Tyreke Evans ROTY & 20/5/5 Watch

Im sure at the time he chose he was hardly a grown man, when your young, teams doing well do appeal to you. I dont consider it bandwagon jumping. Most of the kids born in the 1990s are man utd fans - they were simply born into the era where they dominated and hence supported them unless other factors played a significant role in there choosing of a team.

Sam Amick had some really confusing updates on his twitter

First he says
Disclaimer on my unofficial ROY polling the other day - http://bit.ly/cp8EpF - I'm hearing Curry is the heavy favorite among broadcasters.

That poll is entirely from writers.
Then he adds
Some voters turned off by way the Kings used Evans. Said one voter (who didn't know I wasn't on the beat anymore): "You cover a ball hog.

Plenty of eye-rolling over the obsession with 20-5-5 too and culture where the individual is being put ahead of the team.
But then he says
Amendment to earlier post about broadcasters: I was told Curry was the favorite among that group, not "heavy" favorite.
And

A text from another voter who fell in love with Evans the first time he saw him: "I could care less about 20-5-5. He's breathtaking."
=/

There is alot of talk about how the organisation put tyreke and his 20 5 & 5 ahead of everything and how heavily marketed it was for an individual achievement. A few of the older fans feel its abit of a joke in all honesty wonder if it will affect voting to any major extent

Still no worries bro. There's only 2 broadcasters a team..and Tyreke isn't going any lower than second place in votes. In the end he'll get the MAJORITY of votes!

Haha, I just posted how idiotic it would be if voters gave Curry the vote after having the game of his season against a team resting their players and playing scrubs, all while Curry plays the whole game with no one else to take the ball from him other than Ellis, but I think it might even be more idiotic to vote for him because they do not think marketing the 20-5-5 is right. Just idiotic the way people find the smallest things to not vote for the clear winner.

I am starting to get worried about this award race again. :(

From Scott Howard Cooper

Rookie of the Year has turned especially interesting even without the nepotism. The Warriors have mounted a late campaign that could turn the outcome in favor of Stephen Curry, much the way the public-relations staff helped deliver Most Improved Player to Monta Ellis in 2007 with a tireless phone and e-mail push. The final impact of the '10 Rookie blitz is not yet known. But of 14 writers and broadcasters polled the past few days, four said they are being at least slightly impacted by Golden State's first-hand pitch of statistics and reasoning to counter any argument that Evans or the Bucks' Brandon Jennings is more deserving. It's at least making them rethink Milwaukee's argument (and selling point) that Jennings is the only one of three with a starring role on a playoff team. Carry that out over 125 voters and the numbers really start to move.

• Interestingly, none of the 14 in the informal, unscientific sample from around the country -- nine based in Western Conference cities, five in the East -- sided with Jennings. Seven said they either have turned in or planned to turn in ballots for Evans, four were in the Curry camp before the Warriors began campaigning and three were undecided as the Thursday deadline approached. Of those swayed by convincing calls from Oakland campaign HQ, one is considering switching a planned first-place vote from Evans to Curry, another stayed with Evans but moved Curry ahead of Jennings for second in the 5-3-1 scoring system, one went from leaving Curry off his ballot to a third-place nod while dropping Darren Collison of the Hornets, and another said he will probably stay with Evans (but that the Warriors have given him pause). http://www.nba.com/2010/news/features/scott_howard_cooper/04/15/and.one/index.html
He said this morning on the radio that the Warriors have had a very aggressive campaign with the voters. Calling and emailing them every day touting Curry and giving them a counter argument if they say they are not voting for their rook (SCH said they even gave him almost 10 min on the phone, and he doesn't even have a vote!). The warriors have even reached out to the voters this morning to let them know that they can still call the league office to change their votes after Curry's game last night.

:confused:

^Jeebus.

And people thought the Kings push was offensive.
Well, to be fair for all we know the kings could have done the same--but I would think he would have mentioned that. The Kings did send out the usually "package gimmick" a few weeks back.

But, the 20-5-5 campaign was more about selling tickets and making money (the t-shirts etc..) than anything else, trying to sell something the fans would want to see and be excited about.

True, but calling people and reminding them they can change their votes that have already been cast based on the final season game? I think that's tacky. But hard to say when the shoe's on the other foot.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
I find it odd to say the least that a direct PR campaign would actually effect the way in which you assess a player. If somebody tried that with me I'd probably drop their guy entirely off my ballot just out of spite.

Now the question of what we are doing in return is interesting, not only because of the issue of whether the award gets stolen from Reke or not, but again how that makes us look to him. It is absolutley critical that we appear at all times to him to be an orgnaization that not only 100% has his back, but that is capable of delivering earned awards to him. There is nothing cute or shrugworthy about being outperformed by another orgnanization in some sort of ridiculous hype war that costs Reke an award he clearly deserves. There will come a day, sooner than we want, when we are going to have to resign this guy. And money issues or no, we simply cannot appear second class, can't appear like a place that is holding back a guy with Reke's ambitions. If there is indeed some massive hype campaign going on here, its one we have to find a way to win.

