Ty Corbin the X-factor

The kings defense and focus has suddenly improved. The only major player addition is Darren Collision.

Darren has been solid, but I think we are missing a real big reason the kings have made such a sudden and great improvement: Coaching, and the new top assistant coach: Tyronne Corbin.

In summer league, the kings looked lost. In steps ty Corbin as the coach and the kings win the whole summer league championship.

Corbin is old school and from jerry sloan's coaching tree. I think he has been pivotal to the sudden change in the kings play.

Only problem being, if the kings continue like this, he will be a hot head coaching candidate next summer.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
You may be right, or it might be increased familiarity and more time to digest the defensive schemes. Rudy in his interview after the game today said they've been practicing their butts off. I don't care who is responsible behind the scenes as long as they keep doing whatever it is that they're doing :)

The kings defense and focus has suddenly improved. The only major player addition is Darren Collision.
Not completely true. You have Darren, Omri and a healthy Landry (who played barely any meaningful minutes last year.) Then you have Rudy and Reggie who arrived mid-year last year and they have gotten accustomed to this system and coaching staff. Add Ramon and Nik and that's two other new players who have gotten decent minutes so far this year.

So there's alot of new players in this rotation. The team and entire roster is buying into defense. There seems to be a culture change.

Certainly you may be able to contribute some of that to Corbin but there's alot more going on here.

What can't be ignored is the spacing and the pacing. Pace is slower and the Kings are playing their game in the half-court. We're not taking bad shots. Everyone is engaged. That leads to being able to set up on defense and have everyone focused on the defensive end.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
Who knows for sure but Malone wasn't just some scrub we picked up on the cheap. He was largely the architect behind Golden State and his departure was what set the wheels in motion for Jackson's fall from grace.

But no doubt Corbin comes from good stock and therefore is another guy that has turned the culture of this team around. Winning begets winning.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
Also I thinks it's worth noting that an assistant coach leaving after he teaches the players how to control the pace and trust each other on offense isn't the worst thing in the world. Once the seeds have been sown and the wins start to stack up, the players will want to continue those good habits because they want to keep winning. And as long as the core of the team remains intact, the players themselves can teach the new guys what they need to know. The trick is finding the right personnel to get you there in the first place.

Give Malone credit. He wanted a replacement for his father at lead assistant and bided his time until he hired Corbin, whom I think is a real steal.
Yes, kudos to Malone. A lot of first or second year coaches would be leery of having a top assistant with more head coaching experience than them.

When Malone's dad left at the end of the pre-season last year, it left him in a bad position and they went into the season with very little coaching experience.

Hopefully, Ty Corbin sticks around for a while as Malone's top assistant, because I think the players are responding to him.

I liked the addition of Corbin and I'm sure he's been a positive influence on the Kings schemes, but I'm not sure he's the biggest factor. Players seem to be buying in and playing for each other in a way we haven't seen for nearly a decade, DC is slowing down opposing PGs more effectively than we've seen in past years, and finally Cousins is playing very good team defense on the back end. I don't think he'll ever be that elite shot-blocker, but he is blocking/changing more shots than he has in the past and he is putting himself in great position to shut down the lane. I've been really impressed by his mental approach to the defensive end thus far this year. He's really demonstrating that "do what's best for the team" mind-set on defense.

My thoughts exactly. The difference in summer league once he arrived was almost instantaneous. I have to believe that Malone is listening and learning as well, because he's a smart guy and Corbin won't be an assistant much longer.

Darren has been solid, but I think we are missing a real big reason the kings have made such a sudden and great improvement: Coaching, and the new top assistant coach: Tyronne Corbin.

In summer league, the kings looked lost. In steps ty Corbin as the coach and the kings win the whole summer league championship.

Corbin is old school and from jerry sloan's coaching tree. I think he has been pivotal to the sudden change in the kings play.

Only problem being, if the kings continue like this, he will be a hot head coaching candidate next summer.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
I like seeing the Kings slowing the offense down and just pounding teams to death with post ups with Cousins and Gay. Corbin is definitely a nice addition, he's had at least four years of head coaching experience.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Face it. As the year goes on, we're going to continue to try to figure out what exactly it was that let us turn a corner. It's early and there will most likely be a lot of bumps in the road, but I think we're going to realize at some point that it wasn't any one thing. It was a perfect storm of events that caused Sacramento's Big Bang.

I like seeing the Kings slowing the offense down and just pounding teams to death with post ups with Cousins and Gay. Corbin is definitely a nice addition, he's had at least four years of head coaching experience.
This type of basketball is solid, highly fundamental ball, and it tends to be far more successful in the playoffs and in close games that matter.

Last edited: