The Rudy Gay Effect? (merged)

Woh....it's happening, the Rudy bump when he's gone, it's happening.

Payne is coming back December 29. If we regress with Rudy, how long before a deal takes place?
I don't know. I wouldn't get my hopes up. So far I think Vlade seems not to be a GM, who will jump the ship, but more a wait and see kind of guy. I honestly believe the plan is to play the season out and to try to resign Rudy.

dude12

Hall of Famer
I don't know. I wouldn't get my hopes up. So far I think Vlade seems not to be a GM, who will jump the ship, but more a wait and see kind of guy. I honestly believe the plan is to play the season out and to try to resign Rudy.
Except it was reported by, Woj, I think that the teams were coming together on a deal involving Rudy and Payne as the principals of a deal. I'd trade Gay and DC for Payne, Sabonis and salary filler if possible.....not sure that could work out but I think we should keep Lawson now instead of DC who looks and plays tentative.

Except it was reported by, Woj, I think that the teams were coming together on a deal involving Rudy and Payne as the principals of a deal. I'd trade Gay and DC for Payne, Sabonis and salary filler if possible.....not sure that could work out but I think we should keep Lawson now instead of DC who looks and plays tentative.
Ok. I just don't put much trust in Woj.

Sample size is still small on winning with Rudy out, maybe he comes back and buys in? That would be ideal because we are probably not getting as good of a contributor back in any type of deal.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Sample size is still small on winning with Rudy out, maybe he comes back and buys in? That would be ideal because we are probably not getting as good of a contributor back in any type of deal.
so you would rather just let him leave in free agency and get nothing in return?

Okay, I'll bite: what team would give up assets for a 4-6 month rental of Rudy Gay, and why? Who's a Rudy Gay away from contending?
OKC has a lottery picked PG behind their superstar and need scoring help on the wing.

Orlando is also making a desperate attempt to win now. They've been rumored to dangle Hezonja.

Around this time is the best time to trade Gay because teams start having visions of playoff grandeur and start looking for final pieces. There is probably a market for him.

dude12

Hall of Famer
Okay, I'll bite: what team would give up assets for a 4-6 month rental of Rudy Gay, and why? Who's a Rudy Gay away from contending?
OKC is in a position where they could use him as a second fiddle.....and they are in position to contend. Now I don't think they can get past some of these teams but that is the spot

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Personally I believe teams will believe Rudy has enough talent to take them to the next step, whatever that may be.

Will it? Probably not, but the talent is there for other teams to bite.

I vacillate back and forth on the trade Rudy idea. Sometimes I think we should just keep him, see how the season plays out any maybe make a shot at re-signing him. I know he said he wouldn't re-sign, but maybe if we make the playoffs that would change for him.

On the other hand, it would suck to lose him for nothing. And I do think OKC would really want him. Especially now with Oladipo's hand injury that is keeping him out.

I vacillate back and forth on the trade Rudy idea. Sometimes I think we should just keep him, see how the season plays out any maybe make a shot at re-signing him. I know he said he wouldn't re-sign, but maybe if we make the playoffs that would change for him.

On the other hand, it would suck to lose him for nothing. And I do think OKC would really want him. Especially now with Oladipo's hand injury that is keeping him out.
One caveat is that I believe his words were that he would opt out and seek a new contract. I don't remember him ever saying he definitely wanted out, and with the money being thrown around I can see him staying as a possibility.

Like I have said before, I like Rudy and think he is a great individual player, just not the most conducive to team play.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
OKC has a lottery picked PG behind their superstar and need scoring help on the wing.

Orlando is also making a desperate attempt to win now. They've been rumored to dangle Hezonja.

Around this time is the best time to trade Gay because teams start having visions of playoff grandeur and start looking for final pieces. There is probably a market for him.
OKC is in a position where they could use him as a second fiddle.....and they are in position to contend. Now I don't think they can get past some of these teams but that is the spot
Oklahoma City couldn't win a championship with Kevin Durant: you think that they're a Rudy Gay away from contending? You think that they're so all-in on trying to win now that they'd give up a lottery-pick PG for a five-month max rental of Rudy Gay? The Magic? Orlando might not even be a Rudy Gay away from the eighth seed.

"Visions of playoff grandeur" is literally our only hope to get anything for him.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
Personally I believe teams will believe Rudy has enough talent to take them to the next step, whatever that may be.

Will it? Probably not, but the talent is there for other teams to bite.
The talent was never the issue: in terms of trying to trade him, it's not the issue now. The issue is that he's going to opt out of his contract, and become an unrestricted free agent. That means that we're asking teams to give up stuff for a player that's going to walk at the end of the year... Who's doing that, unless they think that they can win now? Like, not now, but right now? Is any team a Rudy Gay away from beating the Warriors, in 2017? A healthy Clippers team, maybe? And what the hell can they give us?

