The Trade - we got Gay

That trade is looking pretty good for us. Can anyone tell me what the key was to some national commentators saying Toronto got the best of it? Looking at the last ten games for our two teams, Toronto is 7-3 and we are 4-6. We are starting Gay to great advantage, using Acy a lot, and some use out of Gray. In most Toronto games Salmons, Vasquez and PPat are the first three off the bench and are playing lots of minutes. Looks like it helped both but why did Toronto get the nod as the winner?

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
That trade is looking pretty good for us. Can anyone tell me what the key was to some national commentators saying Toronto got the best of it? Looking at the last ten games for our two teams, Toronto is 7-3 and we are 4-6. We are starting Gay to great advantage, using Acy a lot, and some use out of Gray. In most Toronto games Salmons, Vasquez and PPat are the first three off the bench and are playing lots of minutes. Looks like it helped both but why did Toronto get the nod as the winner?
Gay's problems started with that mega contract he signed. it was stupidly big. too big for a non-superstar.

Then Hollinger came along with his efficiency kick (note he has efficiencied the Grizzlies right into last place in the Southwest) and pronounced Rudy the problem that was holding Memphis back. Bad timing too, because Rudy had started the year with his worst offensive season. So then he heads on up to Toronto, which is a franchise everyone loved to make fun of under Brian Colangelo and his contract was too big, and Hollinger, great god of tax nerds that he was had pronounced him The Problem, and Rudy wasn't able to save the Raptors because he was never that guy, never the guy his contract said he was. Then he starts off this year under a crap coach in a silly offensive system trying to turn him into a point forward, he's got a duplicative talent alongside him in DeRozan, and they just died out there, as did Rudy's percentages, which REALLY allowed all the analytics efficiency nuts to hop around proclaiming their knowitallness (Rudy as you may have noticed is actually a talented basketball player form themidrange and in the post, which do not compute with analytics guys who have decided the only two things you can do on a basketball court is chuck threes and shoot FTs).

And that's how you can get yourself a Top 10 position talent for a pile of bench players, and have numbnuts everywhere smugly proclaim how screwed you are. Numbnuts can be handy sometimes. It became such a hip thing to run Rudy down that it actually drove down his trade value to the point we could get a 20ppg scorer for nothing we wanted.

I was watching League Pass and the raps happened to be the opponent and you probably have an idea how great it is to see stinky fish, Hayes and Patterson all check in at the same time not in Kings jerseys. Vasquez had his moments here as did Patterson who's shot went totally missing but as a whole good trade.

dude12

Hall of Famer
I think we got the better part of the deal...it freed up room for Ross, Amir Johnson is playing better, and the bench seems to be better for Toronto but their record since the trade is partly built on Eastern Conference teams while we are in the Western grind. VF also mentioned contract and I think it's a majority of the perception. I've said several times in the past, I thought Memphis screwed themselves getting rid of Gay.

Remember the team before the 2 trades....we had a hard time scoring consistently...now we seem to be a tough team to handle offensively.

K

KingMilz

4 of there wins came against NYK without Melo and the Bulls without half the roster they beat Dallas (1point) who we trashed without Gay and OKC who we lost to by 1 point without Godsins, they had a much easier road to 7-3. They also beat 76ers who we play 2morro

Wins over Houston x2, Miami > OKC/Dallas

Basically, Hollinger's hubris and the Grizz overpaying got us an all-star type talent in exchange for bench players. His contract is bad, but the Kings only have one more year left with it and that also means the team gets Gay playing in a contract year.

The_Jamal

Hall of Famer
Marc Gasol being hurt MIGHT have something to do with the Grizzlies struggles. I'm not too certain, but taking a DPOY, the 2nd option and the best passer on the Grizzlies has the potential to hurt the team's chances of winning.

But I'm sure it's Hollinger's fault. He should have predicted Gasol's season ending injury and broken up a WCF team accordingly

Bricklayer

Marc Gasol being hurt MIGHT have something to do with the Grizzlies struggles. I'm not too certain, but taking a DPOY, the 2nd option and the best passer on the Grizzlies has the potential to hurt the team's chances of winning.

But I'm sure it's Hollinger's fault. He should have predicted Gasol's season ending injury and broken up a WCF team accordingly
Alternately, he might not have blown the talent off the roster in pursuit of "efficiency", and chased the coach out of town in the process. Funny how those things can actually weaken a franchise to the point they can't survive bumps in the road anymore.

