The MMA thread

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
Except that Rousey is still the best, whether she fights Justino or not. Because she's the best Bantamweight. She doesn't have to prove that she's the best Featherweight.

I'm not about that "the best fight the best" life. Rousey is a professional fighter, but she's a prize fighter. The only people she has to fight is whomever she's paid to fight. If and when they put enough money in front of her that it's worth her while to take a catch weight fight, then she'll probably do it. Let me put it like this: Rousey took home $230K ($110K downside guaranteed) for UFC 190. If I were Ronda Rousey, I wouldn't accept a catch weight fight with Justino for a penny less than half a million dollars. Otherwise, make Cyborg make weight.

Besides which, the problem is not that these other women are "tomato cans," the problem is that Rousey is in a class by herself. Rousey's maniac mother has been preparing her for this since she was a pre-adolescent, years before WMMA existed. She's a modern fighter, while everybody else in her division is in the dark ages. But saying that every single fighter that Rousey has faced is a "tomato can" is like saying that every player in the NBA who's not LeBron James or Anthony Davis is a scrub.

I'm glad guys like Dan Henderson, Wanderlei Silva etc didn't adopt this mentality.
, I also seeem to recall her fighting exclusively at featherweight in 2011 before she moved to bantamweight so not sure why it would be a stretch to fight at a catch weight to definitively prove who the best female fighter is. You seem to be grossly underestimating Cyborg btw.
And yes, fighters like Correia are tomato cans. She had NO business being in that cage with RR and everyone knew it going into that fight. And it wasn't just because RR was that much better it's because her skill level was that low

Slim what are your thoughts on a 3rd Rousey/Tate fight? if RR keeps honing her striking skills Tate won't stand a chance. That was one thing she was superior at.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
I'm glad guys like Dan Henderson, Wanderlei Silva etc didn't adopt this mentality.
:: shrugs ::

You like what you like; it's whatever. As someone who is not a hardcore MMA fan, I can tell you that I've never seen either one of those guys fight, and don't aspire to.

... I also seeem to recall her fighting exclusively at featherweight in 2011 before she moved to bantamweight so not sure why it would be a stretch to fight at a catch weight to definitively prove who the best female fighter is.
And now we're back to the central thesis: you believe that this is something that Rousey has to prove. I don't.

You seem to be grossly underestimating Cyborg btw.
Maybe. All I know is that, since signing with Invicta, after getting suspended by Strikeforce (and this fact can never be repeated often enough) for getting popped for steroids, Justino's four wins in Invicta have come against opponents whose combined record in Invicta is 3-5. Rousey's six wins in UFC have come against opponents whose combined record in UFC is 17-10. Remind me who's fighting tomato cans, again?

And yes, fighters like Correia are tomato cans. She had NO business being in that cage with RR and everyone knew it going into that fight. And it wasn't just because RR was that much better it's because her skill level was that low
If Ronda Rousey didn't exist, Bethe Correia would be the Ronda Rousey of that division.

Slim what are your thoughts on a 3rd Rousey/Tate fight? if RR keeps honing her striking skills Tate won't stand a chance. That was one thing she was superior at.
I'll watch. I compared Rousey to Tyson earlier for a reason: I'm not paying to see a Rousey fight, I'm paying to see the spectacle. I want to see Rousey win in under twenty seconds.

Cyborg is the only challenge (and trust me, Ronda will dispense her pretty easily too) but NO, as has been pointed out, it's up to Cyborg to move down. I mean, I think Ronda would be wise to accept a 140 catchweight for financial reasons, and because she'll beat her, but nobody can criticise her if she doesn't. I love Ronda, she's on a different level. It's almost a shame Ronda isn't here 10 years from now, when the standard of women's MMA takes another step up. I love Miesha too, but her best hope is lasting a round or two with Ronda. I think this time Ronda dispatches her in one.

Rumours of a Rousey co-main with Conor/Aldo Main in Dec/Jan. That has a very good chance of being the highest selling MMA ppv of all time, even though it may not surpass Brock. From a strictly MMA point, it should. But PPVs for a large part are sold to the very casual viewer who doesn't watch MMA religiously.

I almost want to see Rousey tell UFC, "Okay, I'm going to go make movies now. Holla at me when you find somebody worth my time.
Yeah, but it wouldn't be in her best interests. I mean, she's being underpaid by the UFC now (who isn't@?). I think her guaranteed pay was 200K after bonuses after Bethe. I mean, if I'm Ronda, a massive "**** that"! Ronda is an absolute massive draw! I think she's too nice to Dana. Conor apparently bet a week before the fight 3 million dollars of his own purse that he would KO Mendes in the 2nd (ridiculous bet but that's Conor). All reports were that Dana dismissed it but according to Conor, Dana paid out.

My point is, Rondo is clearly a top 3 draw (and deservedly so, Rondo is ****ing amazing), she should demand as much as Conor does.

Can MMA fans here appreciate the fact that about two years ago there was a tiny minority here in Ireland watching Conor absolutely destroy his oppposition week in week out for dimes? It's amazing how fast things progess.

Yeah, but it wouldn't be in her best interests. I mean, she's being underpaid by the UFC now (who isn't@?). I think her guaranteed pay was 200K after bonuses after Bethe. I mean, if I'm Ronda, a massive "**** that"! Ronda is an absolute massive draw! I think she's too nice to Dana. Conor apparently bet a week before the fight 3 million dollars of his own purse that he would KO Mendes in the 2nd (ridiculous bet but that's Conor). All reports were that Dana dismissed it but according to Conor, Dana paid out.

