trigger.

Most of the Vets Vlade signed were on one year deals or two year deals with easy 2nd season options. Imagine if the Kings were stuck with Wes Matthews on a huge deal....ouch! I did not see any of this coming and was firmly in the "build around Boogie" camp. But in hindsight it is all so obvious and I am sure people were pointing it out and I was like not seeing it.

Most of the Vets Vlade signed were on one year deals or two year deals with easy 2nd season options. Imagine if the Kings were stuck with Wes Matthews on a huge deal....ouch! I did not see any of this coming and was firmly in the "build around Boogie" camp. But in hindsight it is all so obvious and I am sure people were pointing it out and I was like not seeing it.
I also was in the "build around Boogie" camp. I think the only thing that was obvious was Vlade built in contingency plans. It could have gone either way until it went one way.

The extent of who is executing thier vision ( please someone at least have a plan ) may never be fully known. I do not like the thought of Vivek imposing his will on the BB side of things.
On the trade: I think it was a litle from many columns. Vlade may have initialy been about building around DMC but at sometime had a change of heart. Vivek likely laid it out in a "Buddy or we keep Cuz" manner and with Boogies agent burning options to ensure a bigger payday, Vlade was left with the trade we got. Making him look less than stellar which tells me he felt strongly about cutting ties with Demarcus.
I dont see money being an issue moving forward with Vivek. I cant look it up currently but somewhere it is written the new tv revenues will only now be flowing into the Kings coffers as part of the arena deal. Meaning they now have more to play with than the last few years.
All I can say is it has not been ideal. We once again find ourselves in uncertain times. However for better or worse it will at least be differen

I hate forums as they leave ambiguity. Is your first paragraph true?

The trade may extend Vlade's life span 10 years.
The first paragraph is a true reflection of rumors I have heard from a couple of different places.
Kevin Arnovitz's long ESPN piece on Boogie and the Kings spent a couple paragraphs on her. Here's one of them:

Sources close to the Kings' nerve center say chief operating officer Matina Kolokotronis was the catalyst behind Divac's hire. "She's the only person in the organization that Vivek really trusts," says a longtime league executive. "She's the connective tissue of the organization. Her institutional knowledge is second to none, and she's politically wired in Sacramento. She knows where every body is buried." Now in her 20th season with the Kings, Kolokotronis is the team's one-woman ode to continuity. She has done it all, including negotiating player contracts, housing international players in her guest house, running the team's foundation and working the back channels of Sacramento's civic power structure. Her critics see her as a consigliere who is far too involved in basketball matters
http://www.espn.com/espn/feature/st...emarcus-cousins-sacramento-kings-real-problem