The Official We're Talking Playoffs Thread

How Many Wins Do you Think It Will Take to Win #8?

• 45 or more

Votes: 7 9.2%

Votes: 2 2.6%

Votes: 7 9.2%

Votes: 12 15.8%

Votes: 15 19.7%

Votes: 15 19.7%

Votes: 5 6.6%

Votes: 8 10.5%

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • 36 or less

Votes: 4 5.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hopefully we can beat Detroit and get back on track.
You better start winning some of these home games with the eight game trip looming. The problem with saying "we've had the most road games of any team, the schedule will get easier" is losses like Miami. You just cant waste a home game to a team lottery team already missing two of their top 3 players. Can you really trust that this team can take advantage of an "easier" schedule? Not from what ive seen. Ive seen a ton of valiant efforts against top teams that end in losses and pee poor efforts against bad teams that end in losses. Not a good combo.

You better start winning some of these home games with the eight game trip looming. The problem with saying "we've had the most road games of any team, the schedule will get easier" is losses like Miami. You just cant waste a home game to a team lottery team already missing two of their top 3 players. Can you really trust that this team can take advantage of an "easier" schedule? Not from what ive seen. Ive seen a ton of valiant efforts against top teams that end in losses and pee poor efforts against bad teams that end in losses. Not a good combo.
So same ol same ol then?

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Story is the same. We are just barely doing what we have to do to just hang around, but overall we need to exceed that standard a little the rest of this month. We aren't going to have a winning record between here and Feb 1. We just have to find some way to avoid having a catastrophic one. Its not pretty or grand, and nothing about this team is. But that's the game. This thread is just about us hanging around in the picture until the schedule finally turns. Just hang in until Feb 1, and maybe jsut maybe get one on point trade done by Vlade, and make our run through the second half. The lost opportunities do accumulate though.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Story is the same. We are just barely doing what we have to do to just hang around, but overall we need to exceed that standard a little the rest of this month. We aren't going to have a winning record between here and Feb 1. We just have to find some way to avoid having a catastrophic one. Its not pretty or grand, and nothing about this team is. But that's the game. This thread is just about us hanging around in the picture until the schedule finally turns. Just hang in until Feb 1, and maybe jsut maybe get one on point trade done by Vlade, and make our run through the second half. The lost opportunities do accumulate though.
There will be plenty more of that to spread around, believe that.

This is a precarious thing in that I'm not quite sure yet what is in the best interest of the long term prospects of the team now that Cousins is secured long term, playoffs or top ten pick. If the franchise values the pick they may be more liberal in players resting and playing young guys etc

This is a precarious thing in that I'm not quite sure yet what is in the best interest of the long term prospects of the team now that Cousins is secured long term, playoffs or top ten pick. If the franchise values the pick they may be more liberal in players resting and playing young guys etc
As long as Cousins hasn't inked his new deal, he isn't secured. And he made it clear, that he wants to make the Playoffs this year. Not only will it be interesting what happens, when we don't reach the Playoffs, but we might be forced to pursue the Playoffs with full force no matter, what is better for the longterm strategy for this franchise. Cousins doesn't seem to think longterm right now and after all this losing I don't blame him for that.

As long as Cousins hasn't inked his new deal, he isn't secured. And he made it clear, that he wants to make the Playoffs this year. Not only will it be interesting what happens, when we don't reach the Playoffs, but we might be forced to pursue the Playoffs with full force no matter, what is better for the longterm strategy for this franchise. Cousins doesn't seem to think longterm right now and after all this losing I don't blame him for that.
It would seem that he committed his word to staying no? It would be a bad look for him to not go through with the signing?

It would seem that he committed his word to staying no? It would be a bad look for him to not go through with the signing?
Of course it would look Bad, but the Kings are regarded as the worst organisation in sports, so there will be enough understanding off Cousins decides not to give them the benefit of the doubt even after staying he wants to stay un SAC.

L

Lopes

It's business. I am sure he will evaluate at the end of the year and take the best offer for his family. It would be nice to see him return.

Kings have only this summer to improve, since 2018 off-season will start with that huge extension kicking in. Playoffs "with Cousins and a bunch of meh vets" will have much better effect on FA/disgruntled-looking-for-trade player than ''likely another blown lottery pick".

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
What the heck are some of you smoking? DMC has done everything possible to indicate he wants to stay and you're still trying to come up with a way to make him a liar?

Please note: We have a whole thread dedicated to the discussion Cousins and his extension. This one is more about the Kings' possible route to the playoffs this season.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
They will not be attractive FA destination for a while, but they will become more attractive than now.
I'm curious about this point. If the Kings lose 35 games and still make the playoffs will they still be a more attractive FA destination? What about 34? 33? 32? At what point does the 8th playoff slot become a statistical anomaly and have no meaning for potential FAs whatsoever?

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
I'm curious about this point. If the Kings lose 35 games and still make the playoffs will they still be a more attractive FA destination? What about 34? 33? 32? At what point does the 8th playoff slot become a statistical anomaly and have no meaning for potential FAs whatsoever?
Well, I'm pretty sure the 1997 Kings team that only won 34 games and yet still somehow got into the playoffs with Olden freaking Polynice as the second option certainly didn't hurt the team's reputation with guys like Vlade or Vernon Maxwell a couple years later.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Well, I'm pretty sure the 1997 Kings team that only won 34 games and yet still somehow got into the playoffs with Olden freaking Polynice as the second option certainly didn't hurt the team's reputation with guys like Vlade or Vernon Maxwell a couple years later.
You're not answering the question.

