Tyreke and Jimmer Watch, 2014-2015 Season Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Figured I'd get one of these off and rolling since the preseason is kicking into effect and arguing about past players is one of our favorite pastimes here at Kingsfans.com (also it was bound to happen sooner or later anyways).

Tonight in the NBA's preseason opener played in front of a sold-out crowd at the ridiculously named KFC Yum! Arena (because KFC Explosive Bowel Movement Arena was apparently too long to fit on the side of the building), Jimmer Fredette's New Orleans Pelicans beat the rotting corpse of the Miami Heat, with Jimmer putting up 17 points (6-9 FG, 3-4 3P), 3 assists, 2 steals, and 2 turnovers in 30 minutes of action to lead the victorious effort.

Other former-Kings on the Pelicans roster did not do much of note, with Tyreke already injured at the start of training camp and John Salmons being exceptionally John Salmonsy. It should be noted that all of the players of a skill level that can be described as distinctly average for either team were limited to around twenty minutes or less of action. And we're also only one week removed from the start of camp so there's that.

That said, Jimmer had a pretty nice debut for the Pelicans, looking relatively in control and good from the field (not that there's ever been any question that he can shoot). In other words, Jimmer Fredette was our future and we threw our chances of winning a championship away when we released him last season.

Let the hyperbole, fawning, grand proclamations of doom, and angry, emotionally-charged arguments commence.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Don't care to follow Jimmer but I did follow Tyreke last year with NO and I will be doing the same again this year. I think this is his first injury where he is out for a long duration compared to the other times he was injured. I see the Pelicans being a playoff team this year and they need Reke to be healthy in order to do so.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
You know, you may have a point: seven million dollars guaranteed over three years really does sound like the absolute worst possible circumstance. I now know why the caged bird sings.

I keed, I keed.

To remind all of you what you lost when Sacramento gave up on Jimmer....

Screen Shot 2014-10-06 at 9.56.35 AM.png

If I remember right - the name was 3me (I seem to recall that person was from Gainesville too), and I once almost burst a blood vessel telling this individual to pipe down!
You're welcome New Orleans.

Last edited:

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
To remind all of you what you lost when Sacramento gave up on Jimmer....

View attachment 4974

If I remember right - the name was 3me (I seem to recall that person was from Gainesville too), and I once almost burst a blood vessel telling this individual to pipe down!
You're welcome New Orleans.
Hey, treach...good to see you. Feel free to check in once in a while. :)

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Have to say Jimmer's been one of the bright spots for the Pelicans to start the season. In tandem with Reke off the bench, he could be a factor this year (just as Jimmer did good when paired with T-Will or John Salmons AKA lesser versions of Reke)

Have to say Jimmer's been one of the bright spots for the Pelicans to start the season. In tandem with Reke off the bench, he could be a factor this year (just as Jimmer did good when paired with T-Will or John Salmons AKA lesser versions of Reke)
Yep. At least in principle, I understand what Petrie was trying to build with Tyreke and Cousins. Jimmer is the John Paxson guy that opens up the lane for the elite slasher and dominant big man to do their thing. Not that I think he was a good pick for the Kings, but I can see the outline of the plan through the thick cigar smoke of Maloofery.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I resisted the overwhelming urge to start a "Maloof Watch" thread but just had to share this little gem:

upload_2014-10-10_16-56-53.png

Yes, that's right. Their latest venture is "Never Hungover"...

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
Evans likely done in his preseason debut: 10pts (3-6), 4reb, 7ast, 1blk in 20 minutes. Pels by 20 over the Durant-less, Westbrook-less Thunder, after three quarters.

did he spend some time with Jimmer on the court? I always thought in theory they should compliment each other very well.
Jimmer strugles with bringing up the ball and defending whereas Tyreke needs shooting to have room for penetrating and getting to the line. Sadly it didn't work out for the kings

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
Evans got the start at SF tonight against Washington, and is having a typical "Tyreke Evans" kind of half: only four points, on 1-4 shooting (including one badly missed three-pointer) and three turnovers, but also four rebounds, six assists and three steals.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
Evans only played seven minutes in the second half, due to a Pelicans blowout win (trust me, the game wasn't as close as the final score indicated; basically the whole second half was garbage time), so he finished with 10 pts on 3-7, 5 rebounds, 7 assists, five steals, and the same three turnovers.

did he spend some time with Jimmer on the court? I always thought in theory they should compliment each other very well.
Jimmer strugles with bringing up the ball and defending whereas Tyreke needs shooting to have room for penetrating and getting to the line. Sadly it didn't work out for the kings
they're both sooooo flawed though

Status
Not open for further replies.