Trade deadline approaching for Kings

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Sorry guys. I meant speculation in reply to the Papagiannis recall... I think this might've been the wrong thread lol.
I could be wrong, but I think the Kings have been recalling our rookies from Reno a lot when the Kings are at home and the Bighorns don't have a game. I know I had a discussion not too long ago about how they wouldn't be able to do it if the winter continued to be one of the strongest we've had in recent memory.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Two things I don't like, well three actually if you add in that I prefer not to trade Cuz, but that aside, I'm not a fan of Len. I'd rather have Koufos as my starting center over Len. Secondly, if I'm going to trade Cuz, it's going to be to an Eastern Conference team. Not to a team that I have to play four times a year, and the last thing I want to do is have to beat a Cousins led team to win the Western Conference. The only way I want to go up against Cousins in the playoffs, is for the NBA championship. You gotta think long term...:rolleyes:
We've got Papa! What are you worried about!:)

dude12

Hall of Famer
According to basketball insiders, they mentioned there is a growing sense that Collison and Koufos will be moved. They mentioned Kings are very active in trade talks.

I think both can bring back something....both have some value as quality reserves for deep playoff teams. I'm hoping we get a PG in return....don't know who but one under contract that can play D

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
According to basketball insiders, they mentioned there is a growing sense that Collison and Koufos will be moved. They mentioned Kings are very active in trade talks.

I think both can bring back something....both have some value as quality reserves for deep playoff teams. I'm hoping we get a PG in return....don't know who but one under contract that can play D
how about one that is over 6 feet?

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member

Hallelujah! They both need to be moved, for the exact reason you pointed out. Playoff teams could use them and they might trade picks or young players to improve their championship odds. Neither one has a role here anymore. Chasing the 8 seed is fine with me as long as we don't sacrifice the future of the team to do it. Trade what can be traded, start building for next season and if we manage to get the 8 seed in the process and lose our pick, so be it. At least we'd be building toward something.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
cousins and collison for Okafor, Simmons, Bayless and our first back and theirs.
They're not trading Simmons nor are they trading for a star who plays the same position as Embiid. I wouldn't worry about getting the pick swap back. There's no reason for the Sixers to do that.

The hardest thing for any fan to do is devise a fair trade for their own team's superstar. If you account for all the baggage in the Cousins portfolio it's pretty clear that no deal can be made that we would find acceptable. It would be a fire sale, slash and burn and start from scratch. I'm not sure the fans who are fed up with Cousins fully understand that. Give up on him and you're giving up on the playoffs for another decade.

I think we should go after Bledsoe. I think the Phoenix rumor about Cousins may have been partly true, the issue is they just got the wrong players in that rumor.

Bledsoe would change this team and would fit in well with our never say die attitude. It's not that far fetched is it? By the way, this is just my opinion/hope, there is nothing concrete backing up what I just said.

dude12

Hall of Famer
If we do deal, not so sure about picks. At some point, the more youth you have, the more detrimental it is to a team. We already have the 3 rooks and possibly Bogdanovich, although he's a tad older but I'd be more interested in a,Collison and Koufos deal,for a bigger contract guy who can play PG.

I think we should go after Bledsoe. I think the Phoenix rumor about Cousins may have been partly true, the issue is they just got the wrong players in that rumor.

Bledsoe would change this team and would fit in well with our never say die attitude. It's not that far fetched is it? By the way, this is just my opinion/hope, there is nothing concrete backing up what I just said.
I don't think we have enough assets for Bledsoe. Since you want him on the team I assume we both agree he is a good player. Kings don't have enough to outbid other teams IF Bledsoe was available. Kings have to find an under the radar player who becomes good when traded for and given an opportunity.

If we do deal, not so sure about picks. At some point, the more youth you have, the more detrimental it is to a team. We already have the 3 rooks and possibly Bogdanovich, although he's a tad older but I'd be more interested in a,Collison and Koufos deal,for a bigger contract guy who can play PG.
I hope the Kings have a possible Bogdanovich! His latest highlights have me pretty excited for him to be on the kings. He passes the rock really well and it is exactly the kind of player we need paired with Cousins.

I don't think we have enough assets for Bledsoe. Since you want him on the team I assume we both agree he is a good player. Kings don't have enough to outbid other teams IF Bledsoe was available. Kings have to find an under the radar player who becomes good when traded for and given an opportunity.
I have always liked Bledsoe but was wary of the injury history, but given the state of the team and our struggles, we definitely could use him. Well you never know about Bledsoe until Vlade asks. We have a history trading with the Suns under Vlade and they aren't exactly a good team, so maybe under the circumstances, something could happen. We would have to give up a lot but a feasible scenario would be KK, Ben, and DC. That's fair value and the Suns would have nearly 10 million coming off the books this summer to sign other players. It's not likely to happen, but it's possible.

I have always liked Bledsoe but was wary of the injury history, but given the state of the team and our struggles, we definitely could use him. Well you never know about Bledsoe until Vlade asks. We have a history trading with the Suns under Vlade and they aren't exactly a good team, so maybe under the circumstances, something could happen. We would have to give up a lot but a feasible scenario would be KK, Ben, and DC. That's fair value and the Suns would have nearly 10 million coming off the books this summer to sign other players. It's not likely to happen, but it's possible.
No that's not a offer that gets you Bledsoe.

I hate to be harsh but DC, KK and Ben don't get you Bledsoe.

