TREY BACK

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
This is pretty decent value for the Kings. That contract comes in at 6% of the salary cap. Since in free agency you should expect to pay about 3% of the salary cap for 1 WS, that would suggest that if Trey comes in at ~2 WS per season, he meets value. The last two seasons Trey has averaged 3.1 WS per season, so we can hope to get value out of that deal.

I know we're not in the Barnes thread, but the same logic applies to HB. His contract is right around 12.25% of the salary cap, so you're hoping for about 4 WS, and over the past four seasons with the Kings Barnes has averaged about 5.4 WS. Both guys look like good value.

(And yes, WS aren't everything, but they're at least something you can put an all-around value to and maybe it approximates real all-around value.)
Like Shakespeare said, there are three kinds of lies: Damned Lies, Vinny Basketballerinos, and Capt. Factorials.

Love Trey on this team. He was effusive in his praise of the team/teammates and his loyalty to the showed. This dude fought every second he was on the court and was the only guy to show some pride when we got walloped by the Bucks and Giannis was tryin to get cute... Loved the energy, fire, flexibility and toughness from this guy. Well deserved and glad he is back. Unlike others, im also glad HB is back. That said, Lyles being had woth early bird means he can be done last (frankly i thought initially they should have done the same with HB given his full Bird rights), but i think his cap hold was so enormous it would have prevented it. Only move i haven't liked was Duarte. Hope im wrong on it.

Is that not a good thing? We were 3rd seed and had a great chance to win it all.. Chemistry is a great thing, and this team has it in spades.
Remember how the Kings lost the first four games of the season, and the fans were up in arms? They lost by 15 to Memphis in the fourth game.

The chemistry had not yet started to mesh. Then, all of a sudden, starting in November, they won seven straight. As you said, "this team has it in spades."

Anybody down on Christian Wood? I feel like if the Kings can't get Lopez (which appear so), they should go after Wood, someone with length, block shot and rebound. He probably want more money but his statistics are off the chart. He's really a high caliber player but for some reason team keep trading him...probably due to off court issues.

Anybody down on Christian Wood? I feel like if the Kings can't get Lopez (which appear so), they should go after Wood, someone with length, block shot and rebound. He probably want more money but his statistics are off the chart. He's really a high caliber player but for some reason team keep trading him...probably due to off court issues.
I was expecting more of a splash tonight. Hollinger has Wood as #4 among remaining free agents. He is a good player, but as you point out, has been with seven different teams. Do the Kings even have enough cap space to sign him, after resigning Barnes and Lyles tonight? I am no salary expert.

IMO, the writing is on the wall about Christian Wood. For someone to put up his numbers and be let go by team after team, there must be something teams are not liking once he's in the clubhouse. I'm not really willing to sacrifice the Kings all world chemistry for a potential locker room problem.

I'm all for Christian Wood! It'd be insane to land him now after all the moves we've already made, so dont listen to any naysayers... Always been a believer in him since UNLV and he's outperformed on bad teams who aren't trying to use him right n just got him as a band-aid fix for massive systemic issues --- if we can get him here, a very healthy basketball situation with 2 unselfish stars, I think a lot of smoke would be cleared over whats gone on with him last few seasons ---- seems whereever he lands there's gonna be that sort of Frank Costanza style airing of grievances..

He seems like a player who'd be excellent with De'Aaron. If he really grabs a ton of boards he'd be such a homerun, but he also can really help us with some shotblocking.

I was expecting more of a splash tonight. Hollinger has Wood as #4 among remaining free agents. He is a good player, but as you point out, has been with seven different teams. Do the Kings even have enough cap space to sign him, after resigning Barnes and Lyles tonight? I am no salary expert.
I wouldnt read too much into how many different teams Wood's been on, he's kind of an outlier when it comes to that sort of thing --- there's a strong case to be made that situation was in fact the fault of the teams and their scouts n stuff like that; If they truly understood the direction the NBA was headed (and they damn sure didnt, nor did I) he'd have never been on nearly that many teams --- he's 6'10 with long arms n shoots 3's n blocks shots n hes mobile n lifts off the ground with ease, n he was young n still went undrafted.

Almost certainly we dont have enough space to sign him. We need a miracle! n i mean Vezenkov is totally SOL in this situation btw, but Wood can block shots and grab boards n run the floor far better, its worth exploring, Wood is an avenue to make our team look taller n longer which I think is a match.

Last edited:

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Lyles is good value for what he can provide for the Kings, barring any regressions and it's a two year deal. Barnes three year. No long term deals here, leaving flexibility for the next big trade and we all know Monte likes those so it's only a matter of when, not if.

This is pretty decent value for the Kings. That contract comes in at 6% of the salary cap. Since in free agency you should expect to pay about 3% of the salary cap for 1 WS, that would suggest that if Trey comes in at ~2 WS per season, he meets value. The last two seasons Trey has averaged 3.1 WS per season, so we can hope to get value out of that deal.

I know we're not in the Barnes thread, but the same logic applies to HB. His contract is right around 12.25% of the salary cap, so you're hoping for about 4 WS, and over the past four seasons with the Kings Barnes has averaged about 5.4 WS. Both guys look like good value.

(And yes, WS aren't everything, but they're at least something you can put an all-around value to and maybe it approximates real all-around value.)
Don’t look now, but here’s a post that actually defends its position, rather than the popular drive-by comment of “overpaid” or “bad value”.

In all seriousness, I can’t envision a good counter argument against what you’ve outlined here. I stand convinced.

Is that not a good thing? We were 3rd seed and had a great chance to win it all.. Chemistry is a great thing, and this team has it in spades.
Believe it or not, some are stuck in the mud believing the KINGS are destined for the same postseason outcome unless they make the moves they think they should make.

There’s no recognition that this roster was a single missed three away (in game 4) from likely advancing to round 2 and possibly even further. Apparently there’s no chance a variable like that, among many others, could change in the KINGS favor.

Who knew?