Vivek Ranadive

I think Vivek Ranadive should get some much deserved love here on this forum.

Vivek made the bold decision to hire our beloved Vlade Divac as President, knowing he did not have any FO experience, despite all the critics.

Vivek has made plenty of mistakes during his first two years as a newbie owner, but the man has passion and he is trying to win, which is much more than we could say about the Maloofs ownership.

Vivek saved this team from becoming the Seattle SuperSonics and has a new arena opening downtown next year.

I think Vivek has learned from his prior mistakes and looks like he is giving Vlade the full power to make all basketball decisions and an open wallet to do so.

We should really thank Vivek for trying his best to bring winning basketball to the Kings fans and for hiring Vlade to do it!!! :cool:

As long as basketball 3.0 is finally buried and real Kings future of BoogieMonster with smash mouth cast I'm fully onboard. Looking great so far with Vlade out front in control and Vivek back to just enjoying the ride.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
Here's the problem with all the chaos generated by Vivek, Mullin, D'Alessandro, Malone, Fegan, Karl, Divac, Cousins etc

We didn't know who to assign blame to for bad moves and we didn't know who to assign credit to for good ones.

Landry's signing? I've heard that laid at PDA, Vivek, Mullin AND Malone's feet.

Firing Malone? Was that D'Alessandro and Mullin or Vivek?

Is the rift between Karl and Cousins George's fault for trying to move him? Or was Karl trying to move him because Cousins wanted out? Or was Fegan pushing that whole agenda.

Who pushed for the Rondo signing? Gay? Cousins? Karl? Vlade? Vivek?

Anderson was a minor move but I have to assume that came from Iske and/or Walberg.

Koufos seems like a guy Karl would stump for. And we've heard that it was Rondo that pushed for a shooter resulting in Bellinelli.

I am very happy that Vivek Ranadive stepped in when Burkle was forced out and for the part he played in convincing the NBA to deny relocation. I think the new arena is going to be amazing and I credit him with a lot of that vision. I think hiring Malone was a good move. And I think hiring Vlade was a good move. I'm absolutely happy to give him credit where credit is due.

But what I want most is for this team to start winning and for the Kings to have a franchise (ownership, front office, coaches and players) that are all on the same page and experiencing success without whispers of fractures and dysfunction. Because then it will mean Vivek has become a very good owner.

The thing we have to realise is that some owners have a hands on approach to their teams (eg NFL - the late Al Davis and Ralph Wilson, Jerry Jones; NBA - Mark Cuban, Michael Jordan?, the late Jerry Buss and now Jim Buss, etc), while others have a hands off approach and let their front offices do what's needed (eg. NFL - Stephen Ross, Paul Allen; NBA - Peter Holt, Mikhail Prokhorov etc). These are just a few, and both approaches have had success, and equally, both have had their failures as well. Ultimately there is no right or wrong way to run a team.

So far we've seen Vivek do both. I think the best thing for this franchise could be for Vivek to take a hands off approach and back his front office to get the job done, and show his support and passion from court side. Though if he needs to be involved, perhaps go for a halfway house like Micky Arison who is involved to a degree, but has given Riley full control of the team operations.

For me, we should be thankful that he bought this team and saved us from relocation. What we now need to see is this team take a step forward towards being competitive and have a respectable image.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
The fact that he has given Vlade the free reigns to do as he pleases is very encouraging. What Vivek needs to do now is just sit back and enjoy the show...Vlade is a basketball mind and if he feels a change is necessary anywhere from the players to the coach, I will respect his decision. The best thing we can take away from all this is the HOPE that Vivek has finally learned his lesson to not meddle and rather become a fan now.

You throw enough darts at a board, you're bound to hit a bullseye sooner or later. I'll always have some respect for him for saving our team but the truth is he's really made a mess of things since Day 1. I think we all like what's happening with the Vlade thing but the Karl situation is hardly resolved and could be another land mind around the corner. There is going to be a lot of turbulence if we don't win this year.

gunks

Hall of Famer
too early to give him a pass
This.

I'm not giving Vivek any credit for Vlade's brilliance. No way he knew Vlade would be this good. I don't think anyone thought Vlade would be this good. At the time, it was an obvious PR hire.

Any idiot can win at roulette if they're willing to blow enough money on losing first.

Now, if Vivek can fight his "irritant" urges and stay far, far, faaaaaaaar away from any decision making.... perhaps I'll give him a break.

You won the lotto with Vlade, Mr. Ranadive.... don't **** this up.

