Today is the last day to trade Afflalo

Per Spotrac, Arron Afflalo's contract is fully guaranteed for $12.5 M next season if he is still on the roster after today.

If he is waived before the end of the day today his guaranteed money drops to $1.5 M.

So the Kings have the opportunity to cut $11 million in salary from their payroll, but more importantly, they have the opportunity to trade him to a team looking to open up capspace for a more useful asset.

I have a hard time imagining that they'd pick up his option. The Kings need more SFs but Afflalo is a big SG who can swing to the three. They've already got guys like Temple, Richardson and presumably Bogdanovic who can do the same thing. And unlike Koufos & Temple (and Tolliver who I would have preferred that they keep) Afflalo isn't really a guy I think of as a veteran mentor.

I'm surprised that nothing happened last night. I'll be really surprised if something doesn't happen today.

Maybe Portland panics today and gives us a player and a 2019 draft pick for him.

Probably just going to be cut today. I cannot fathom keeping him considering Tolliver was cut.

Maybe Portland panics today and gives us a player and a 2019 draft pick for him.

Probably just going to be cut today. I cannot fathom keeping him considering Tolliver was cut.
Straight up for Harkless wouldn't be a bad move. He's solid depth.

But it sounds like the Rockets and Spurs (and probably a few other teams) are looking to shed salary, especially after the it was announced that they salary cap is actually going to be a bit lower.

Lots of teams that could use some cap space. The Blazer, Lakers, Rockets, Celtics, among others are teams I could see wanting to rid themselves of a contract to free up cap space. I wouldn't mind Harkless to help out Portland, not sure what the Rockets would offer. The Lakers would want to get rid of Deng, but they would need to provide some incentive for that, and Crowder would be the target from Boston I think. Who else is out there?

EDIT: I would not be opposed to just waiving him and using the cap space to sign vets who fit well with team both in play and personality. I ascribe to the idea that young players need to learn how to win and how to work and having the right veterans around can help facilitate that learning.

Last edited:
Is it the salary cap that is lower or the luxury tax threshold? It may be both, but I actually think it is the latter that is the big deal for some of the teams.
The salary cap moved from a projected $102 million to a reported $99 million. I don't know how (or if) the luxury tax threshold was affected.

The salary cap moved from a projected $102 million to a reported $99 million. I don't know how (or if) the luxury tax threshold was affected.
I think they are calculated in a similar manner, with the luxury cap being 20% over the soft cap. So it's going from ~121 to ~119. Teams that are repeat offenders can get dinged really bad, and it's a sliding scale where teams 10 million over get start hitting astronomically.

Wonder how bad the Spurs want to get rid of Aldridge. You basically have to do AA for him straight up just on talent acquisition alone.
Aldridge is still a major talent. I don't see them giving him away just for a chance to try and lure Chris Paul.

And just a hunch, but if Aldridge is unhappy in San Antonio I'm guessing the Kings aren't the change he's looking for.

I think he's a loser but I'd take him for the two years left on his deal. He completely screwed the Blazers imho, then he sours on San Antonio because I guess they didn't cater to him? I don't know. He was never really "the guy", so it seemed like he'd be a fit there - but now the narrative seems to have become that he was jealous of Lillard which is why he split.

That's mildly surprising. I think we all thought they would get something for him but I'm starting to wonder if Vlade and Co. aren't being extra careful on the chemistry front with a young team.

gunks

Hall of Famer
I don't have twitter, however read this on carmichael dave's twitter

Carmichael Dave ‏Verified account @carmichaeldave 13m13 minutes ago More
Carmichael Dave Retweeted Sean Cunningham
100% the right move. Ben should be next to go. Good luck Arron!
Sean CunninghamVerified account @SeanCunningham
As expected, the Kings have released Arron Afflalo, according to source. He becomes an unrestricted free agent

So he thinks Ben should go next?

I don't have twitter, however read this on carmichael dave's twitter

Carmichael Dave ‏Verified account @carmichaeldave 13m13 minutes ago More
Carmichael Dave Retweeted Sean Cunningham
100% the right move. Ben should be next to go. Good luck Arron!
Sean CunninghamVerified account @SeanCunningham
As expected, the Kings have released Arron Afflalo, according to source. He becomes an unrestricted free agent

So he thinks Ben should go next?
Ben will be a free agent, either restricted (if the Kings extend a qualifying offer) or unrestricted.

Definitely happy to no longer have to see AA stink up the court. It would be even sweeter to not have to watch Ben brick open threes game after game!

Make it happen Vlade!

Just watch him go sign on a cheap deal with the warriors, get a ring and become useful again... :D

That said, not surprised he's gone. We need to commit to our young players at this point especially at the SG position with Buddy and Malachi, and possibly Bogdanovic if he comes over.

give veterans 1-2 year deals on decent salaries to reach the cap floor. This gives the Kings cap flexibility, veteran leadership, and plenty of time to play the young guys.

I wouldn't be against giving Tolliver a 2 year deal. Not sure what other veterans are out there looking for money.

I think once the trade didn't happen on draft night, it was tough to find a taker for AA. Sure, teams like Blazers would have loved to shed a bad contract for a low price, but what were they willing to give?

On another note, I'm not so much opposed to bringing back Ben on a one year deal. As of now, we have only one legitimate SF, who's a rookie. Unless we sign someone else, we'll need to move one or more of our SGs (GT, MR) to play there, which means we'll need some backup at SG. Getting a decent SF is obviously the better solution, but depends on what's available. If we can get some undrafted kid with promise, or a decent vet who's willing to come to a young team, fine. Else, having Ben around on a reasonable deal is not that bad of an option. He's got good attitude, knows the system, and showed some improvement towards the end. At worst, we trade him at the deadline, or cut him after that.

Just curious, why is everybody so down on AA? He shot 44/41/90 which is pretty impressive. The guy is older now so it's not like we expected him to be a star.

With that said, it was obviously the right move to waive him given our youth movement but I just don't see why he deserves so much criticism.

Just curious, why is everybody so down on AA? He shot 44/41/90 which is pretty impressive. The guy is older now so it's not like we expected him to be a star.

With that said, it was obviously the right move to waive him given our youth movement but I just don't see why he deserves so much criticism.
Out of 101 small guards, Afflalo was 97th in RPM.