Tired of Cousins attitude and want a trade (split)

I am getting sick and tired of Cousins attitude. He has been hit with 12 technicals and 3 ejections. He hurts the team when this happens. Yea, I know he is talented, however, how much are we going to tolerate his crap and say ENOUGH IS ENOUGH.

Spike

Subsidiary Intermediary
Staff member
Not anytime soon, I hope. New ownership, vision, and leadership at the top will go a long ways. We get rid of him and it's a big *** step in the wrong direction.

I am getting sick and tired of Cousins attitude. He has been hit with 12 technicals and 3 ejections. He hurts the team when this happens. Yea, I know he is talented, however, how much are we going to tolerate his crap and say ENOUGH IS ENOUGH.
how long were you waiting to bring this thread back up? Lets just go ahead and trade our best player because he has a bad attitude.

Another seriously avoidable ejection, what more can you say.

I get that players want a "dialogue" with the refs but at some point you have to say "what do i have to gain from this conversation"

The answer is not much.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Another seriously avoidable ejection, what more can you say.

I get that players want a "dialogue" with the refs but at some point you have to say "what do i have to gain from this conversation"

The answer is not much.
As Jerry Reynolds once said, "Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want." Cousins is getting plenty of experience.

K

KingMilz

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1516250-demarcus-cousins-sacramento-kings-should-start-over-who-should-go

Key points from the article

But, there is one person who should stay in Sacramento: DeMarcus Cousins. Even though he's been laughably immature and incredibly unlikable, the University of Kentucky product needs to stay
He's Sacramento's one true franchise player. If Cousins can clean up his act, he's got the potential to be the cornerstone of the franchise
What the Kings should do first is get whatever they can for Tyreke Evans.
The only point in the article I don't agree with but if its looking more than likely hes going to leave us than maybe its a option

Other players who should go include Jason Thompson, a backup-caliber power forward who is taking playing time away from Thomas Robinson, and Jimmer Fredette, a player who hasn't come close to expectations.
Totally agree

Marcus Thornton is the perfect sixth man. He's another piece that be great to start a team with. Isaiah Thomas is better suited to coming off the bench.
I agree somewhat

The point here is that Sacramento has a handful of players, led by Cousins, that would be a great bunch to start over with. All the Kings need to do is draft well and, of course, hope for the first overall pick in the draft.

For that, Lady Luck needs to get involved.

andremiller07 what kind of expectations did you have for JT? My very impression of him was rotation big, dont take offense but i'm really just intrested in what your take is.

K

KingMilz

andremiller07 what kind of expectations did you have for JT? My very impression of him was rotation big, dont take offense but i'm really just intrested in what your take is.
I think hes a good back up imo, I don't think hes a legit starting big but thats not to say he can't be decent starting but I think he would be better off the bench. On top of that he seems to play better when Cousins is not on the floor so it makes even more sense for him not to be on the floor at the same time. But if we could trade JT and something else to get a decent Wing player I would do it.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I think hes a good back up imo, I don't think hes a legit starting big but thats not to say he can't be decent starting but I think he would be better off the bench. On top of that he seems to play better when Cousins is not on the floor so it makes even more sense for him not to be on the floor at the same time. But if we could trade JT and something else to get a decent Wing player I would do it.
I was right with you until the last sentence. What we have a lack of, is solid bigs, and the last thing we need to do is trade one of the solid bigs we have for another wing player. Wing players are a dime a dozen in the NBA. Good bigs are hard to come by. JT is a solid versitle big man that can play both PF and Center. There's not another player on the team that can do that, other than maybe Cousins. I would prefer JT to come off the bench and put a good defensive shotblocking PF next to Cuz. I still think that Robinsons best position down the road is going to be SF, a position where he won't be undersized, and he already has some of the necessary skills for the position.