Yes, but those players of that level the Kings have always been able to sign. I'm talking about star talent. Posters have said the Kings just need 1 more star player, something the franchise has never been able to attract, and I think it's wishful thinking to assume a player wants to come to SAC because they are friends with Boogie, played with him on the USA team and the Kings made the playoffs because of dearth of good teams competing for the 8th seed.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
Yes, but those players of that level the Kings have always been able to sign. I'm talking about star talent. Posters have said the Kings just need 1 more star player, something the franchise has never been able to attract, and I think it's wishful thinking to assume a player wants to come to SAC because they are friends with Boogie, played with him on the USA team and the Kings made the playoffs because of dearth of good teams competing for the 8th seed.
Baby steps. You take what you can get. The last time this franchise won a championship was in the early 50's. I wouldn't hold my breath until we won another. That's to address someone else's comment.

I think it is unlikely this team in Sacramento will ever be a championship seeking team. There are many reasons including the cowbell reputation this city has. We missed our one chance since 1985 back a tad more than 10 years ago. We sucked worse before the so-called glory years. So if we add things up, we were awful the first 15 years and the last 10 years. We have a LEGACY in a way that the word is seldom used. We have a legacy of suckedness. If the mind set is that we should be critical of anyway we possibly could get better, that might be rational, but for me it takes the word "fan" out of the many words I use to describe myself.

I will try my best to enjoy the Kings and have done reasonably well except for one year. I was teetering this year until I noticed this team didn't seem to give up. I am a fan and no one will be able to shut out my optimism as desperate and sad as it might seem. I don't need a championship. We are closing in on the minimum that would make me happy. I have a lot of wishful thoughts but none of them fall comfortably in line with what I see as our LEGACY.

I might ask those of you who specialize in snark, sarcasm, snideness, etc. what the hell keeps you coming back for more. :)

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Baby steps. You take what you can get. The last time this franchise won a championship was in the early 50's. I wouldn't hold my breath until we won another. That's to address someone else's comment.

I think it is unlikely this team in Sacramento will ever be a championship seeking team. There are many reasons including the cowbell reputation this city has. We missed our one chance since 1985 back a tad more than 10 years ago. We sucked worse before the so-called glory years. So if we add things up, we were awful the first 15 years and the last 10 years. We have a LEGACY in a way that the word is seldom used. We have a legacy of suckedness. If the mind set is that we should be critical of anyway we possibly could get better, that might be rational, but for me it takes the word "fan" out of the many words I use to describe myself.

I will try my best to enjoy the Kings and have done reasonably well except for one year. I was teetering this year until I noticed this team didn't seem to give up. I am a fan and no one will be able to shut out my optimism as desperate and sad as it might seem. I don't need a championship. We are closing in on the minimum that would make me happy. I have a lot of wishful thoughts but none of them fall comfortably in line with what I see as our LEGACY.

I might ask those of you who specialize in snark, sarcasm, snideness, etc. what the hell keeps you coming back for more. :)
I feel that we have more posters on here that lean towards the insane scale than the sane scale, so that might explain it at times.

Personally as I fan, I want to see them contend for a championship. I see that as the ultimate goal. Just having a team that tries but will eventually toil in mediocrity isn't good enough for me. Just because ineptitude has been our legacy doesn't mean it should be our future. Fans should want the players and the FO to strive towards building a contender rather than accept our past futility.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Personally as I fan, I want to see them contend for a championship. I see that as the ultimate goal. Just having a team that tries but will eventually toil in mediocrity isn't good enough for me. Just because ineptitude has been our legacy doesn't mean it should be our future. Fans should want the players and the FO to strive towards building a contender rather than accept our past futility.
So if you lived in Chicago, would you have been a Cubs fan?

So if you lived in Chicago, would you have been a Cubs fan?
As long as tried to build a contender. I've never met a cubs fan let alone a sports fan who didn't believe winning a championship was the ultimate goal.

If I ever smelt the tinge of the FO attempting to purposely sell me a subpar product because losing is in our history, I would lose all trust in that organization.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
As long as tried to build a contender. I've never met a cubs fan let alone a sports fan who didn't believe winning a championship was the ultimate goal.

If I ever smelt the tinge of the FO attempting to purposely sell me a subpar product because losing is in our history, I would lose all trust in that organization.
The Maloofs at the end of their reign clearly had run out of money and were far more interested in saving money than building a contender. They were satisfied with presenting a subpar product. Otherwise I have no doubts at all about our owners. They were and are trying to win as many games as possible with a championship being the ultimate goal. For a variety of reasons, they did not achieve that ultimate goal. I would not be a loyal fan of a franchise that was not trying to win unless they were tanking for a strategic reason.

It is difficult to do any kind of measuring about the influence these stats have on free agents, so when statistical anomaly is involved in question, it is impossible to answer.

From my perspective, folks (not just players, but fans/media) are not paying too much attention to details.
Comparing two simplified statements: "Kings made playoffs" and "Kings have 40 wins, no playoff", you know which one I think is more impactful... no matter how it is done.

L

Lopes

As crappy as the team is it's sadly one of the few things anyone outside of sac knows about the city. Even if we are a laughing stock. So for the city...

Status
Not open for further replies.