Tropical Island Movie Draft Thread - ROUND 20 FINISHED!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
What I liked about player rankings:
People that put 2 months of time into this should have more weight than someone who just looks at the final lists, by allowing them input into the seeding it insures that those who played get to influence at least who the potential final matchups will be, but once the seeds are set anything can happen when the voting goes to the public at large.
While it is nice to see the rankings, it really doesn't mean much at all, since they are not true votes of any kind.

And what would make VF's vote on a ranking any less informed as mine? I know she has been following along for fun. Shoot, she's probably seen more of these movies than I have!

So for me the initial ranking is a fairly painless (I assume the vote tallying isn't too complex), but pretty much pointless exercise. Heck, put us in alphabetical order. I don't care. ;) I'll take on AleksandarN. Probably get my behind kicked like the last draft, but who cares. We've been putting these lists together for what, a month and a half? Let's move it! :D

The flip side of that is that we all of course have an interest in the voting, and in taking this entirely too seriously land might even vote strategically.
Hmmm, I guess. Did people actually do that? I didn't. Since its all secret ballot at that point, how would you know you were influencing the rankings?

And what would make VF's vote on a ranking any less informed as mine? I know she has been following along for fun. Shoot, she's probably seen more of these movies than I have!
VF is probably in the minority since she probably followed the entire thread. Most people didn't and probably don't take the time to read every post. I'm not even sure if all the participants do, but to me it just seems like a courtesy to give everyone who played along first crack at the rankings.

But then again, I'm not the commissioner. And since I didn't play this draft, if the commissioner wants to have a secret ballot for rankings, reassign draft picks to the commissioner's lineup, and have another secret vote where the commissioner receives 99.9% of the votes, who am I to complain?

Okay I have a few minutes before I have to take off again so let's have a little update.

First of all, sure these threads are fun. But rule additions are going to happen. Eventually. However, I realize this rule addition is semi-arbitrary and really only works under the assumption that people will put more time into their picks if they know they might be worth double. If you are taking a test and it could be worth double points toward your grade, would you take extra time to study? Chances are yes, but this of course is not some universal law that would govern everyone's actions.

I found out right before round 18 that the majority of you take these threads very, very seriously. I thought maybe a tighter ranking system would appeal to you guys, but as you all pointed out the ranking system in itself is just an interesting insight on the workings of the draft and really not an exact science. So, unlike the fiasco a couple rounds ago I will drop this right here. However, I think a ranked seeding will be just as fair, if not more so, than random order. Plus, it will be interesting to boot. So yes, please send me your coaches poll rankings of the strongest 15 drafts excluding yourself. Let's try to have these in by midnight PST August 4th.

Also, please everyone, vote sincerely on the lists you like best. Do not invoke any strategy here. I want these lists to be as real of a benchmark of the overall strength of the lists as they can be and would rather them not become convoluted with strategic rank placements.

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
VF is probably in the minority since she probably followed the entire thread. Most people didn't and probably don't take the time to read every post.
Thing is, I don't see how this matters in the least.

The movies are what they are, and either you like them or you don't. I don't think reading about how great you found Battlefield Earth (to use tradepeja's example) would make me think it was really a good movie if I hated it when I saw it. I personally am not going to vote your list higher because I read your reasons for picking the movie, I am ranking your list on the strength of the list.

Thing is, I don't see how this matters in the least.

The movies are what they are, and either you like them or you don't. I don't think reading about how great you found Battlefield Earth (to use tradepeja's example) would make me think it was really a good movie if I hated it when I saw it. I personally am not going to vote your list higher because I read your reasons for picking the movie, I am ranking your list on the strength of the list.
Well if you've been playing along for 2 months and following the discussions you're more likely to see a movie you haven't seen or revisit it if a person makes a compelling case. Ok, maybe you aren't, but people are and its clear from reading posts that this has happened, especially in some of the other drafts.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Public apology: I made a comment a couple of pages back that was totally inappropriate and just wrong. tradepeja and I have exchanged barbs on an almost constant basis but my comments were over the line and I apologize.
-------------------------------------------------------
As far as the voting goes, I think the real fun of these threads is in the drafting. What happens afterwards is just the icing on the cake, since the "best list" will be based on each person's individual preferences.
-------------------------------------------------------

Again, I'm sorry, tradepeja. I was out of line.

I would study for a test that was some multiple of my grade not someone else's. I also probably wouldn't have my study habits change much if it was arbitrary whether or not my grade got upped because I guessed right in the pick a number game.

I'll step off here before I launch into rule changes: timing thereof and rule changes: merits thereof...

I'll get my list in I think later this week once I've had a chance to look at the lists again.

Saw this done in the Album draft, so just for fun, here are 11 movies that just missed being picked by me.

The first four are the movies "no one likes but me" I planned to pick before the Dark Knight fiasco.

The Emperor's New Groove - 2000
Paint Your Wagon - 1969
SLC Punk - 1998

Sneakers - 1992
The Great Escape - 1963
Run Lola Run - 1998
Amadeus - 1982
Superman - 1978
Wayne's World - 1992
Speed - 1994
Garden State - 2004
Miracle - 2004

And these are the five movies that hurt the most to see drafted by someone else.