I just went back up to be sure this was the "grade" thread.

We just won a game, two in a row. 8th place or 10th place, the mportant thing is we won the game. Gives us more hope that we will win again.

What's with the "tradeRudy" back and forth on here? He didn't play in the game! Our players and coach just won a game. Let's talk about it.

Did Joerger's decision to not start Temple or Lawson or to give playing time to Afflalo or not give Willie More time, did any of this cause us to lose the game? We won so Joerger should go!

Come on guys, cheer up! This win isn't the end of the world. Let's move on to the next game with the team Joerger puts together this time.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Whatever we get won't really do anything to help us, maybe someone gives us a second rounder? I doubt we get Payne and even if we do he is not ready yet either.
I'd much rather take a chance on Payne than losing Gay for nothing but cap space that will just be thrown around loosely again on C and D level free agents. How many of us have seen this story written before? Gay is who he is as a player and that won't change. He would make for a fantastic sixth man, but I don't see him going for that. Other than that option alone, you continue to work the phones because there will be a team, somewhere out there, that will take a flyer on him. If worst comes to worst, he walks in free agency and we have a gaping hole at SF, PG and SG.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member

We just won a game, two in a row. 8th place or 10th place, the mportant thing is we won the game. Gives us more hope that we will win again.

What's with the "tradeRudy" back and forth on here? He didn't play in the game!
Now that you mention it, that's a damned good question.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer

What's with the "tradeRudy" back and forth on here? He didn't play in the game! Our players and coach just won a game. Let's talk about it.

Did Joerger's decision to not start Temple or Lawson or to give playing time to Afflalo or not give Willie More time, did any of this cause us to lose the game? We won so Joerger should go!

Come on guys, cheer up! This win isn't the end of the world. Let's move on to the next game with the team Joerger puts together this time.
You know very well why this is being brought up. It's there for the naked eye to see, even if the Kings lose ball games without Rudy, the ball movement and defensive effort is glaring in terms of when he is on the court. It's only a small sample size so far, but I feel confident in saying that the "Rudy Gay effect" is real and it's that ball and chain attached to our ankle.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
The talent was never the issue: in terms of trying to trade him, it's not the issue now. The issue is that he's going to opt out of his contract, and become an unrestricted free agent. That means that we're asking teams to give up stuff for a player that's going to walk at the end of the year... Who's doing that, unless they think that they can win now? Like, not now, but right now? Is any team a Rudy Gay away from beating the Warriors, in 2017? A healthy Clippers team, maybe? And what the hell can they give us?
I'd love to have Mbah a Moute back. I'm still pissed that signing fell through.

Oklahoma City couldn't win a championship with Kevin Durant: you think that they're a Rudy Gay away from contending? You think that they're so all-in on trying to win now that they'd give up a lottery-pick PG for a five-month max rental of Rudy Gay? The Magic? Orlando might not even be a Rudy Gay away from the eighth seed.

"Visions of playoff grandeur" is literally our only hope to get anything for him.
Not saying that OKC would do it but there are at least some reasons why they could want to do it. The biggest is that because they extended Adams and Oladipo they have no cap space going forward. If they however traded for Gay they would get his bird rights meaning they can go over the cap to resign him. They also need more spacing and more wingscoring badly and by playing Gay at the 4 they could get both.

Hah! yep. I realized that after my post earlier in this thread. I tuned in when we were down 20 but managed to stick it out to the end and was pleasantly surprised!! Loved the defense down the stretch.

dude12

Hall of Famer

They literally had a deal in place before the Payne injury

It doesn't matter what I think OKC or Orlando can or can't win a championship with. OKC has Russell Westbrook, they are trying to build a team around him, and they want to convince him to stay long term. Their lottery pick plays the same position as their franchise player so will only have scraps of playing time when he gets back. Reportedly almost actually had a deal with the Kings for Payne and filler, but Payne's injury threw a wrench into that plan.

Orlando made a host of win-now moves, handed out some big contracts during the summer and traded for Serge Ibaka. They are clearly pushing for the playoffs and have young talent rotting on the bench. Its been reported they are dangling young talent for win-now pieces. Rudy Gay qualifies.

You know very well why this is being brought up. It's there for the naked eye to see, even if the Kings lose ball games without Rudy, the ball movement and defensive effort is glaring in terms of when he is on the court. It's only a small sample size so far, but I feel confident in saying that the "Rudy Gay effect" is real and it's that ball and chain attached to our ankle.
And, in my view, the "Cuz effect" which is quite similar to the "Gay effect" you describe should be mentioned. The ball moves better on offense when Cuz is on the bench. In either case it is not the end of the world. But in each case it would be better if the two joined in to make the ball move better all the time. We win when the ball moves. Despite the fact that it sounds crazy, it seems it is more important towards winning a game if the rest of the team has a good game than if Cuz has a good game. Things to think about.