Thoughts on Seattle tweets, posts, etc. (split)

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
Interesting article about the history between Sacramento and the Maloofs with regards to the arena:

NBA shouldn't buy Maloofs version
Fortunately for us Stern and NBA KNOW this story by heart. As for the Seattle folks? I am not sure most of them care, They have desperately put their faith in s Hedge fund Pirate who has behaved EXACTLY as one would expect a Hedge fund pirate to act. If all you care about is getting a team and the means are irrelevant then the history is also irrelevant.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
This is speculation from a radio host in Seattle.

First clue that it wasn't legit - it wouldn't be KJ that Stern would tell to back out, it would be Ranadive and the rest of the Sacramento group.

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
So we are to believe that at the same time the committee is vetting Sac, stern is calling KJ to say "sorry to let it go this far but we need you to drop out now".... yeah right.

So we are to believe that at the same time the committee is vetting Sac, stern is calling KJ to say "sorry to let it go this far but we need you to drop out now".... yeah right.
From everything that is out there, it sure looks like the NBA it trying to keep the Kings in Sac. NBA can also use this as an example to other cities of How to keep your team.

I have been reading some of his tweets and everything he says is speculation even when he tried to claim a source told him. None of his "news" has been accurate so I am not worried. He's very pro-Seattle (almost to the point of vomiting) and the others that follow him are delusional.

He actually stated that the Stern is going to work with the Kings to get an expansion team lol.. So Stern is going to work to get Sac a team when he's retired? Which awesome source did he get that from lol.

They just need to understand that the Kings are staying in Sacramento, and then go away for good.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
The "Seattle is getting the Kings, Sacramento will get an expansion team" line of logic has never made any sense to me.

First off, (and I feel I've said this countless times now) WHY would the NBA uproot a franchise, erase its history by changing it from the Royals/Kings to the Supersonics and THEN turn around and give that city an expansion franchise in a few years that would go back to being the Kings? Why?

The Seattle group could make their plan work with the promise of an expansion team. I would think that would fufill the terms of their agreement to move forward on a new arena and the reborn Sonics would start play in a couple seasons either in Key Arena for a year or in the new SODO arena. But I can't see things working out that way in Sacramento. If the NBA leaves, I'm pretty sure it leaves. The new arena, the downtown development, the ownership group, the parking revenue are all contingent on Sacramento having a team, not the promise of one.

Because it makes no logical sense I can only attribute this line of thought to Seattle fans who understandably want their team back but also want some way that Sacramento and it's fans are decimated in the process. Sorry to say, but it isn't going to happen. If the committee recommends relocation and the BOG approves it I'd be surprised if the NBA ever returns.

to get an expansion team lol.. So Stern is going to work to get Sac a team when he's retired? Which awesome source did he get that from lol.
The thing that people don't understand is that it won't work that way here. If the Kings go, then that's the end of the NBA in this market. There will be no Arena effort, no funding or subsidies and no public money spent unless there is a team. Not the promise of a team. Not a future expansion team "if" we build the arena.

Hansen/Seattle, on the other hand, will turn around and try to steal another team if they don't get the Kings. That market will not close to the NBA if they don't get the Kings. This is also something that works in our favor. The NBA has seen the enormous effort put forth by Sacramento. They know this will not happen again if they screw us. I don't think they will want to lose this market.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
We have had to watch this turd team for the last 7 years no way in hell should we get stuck with an expansion team. I want to see the talent we do have assembled properly and see what it can do. The NBA may not owe us much but it at least owes us that.

Umm...what? Heard from whom?
It wasnt reported by anybody, it came from softy seattle's radio guy who was playing out his theories on the radio. so of course sonics fans ran with it as fact or "must be true because he played golf with ballmer" so far their is no validity to it, there just grasping at straws.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Retweeted by James Ham, which is what's weird to me. No other verification on it though.
It's no more than a retweet of a pretty absurd comment. Seattle fans are getting desperate, as are their media folk. There is every indication that this is not the slam dunk they thought it would be, and I think they're trying to convince themselves there's nothing to worry about. "The Nile" isn't just a river in Egypt.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I'm beginning to think we ought to have a separate thread for the drivel coming from Seattle. People are posting it here without proper introduction and it's really misleading.

If you are going to post something with a Seattle, please make it clear.

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
We have had to watch this turd team for the last 7 years no way in hell should we get stuck with an expansion team. I want to see the talent we do have assembled properly and see what it can do. The NBA may not owe us much but it at least owes us that.
Oh they owe us for more that the past 7 years of Maloofed Teams... I still want reparations for game 6!

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I have been reading some of his tweets and everything he says is speculation even when he tried to claim a source told him. None of his "news" has been accurate so I am not worried. He's very pro-Seattle (almost to the point of vomiting) and the others that follow him are delusional.