Gladiator (LoungeLizard)
The Shawshank Redemption (Dime Dropper)
National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation (tradepeja)
Swingers (D-Mass)

Fight Club (GoGoGadget)

P.S. Hard to believe not a single "classic" Disney cartoon in the old style (sans Pxar) was taken.

I was also planning on posting all that was available from the rest of my list.

Well... the rest of the list that was left over after I randomly threw out about 40 titles -- the first list was too much of a monster to even make sense of. So, in no particular order:

1. GATTACA (1997)
  2. Go (1999)
  3. Ed Wood (1994)
  4. Raising Arizona (1987) -- how was this one not taken??
  5. True Romance (1993)
  6. From Dusk Till Dawn (1996)
  7. From Hell (2001)
  8. Croupier (1998)
  9. Three Kings (1999)
  10. Hero (2002)
  11. Female Trouble (1974)
  12. American Psycho (2000) -- again, how was this one not picked???
  13. Desperado (1995)
  14. 12 Monkeys (1995)
  15. Closer (2004)
  16. All About My Mother (1999)
  17. Dead Man (1995)
  18. Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown (1988)
  19. Gold Diggers of 1933 (1933)
  20. Touch of Evil (1958)
  21. A Streetcar Named Desire (1951)
  22. Ghost World (2001)
  23. Grindhouse (2007) -- the theatrical release w/ previews, etc.
  24. The Mask (1994)
  25. The Wedding Singer (1998)

I have no full list of movies, but I know if it had went a few more rounds or so Sister Act, WarGames, Minority Report, The Prisoner of Azkaban (the best Harry Potter movie by far), and The Misfits

Oh, almost forgot this classic.

Rashomon - 1950

This is my personal favorite Kurosawa film, but I went with Seven Samurai to fill the gap left after missing out on Gladiator and Braveheart.

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
Some others for me:

Abyss (Special Edition) (1989)
Shrek (2001)
Hellboy (2004)
Lost in Space (1998)
The Negotiator (1998)
Streets of Fire (1984)
The Warriors (1979)
The Three Musketeers (1993)
From the Hip (1987)
The In-Laws (1979)

Probably more if I think about it, but I have to get to work - running late as it is.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
While You Were Sleeping
Harry Potter I
Star Trek IV
Bourne 2
Twelve Angry Men deux
Castaway -- to give me hope
Pale Rider
Gattaca
The Replacements
Emma
Airplane II
Twelve Monkeys
Rocky Balboa

Note the Twelve Angry Men deux pick -- I sat on that the entire draft after Monty's surprise Rnd 1 steal, but eventually let it go not because of lack of quality, but because it felt a little trample on the toesy. In any case, if you ahve not seen it, you should -- it is every bit as good as the orignal. A Showtime movie from the late 90s that is basically a reshoot of the original movie, but updated to reflect racial diversity in the 12 men. Written by the same guy who wrote the orignal back in 1957, and identical through long stretches, including the details of the case etc. And get this cast: Jack Lemmon (playing the Henry Fonda role), George C. Scott, James Gandolfini, Courtney B. Vance, Edward James Olmos and a whole cast of familiar character actors. Even got a good performance out of Tony Danza as the shallow got-to-get-to-my-baseball-game juror. I happen to won both versions, and its a real tossup.

-------------------------------

Oh, and these were the ones on my original lists that others took:

Rocky
Something About Mary
Aliens
Top Secret
Leon
Spiderman 2
Ace Ventura
Lethal Weapon
Field of Dreams
Twelve Angry Men
Airplane
Groundhog Day
Princess Bride
Shawshank Redemption
The Fugitive
Alien
Demolition Man

(although truthfully there were others I never bothered adding to my lists because I knew they would be taken before I got to them -- i.e. Gladiator, Braveheart, Pulp Fiction, Saving Private Ryan etc.)

Last edited:

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
Ah, yes, the ones that got away (either wanted them for my list or would have been a backup of high ranking):

Aliens - 1986
Austin Powers: International Man of Mystery - 1997
Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope - 1977
The Incredibles - 2004
Robocop (20th Anniversary Edition) - 1987
The Usual Suspects - 1995
Die Hard - 1988
Gladiator - 2000
Predator - 1987
Ghostbusters - 1984
National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation - 1989
Airplane! - 1980
The Matrix - 1999
Monty Python and the Holy Grail - 1975
Batman Begins - 2005
Serenity - 2005
The Road Warrior (Mad Max 2) - 1981
The Dark Knight - 2008
Lethal Weapon - 1987
Blade Runner (The Director's Cut) - 1992
The Terminator - 1984
O Brother, Where Art Thou? - 2000
Tombstone - 1993

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Crap, I actually forgot Shakespeare in Love.

And I briefly pondered taking both The Flying Guillotine as a hilarious kung fu movie, and The Day of the Triffids for an old fun monsterer.

Oh, and these were the ones on my original lists that others took:

Rocky
Something About Mary
Aliens
Top Secret
Leon
Spiderman 2
Ace Ventura
Lethal Weapon
Field of Dreams
Twelve Angry Men
Airplane
Groundhog Day
Princess Bride
Shawshank Redemption
The Fugitive
Alien
Demolition Man
I seem to remember you making quite a racket about Warhawk snagging Conan the Barbarian ... or are you still in denial about that one? ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.