Status
Not open for further replies.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
Okay then...
"Spazz" - Elastik Band
[yt=Spazz]jFKWsfOKLsQ[/yt]
It seems fitting that this song that I know very little about has such a bizarre youtube presence as well. I first heard it in 1992, and it has been stuck in my head ever since. My friend Virgil and I went to the used record shop next to our dormitory and he picked up a 60s garage compilation which I believe was Pebbles #2. This had a few other great tracks on it as well, but Spazz just seemed so horrifically un-PC that we had to listen to it over and over (on vinyl, no less). I know next to nothing else about this song, but I absolutely must have it on my island.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I've been holding these two picks, so here we go.

First, at #29, the stereotypical song for someone stuck on an island for all eternity would have to be the disco classic:

I Will Survive - Gloria Gaynor

[yt=Survive!!]uVqWV5UmJPo[/yt]

I'll have my final pick up shortly.

Note: I haven't seen the whole video. If it's out-of-bounds for the board, I hope one of the other mods will take care of it.

Last edited:

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Okay... Drum roll please.

With the first pick of the last round of the IPOD singles draft thread, I choose the timeless and totally unique classic by a band you most likely couldn't name if your life depended upon it.

They're Coming to Take Me Away - Napoleon XIV
[yt=Take Me Away!!]hnzHtm1jhL4[/yt]

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
Ok I think I've finally reluctantly settled on my last pick, if nothing else the title is fitting for round 30:
"Final Transmission" - The Street Dogs (2006 - State of Grace)
[yt=Final Transmission]R02SU7eMBps[/yt]
The Street Dogs are one of the few modern acts I never miss. I've been a fan of frontman Mike McColgan since the early days of the Dropkick Murphys and he is one of the most friendly and humble musicians I've ever met. In fact before DKM he was just a regular guy that I'd see occasionally in my neighborhood sandwich shop back when I lived in Boston. He was a gulf war vet and left his first band as they were on the verge of becoming huge to become a Boston Fire Fighter. But man could he light up a stage and I was delighted when I found out he couldn't stay away for long. I could have picked any number of their tunes, most a lot more energetic and uplifting than this one, but this really grabs at me despite the somewhat lame video.

Final round everyone! Those of you that have not provided links will most likely lose votes if voters are unfamiliar with the track. Please get on it. Everyone should check their links for accuracy and let me know of any bad links. This is when you can make sure all selections have vids linked or embedded.

Please start thinking about rankings folks, this is going to be a bit cumbersome. If any of you are unfamiliar with the ranking process, I will need a list, in order, of the other 15 participants playlists' (not including your own), ranking them from 1-15. Please pm me your rankings list as soon as the draft is complete.

Last edited:
Since I was in the neighborhood and saw that MKF picked, let me drop my final one as well. This was tough but I decided to go away from random selections from either the ipod or itunes and instead go with something personal.

No More Drama - Mary J. Blige - Family Affair

This song, as I think I mentioned in the album thread is a mantra song, I reached for it when this album came out to help me deal with something and I needed to be reminded. I've needed it again the last 6 mos and it's been there.

This song has been for me about drawing a line in the sand and saying no to the um…drama. ;) and rising triumphantly out of it. It never hurts to be reminded that out of darkness can come light. MaryJ’s spirit and power drive it home.

This particular performance at the Grammys…I remember just saying “wow” when it was over. She was feeling it....and I felt it too. ...

"It's up to us to chose, whether we win or lose, and I chose to win...."............Preach it Mary J!

[yt=No More Drama (Live)]_se5P3yioO4[/yt]

original video

Since I was in the neighborhood and saw that MKF picked, let me drop my final one as well. This was tough but I decided to go away from random selections from either the ipod or itunes and instead go with something personal.

No More Drama - Mary J. Blige - Family Affair

This song, as I think I mentioned in the album thread is a mantra song, I reached for it when this album came out to help me deal with something and I needed to be reminded. I've needed it again the last 6 mos and it's been there.

This song has been for me about drawing a line in the sand and saying no to the um…drama. ;) and rising triumphantly out of it. It never hurts to be reminded that out of darkness can come light. MaryJ’s spirit and power drive it home.

This particular performance at the Grammys…I remember just saying “wow” when it was over. She was feeling it....and I felt it too. ...

"It's up to us to chose, whether we win or lose, and I chose to win...."............Preach it Mary J!

[yt=No More Drama (Live)]_se5P3yioO4[/yt]

original video
great song. I wanted to pick a couple of Mary's song but they just missed my cut off. Damn we should of extended this draft to 50 songs

For my last pick...

