this smarts a little

This from the scouting report on the Kings on NBA.com:

http://www.nba.com/preview2004/sac.html

"This is a team in turmoil right now. They were playing very well before Chris Webber came back. When he did, they fell apart. He has this negative effect on teammates. Adelman has had trouble coaching Webber ... That being said, Bibby is one of the best point guards and Peja is one of the best shooters in the league ... Losing Vlade hurts because he was one of the better passers and teammates in the league ... The team chemistry isn't great there ... It's not like the old Oakland A's where you can fight in the locker room and then go out and win. It's hard enough in the NBA to win when everyone is on the same page ... The Kings are in the same spot as the Lakers; they could barely make the playoffs."
--Western Conference scout

Of course, it's easy to hide behind anonymity. Maybe it's a guy with a grudge; Adelman turned him down for a job, whatever. But, sadly, this opinion keeps popping up in different places. It's almost taken on a life of its own.

I don't think the Kings are going to crash and burn, barring a devastating injury; what's more likely to happen, though, is that a number of Western Conference teams are going to be much more competitive than they were last season, so the Kings could be just as good and win fewer games.

"This is a team in turmoil right now. They were playing very well before Chris Webber came back. When he did, they fell apart."

His opening line discredits him as a scout. No mention of injuries and scheduele difficulties is irresponsible.

Heuge said:
"This is a team in turmoil right now. They were playing very well before Chris Webber came back. When he did, they fell apart."

His opening line discredits him as a scout. No mention of injuries and scheduele difficulties is irresponsible.
You must know more than him (and everyone else that dares have a pragmatic vision of the current Kings).

Heuge said:

I'm not really sure why you're using the excuses of injuries and schedule. Fact is the Kings dropped 3 crucial season-end games against inferior opponents (Denver, Phoenix, and GSW) that would have put them in a significantly stronger playoff position. Brad Miller was back by that time, and even without Bjax, they should have won those games. In fact, Bobby came back and played in that Minny game, and they still lost. So, that's really 4 games they should have won.

thedofd said:
this one smarts a little
but the article to the left doesn't:

The window might be closing, but it's still plenty ajar if the Sacramento Kings can get their act together in the postseason.

The Kings lost Vlade Divac to free agency and Gerald Wallace in the expansion draft, but the rotation is more or less unchanged otherwise. The only dip into the free agent pool was to nab Greg Ostertag as a backup to Brad Miller.

Miller steps in at center after a career-best year, when he averaged a double-double and 4.3 assists per game in his first season in Sacramento. Though he was slated as a sixth man last year, he started most of the season for Chris Webber, who missed 59 games.

Webber is back, hoping to regain his double-double form of a year ago. His numbers were down accross the board a year ago, but the biggest cause for concern was the 41 percent shooting from the field. If he returns to his dominant form and spends less time on the perimeter, the Kings have one of the league's premier power forwards.

Webber, to his credit, deserves a lifetime achievement award from the Kings. After initially spurning the team and the city upon his arrival in 1998, he is the player most responsible for turning around the Kings fortunes and turning them into an elite team.

Mike Bibby and Doug Christie started 82 games together in the Kings backcourt. That shouldn't change. Bibby is one of the league's top clutch players, who is coming off of a career year (18.4 points per game). Christie, 34, is still a defensive stopper who somehow managed to reach double figures (10.1 points per game last year) in a loaded lineup.

Peja Stojakovic took the Olympics off to rest up after averaging 40 minutes a game and looking tired during the postseason. Stojakovic picked up the scoring load in Webber's absence, leading the Kings with 24.2 points per game.

The Kings have so much punch in their starting lineup that their lack of depth might only surface in the event of an injury. The biggest asset on the bench is Bobby Jackson, a combo guard who has been one of the league's best bench players the past three seasons. Continuity under Rick Adelman, big men who pass the ball, spectacular 3-point shooting; it seems the Kings have a little of everything except an NBA title to show for their success. Sacramento is a contender once again, but isn't equipped to endure an extended injury, so they'll need a little good fortune (but then who doesn't?) to make the ultimate triumph.

