To tank or not to tank (split from game thread)

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
What a depressing thread!
"We're so bad!"
"No, were terrible!"
"But we might not be bad enough!"
"We're not even good enough to be really bad!"
"We should be better at being bad!"
"Can't we do anything right?"
"Guess not. Because we're so bad!"
What's really bad is those comments could apply to any number of past seasons.

Here is an article on the salaries for the top Euro basketball players. Bodgan made about 1.3 mil in 2015. The top player made 3.4 mil per year:

https://www.talkbasket.net/salaries

You can not honestly tell me that if Vlade gave Bodgan a 4 year, $24-28 million contract, that would give him and his family financial security for the rest of their lives, he wouldn't come to the NBA? It would take him playing for 15 years in Europe, to make what he could make in 4 years in the NBA.

If he passes up now, he would be 26 years old before the start of the 2018 season and he would go from potential star player, to rotation player in the eyes of teams. That could cost him $100 million in the long run.

Personally, I think there is no way he passes the opportunity to play in the NBA this year, with the contracts being passed out and rookie scale no longer holding back his salary. If he comes here and fails, he can always go back to Europe to finish his career.
He will eran more from endorsement in Europe which makes up the difference. His contract on top of that also includes a luxury apartment in Instanbul, rented or owned by the team which he is living in free of charge and a upper leve vehicles also provided by the team free of charge.

Salaries in Europe are after tax so that 1.3 million is "clean" money he gets int his bank account.

People have this view of Bogdan as a franchise level star in the NBA. He will never be that player. He can be a good productive player in the NBA in the right situation. As that level player, he is not getting the endorsement money in the NBA. As a star of the Euroleague, he is getting that endorsement money from various sponsors in Europe. The financial gap is not as huge as you think.

Fener is ine if the best and richest clubs in Europe. They look after their top notch players very well. While the contract value itself might not look that big, there are other perks on top of that where the financial difference is not that huge.

I just re-read the article on Bodgan's 2017-18 contract.

It looks like an existing contract situation, not a newly signed extension.

I think this is an important detail. This has been put out in the media recently, because of his tweet stating he wants to concentrate on his Europe team.

I still think he is coming over this year, especially after seeing that his contract for next year was already pre-exsisting and not newly signed.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME

I think this is an important detail. This has been put out in the media recently, because of his tweet stating he wants to concentrate on his Europe team.

I still think he is coming over this year, especially after seeing that his contract for next year was already pre-exsisting and not newly signed.
We're duplicating the discussion in the Bogdan thread in the Personnel Moves forum. I don't have the energy or focus to transfer all the posts from here over to there so maybe we could just do it from this point forward? I've got the feeling the discussion about him is going to go on for a long time. :)

how many shooting guards do we need on a team? temple, mal, buddy, benny... bogdan? i guess you do need a few if 3 of em go down with freak injuries

A player weighs in:

Seiji Ozawa‏@Seiji_525Ozawa
@ATolliver44 Would you rather barely miss playoffs and lose your pick or accept the losses necessary to keep it??

Anthony Tolliver‏Verified account@ATolliver44 4h4 hours ago
Id rather win...
To be fair, of course he would rather win.

The players drafted in the draft are going to come in and try to take his job.

But, the Front office and Coach should do what is right for the team long term. And that is youth development and building assets (more picks/better players) to help make the team successful in the long term.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
To be fair, of course he would rather win.

The players drafted in the draft are going to come in and try to take his job.

But, the Front office and Coach should do what is right for the team long term. And that is youth development and building assets (more picks/better players) to help make the team successful in the long term.
To be fair? What wasn't fair about my post?

So Lakers hoping for 2nd pick bench (or Rest) Mosgov and Luol Dieng for the rest of the season - To play all the young guys

So Suns are now benching Bledsoe for rest of the Season hoping for 3rd Place

Orlando and Suns both are our only wins for Kings in Last ten games

We play both Lakers and Suns again down the Stretch

So Who are we gonna Bench? Collison,Afflalo,Temple, Tolliver, Koufos?

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
So Lakers hoping for 2nd pick bench (or Rest) Mosgov and Luol Dieng for the rest of the season - To play all the young guys

So Suns are now benching Bledsoe for rest of the Season hoping for 3rd Place

Orlando and Suns both are our only wins for Kings in Last ten games

We play both Lakers and Suns again down the Stretch

So Who are we gonna Bench? Collison,Afflalo,Temple, Tolliver, Koufos?
Joerger is benching different guys every night. Is that a tanking move? Perhaps. But I think the bigger reason is that he (and Vlade) want to see what they have on this roster so they have a clear sense of which guys they want back next year.

As for the Lakers I hope they have bad luck in the lottery and lose their pick.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
Joerger is benching different guys every night. Is that a tanking move? Perhaps. But I think the bigger reason is that he (and Vlade) want to see what they have on this roster so they have a clear sense of which guys they want back next year.

As for the Lakers I hope they have bad luck in the lottery and lose their pick.
I think even those of us who can't agree on anything else can agree on that. **** the lakers.