The fact that he has given Vlade the free reigns to do as he pleases is very encouraging. What Vivek needs to do now is just sit back and enjoy the show...Vlade is a basketball mind and if he feels a change is necessary anywhere from the players to the coach, I will respect his decision. The best thing we can take away from all this is the HOPE that Vivek has finally learned his lesson to not meddle and rather become a fan now.
I agree totally.

Ah yes! The good vibe from the recent acquisitions took my attention away from the Karl situation.

Since we have praised this off-season, it's looking like all potential losses will fall on the shoulders of Karl, even though it shouldn't.

But I hope Karl doesn't do what children do: "play" the way that he doesn't want to play, and then intentionally fail, just to prove a point.

dude12

Hall of Famer
Ah yes! The good vibe from the recent acquisitions took my attention away from the Karl situation.

Since we have praised this off-season, it's looking like all potential losses will fall on the shoulders of Karl, even though it shouldn't.

But I hope Karl doesn't do what children do: "play" the way that he doesn't want to play, and then intentionally fail, just to prove a point.
I believe Karl wants to cement his legacy and is going to want to win....not go out on a losing note to his career.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
This thread is so speculative it kinda pisses me off. Its impossible to respond to intelligently. The solid wall of complete bullcrap thrown up by this organization even since the shaka man took over makes it essentially impossible to cut through and have any real idea of who deserves credit or lack thereof for anything. It is entirely possible Vivek is a complete raving egomaniac with his fingers in everything because he's clueless about being clueless. Its also entirely possible he's a naive twerp with no feel for the game who was taken advantage of. And its even possible he is a hard working learning on the fly ambitious owner who has repented for his past stupidities and is improving. Any of them could be true.

But starting a thread absolving him is pure guesswork. Not educated guesswork. Just guesswork. I am attempting to ignore Vivek right now until he sticks his neck up and clearly owns something I can either praise or pounce upon. Until that happens the only new factor, the one clear change and hope is the 7'1" guy, not the 5'6" guy. Everything else has been chaos and darkness, and even if Vlade has muscled it all back in line for the moment, if Vivek is one type of idiot or another it may not hold. I'm not going to take that leap until I've seen a lot more than 1 week of hope.

We should delay forgiveness of Vivek for now IMO. That said, the choice to let Vlade run the Front Office is proving to be a very good one. And it could be the one decision that leads us all to let bygones be bygones.

I prefer to look at what Vlade has done. Certainly trading away JT, Nik, CL and the 1st rounder for cap space is a calculated risk. But to deal with Hinkie and do the possible swap of 1st rounders for the next two seasons took some balls:) Asking that George Karl have trust in him as Vlade repeatedly stated that he, Vlade was in charge. This showed some courage and provided everyone with the knowledge that the bucks stops at Vlade. Vlade had established himself as a Basketball Man not afraid to make a decision and say what is on his mind.

Then the Vlade led Front Office Drafts WCS then inks Marco, Rajon and Kostas. Damn man!!! Defense, Shooting, play making and veterans. THREE SOLID VETERANS AND THE BEST DEFENSIVE PROSPECT IN THE DRAFT!!!!

My take from this is that everyone should trust Vlade. The Fans, The Coaches and yes, certainly the Players. I'm looking forward to watching this Man who was the Soul of our beloved Kings back in the glory days mold this current Kings group into a Basketball Organization we can all be proud of again.

In Vlade We Trust,
KB

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
Yeah, let's see how this Karl/Cuz situation goes. For all the good Vlade's done in July, that situation could blow up midseason and erase all the positive momentum we're currently seeing and more. Could see us throw another season away and worse, see Cuz on his way out.

Vivek is taking quite a risk by not firing Karl and instead hoping he and Cuz can work it out this season and going forward. That risk can be eliminated right now but it doesn't look like that'll happen. So you roll with it, but if we don't finish next season with Karl and Cuz and it blows up, can't turn around and say oops, my bad. I personally would fire Karl right now. Eliminate the risk. Next year is too important to carry such risk.

Vlade is becoming our new Malone. If he stays the course and treats Vlade well, I may get over Malone. Thumbs up for a preseason beyond my wildest dreams.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
This.

I'm not giving Vivek any credit for Vlade's brilliance. No way he knew Vlade would be this good. I don't think anyone thought Vlade would be this good. At the time, it was an obvious PR hire.
I argued repeatedly that Vlade would be good, that people would be surprised.