My point is, Rondo is clearly a top 3 draw (and deservedly so, Rondo is ****ing amazing), she should demand as much as Conor does.

Can MMA fans here appreciate the fact that about two years ago there was a tiny minority here in Ireland watching Conor absolutely destroy his oppposition week in week out for dimes? It's amazing how fast things progess.
i think conor may flame out...he is a lot of hype...and yes he def has substance, i don't think a guy that walks around at just around 5'10 and 170lbs should be fighting at Featherweight. And yet even with that huge size advantage he was still exposed against Mendes in his last fight. He is going to have problems with strong wrestlers...but the thing about that last fight was that while he got dominated for the better part of 2 rounds, he is so much bigger than a lot of these Featherweights that his punching power can end the fight quickly...as he did against Mendes once they stood up and he tee'd off. With his size, he should be be fighting at Lightweight or Welterweight......but he is the new cash cow, along with RR, for the UFC so i guess it won't matter.

Last edited:

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
MOD NOTE: Portions of this thread have been removed. Please keep it about the topic at hand. Any future posts relating to the deleted comments will also be deleted. Keep it civil, or take it to private conversations.

K

KingMilz

i think conor may flame out...he is a lot of hype...and yes he def has substance, i don't think a guy that walks around at just around 5'10 and 170lbs should be fighting at Featherweight. And yet even with that huge size advantage he was still exposed against Mendes in his last fight. He is going to have problems with strong wrestlers...but the thing about that last fight was that while he got dominated for the better part of 2 rounds, he is so much bigger than a lot of these Featherweights that his punching power can end the fight quickly...as he did against Mendes once they stood up and he tee'd off. With his size, he should be be fighting at Lightweight or Welterweight......but he is the new cash cow, along with RR, for the UFC so i guess it won't matter.
Mendes barley trained for the fight which is why he basically gassed (he never gasses) and could not take the body kicks Connor was smacking him with well. The other thing about the size advantage it will be a massive determent soon because the UFC is banning IV's meaning you can't use them and rehydrate properly which presents massive dangers to the body/brain/energy level's if you keep cutting massive amounts of weight.

The majority of the deaths caused in boxing are due to poor/large weight cuts (not properly re-hydrating which a IV is almost 100% needed for)combined with long trauma during a fight. I hope this forces more fighters to fight at a more natural weight (i.e Frankie Edgar when he was @155 or Nick Diaz @180). In a perfect world people would just fight at there own natural weight and therefore would not have to worry about weights cuts and have more energy during the fight. I think it would also reduce the need for steroids somewhat although they will still be rampant like in basically any elite level sport.

The UFC is taking a very dangerous step here imo, they are trying to clean up the sport but at the same time the reduced pay (due to reebook) and not allowing IV's puts fighters health at risk in a ultimate risk enviroment.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mendes barley trained for the fight which is why he basically gassed (he never gasses) and could not take the body kicks Connor was smacking him with well. The other thing about the size advantage it will be a massive determent soon because the UFC is banning IV's meaning you can't use them and rehydrate properly which presents massive dangers to the body/brain/energy level's if you keep cutting massive amounts of weight.

The majority of the deaths caused in boxing are due to poor/large weight cuts (not properly re-hydrating which a IV is almost 100% needed for)combined with long trauma during a fight. I hope this forces more fighters to fight at a more natural weight (i.e Frankie Edgar when he was @155 or Nick Diaz @180). In a perfect world people would just fight at there own natural weight and therefore would not have to worry about weights cuts and have more energy during the fight. I think it would also reduce the need for steroids somewhat although they will still be rampant like in basically any elite level sport.

The UFC is taking a very dangerous step here imo, they are trying to clean up the sport but at the same time the reduced pay (due to reebook) and not allowing IV's puts fighters health at risk in a ultimate risk enviroment.
Very interesting. I didn't know they were doing away with the IVs after weight cut. That is huge for someone like CM...that guy literally drops like 25 lbs in a week or 2 for his fights. He looks more emaciated than most after his weight cuts. Do you remember Thiago Alves? He used to cut down to 170 for welterweight fights then walk in the cage at 200. Crazy

K

KingMilz

Very interesting. I didn't know they were doing away with the IVs after weight cut. That is huge for someone like CM...that guy literally drops like 25 lbs in a week or 2 for his fights. He looks more emaciated than most after his weight cuts. Do you remember Thiago Alves? He used to cut down to 170 for welterweight fights then walk in the cage at 200. Crazy
Alves is actually considering going to 155 under that Dolce diet thing he's on (with former TUF contestant Mike Dolce's expertise in nutrition), but yeah the reason they are taking IV's away is to even further more crack down on drug use I was listening to the Joe Rogan Experience (best podcast ever) and I can't remember exactly what type of doping ( i think it was blood doping but I could be 100% wrong) it was they were preventing by doing so.

K

KingMilz

Wow if Connor losses to Aldo as well going to be a horrible couple months for the UFC money wise.

Also I wonder if people still think Ronda could beat up Flloyd lol.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Yeah, Dana is not happy that his cash cow got completely outclassed last night. UFC has been pumping up RR hard for some time now.
I can't help but wonder if all the commercials, photo shoots, etc. didn't in some way distract Rousey from the task at hand - training for this fight.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
Eh, Floyd Mayweather is a stain on the earth but, look at how Holly Holm killed Ronda last night, and now imagine her trying to fight somebody who fought exactly like that, but who also hits twice as hard.