Tiny Dancer - Elton John - Madman Across the Water

[yt=Almost Famous - Tiny Dancer]7Qn3tel9FWU[/yt]

I've always loved this song...and it played a prominent role in a memorable scene from one of my favorite movies, Almost Famous.

Great draft, everyone...picking winners is going to be difficult.

For the first part of this draft I was focusing almost solely on my favorite classic rock songs I grew up on and my favorites I have found myself. I picked one of my all-time favorites, Hey Jude, my dad's all-time favorite, Stairway, and my mom's, Brown Eyed Girl. Actually, I almost went completely classic rock in the first half of my draft, with something like 12 of my first 15 picks being of that "genre" (if you can even call it one).

I forced myself to not pick another classic rock song for the rest of the draft (well, excluding my "Something" hiccup....damn you Wikipedia!). That is, unless no one took this song. And no one did.

Its a song that is in the top 50 of several all-time song lists, has been covered countless times, and was sort of a theme song for the movie Easy Rider. Its also pretty good too.

[yt=The Weight]2-xQoNDFwlE[/yt]

The Weight - The Band - Music from Big Pink

Most of you probably won't recognize this song by name, but if you listened to it above you would. Its too bad they don't have the album track on YouTube because the above is a sort of poor-quality live version. It is surprising how well they do though with the lead singer as a drummer (this one isn't overdubbed though).

The song tells an interesting story, and the harmony in the chorus is just awesome. I'll gladly take it has my #30.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Huh -- that's kind of the version I've always known, or at least sounded like it.

Did not know the drummer was the singer in that crew -- mostly a 70s phenomenon that you don't see much of anymore. Methinks they set his mike up too high though -- he was having to straning to reach it.

Last edited:

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
And, for the final instrumental:

The Future Sound of London - Papua New Guinea

[yt=Papua New Guinea]GCoCTkC0oL0[/yt]

I don't know who was smoking what when they made the video they included with this, but the song is the important part.

One of the early songs I heard and loved when starting to listen to some house/ambient/techno and still think it just has an awesome groove to it.

Last edited:
Sorry guys, my internet conviently gave out on me a couple days ago and it won't get fixed til thursday. I managed to get on at my dads work so heres my next and final pick.

[yt=Jump]8e-vgQSqNtA[/yt]

Jump - Van Halen - 1984

The moment I picked "Le Freak", this pick was set in motion. I cannot possibly hear that tune without needing to hear this one after. The guitar groove is pretty fat sped up just a little. I am sure no one cares but this song was huge in the underground SF house scene and actually is pretty legendary. This is the original mix, so the extended beginning and end are to make it easy to mix in and out of. This track was meant entirely for the dance floor or dance beach in this case.

Two Fat Guitars - Direckt - Original 12" mix

http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqjZax2u3l4&feature=related

[yt=Two Fat Guitars]kqjZax2u3l4&feature=related[/yt]

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
Yes, well, I didn't have any plans going into the draft with regards to a theme, but I started out with a club/dance hit, and I figured I might as well end the same way... Unfortunately, that still left me with a hundred or so to pick from. So, I pared that list down to fifteen or so, which was, in turn, narrowed down to five and, eventually, down to two... which I've been waffling back and forth on ever since MBF's last pick. But, since it's finally my turn, I'll go with the one which won my most recent coin toss:

[yt=Baby, what's your phone number?]HfHQ0T_hvrQ[/yt]

777-9311 - The Time - What Time Is It? - 1982

Bricklayer

Sorry for the slight delay, just been replaying my next 5 or 6 possibilities on youtube, and everytime I hear a new one I say "aha! that's it!" until of course I queue the next one when I change my mind again. Just a sec.

Bricklayer

Okay, made up my mind...or at least made up my mind to make up my mind because I'm calling my final pick scrum one giant tie. So last pick:

[yt=Otherside - Red Hot Chili Peppers]oDypCFSGMQo[/yt]

Otherside - Red Hot Chili Peppers - Californication (1999)

I am not a huge RHCP fan. Never have been. I can count the number of songs of theirs I really like on one hand. But this would be the second finger on that hand (my #1 Under the Bridge (not surprisingly totally atypical of most of their work) is already taken). Great dark groove that sticks with you. And gives me something else from the 90s, which may have ended up slightly underrepresented for me despite likely being the single largest decade in my music collection. Oh well, thx for playing folks.

Status
Not open for further replies.