USA vs ITALY - SPOILER

Hi guys, are you ready? Look and admire our team. Our principal qualities are: heart, heart and heart.
Observe our small foward Matteo Soragna, the "Ron Artest" from Italy.:D Probably he takes Lebron James.
Observe Marco Belinelli too! A terrific, terrific shooter, great defender and clutch player. Nba prospect, the next year he'll fly to the Nba.
And don't understimate the determination of our back up point guard, Marco Mordente. He's the same thing that is Gattuso for our football team.
We are the winners of this match even if we will not win on the field, cause we are taking part of this competitions without champions like Galanda(do you remember him?), Bulleri and Bargnani.

I was joking, you're favorite. But we have 6 points like you. Remember olympic games and don't understimate us.

Good night, and good luck.

Forgive my english.

Last edited:
USA getting its butt kicked so far. Weaknesses really getting exposed!

Does the US have even one set offensive play? Down by 9 at halftime.

Argentina and Spain are licking their chops :)

Carmelo is the MVP of this team so far without a doubt.

USA up 71-64 after 3. Dominated that quarter in a reversal of roles from Q2. Let's see if they can keep it up in the 4th.

85-74 USA now with 5:34 left.

Props to Wade as well... his energy and defense have made a big diff as well.

Guess it's OK US took a quarter off... they sure look like a different team now.

87-74 USA after yet another Melo layup.

Game over, US wins 94-85, Carmelo finishes with 35.

Great test for the US, they absolutely fell asleep in the second quarter and paid for it dearly. Although no one really got going other than Melo and Wade, I liked the offense the US ran int the second half. Instead of iso's for every single player trying to distribute the offensive load, the focus was on getting Melo and Wade the ball and there were actual plays, screens and ball movement. A lot less disjointed then trying to get everyone "theirs".

US also decided to play defense and focus on the defensive boards in the second half.

All-in-all, exposed some of Team USA's weaknesses, but at the same time I was glad to see adjustments made.

Carmelo continues to impress. Guy is the complete package.

Props to Italy for hanging in there and being the better team for much of the second and third quarters.

Tougher foes ahead for Team USA...

SAPPORO, Japan (AP) -- As his team left the locker room at halftime trailing Italy by nine points, captain Dwyane Wade broke into song.

"I was walking out and everybody was quiet and I just started singing something that came to mind," Wade said Wednesday night. "I just came off the NBA Finals, where my team had been down a lot (two games to none). I don't ever worry about being down. And I don't want my teammates to worry about it, either."

After the game, Wade couldn't remember what he sang. But it proved to be the right tune, with the Americans surging back to beat Italy 94-85 in the FIBA world championships.

The U.S. rallied behind Carmelo Anthony, whose 35 points were the most by an American in the world championships.

Kenny Anderson set the previous record of 34 in 1990.

Anthony scored 29 of his points in 19 electrifying minutes in the second half.
"I think I got it going after a tip-in from the free throw line," he said. "I knew once my outside shot was going it was going to open it up for my inside driving."

Wade said he had never seen Anthony that hot, at least not in person.
"When he's got it going, it's a beautiful thing because you don't know what he's going to do," Wade said. "He got it going at the right time."

Wade scored 26 points and Elton Brand added 16 as the U.S. clinched Group D. That means the U.S. will avoid Argentina or Spain, two of the tournament's powers, until the final. The Americans will play the fourth-place team in Group C on Sunday.

Marco Bellinelli led Italy with 25 points while Fabio Di Bella and Stefano Mancinelli each added 12.
After routing three overmatched opponents, the Americans were prepared for a tough test from Italy, the group's only other unbeaten team. But they didn't know how tough.

"I would say tougher than expected," Brand said. "Because if you ask me if I expected to be down nine points at halftime, I would say no."

The Americans were lucky to be that close. Their offense, which had averaged a tournament-high 115.3 points, was sluggish from the start.

The U.S. shot 39 percent in the first half, including 33 percent from 3-point range. The Americans also were dreadful from the foul line, hitting 63 percent (12-for-19).

The defense wasn't much better. Every time the U.S. tried to pressure the Italians, the ball would end up in a wide-open shooter's hands. Italy shot 58 percent in the first half, including 72 percent from inside the arc.