He actually stated that the Stern is going to work with the Kings to get an expansion team lol.. So Stern is going to work to get Sac a team when he's retired? Which awesome source did he get that from lol.

They just need to understand that the Kings are staying in Sacramento, and then go away for good.
Just another indication that Seattle doesn't understand the situation. The city council is NOT going to commit to $250 million + to build an arena for a promise of a future team. AIN'T GONNA HAPPEN! If the Kings leave, the NBA leaves and it won't be back. Period.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
Oh they owe us for more that the past 7 years of Maloofed Teams... I still want reparations for game 6!
We know that's never going to happen. But actually having owners that want to win and not Major League our team would be a very pleasant start.

We know that's never going to happen. But actually having owners that want to win and not Major League our team would be a very pleasant start.
remember when the playoffs were expected and not just a crazy dream? the maloofs have lowered our expectations from championship/playoff contenders to basically hoping we can even see our team take the court in sacramento ever again. man what a loong fall.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
Even before playoffs became the expectation there was some kind of strange hope. I haven't had hope for anything other than the arena issue to resolve itself for 3 years now. Can't wait for these clowns to go.

It wasnt reported by anybody, it came from softy seattle's radio guy who was playing out his theories on the radio. so of course sonics fans ran with it as fact or "must be true because he played golf with ballmer" so far their is no validity to it, there just grasping at straws.
This. I saw his tweet saying he was going to give his idea where the NBA wouldn't have to have a vote. To his credit, he downplayed the likelihood. To his discredit, he went on with assumption after assumption before coming to his conclusion that the league would ask Johnson to back out.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
This. I saw his tweet saying he was going to give his idea where the NBA wouldn't have to have a vote. To his credit, he downplayed the likelihood. To his discredit, he went on with assumption after assumption before coming to his conclusion that the league would ask Johnson to back out.
The completely dumb thing here is that...

the league doesn't have to ask KJ to back out. KJ doesn't have a signed contract with the Maloofs to back out of.

If the league wants the team to go to Seattle, they simply vote for relocation. The reason there are rumors from our side that the league might ask Hansen to back out are at least somewhat grounded in non-delusional thought because...

Hansen has a contract!!!

Yes, the league might prefer the Kings to stay in Sac, and they might (not necessarily will, but it's plausible) ask Hansen to back out to avoid anti-trust lawsuits and nod-nod-wink-wink him an expansion franchise. They won't ask KJ to back out. KJ has no legal recourse here, nothing to back out of, no contract, no anti-trust case, nothing. If the NBA wants the team in Seattle, they approve the move, and that's it. If the NBA wants the team in Sacramento, they have to finesse some stuff.

Now, I wonder why this whole thing is taking so long...couldn't be "finesse", could it?

First, as funkykingston already pointed out, they'd be asking the Ranadive led group to back out, not the Mayor.

Secondly, it would make absolutely ZERO sense -- let me repeat .... ZERO sense -- to ask the city trying to keep their team to back out of doing so. No matter how inept the attempt to keep the team could potentially be, those attempting to keep what they already have are always going to go down swinging. It would be utterly disrespectful to expect or ask otherwise.

Stern and the NBA are a lot smarter than those that bought in to that tweet.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
First, as funkykingston already pointed out, they'd be asking the Ranadive led group to back out, not the Mayor.

Secondly, it would make absolutely ZERO sense -- let me repeat .... ZERO sense -- to ask the city trying to keep their team to back out of doing so. No matter how inept the attempt to keep the team could potentially be, those attempting to keep what they already have are always going to go down swinging. It would be utterly disrespectful to expect or ask otherwise.

Stern and the NBA are a lot smarter than those that bought in to that tweet.
And, from what I've seen, Sacramento fans are a lot more versed in the nuances of all this than the Seattle folk. Of course, it could be that we've been at it so much longer.

And, from what I've seen, Sacramento fans are a lot more versed in the nuances of all this than the Seattle folk. Of course, it could be that we've been at it so much longer.
Hey, two can play the same game....

I heard from a friend's cousin who has an uncle who knows someone whose sister is in New York that Stern already told Hansen that the Kings are keeping the team, but that Hansen still wants the whole process to play out so that he has more experience when he goes after the Bucks and so that the BoG will have more sympathy.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Hey, two can play the same game....

I heard from a friend's cousin who has an uncle who knows someone whose sister is in New York that Stern already told Hansen that the Kings are keeping the team, but that Hansen still wants the whole process to play out so that he has more experience when he goes after the Bucks and so that the BoG will have more sympathy.
The way the Bucks are playing so far, I don't think Milwaukee would even notice if they leave. There's a rumor floating around that they haven't even sold out any of their playoff games.