This thread is so speculative it kinda pisses me off. Its impossible to respond to intelligently. The solid wall of complete bullpoopoo thrown up by this organization even since the shaka man took over makes it essentially impossible to cut through and have any real idea of who deserves credit or lack thereof for anything. It is entirely possible Vivek is a complete raving egomaniac with his fingers in everything because he's clueless about being clueless. Its also entirely possible he's a naive twerp with no feel for the game who was taken advantage of. And its even possible he is a hard working learning on the fly ambitious owner who has repented for his past stupidities and is improving. Any of them could be true.

But starting a thread absolving him is pure guesswork. Not educated guesswork. Just guesswork. I am attempting to ignore Vivek right now until he sticks his neck up and clearly owns something I can either praise or pounce upon. Until that happens the only new factor, the one clear change and hope is the 7'1" guy, not the 5'6" guy. Everything else has been chaos and darkness, and even if Vlade has muscled it all back in line for the moment, if Vivek is one type of idiot or another it may not hold. I'm not going to take that leap until I've seen a lot more than 1 week of hope.
To be honest, Vivek should not be judged on the 10+ years of frustrations that the Kings fans have endured.

He is only responsible for the last 2 years, not the last 10 years. And to be honest, the frustration under Vivek really has only been from December 2014 to June 2015, once they made the bonehead decision to fire Mike Malone without a plan.

If people are going to give Vivek all the blame for hiring PDA and Mullin, then he should get some credit for hiring Vlade. You can not just say, oh, he just got lucky.

If the man has learned from his mistakes and is allowing Vlade to run everything without his meddling, then we as a fan base should appreciate a owner who can recognize his mistakes and learn from them.

Vivek is learning on the job and he has made some horrendous mistakes, but I think he clearly shows passion for the Kings and wants to win as badly as the rest of us want the Kings to win.

He did well in hiring Mike Malone and his biggest mistake was hiring PDA. PDA clearly was not ready to run a team and I think that also contributed to Vivek's meddling in the team. PDA was not fit to run the Kings and was a "Yes" man to Mullin and Vivek. Vivek has said so himself that his biggest mistake was listening to a bunch of NBA cronies (i.e. PDA and Mullin), I think he was a bit star-struck by Chris Mullin stature.

For Vivek to recognize his mistakes and state publicly that he has given full basketball control to Vlade, I think that is a step in the right direction.

As for the Karl situation, I think it is Vlade's decision now. I believe Vlade has the power to fire him, but I think that Vlade feels he can heal this Karl-Cuz relationship. Only time will tell. Vlade clearly feels that Karl is the best coach for the Kings right now and his track record is second to no other coaching candidate.

To be honest, just looking at all the big free agents changing teams (i.e LMA and DeAndre Jordan) and the reasons coming out as to why, I think there is a lot of dysfunction and dislike in many of the NBA locker rooms. Phil Jackson and Kobe really did not like each other during their glory years. A lot of the FO and players did not like Thibs in Chicago. But all the dysfunction of other teams didn't go public, unlike when PDA was in charge of the Kings.

Vlade needs to tighten up the ship and keep in-house problems, in-house. Vlade should fine or fire FO personnel, Coaches and players for leaks to media. Being a former player, I think Vlade is aware that not every locker room is harmonious and I bet he has seen worse situations than Cuz-Karl and seen those dynamics succeed in the NBA.

IF Vlade can get Karl and Cuz to co-exist and respect each other, then the Kings will be good.

Last edited:

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
Here's the problem with all the chaos generated by Vivek, Mullin, D'Alessandro, Malone, Fegan, Karl, Divac, Cousins etc

We didn't know who to assign blame to for bad moves and we didn't know who to assign credit to for good ones.

Landry's signing? I've heard that laid at PDA, Vivek, Mullin AND Malone's feet.

Firing Malone? Was that D'Alessandro and Mullin or Vivek?

Is the rift between Karl and Cousins George's fault for trying to move him? Or was Karl trying to move him because Cousins wanted out? Or was Fegan pushing that whole agenda.

Who pushed for the Rondo signing? Gay? Cousins? Karl? Vlade? Vivek?
Harry Truman, he ain't.

I believe Karl wants to cement his legacy and is going to want to win....not go out on a losing note to his career.
This is easily the most talent Karl has coached on a team since the Payton/Kemp Sonics. Fit will be an issue. Spacing will be an issue any time you get three of Rondo, Cousins, Koufos and WCS on the floor. Defense should improve from the start, mostly because it can't be worse than it was. If he can manage the talent, the season should have a good outcome.

Powder keg potential is at 9.3, though. Three alphas in the same pack (Karl, Cousins, and Rondo.) Which two are going to be betas.