I tend to agree but trading for picks might not be a bad thing. They give you an asset that you can use in trades to bring in that veteran. Part of our problem lately has been lack of assets. If we are loaded with picks then all of a sudden there are assets there for a rebuilding team if they want to move on their veterans. Not that KK and DC would get us a couple of first round picks but say we had two 1st rounders from other teams to play with, we can use those as an example to start the conversation with Suns about Bledose.

I tend to agree but trading for picks might not be a bad thing. They give you an asset that you can use in trades to bring in that veteran. Part of our problem lately has been lack of assets. If we are loaded with picks then all of a sudden there are assets there for a rebuilding team if they want to move on their veterans. Not that KK and DC would get us a couple of first round picks but say we had two 1st rounders from other teams to play with, we can use those as an example to start the conversation with Suns about Bledose.
KK and Collison could potentially net you a couple of very late 1st rounders from contenders.

KK and Collison could potentially net you a couple of very late 1st rounders from contenders.
KK possibly because that is the sort of rate you get for a good back up big man with another year on his contract. DC is not going to net you that given that he is an expiring contract. No team will give up a 1st round pick for him. I hope I am wrong but I am not sure there is team out there dumb enough to do it. If he had another year on the deal then sure but for a couple of months rental, I just can't see it.

Probably gives us Knight... but I don't think anyone wants Knight right now.
That would be too much to give up for Knight. I would take Knight at the right price. I think people are reading a bit too much into his struggles and role at Phoenix this year. I am confident that Joerger can return him to the sort of player he was with Bucks by removing the chucking component of his game that has been developed in Phoenix.

I don't necessarily disagree with you that we don't have the assets to get him. I can't see them wanting Bogdanovic after getting frustrated and trading him so that leaves Richardson, Labissiere, Cauley-Stein, & Papagiannis. They already have Booker at SG & Bender and Chriss as developing PFs. That minimizes Richardson & Labissiere's value. That really only leaves Cauley-Stein & Papagiannis as potentially attractive pieces if they are finally over Len.

Having said all of that, if the Kings keep their 1st, I think they do have the assets to acquire him. Depending on where it lands, the 1st & Afflalo for Bledsoe makes a lot of sense. If Vlade has this vision, he should be calling up Washington to see if we can pry away their late 1st for Collison in order to give them a great 6th man for their lackluster bench. Considering how well WAS has been playing, they may be interested in such a trade.

This is a "deadline" thread so kind of off topic, but whatever...

Kings don't need wing players though
OK who is the lorn term wing that we will have on the books at the end of the year other than Richardson?

Gay might opt in but I suspect he will opt out. Afflalo won't be back, neither will McLemore and Casspi and possibly Barnes. We will probably get Bogdanovic so that makes Temple, Richardson and Bogdanovic as the only wings beyond this season.

What games are you watching?
OK who is the lorn term wing that we will have on the books at the end of the year other than Richardson?

Gay might opt in but I suspect he will opt out. Afflalo won't be back, neither will McLemore and Casspi and possibly Barnes. We will probably get Bogdanovic so that makes Temple, Richardson and Bogdanovic as the only wings beyond this season.
Assuming Gay opts in, we start off next season with Gay, Afflalo, Barnes, Temple, Richardson, and maybe Bogdanovic? I remember reading that Barnes has a PO, not a TO. Let's take out one of Gay or Afflalo. Still leaves us with: Afflalo, Temple, Barnes, Richardson, and Bogdanovic?
Ross is definitely a SG. 6'7 195lbs with a 6'7 wingspan, and small frame. That's the biggest reason why he's coming off the bench for Toronto.

I don't like trading our 2nd big for another wing player. We shorten our front-court depth with Cousins, WCS, and Tolliver. So is this trade, a trade to win now? I don't think it would help in that aspect. The Kings are already terrible on the boards as it stands. Is it the expectation that Ross breaks out into a 16ppg scorer? If it's a trade for the future, then it doesn't make much sense either. Ross will be 27 this month, and we're already grooming Richardson and Bogdanovic( he's old too).

I don't see the upside in trading Koufos for Ross. Maybe if he were 4 years younger?

Assuming Gay opts in, we start off next season with Gay, Afflalo, Barnes, Temple, Richardson, and maybe Bogdanovic? I remember reading that Barnes has a PO, not a TO. Let's take out one of Gay or Afflalo. Still leaves us with: Afflalo, Temple, Barnes, Richardson, and Bogdanovic?
Ross is definitely a SG. 6'7 195lbs with a 6'7 wingspan, and small frame. That's the biggest reason why he's coming off the bench for Toronto.

I don't like trading our 2nd big for another wing player. We shorten our front-court depth with Cousins, WCS, and Tolliver. So is this trade, a trade to win now? I don't think it would help in that aspect. The Kings are already terrible on the boards as it stands. Is it the expectation that Ross breaks out into a 16ppg scorer? If it's a trade for the future, then it doesn't make much sense either. Ross will be 27 this month, and we're already grooming Richardson and Bogdanovic( he's old too).

I don't see the upside in trading Koufos for Ross. Maybe if he were 4 years younger?
Not arguing whether we should trade for Ross or not. Personally, I wouldn't! I am just saying that this teams needs long term solutions at wings.

So far only C and SG positions are sort of locked away. I highly doubt Afflalo returns. Hell he might not even be on the roster past the deadline. There is a reason he was given a partially guaranteed deal.