The Positives

Kingster

Hall of Famer
I want so badly for that to be true.

But I can't take a single word that comes out of the red gremlin's mouth seriously.
I can. He's closer to the team than just about anybody. Also, he has know Vlade and Peja for many years. I think "scouts" is just a synonym for Vlade, Peja, or both. He's not going to quote them without their approval.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Skal has really grown onto me. The reason why I'd have him as the most likely franchise player is because of his potential. He's an athletic 6'11 PF with a 7'2 wingspan. Skal's not super fast, but he runs the floor with very well with his light feet. On top of that, he's a very explosive leaper with, or without space. He can play above the rim. He's got one of the best mid-range jumpers in the NBA. He releases at such a high apex that it becomes extremely hard to contest. Just off of those two skillsets, he becomes a very good pick player. You can run Skal in the PnR where he can finish above the rim. OR you can run him in the PnP where he can make the jumper. He's quicky developing as a 3pt shooter, although not comfortable yet. It should be a big part of his game 2-3 years from now.
As a post-up player, he still needs to get stronger, but he shows a lot of potential here with different moves.
  • Turn around jumper
  • Fade away shots
  • Hook shots
Where he really excels is facing up. He can out-right catch and shoot, but he's got the quickness to put the ball on the floor and attack. He often finishes with his jump stop hook. Other times, he pivots from post up to face up, vise versa. This is where he does his spin around fading jumpshot (often known as the dream shake). He's got great footwork. He's also comfortable with finishing with either hand around the rim. He's got really soft touch.
On defense, he's a giant work in progress, but he's got the length and quickness to be able to defend PFs and help out in the perimeter. He just needs the strength, discipline, and IQ now.

He's got the highest potential of anyone on this team. On offense, he's got an amazing wide-range of skillsets. However, his biggest problem is his mental and physical rawness(self explanatory). His basketball IQ is still a work in progress. The NBA is still too fast for him right now, so he often gets lost on both ends. If he's able to mentally put it together on the court and develop a scoring mentality, he'll become a franchise player. With all of this being said, I don't have any expectations or pressures on Skal to become a franchise player. I just think he would be our most likely candidate of all the guys on the roster. He's got a long road before becoming good NBA player.
Was at the Sun's game! The lineup that worked the best, and also had great chemistry together was Willie, Skal, Temple, Bog's, and Fox. Not only did that unit score fairly well, they played terrific defense. Bog's is the real deal. If you see him in person, he come across entirely different than on TV. His movement without the ball, setting back screens, driving into the lane and dishing is far superior to Buddy's game. If a couple of his shots hadn't fallen off the rim his shooting percentage would have been fine. He does a lot of things very well, and seemed to have great chemistry with Fox.

Skal is a star in the making. Need I remind people that Skal hasn't even played in 40 NBA games yet. To say he doesn't have a feel for the game is ridiculous. He has a great feel for the game. His problem, and other than lack of strength, his only problem is lack of aggression at times. He was more aggressive in the Sun's game, and the results show that. He's a very very good shooter who has great touch around the basket.

I don't think I have to say anything about Fox. He's going to be an all star. Enough said. Willie suffers from the same desease that Skal suffers from. Please Willie, stop passing up open shots. Your shooting a high percentage from midrange, so shoot the ball!!! Oh, and by the way, I expect at least 8 to 10 boards from you every night. I like the way Joerger is bring along Jackson. Starting him, but not really expecting much scoring from him. He's playing decent to at times good defense. So he's learning. A couple years of experience, and another 15 or so pounds of muscle, and he may be a solid player.

I would move Buddy to the bench and start Bog's. Bog's isn't going to shoot any worse than Buddy, and he brings a lot more game to the starting lineup. Might do Buddy good to sit and watch for a while.. Right now he's pressing and trying too hard. The more he misses, the more it gets into his head. He needs a break. I don't have an answer for Kosta. I think his days are numbered with the Kings, but until that day comes, maybe we can reduce his minutes a little. By the way, Josh Jackson is going to be a star. His 3pt shot is falling, and he seems to be everywhere on the court at times. Impressive young player.

I think a lot of people are making snap judgments based on just a few games early in the season. There are a lot of positives so far that we can take away.

