Today is the last day to trade Afflalo

Wonderful! I can't imagine that teams were blowing up Vlade's phone for the bum.

I'll say this about Vlade's so/so signings (AA, Marco), they didn't work out, but they've been anything but albatross contacts....

...as evidenced by our thin roster and bajillion dollars in cap space.
I'd be stunned if they weren't blowing up his phone for him. Teams are desperately trying to shed cap and Afflalo takes $11 mil off. Basically no one in the league had that type of deal.

My guess is we probably value the roster spots at this point and probably got a lot of "Take our crap contract player+this solid young guy for Afflalo" type of deals. We might have been looking for a 2019 first for him.

Just curious, why is everybody so down on AA? He shot 44/41/90 which is pretty impressive. The guy is older now so it's not like we expected him to be a star.

With that said, it was obviously the right move to waive him given our youth movement but I just don't see why he deserves so much criticism.
Horrifying on defense, slow, disappeared basically every game. Was a decent set-shooter though, but he was one of the worst guys to get big minutes in the NBA last year.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Horrifying on defense, slow, disappeared basically every game. Was a decent set-shooter though, but he was one of the worst guys to get big minutes in the NBA last year.
Afflalo was a very good post up guy. That was his bread and butter, but he also was a ball stopper. He didn't fit the kind of team that Vlade is trying to build. The bad defense was just a bonus.

I'd be stunned if they weren't blowing up his phone for him. Teams are desperately trying to shed cap and Afflalo takes $11 mil off. Basically no one in the league had that type of deal.

My guess is we probably value the roster spots at this point and probably got a lot of "Take our poopoo contract player+this solid young guy for Afflalo" type of deals. We might have been looking for a 2019 first for him.
It didn't really make much difference between trading or cutting him. Kings can still take back any of the contracts with their cap space that they would have traded Afflalo for. I guess it cost the Kings the guaranteed part where if they shipped him the other team would have been on the hook for that. if the Kings were over the cap it would have been a big deal because they would have needed to send out Afflalo to make contracts match, but as of now they are still for the most part in the same position they were yesterday. Hopefully offers to take on contracts get better once free agency gets closer