K

Kingsguy881

So Curry scored 40 points, on a defenseless bunch of d-league scrubs with no Camby in the middle and no Aldridge and a barely caring Andre Miller and a Portland squad that was just on the court because it was required. So flipping what. Put no defense and no shotblocker on the court, let Reke play 48 minutes. Despicable. The Warriors have been very classless about this whole thing.

Whatever. They helped us get sole possesion of the 3 spot AND Evans is still gonna get ROY. I hope all hell breaks loose in Oakland when we have the ROY and a top flight rookie to pair with Evans and leave them in the dusted basement that they've been in forever!

Last edited:
I find it odd to say the least that a direct PR campaign would actually effect the way in which you assess a player. If somebody tried that with me I'd probably drop their guy entirely off my ballot just out of spite.
I agree, I would be annoyed if someone did that to change my mind. BUT, it also depends on how good the PR guys for the warriors are. If they have very buddy buddy relationships with a lot of the media, then it doesn't sound as bad since its more like asking for a favor. I hope thats not the case.

This was the ESPN panel's voting results.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?page=ROY-0910

I agree, I would be annoyed if someone did that to change my mind. BUT, it also depends on how good the PR guys for the warriors are. If they have very buddy buddy relationships with a lot of the media, then it doesn't sound as bad since its more like asking for a favor. I hope thats not the case.

This was the ESPN panel's voting results.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?page=ROY-0910
I feel that ESPN panel is a good representation of how I think the overall voting is going to go: Tyreke with the overwhelming majority of votes while Curry shows a strong second and a few votes for Jennings thrown in for good measure.

I think we're hearing more chatter about Curry right now because those in his corner have a tougher arguement to prove.

Last edited:
I feel that ESPN panel is a good representation of how I think the overall voting is going to go: Tyreke with the overwhelming majority of votes while Curry shows a strong second and a few votes for Jennings thrown in for good measure.

I think we're hearing more chatter about Curry right now because those in his corner have a tougher arguement to prove.

Yeah, just hope that these voters don't get persuade to change their mind.

#
xo_da_legend says:
April 13, 2010, 10:28 AM ET

Seriously... of Tyreke Evans, Brandon Jennings and Curry... who do you think will have the best overall career and impact on the NBA?

I personally think going by the players style of play... Stephen Curry has the biggest upside. The second half of the year, he has been insane. He would get my vote.
This is what one responder to the ROY voting panel said. I find it funny that his vote went to Curry for 'bigger upside and better 2nd half of the season'. This award is NOT for the above two things, it's who had the better OVERALL season, and Tyreke was CONSISTENT all season long and ended with 20-5-5 and Curry wasn't even close. That people would vote for Curry based on perceptional upside is just plain stupid because this award has NOTHING to do with that topic!

This is what one responder to the ROY voting panel said. I find it funny that his vote went to Curry for 'bigger upside and better 2nd half of the season'. This award is NOT for the above two things, it's who had the better OVERALL season, and Tyreke was CONSISTENT all season long and ended with 20-5-5 and Curry wasn't even close. That people would vote for Curry based on perceptional upside is just plain stupid because this award has NOTHING to do with that topic!
amen

I find it ridiculous that anyone can think Curry has the biggest upside. He's very polished, two years older, and still plays poor defense. The defense he can work on (though many never do), but he's never going to be 6'6" 220. Give Tyreke a mid range jump shot and he's better than Curry could ever be.

I find it ridiculous that anyone can think Curry has the biggest upside. He's very polished, two years older, and still plays poor defense. The defense he can work on (though many never do), but he's never going to be 6'6" 220. Give Tyreke a mid range jump shot and he's better than Curry could ever be.
The very thought makes me shudder.

Yup...I give Curry an upside of John Starks(in his prime)...which isnt bad, but nothing Earth shattering. I see nothing that doesn't make me still believe that either. Reke's upside? Who knows...only time will tell...could be Penny Hardaway(healthy and in his prime)or it could be Magic freaking Johnson, we'll just have to see how our 20 year old phenom grows right before our eyes.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat

I wish I could be so sanguine. I do expect Reke to win it, but we keep hearing from sources inside the media themselves, whetehr it be SHC, Amick, or Marc Stein on Monday, that the race is going to be close and the Warriors are pulling all kinds of shennanigans backstage. I never underestimate people's penchant for stupidity.

Whatever. They helped us get sole possesion of the 3 spot AND Evans is still gonna get ROY. I hope all hell breaks loose in Oakland when we have the ROY and a top flight rookie to pair with Evans and leave them in the dusted basement that they've been in forever!
Man, I couldn't have said it any better.

To be fair to Curry, I think he has the best case for April. The other two months he won were neck and neck and I think Curry only got the nod because Evans had already won twice.

It sure sounds like this is going to be unnecessarily close but I still think the percentages are still in the high nineties for Evans.

You guys are trippin. All of the voters that ive heard say theyre voting for Evans sound absolutely convinced. It would be INSANE for a rookie to become the 4th ever to average 20-5-5 and not win ROY. It wont happen. Most people arent THAT stupid.