AceKingSuited said:
I'm not really sure why you're using the excuses of injuries and schedule. Fact is the Kings dropped 3 crucial season-end games against inferior opponents (Denver, Phoenix, and GSW) that would have put them in a significantly stronger playoff position. Brad Miller was back by that time, and even without Bjax, they should have won those games. In fact, Bobby came back and played in that Minny game, and they still lost. So, that's really 4 games they should have won.
While those arguments are better then what I have heard I still think injuries and scheduel played some (I think great; other should at least say small) role in the late slow finish. IMO it is irresponcible to neglect those facts altogether.

Last edited:
G

Garliguy

This is a team in turmoil right now. They were playing very well before Chris Webber came back. When he did, they fell apart. He has this negative effect on teammates.
Well how about that. Another hater!

Heuge said:
While those arguments are better then what I have heard I still think injuries and scheduel played some (I think great; other should at least say small) role in the late slow finish. IMO it is irresponcible to neglect those facts altogether.
I'm guessing by injuries you mean Bobby Jackson. What do you mean by schedule? Back-to-backs? The loss to Golden State wasn't on a back to back. And they lost both games on the back to back against Minny and Phoenix.

A

AriesMar27

piksi said:
One can only imagine what they will be saying if we start 0-3 which is very possible.
Yeah... we have a scary season opener, the Texas triangle. but the those 3 teams always start off slow, so you never know.

AriesMar27 said:
Yeah... we have a scary season opener, the Texas triangle. but the those 3 teams always start off slow, so you never know.
Uh...not always...Mavs won their first 14 games in 2002-03 and ended the season with 60 wins. :eek: I don't wanna see THAT start again for any of those Texas teams!!

:)
KK!

thedofd said:

"This is a team in turmoil right now. The team chemistry isn't great there
turmoil? what kind of turmoil? is it that 3-peat laker dynasty type turmoil, b/c I can handle that.LOL

They were playing very well before Chris Webber came back. When he did, they fell apart.
i've never understood this logic. when has the kings ever done bad when a player was missing from the line-up(during the regular season)? yes i know the kings began to lose, but i'm also aware there were more factors to that than just webb coming back into the line up.

He has this negative effect on teammates. Adelman has had trouble coaching Webber ..
which teammates? when did adelman go from being "afraid to bench webber" in the PO's b/c their freinds(or whatever) to webb not listening to him? i need to be updated....

the only people that can determine where the kings go, are the kings. Nobody can ever determine what will happen in anything. So to all the Ms. Cleo's out there, just watch and see... The kings are going to do what they are used to doing, and that is winning. And another thing, everybody that is in sac is dreading the upcoming season, but what about the brighter side of the season. For one thing, the rookies. I can't wait to see how Martin and Minard do (if they get any playing time). And another thing, we have less to worry about with shaq gone, as i see it right now the east is starting to look more like a contender. All those years of low births and lottery picks for them are starting to pay off big time. And the western conference is just going down, first shaq, who next? But i suppose that is how it has always been. Changin and changin

thedofd said:
This from the scouting report on the Kings on NBA.com:

http://www.nba.com/preview2004/sac.html

"This is a team in turmoil right now. They were playing very well before Chris Webber came back. When he did, they fell apart. He has this negative effect on teammates. Adelman has had trouble coaching Webber ... That being said, Bibby is one of the best point guards and Peja is one of the best shooters in the league ... Losing Vlade hurts because he was one of the better passers and teammates in the league ... The team chemistry isn't great there ... It's not like the old Oakland A's where you can fight in the locker room and then go out and win. It's hard enough in the NBA to win when everyone is on the same page ... The Kings are in the same spot as the Lakers; they could barely make the playoffs."
--Western Conference scout

Of course, it's easy to hide behind anonymity. Maybe it's a guy with a grudge; Adelman turned him down for a job, whatever. But, sadly, this opinion keeps popping up in different places. It's almost taken on a life of its own.

I don't think the Kings are going to crash and burn, barring a devastating injury; what's more likely to happen, though, is that a number of Western Conference teams are going to be much more competitive than they were last season, so the Kings could be just as good and win fewer games.
Anybody wanna bet this guy is probably a scout for the Hawks or some other horrible team?:p