Searching for an answer, U.S. coach Mike Krzyzewski decided to scrap his two five-man platoons and put captains Wade, Anthony and LeBron James on the floor at the same time, along with Brand and point guard Chris Paul. Wade, Anthony and James rarely played together during the first three games.

"The team kind of sensed that we needed some kind of spark," James said. "Coach made an adjustment at halftime, and it was a great adjustment. We play well together because, for one, we don't have any egos. We know each other's games, so it worked pretty good."

Wade had liked the two-team rotation but knew that Krzyzewski wanted to put his big three together at some point. "It's something he's been waiting to do," Wade said. "It was time. We really went out there as captains and led the way back. That's our job."

Bellinelli opened the second half with a three-point play to put Italy up 48-36. Then the U.S. blitzed the Italians, outscoring them 25-6. Anthony and Wade scored 21 of those points.

By the end of the third quarter, the Americans led 71-64 and, for them, all was right in the worlds. Italy drew within three but never had a chance to take the lead the rest of the way.

"Every shot that our guys took in the second half was a pressure shot because there was pressure on them," Krzyzewski said. "I love them. I got so excited coaching them during that time. I love the heart that they showed."

They also showed some toughness. Tempers flared several times as the Americans objected to Italy's physical play.

Midway through the third quarter, Italy's Matteo Soragna was whistled for elbowing Anthony in the chest. Bad move.

Anthony responded by drilling a 3-pointer that cut the Italians' lead to 52-51. Moments later, Wade took a feed from James and jammed on a fast break to put the U.S. ahead. Italy led for 14 seconds the rest of the way.

"Maybe they were trying it not because they think we're soft but because they think we'll lose our head or lose our cool," Wade said. "But this team, we're on a different path, a different mind-set. We're out here to win ballgames. But we're not going to be punked, either."
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/basketball/nba/08/23/usa.italy.ap/index.html

Not sure if this is allowed to be said around here, but, USA gon' beat Argentina. ;)

Last edited:
i am not impressed by the argentinian team as much as i was impressed by the spaniards. unfortunately for the spanish nt, experience plays a huge part and argentina, along with their self-confidence, is the probably the best bet against the team usa.

that said, i have not seen today's game but i read somewhere that italy did not play zone defense at all during the game. it will be interesting to see how the team usa fares once "good" teams start playing zone against them.

I think they'll be fine for the most part. Based on the quickness and the shooting they have shown so far a good number of times, and of course the shooters they actually have. Good example of that was vs. Slovenia.

Kings113 said:
Not sure if this is allowed to be said around here, but, USA gon' beat Argentina. ;)
That was sarcasm there. Seriously, I know Argentina is a good team that is pretty disciplined with Nocioni/Manu/Delfino/Oberto/Scola/Sanchez/Hermann, and maybe others I don't know about.

But, Argentina I don't think will beat the USA unless the USA doesn't play up to their ability. Which, ultimately as has been shown so far, just isn't going to happen with this team of players and the coaching staff. I'd be surprised if so. Then, you take into account continuity and the developing chemistry, which has been relevant to Team USA.

Last edited:
Congratulations guys!
However I'm proud of my team.
Thanks and you should be proud! They are an excellent team for a "rebuilding" national team.:)

I was really not impressed with USA in the first half. Team USA in general needs to hit their FT's. They were bad. Something like 56% for the team. Dwayne and Melo essentially carried the team in the second half, thank goodness. I'm impressed with Anthony's all-around game.

And I got up at 3:30 AM to watch that game. :D

The US looked tired in the first half and I think they made mental mistakes because of decreased cognitive abilities brought on by slight fatigue.

I thought the turning point was in the 3rd quarter when Wade blocked this Italian big man's layup and then Chris Paul scrapped for the loose ball and got a jump ball call. The Italian kind of flailed his arms at Paul and the three US captains took exception to a big guy acting like that around a much smaller player. After that play, LeBron surprised me with his defense while Wade and Anthony really got into the zone.

The US didn't seem to run any plays or have any plays call in the first half. They need to use the pick and roll with Paul and Brand, these foreign guards can't stay with Paul if he gets a pick at the top of the key.

I'll tell you...getting up at 3:30 AM to watch the game made me appreciate even more our Kings fans who are up to watch any Kings game they can, no matter the hour. I honor yor great fandomness. (made up word:))