Training Camp Cuts

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
I didn't see this posted anywhere, so we cut Lamar Patterson yesterday. With so many guaranteed contracts I have no idea what he would have had to do to avoid the axe, but he didn't do it:

http://www.csnbayarea.com/kings/kings-trim-roster-waive-second-year-guardforward

Interestingly Farmar is still here. Less than a week to go until the season, no more preseason games. Its hard to interpret that any other way than that we are working in the background trying to make deals that would free a roster spot for him.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
I think your take is 100% right on both.

Patterson, in my mind, was as good as cut as soon as we picked him up. Other than needing warm bodies for training camp, he fit zero needs on this team.

Farmar was always credible as the fail-safe to Lawson as the primary backup PG. With Lawson seemingly taking the role, Farmar still makes sense as a third-string PG given that Temple looks quite inadequate in running the offense. With the Gay rumors now heating up again, it would be little shock to see a 2-for-1 (with McLemore or Collison being the most obvious pairing) that would free up a roster spot for Farmar. I think if Farmar does end up getting cut, we can probably assume that the Gay rumors will calm down until a bit closer to the deadline.

Entity

Hall of Famer
Well the only trades Vlade has made was the philly trade sending JT, Nick, and Landry for space and bellinelli for draft picks. So he has actually never traded a player or players for another. If one is looming it will be interesting to see the outcome. Do we get the good end or not?

Well the only trades Vlade has made was the philly trade sending JT, Nick, and Landry for space and bellinelli for draft picks. So he has actually never traded a player or players for another. If one is looming it will be interesting to see the outcome. Do we get the good end or not?
You pretty much gotta kiss his ring for the Belinelli deal tho don't you lol? I mean a first rounder for a shrinking violet turd sissy... that's really a pretty good start to his trading career. And a 'non-sure thing' #8 for a budding Euro star SG, Skal, and a gamble on PapaG?

We can second guess the PapaG pick all day, but the trade acumen seems outstanding to me (although I'm one of the few die-hards who stands firmly behind the Philly salary dump deal). If he'd made a more conventional pick at #13 .. oh boy.

I just like his sense for picking spots to gamble. at #13, why not roll the dice? philly pick swaps to dump Landry JT & Nik - why not roll the dice? I like his style overall very much.

Most likely a D-League contract. Nothing to see here.
The way Kennedy phrases it as re-signing with the Kings doesn't make it sound like its a d-league contract.

Here's an explanation of d-league contracts from their website
  • NBA teams can designate up to four players that they cut during training camp as “affiliate players,” meaning those players will join that team’s NBA D-League affiliate (should the players choose to sign into the NBA D-League). These players are signed under contract with the league rather than the team, however, meaning they are technically free agents who can be called up to any of the 30 NBA teams.
It could be and its just being referred to as signing with the Kings, but if you take the tweet at face value it sounds like he's re-signing with the team and will be taking up a roster spot. Maybe that's just wishful thinking hoping for some movement to get excited about though.

I don't expect any player movement up until Monday afternoon, right at the roster deadline. I think the deadline is Monday at 5:00pm (not sure if PST or EST, probably EST).

Either we will see a 2 for 1 trade or someone will get cut, likely Farmar.

So if Patterson re-signs as nonguar contract, If there is a 2 for 1 trade such as a Gay/Ben for a Starting PG
We could end up with Starting PG and Collison,
We could possibly have 2 roster slots to keep Ty and Lamar
With 3 PG on roster Farmar, Icuz gets cut

So I see this as a Just in case a trade happens move,
otherwise Lamar is cut again Sunday night, and Ty takes the 15th roster slot

might be one of the shortest contracts ever

Bricklayer

Has to be a D-league deal unless we are doing some blockbuster deal right on the brink of the season.

Remember Farmar is already there waiting for a roster spot, and to get him in we already need to either trade somebody for a pick, or do a 2 for 1. In order to get Patterson in too it would have to be a 3-1, and that would have to be a pretty big player coming back, right at a time when most teams are over-optimistic and not likely to move one.

Has to be a D-league deal unless we are doing some blockbuster deal right on the brink of the season.

Remember Farmar is already there waiting for a roster spot, and to get him in we already need to either trade somebody for a pick, or do a 2 for 1. In order to get Patterson in too it would have to be a 3-1, and that would have to be a pretty big player coming back, right at a time when most teams are over-optimistic and not likely to move one.
But if the 2 for 1 deal brings back a PG to add to Collison , then we don't need Farmar
Like a Gay,Ben for Rubio
Make Ty and Lamar 14,15 on the roster

Last edited:
This Patterson deals has me eerily excited. You do not cut someone to immediately sign them back unless there is a great possibility for a move.

Bricklayer

But if the 2 for 1 deal brings back a PG to add to Collison , then we don't need Farmar
Like a Gay,Ben for Rubio
Make Ty and Lamar 14,15 on the roster
Thing is we wouldn't have kept Farmar around like this if we weren't anticipating needing him. Nor would he have agreed to it -- he's a longtime vet, could catch on someplace else. Maybe even someplace exciting -- I hear Cleveland is looking for an extra PG (well at least exciting on the court). He wouldn't still be here with all our contract spots used up unless we had given him some promise that, hang on a few days and we'll open a sport for you.

And with Temple demonstrating why that's not really a great option at PG, Farmar really is needed as a very good 3rd PG no matter what happens in a trade. Our #2, or maybe #1, is talented, but a drunk who could go south at any point. Our other #1/#2 is missing the first 8 games for domestic violence.

Patterson isn't anybody in particular. A Reno deal makes sense for him while he tries to catch on with somebody on a 10-day.

I guess its just the wording here. If the kings are signinf him to a contract, then hed be taking a 15 man spot. If it was reported hes signing a deal with the Bighorns, then itd make more sense.

Kennedy is really good at being clear in his articles and tweets, so i wouldnt rule out something goong down.

I see the Bee had thumb mail sketches for only 15 players in this morning's Kings Tip Off special section thus solving the problem of who to keep. Gone from the roster are I. Cousins, Lamar Patterson and Jordan Farmar.

I see the Bee had thumb mail sketches for only 15 players in this morning's Kings Tip Off special section thus solving the problem of who to keep. Gone from the roster are I. Cousins, Lamar Patterson and Jordan Farmar.
Reminds me of the childhood yearbooks who have a not pictured name or two in the class picture.

CruzDude

Senior Member sharing a brew with bajaden
So Temple is backup PG for first 8 games which in the grand Joeger scheme of things might work out if major emphasis is on defense and ball movement. Team and rotations are not going to stabilize until after trade deadline anyway and with both DC andLawson life could become really interesting.