Third Guard Options

Without a third guard option, the team is losing leads and struggling to come back. It's a lack of reliability off the bench and lack of outside shooting.

So might as well make a thread for discussion.

Most of the options are poor defensive players, but considering that they're replacing Sessions then it's not much of a dropoff on that end.

Possible Players:

Pablo Prigioni - Small contract. Shooting extremely well from deep.
Luke Ridnour - Vet stuck on a young team. Has shot well in the past but has also struggled from deep in the past. Up and down career.
Gary Neal - Combo guard. Lot of scoring punch. Hornets suck this year, might be open to any move.
Jeremy Lin - Would involve trading DWill. Not sure why Lakers do it. Not sure Lakers care if they do it or not. Not sure Kobe realizes he's on the team.

I like Prigioni the most from that list, but he alone is not enough. We also need a stand in for Nik Stauskas, who also can't dribble the ball or shoot. For that role, like Prigioni's team mate, JR Smith.

Jose Calderon (also from NYK) might also be available, and we know our FO likes him. They tried to sign him before.

I recognize the use we could have for a third NYK player, Andrea Bargnani. I assume that part of our turnover problem is lack of spacing, which he could provide. However, considering his contract and all the other areas he'd hurt us in, I'm not eager to get him.

Last edited:
Andre Miller could probably be had for Williams, Andre is just under 5 million and expires.
Augustin in Detroit 3 million this season and next, could be easy to get in a Smith deal.

I'd trade Sessions for his former teammate Nate Wolters. He couldn't be any worse... and actually has a respectable ast:to ratio. Sessions sucks. We need to find our 3rd guard quickly if we want to move on.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
why would the Wizards get rid of Andre Miller in order to attain Williams? that makes no sense...Andre, despite his age is still a decent backup and he backs up Wall so he isn't going anywhere.

why would the Wizards get rid of Andre Miller in order to attain Williams? that makes no sense...Andre, despite his age is still a decent backup and he backs up Wall so he isn't going anywhere.
I just took a look at their roster, and they have depth at the SF and PF too, and nothing at pg. So you are probably correct, so Miller is off the list most likely unless they would take Sessions which I doubt.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Neal and Ridnour are realistic options. If you want to call guys like that "options". have some concern about Neal as a lockerroom presence too.

Neal and Ridnour are realistic options. If you want to call guys like that "options". have some concern about Neal as a lockerroom presence too.
I know Neal and Sanders didn't get along in Milwaukee, but not getting along with Sanders may be a positive personality trait. He was fine when he was on the Spurs as Popovich doesn't put up with locker room nonsense (and also winning helps.) My standard advice when considering taking someone who played well on the Spurs is don't do it. That team is full of hothouse flowers that wouldn't work outside that environment (with the exception of Timmy.)

I know Neal and Sanders didn't get along in Milwaukee, but not getting along with Sanders may be a positive personality trait. He was fine when he was on the Spurs as Popovich doesn't put up with locker room nonsense (and also winning helps.) My standard advice when considering taking someone who played well on the Spurs is don't do it. That team is full of hothouse flowers that wouldn't work outside that environment (with the exception of Timmy.)
I'd take Patty Mills right here, right now

I'd take Patty Mills right here, right now
Patty Mills is a perfect example of my "don't pick up Spurs FA" rule of thumb. He is a very good outside shooter with no proven ability to run an offense like the Kings. He gets lots of open looks because Popovich is a warlock, but stick him in a stagnant, pound the paint, offense like the Kings run, and you are asking him to do something he has never done well.

You know what our offense reminds me of? The Nate McMillan Blazers with lots of Roy iso and Aldridge post play. That is also the system where Mills washed out of the league.

Patty Mills is a perfect example of my "don't pick up Spurs FA" rule of thumb. He is a very good outside shooter with no proven ability to run an offense like the Kings. He gets lots of open looks because Popovich is a warlock, but stick him in a stagnant, pound the paint, offense like the Kings run, and you are asking him to do something he has never done well.

You know what our offense reminds me of? The Nate McMillan Blazers with lots of Roy iso and Aldridge post play. That is also the system where Mills washed out of the league.
From what I've seen from Mills and his skillset in the last 2 seasons, he's got plenty of ball handling and skill to set up an offense. At least as important, he's a consistent clutch dead eye shooter

From what I've seen from Mills and his skillset in the last 2 seasons, he's got plenty of ball handling and skill to set up an offense. At least as important, he's a consistent clutch dead eye shooter
My worry is that we have a penchant for players coming here and all of a sudden not be able to hit the broad side of a barn. He is also a dead eye shooter because he gets great looks. Doubt he shoots here as well as he has been for SA.