All we need to do is win the lottery, draft Noel and put him next to Cousins. Move JT to the bench, and move T. Robb to SF. You can always use T. Robb at PF if necessary, very similar to JJ.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
On top of that he seems to play better when Cousins is not on the floor so it makes even more sense for him not to be on the floor at the same time.
I 1) love the kneejerk short memories of fans. Jason plays ONE good game ehre without Cousins on the floor, and all of a sudden he's plays better wihtout him ont he floor. This despite he and Cousins working very well together for the bulk of this very season. Sometimes I think that being a sports fan must be like having your head repeatedly slammed into the wall. It sht eonly way I can explain some of the bizarre things that get said.

and 2) yes, DWade plays better wihtout LeBron on the floor. Vlade put up bigger numbers wihtout Webb on the floor. Etc. that is the natural outcome to having a dominant player on the floor. Everybody else steps back into a role. If they are good players, they will be abel to step up a bit when the dominant player is resting. Its not a reason you run off and bench your better players or trade them.

The problem is when a lesser player like an IT limits a better one like Reke, nto when the opposite happens. Jason was a very good fit next to Cousins for much of the eyar...offesnively at elast. What is truly needed is a defensive shotblocker. But Jason was efficieint, and he helped Cousins by staying out of the way, mopping up, spacing with jumpers, not competing for hsots or touches, and that is what you are looking for out of any second big.

K

KingMilz

I was right with you until the last sentence. What we have a lack of, is solid bigs, and the last thing we need to do is trade one of the solid bigs we have for another wing player. Wing players are a dime a dozen in the NBA. Good bigs are hard to come by. JT is a solid versitle big man that can play both PF and Center. There's not another player on the team that can do that, other than maybe Cousins. I would prefer JT to come off the bench and put a good defensive shotblocking PF next to Cuz. I still think that Robinsons best position down the road is going to be SF, a position where he won't be undersized, and he already has some of the necessary skills for the position.

All we need to do is win the lottery, draft Noel and put him next to Cousins. Move JT to the bench, and move T. Robb to SF. You can always use T. Robb at PF if necessary, very similar to JJ.
You are probably right, but I atm can't see T-Rob at SF I think hes at least 3 years away from making a move to SF. If we can get Noel that yeah everything you said makes sense. I still think we have way to many scrubs @ the SF position and we need a floor spacer/ do it all type SF who can actually defend basically the complete opposite of Salmons.

(bit off topic) Bajaden have you seen Jarnell Stokes from Tennesse play and does he remind you of a shorer poor mans version of DMC (minus the anger?) What do you think of the other Kentucky big man that backs up Noel, Cauley-Stein hes raw but seems like hes got very decent potential

love the kneejerk short memories of fans. Jason plays ONE good game ehre without Cousins on the floor, and all of a sudden he's plays better wihtout him ont he floor. This despite he and Cousins working very well together for the bulk of this very season. Sometimes I think that being a sports fan must be like having your head repeatedly slammed into the wall. It sht eonly way I can explain some of the bizarre things that get said.
I think JT off the bench would be fantastic because he can score a bit when hes #1/#2 option and T-Rob has had his best games playing next to Cousins when JT is in foul trouble. JT can play with more freedom on offense when he comes off the bench and force him to step up more. It would make out bench way stronger which is a weakness while not really bringing our starting line up down as much

Last edited by a moderator:

bajaden

Hall of Famer
You are probably right, but I atm can't see T-Rob at SF I think hes at least 3 years away from making a move to SF. If we can get Noel that yeah everything you said makes sense. I still think we have way to many scrubs @ the SF position and we need a floor spacer/ do it all type SF who can actually defend basically the complete opposite of Salmons.

(bit off topic) Bajaden have you seen Jarnell Stokes from Tennesse play and does he remind you of a shorer poor mans version of DMC (minus the anger?) What do you think of the other Kentucky big man that backs up Noel, Cauley-Stein hes raw but seems like hes got very decent potential

I think JT off the bench would be fantastic because he can score a bit when hes #1/#2 option and T-Rob has had his best games playing next to Cousins when JT is in foul trouble. JT can play with more freedom on offense when he comes off the bench and force him to step up more. It would make out bench way stronger which is a weakness while not really bringing our starting line up down as much

First, I think Robinson is much closer to playing SF than you think. He has very good mechanic's on his jumper, and a whole offseason of practice should make him a lot more consistent. He handles the ball very well for a guy his size. He just needs to learn to play under control. Defensively, he could be a very good defender at the SF position using his quickness, and strength. His jumpshot is better than JJ's right now, and he's playing SF, and he played PF in college.