De'Aaron Fox looks to be exactly who we thought he was.

Skal is progressing nicely and is already improving on defense.

Bogdan looks like he's going to be very solid, on both sides of the ball.

Mason has played well almost every time he's been on the court.

Most of all, the team gets better when we get the young guys out there.

The snap judgments about Hield need to be curbed. This guy is potentially one of the stars of our young core and to try and take his minutes away based on just a few games to start the season is ridiculous. This guy needs to develop and he's not going to develop sitting on the bench watching Hill and Temple play more minutes. I don't care how poorly he's been playing, he needs to be out there working through it. Benching one of your main guys for some pointless wins in a development year goes against the entire idea of rebuilding. The franchise rebuild isn't going to be built on the backs of Temple and Hill winning games. It's going to be built on guys like Temple and Hill helping guys like Hield and Fox get better so the rebuild can come to fruition.

I think a lot of people are making snap judgments based on just a few games early in the season. There are a lot of positives so far that we can take away.

De'Aaron Fox looks to be exactly who we thought he was.

Skal is progressing nicely and is already improving on defense.

Bogdan looks like he's going to be very solid, on both sides of the ball.

Mason has played well almost every time he's been on the court.

Most of all, the team gets better when we get the young guys out there.

The snap judgments about Hield need to be curbed. This guy is potentially one of the stars of our young core and to try and take his minutes away based on just a few games to start the season is ridiculous. This guy needs to develop and he's not going to develop sitting on the bench watching Hill and Temple play more minutes. I don't care how poorly he's been playing, he needs to be out there working through it. Benching one of your main guys for some pointless wins in a development year goes against the entire idea of rebuilding. The franchise rebuild isn't going to be built on the backs of Temple and Hill winning games. It's going to be built on guys like Temple and Hill helping guys like Hield and Fox get better so the rebuild can come to fruition.

You are probably right that it is too few games to jerk arpund the whole lineup. The writing is on the wall though so to apeak. Z Bo will be headed to the bench first but any other adjuatments probably wont come until around until at least 10 games.

I can. He's closer to the team than just about anybody. Also, he has know Vlade and Peja for many years. I think "scouts" is just a synonym for Vlade, Peja, or both. He's not going to quote them without their approval.
I agree. Grant rubs me the wrong way often on radio too, but i cant thjnk of him ever hyping a player that turned out the opposite of what he was saying. He has a good track record here.

dude12

Hall of Famer
I agree. Grant rubs me the wrong way often on radio too, but i cant thjnk of him ever hyping a player that turned out the opposite of what he was saying. He has a good track record here.
Nobody flip flops more than Grant Napear when it comes to the Kings....means he's right half the time.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Well I can't speak for Joerger, but when we signed Hill, I was under the impression he'd be the starter for a year at least. Hill is very good, and I don't think he came here to play off the bench.

You could always try sliding him to the 2. But that would create a big mess with Buddy and Bogs coming off the bench.
I'm not convinced that was/is the plan. I think Hill came here to contribute, whether as starter or off the bench if Fox earned the nod at the 1. I truly believe Hill will find gratification in either role AND as a mentor to DeFox.

I'm not convinced that was/is the plan. I think Hill came here to contribute, whether as starter or off the bench if Fox earned the nod at the 1. I truly believe Hill will find gratification in either role AND as a mentor to DeFox.
I hope this is the case and that Fox is not brought off the bench longer than his play seems to dictate would be wise.

Everything changes when he is on the floor, you can feel it, as well as see it. It's almost like a shot in the arm for the offensive, as well as the defensive play of everyone sharing the floor with Fox.

I love having Coach Joerger , and trust his plan for the long run. Hence I have been reluctant to jump on his rotations too early in our young rebuild, like starting Z-Bo for example, but I am sure the Hill/ Fox "dilemma" will be handled well in due time.

We have our best shot at a team wide return to relevancy unfolding before our eyes this season, and as difficult as it will be, I believe our patience for what we may not understand or agree with in the moment, will be rewarded in time. Finally.

A positive is Ben McLemore is not on the team
Never underestimate AIR MACS ability to somehow make it back
I think you're right. Hill is the ultimate professional!