Tropical Island Movie Draft Thread - ROUND 20 FINISHED!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
My final pick: The Endless Summer (1966)

This, to me, is the single greatest documentary and sports film of all time; pure and simple. Every other "great" sports film follows the same story, underdog perseveres seemingly insurmountable odds against them and achieves greatness... <yawn> It is like every sports film is the same film! Except this one... this movie is about a couple surfers trying to find the perfect wave by traveling all around the globe; following the idea that if you continually travel around the world, you could truly experience an "endless summer" and you, the viewer, get to go along for the ride. They also take the opportunity to expose people to surfing that have never seen surfing before... of course, this being '66 they are on longboards, such a cool film.

As a documentary, the commentary is funny, the premise is captivating, and at no point do you feel like someone is distorting facts or evidence with "Hollywood Magic" to push a social or political agenda. This, to me, is the greatest single problems with modern documentaries, they are hopelessly slanted and people can see that. So instead of exposing all people to new things, places, and people, they serve to solidify the beliefs of those who already agree with the premise and, for those who do not agree with the premise, it serves to expose the filmmaker as a liar and distorter of truth making the people who believe the premise suspect of immorality.

If you have not seen The Endless Summer, you life is not complete.

My last pick:

Dolores Claiborne (1995)

This is perhaps not the most popular choice for a Stephen King adaptation, especially for one starring Kathy Bates. It is, however, my favorite. Amazing how everyone in this film is miserable, the setting is miserable, the situation is miserable, and yet the movie grabs me. Kathy Bates was great, of course, but I thought Jennifer Jason Leigh did an admirable job as well portraying a woman with a less-than-stellar childhood who reluctantly comes back to this small coastal town to support her mother through a murder investigation. Not a movie I could watch every day, but my island needed something like this.

Well, that was definitely fun while it lasted.

Now, the playoff rounds to come will play very much like Slim's in the music draft.

I am extremely skittish now about adding any of the small twists I had intended, because as I've learned, you guys hate the twists.

I'm not going to be around much today, but you guys can start sending in the coaches poll, rankings everyone 1-15.

I had intended to add in a random multiplier based on people picking a number between 1-100. The 3 closest to a number I've chosen will have each of their votes placed in twice, effectively making each vote worth double. The main reason for doing this would be for people to better look over their choices, as I heard of a lot of people just throwing their picks in at the music draft. When the voting came in, many people were separated in seeding by less than 5 points.

To make this perfectly transparent I would post the number I chose and the coaches who got their voting boards doubled at the end of the coaches poll round. Also, I would pick it before I read any tallies, and send this number to a non-participating member for confirmation. My list would be exempt, obviously. In the event of a tie, up to 5 voting boards would be allowed to be doubled.

Again, if this is too wild, then I'll leave it off the table. I am just thinking this would allow for a better and more interesting coaches voting round.

Let me know, and good luck to everyone in the playoffs.

Last edited:

Now, the playoff rounds to come will play very much like Slim's in the music draft.

I am extremely skittish now about adding any of the small twists I had intended, because as I've learned, you guys hate the twists.

I'm not going to be around much today, but you guys can start sending in the coaches poll, rankings everyone 1-15.

I had intended to add in a random multiplier based on people picking a number between 1-100. The 3 closest to a number I've chosen will have each of their votes placed in twice, effectively making each vote worth double. The main reason for doing this would be for people to better look over their choices, as I heard of a lot of people just throwing their picks in at the music draft. When the voting came in, many people were separated in seeding by less than 5 points.

To make this perfectly transparent I would post the number I chose and the coaches who got their voting boards doubled at the end of the coaches poll round. Also, I would pick it before I read any tallies, and send this number to a non-participating member for confirmation. My list would be exempt, obviously. In the event of a tie, up to 5 voting boards would be allowed to be doubled.

Again, if this is too wild, then I'll leave it off the table. I am just thinking this would allow for a better and more interesting coaches voting round.

However you want to do it.

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member

OK, look, I know you are not interested in following the straight and narrow, but what is the point of this?

Drop the multipliers and "twists", no need to get fancy at this stage. Everyone gets a vote and their votes count equally. Who is to say that those whose votes you planned on counting twice would be any more "considered" than any other? I mean, they could be making the same "quick" vote as any other but their votes count twice in the rankings? Why???