Stokes isn't as skilled as Cousins. He's primarily a low post player, and unfortunately, I think the only position he can play is Center. He's only 6'9", which would be OK for a PF, but not center. He's not particularly quick, or explosive around the basket. He is strong, there's no doubt about that, but I don't think strength alone will get you very far at 6'9" at the center position in the NBA. One thing he has going for him is his age. He's a sophmore, and I think he's still 18 years old. I know he was one of the youngest players in college last season. Anyway, I'm not sure about him just yet, but he has time to sort things out. He needs a consistent jumpshot.

I like Willie Cauley-Stein a lot. He's is a little rough around the edges, and is considered somewhat a late bloomer. But he's learning quickly. He's missed some games recently because of some sort of back injury, which is a little troubling, but there have been some games where he was putting up defensive numbers that matched his teammate Noel. He's a very good athlete, and has good length at just under 7 foot with a good wingspan. He does a great job of running the floor, and is fast becoming a proficient shotblocker. I've noticed that he's starting to climb up the draft boards. He's the one guy that I had targeted for the Kings unless we somehow got lucky and won the lottery.

I can see Stokes struggling in the league if he even gets there. The right move should be to pick ONE of our mini's and draft Marcus Smart that kid can play dammit:cool:

If Kings stick with Tyreke, Smart is a great back court partner and is a likely BPA outside of top-5. He's not good enough to be main ballhandler in the League, but he brings back Evans-T.Williams dynamic of physically dominating defensive back court, but this time both guys can shoot set 3 (and you can probably even get away with JJ as SF if coach uses full team cooperation, not 1-4 isolation, and Robinson works on his jumper, so Kings always have jump shooting PF on the floor), and Smart is a true leader and locker room presence.

If Kings stick with Tyreke, Smart is a great back court partner and is a likely BPA outside of top-5. He's not good enough to be main ballhandler in the League, but he brings back Evans-T.Williams dynamic of physically dominating defensive back court, but this time both guys can shoot set 3 (and you can probably even get away with JJ as SF if coach uses full team cooperation, not 1-4 isolation, and Robinson works on his jumper, so Kings always have jump shooting PF on the floor), and Smart is a true leader and locker room presence.
That's a lot of "ifs". Truth be told, with the near-guarantee of ownership change in the offseason, a personnel housecleaning is in the cards. It would not surprise me to come back to a Kings team next year with 9 new faces. Tyreke is a RFA. We have a bevy of undersized 2-guards who need to be cleaned out. Salmons can be amnestied. Outlaw can be waived. Garcia has a team option. Brooks may not exercise his player option with the way he is being jerked around in the lineup. Just too many variables right now to know what the team will need come the offseason.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Call me paranoid but I don't ever want another Smart near the team, ever.
As I pointed out in another thread, Marcus would have to change his last name! On a serious note, I like Marcus Smart, but he's not our greatest need. We need more size on this team, plus I don't want to listen to another three years of discussion of whether he's a point guard or not. Or, If he could just shoot the ball consistently from the outside, he'd be a superstar.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
God forbid we draft Marcus Smart. We already have a Marcus Smart on this team and his name is Tyreke Evans. The only difference is that Tyreke is a better ballhandler, and Smart is a better passer. At least at the same stage of their careers. Smart is a very athletic player with the body of a linebacker. He's terrific on the defensive side of the ball, and at the PG position, he's just bigger, taller and stronger than just about everyone else. But the dude can't shoot the ball. He only shoots the ball 40% overall, and 27% from beyond the three point line. You want to draft a PG, then draft Trey Burke, or Michael Carter-Williams. Personally, if we want another PG, then go get a Lowery or a Calderon. Someone that has experience, and you don't have to wait for them to develop.

None of my comments have anything to do with Smarts potential. He could well turn out to be the next coming of Magic Johnson. But I wouldn't hold my breath.