Alternately, he might not have blown the talent off the roster in pursuit of "efficiency", and chased the coach out of town in the process. Funny how those things can actually weaken a franchise to the point they can't survive bumps in the road anymore.
He didn't blow anything off the roster. That team has stayed the same sans Rudy and adding a few pieces like Koufos, Davis, Pondexter, etc.

And it was a needed trade. Conley and Gasol weren't getting enough shots. Prince is a shell of himself obviously, but he can still D up a bit and he stays out of the way on offense

Entity

Hall of Famer
Jamal I didn't realize how against this trade you were until tonight. Did you rather keep what we traded to the raps? Maybe pursue other avenues?. What's your deal? Why the angst against Gay? Anytime somebody says something good about Rudy you come up with a stat or a record from the past to debunk the joy. Quite frankly it's pissing me off a little. I know you haven't been here long not sure how long you been a kings fan but we haven't had much to get excited about for about 7-8 years.

Bricklayer

Jamal I didn't realize how against this trade you were until tonight. Did you rather keep what we traded to the raps? Maybe pursue other avenues?. What's your deal? Why the angst against Gay? Anytime somebody says something good about Rudy you come up with a stat or a record from the past to debunk the joy. Quite frankly it's pissing me off a little. I know you haven't been here long not sure how long you been a kings fan but we haven't had much to get excited about for about 7-8 years.

Jamal has been here 4+ years and last night was kind enough to give Gay an A for his efforts in the grade thread.

The larger issue for all "advanced metric" people is that Gay became their pariah, and its going to be as hard to back off that ledge as it is for Zach Lowe to eat crow on Cousins. Maybe even harder, as it runs straight to basic philosophy. It would be like me embracing a weenie tweener "stretch 4" as the future of the position for us. Screw that. I know better.

Entity

Hall of Famer
Jamal has been here 4+ years and last night was kind enough to give Gay an A for his efforts in the grade thread.

The larger issue for all "advanced metric" people is that Gay became their pariah, and its going to be as hard to back off that ledge as it is for Zach Lowe to eat crow on Cousins. Maybe even harder, as it runs straight to basic philosophy. It would be like me embracing a weenie tweener "stretch 4" as the future of the position for us. Screw that. I know better.
I'm guessing that's why the advanced stats guys like Isaiah so much because they don't talk about defense.

dude12

Hall of Famer
Just to follow up on Toronto...they beat Indiana tonight..big win for them. The Sac guys didn't do much, Lowry had 14 assists, but Derozan was chucking the ball up to the tune of 9-24. I'm sure he's excited that Gay is gone so he can fire away.

Entity

Hall of Famer
Toronto is now 9-3 after the Rudy Gay trade.
That's great in those 12 games 5 teams had winning records. In our 10 games with gay 7 of them had winning records. Guess it worked out for both teams but I hope your trying to put a negative spin to gay being here

That's great in those 12 games 5 teams had winning records. In our 10 games with gay 7 of them had winning records. Guess it worked out for both teams but I hope your trying to put a negative spin to gay being here
I'm just saying that Toronto is now 9-3 after the Rudy trade, well both team has actually benefited from the trade. Kings got an all-star level player, dumped some scrubs and Raptors got rid of Gay's contract.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
I'm just saying that Toronto is now 9-3 after the Rudy trade, well both team has actually benefited from the trade. Kings got an all-star level player, dumped some scrubs and Raptors got rid of Gay's contract.
So the w/l record is of no importance.

I'm guessing that's why the advanced stats guys like Isaiah so much because they don't talk about defense.
Advanced stats guys hate talking about defense because there are no defensive stats out there that you can definitively point to and say "Lo! Efficiency." On offense, one person puts the ball in the hoop and that simplifies things quite a bit. It allows know-nothings like myself to say "His PER is the 18th highest in the league," and pretend to be smart for a bit.

To be fair defense is much more team dependent than offense and you're in trouble when quantifying it. If you rotated as required by team gameplan, but your teammate didn't, then as a result there's a basket allowed by the team, while you are on the floor, and Synergy shows that you just allowed the player you guarded to score.

Entity

Hall of Famer
To be fair defense is much more team dependent than offense and you're in trouble when quantifying it. If you rotated as required by team gameplan, but your teammate didn't, then as a result there's a basket allowed by the team, while you are on the floor, and Synergy shows that you just allowed the player you guarded to score.
i don't know. if nobody ever passes you the ball your offensive stats won't be much lol..