Good Lord, man, just keep up with the thread as commissioner and get out of the way of the voting.

I am still waiting for a bit more input here. And Warhawk as far as your comments, the whole point of the multiplier would be for people to weigh their picks a bit more in light of the fact that they might count double. Sure it could happen that someone who took no time to line up his picks gets the number right, but odds are as a general whole, it will make people take a bit more consideration to their picks.

I will be back later tonight, if the general consensus is negative again, we can through it out. I just want to see a few more opinions.

And also, you cannot rank yourself in these lists. Please keep the lists to the 15 other participants as its obvious practically anyone would place themselves at #1.

i would rank my choices the same way whether or not a multiplier is a part of the points system. so i guess my vote is...whatever? it doesn't seem like it would be a factor to me, though (on the strategy, nor the outcome).

I'm opposed to the idea because it simply seems unnecessary. There seems to be a lot of stuff being attributed to how the music draft was perceived to have played out that I don't think necessarily warrants the perception. But I'll go with the flow if the group likes the idea.

Beyond that, I don't think the coaches poll really makes a difference, the board folk aren't voting based on the rankings, they are voting on their affinity for a particular list. I don't see how the ranking plays into it other than to decide whose list I would want to go up against. If there was some "scientific" factoring to help folks come up with their seeding votes like a comparable SOS/RPI, then we could talk. Otherwise this seems like an arbitrary reason to add a multiplier.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
I am still waiting for a bit more input here. And Warhawk as far as your comments, the whole point of the multiplier would be for people to weigh their picks a bit more in light of the fact that they might count double. Sure it could happen that someone who took no time to line up his picks gets the number right, but odds are as a general whole, it will make people take a bit more consideration to their picks.

I will be back later tonight, if the general consensus is negative again, we can through it out. I just want to see a few more opinions.

And also, you cannot rank yourself in these lists. Please keep the lists to the 15 other participants as its obvious practically anyone would place themselves at #1.

There is a theoretical quandry, but I have no idea how major of a problem it is, or really how important it is to correct. I was pondering just letting the babes islands be randomly matched up myself so as to avoid the #1/#8 seeding = nearly automatic results in the playoffs since many of the same people who voted the seedings are now voting the playoffs. But probably better to have a system in which everybody counts equally than one where some, however randomly, get superpowers. That could backfire as much as help.

Warhawk

Staff member
Well, just playing it safe. Never want to leave it up to chance that you might want to give a -20 multiplier to any unincluded list or something. :p

The rankings seem to be the least important aspect of the draft. It's more of a house-keeping measure just to get the playoff portion kicked off.

Unless we really think voters will be swayed by rankings, I'm for Brick's idea of random match-ups.

Otherwise, just sending in our rankings as normal seems pleanty efficent to me.

Warhawk

Staff member
Unless we really think voters will be swayed by rankings, I'm for Brick's idea of random match-ups.

Otherwise, just sending in our rankings as normal seems pleanty efficent to me.
Agreed, but he asked for lists, so I provided mine. I agree that a randomized playoff seeding would be best. But frankly i really don't care, let's just get the seedings made somehow and get to voting.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
What I liked about player rankings:
People that put 2 months of time into this should have more weight than someone who just looks at the final lists, by allowing them input into the seeding it insures that those who played get to influence at least who the potential final matchups will be, but once the seeds are set anything can happen when the voting goes to the public at large.

People that put 2 months of time into this should have more weight than someone who just looks at the final lists, by allowing them input into the seeding it insures that those who played get to influence at least who the potential final matchups will be, but once the seeds are set anything can happen when the voting goes to the public at large.

Hmm, good point. Plus, it's interesting to see where we rank anyway.

Like I said, I've already sent in my ranking, so whatever is decided I'm golden with.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat

The flip side of that is that we all of course have an interest in the voting, and in taking this entirely too seriously land might even vote strategically.

There are issues, or potential ones there. Its just such a minor process, for a pure entertainment thread, that I don't think its worth stressing over much. If this was how we were going to elect the next President, all these little considerations maybe matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.