That's a lot of "ifs". Truth be told, with the near-guarantee of ownership change in the offseason, a personnel housecleaning is in the cards. It would not surprise me to come back to a Kings team next year with 9 new faces. Tyreke is a RFA. We have a bevy of undersized 2-guards who need to be cleaned out. Salmons can be amnestied. Outlaw can be waived. Garcia has a team option. Brooks may not exercise his player option with the way he is being jerked around in the lineup. Just too many variables right now to know what the team will need come the offseason.
I wrote "likely BPA outside of top-5" as well. And I don't see Kings picking top-5, unless those conspiracy theories are true.
Smart have good set 3, but since he's by far the main creator, he doesn't get to shoot it much. Still Smart is very streaky off the dribble and doesn't know what the bad shot is - there's no denying that. But he shoots .771 from FT line, which reminds of Kawhi Leonard, who was main shot creator for San Diego State and shot badly from the field for a PF.
P.S. BTW Smart was the main force in beating #2 team Kansas few days ago. He looks absolutely different against elite teams and average ones.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I wrote "likely BPA outside of top-5" as well. And I don't see Kings picking top-5, unless those conspiracy theories are true.
Smart have good set 3, but since he's by far the main creator, he doesn't get to shoot it much. Still Smart is very streaky off the dribble and doesn't know what the bad shot is - there's no denying that. But he shoots .771 from FT line, which reminds of Kawhi Leonard, who was main shot creator for San Diego State and shot badly from the field for a PF.
P.S. BTW Smart was the main force in beating #2 team Kansas few days ago. He looks absolutely different against elite teams and average ones.
Smart is loaded with potential. But the dude can't shoot the rock very well, from anywhere. I've probably seen him play 7 or 8 times this year already. As I said, down the road he may be a future all star, but more importantly, we simply don't need another 6'4" player that can't shoot the rock. Now if our intent is to trade Tyreke, then I can see us going for Smart, who by the way, I think will be drafted in the top five. I'd like us to go after the best big man, even if its a bit of a reach. Someone like Cauley-Stein, or Withey. Both would help with size, and defense. Neither are great rebounders, but both are adequate in that area, and Stein is improving as the season goes on.

By the way, I agree with you that Smart seems to rise to the occasion when playing against top competition. And once again, by no means am I down on Smart. I'm just sick and tired of 6'5" and under players that can't shoot, and that dominate the ball. And Smart dominates the ball.

Edit: By the way, I could be dead wrong about Smart. My personal bias could be blinding my judgement. He could end up being a taller, bigger version of Rondo, instead of another version of Tyreke Evans. He's certainly a dynamic player.

Last edited:
Smart is loaded with potential. But the dude can't shoot the rock very well, from anywhere. I've probably seen him play 7 or 8 times this year already. As I said, down the road he may be a future all star, but more importantly, we simply don't need another 6'4" player that can't shoot the rock. Now if our intent is to trade Tyreke, then I can see us going for Smart, who by the way, I think will be drafted in the top five. I'd like us to go after the best big man, even if its a bit of a reach. Someone like Cauley-Stein, or Withey. Both would help with size, and defense. Neither are great rebounders, but both are adequate in that area, and Stein is improving as the season goes on.

By the way, I agree with you that Smart seems to rise to the occasion when playing against top competition. And once again, by no means am I down on Smart. I'm just sick and tired of 6'5" and under players that can't shoot, and that dominate the ball. And Smart dominates the ball.

Edit: By the way, I could be dead wrong about Smart. My personal bias could be blinding my judgement. He could end up being a taller, bigger version of Rondo, instead of another version of Tyreke Evans. He's certainly a dynamic player.
You see, somehow "Tyreke Evans" reads like a curse in your last sentence. And when has Rondo become so great? Chris Paul lead David West+scrubs into playoffs, to argue against him as some sort of standard is just stupid, Rondo lead aged HOFers to a nice lottery pick this year until...he took himself out for the season and today Celtics likely get 6th win in a row without him.

You see, somehow "Tyreke Evans" reads like a curse in your last sentence. And when has Rondo become so great? Chris Paul lead David West+scrubs into playoffs, to argue against him as some sort of standard is just stupid, Rondo lead aged HOFers to a nice lottery pick this year until...he took himself out for the season and today Celtics likely get 6th win in a row without him.
Very true, IMO a backcourt of Smart and Evans can be dynamic.

K

KingMilz

Say we draft a big man early on what would you think about getting Brandon Triche (since all the other top PGs will be taken) from Syarcuse with a late 1st round/2nd round pick to play PG for us (hopefully we trade Brooks). Hes a massive PG, can do everything, a team player and his jumpshot is good enough. I'd say he would be better than Thomas for us and has shown he can ethier be a star or a role player in college.