My worry is that we have a penchant for players coming here and all of a sudden not be able to hit the broad side of a barn. He is also a dead eye shooter because he gets great looks. Doubt he shoots here as well as he has been for SA.
That could be true, but then what do you do when you're looking for shooting? All you can go on is someone's skillset and what they've proven that they're capable of. Most importantly, how they've shot recently

That could be true, but then what do you do when you're looking for shooting? All you can go on is someone's skillset and what they've proven that they're capable of. Most importantly, how they've shot recently
If it were me, I would look for a shooter that can both shoot well without being set up as well as being a spot up shooter. An example would be a Kyle Korver or JJ Redick. If I am going to do this, I am going to do it right and get the best shooter I can. I have mentioned somewhere before if Atlanta would be willing to break up their core (let's be honest, they are stuck being mediocre), I would gladly take both Korver and Horford.

Bricklayer

If it were me, I would look for a shooter that can both shoot well without being set up as well as being a spot up shooter. An example would be a Kyle Korver or JJ Redick. If I am going to do this, I am going to do it right and get the best shooter I can. I have mentioned somewhere before if Atlanta would be willing to break up their core (let's be honest, they are stuck being mediocre), I would gladly take both Korver and Horford.

Atlanta actually rather likes their team as I understand it. Its the east, they are perennial playoff team if Horford is healthy.

Atlanta actually rather likes their team as I understand it. Its the east, they are perennial playoff team if Horford is healthy.
Too bad, and they have been a playoff team for years now (not all that difficult to do in the east). At some point I am hoping that it just isn't good enough. They have enough talent to make it to the 2nd round, but I don't see how they get past teams like Chicago, Cavaliers, and Washington.

Bricklayer

Too bad, and they have been a playoff team for years now (not all that difficult to do in the east). At some point I am hoping that it just isn't good enough. They have enough talent to make it to the 2nd round, but I don't see how they get past teams like Chicago, Cavaliers, and Washington.
neither do they, but....playoffs. Keep on piddling along making them, poke around with little moves, and hope to get lucky. Maybe they are scared by Horford's health and lack of early season helpfulness. Maybe. They love Korver though. They are the ultimate 3pt chucking team. He's practically their heart and soul. Chucker in chief.

K

KingMilz

I mentioned another guy who could play PG/SG/SF in Evan Turner in another thread, he's on a fairly good contract as well, if we need shot creating/scoring off the bench than ET is a pretty good option. He's also built a solid reputation as a decent defender during his NBA career and has looked solid in Boston after that disaster that was Indiana for him.

I think Mario Chalmers could be an interesting option for our bench leader.
He knows his role really well and does what it takes to win.. knock down threes, defend, and help initiate the offense at times.

he might be available with Shabazz Napiers emergence in Miami, they also have Cole too.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Woooo first post....that being said I'm just gonna throw this out here:
http://www.nba.com/kings/blog/bighorns-update-heslip-numbers

I don't think he's an answer to the backup pg situation, but the kid can shoot. 60% from 3?? And over 2 steals a game??
The Reno team is running a "gimmicky" scheme which is predicated on taking very quick shots and playing token defense (except defense in the backcourt, I think...) I would venture to guess that that Heslip's great shooting numbers may be a result of him getting very good shots (no knock there, if you hit them you hit them) but that his looks are likely wide open because of a lack of half-court defense that is unlikely to be a wise strategy at the NBA level. The per-game steal numbers may be inflated by the increased pace of the Reno scheme as well.

I don't have enough knowledge of Heslip to say "absolutely not", but I think there may be some mitigating factors that I'd like to see cleared up before I get excited about him.

Woooo first post....that being said I'm just gonna throw this out here:
http://www.nba.com/kings/blog/bighorns-update-heslip-numbers

I don't think he's an answer to the backup pg situation, but the kid can shoot. 60% from 3?? And over 2 steals a game??
Can't be much worse than Sessions has been this year.

Wow, just watched some highlights. Do they seriously just dribble it up the court and take the first 3 pt attempt they can? I guess it would cut down on turnovers, but that offense can't be sustainable.

The Reno team is running a "gimmicky" scheme which is predicated on taking very quick shots and playing token defense (except defense in the backcourt, I think...) I would venture to guess that that Heslip's great shooting numbers may be a result of him getting very good shots (no knock there, if you hit them you hit them) but that his looks are likely wide open because of a lack of half-court defense that is unlikely to be a wise strategy at the NBA level. The per-game steal numbers may be inflated by the increased pace of the Reno scheme as well.

I don't have enough knowledge of Heslip to say "absolutely not", but I think there may be some mitigating factors that I'd like to see cleared up before I get excited about him.
Interesting. Isn't the point to get players ready to move up into the big leagues? It seems like running something unorthodox and very specialized would not lend itself well to grooming young talent.