The Official We're Talking Playoffs Thread

How Many Wins Do you Think It Will Take to Win #8?

• 45 or more

Votes: 7 9.2%

Votes: 2 2.6%

Votes: 7 9.2%

Votes: 12 15.8%

Votes: 15 19.7%

Votes: 15 19.7%

Votes: 5 6.6%

Votes: 8 10.5%

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • 36 or less

Votes: 4 5.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat

It had to be done.

Because the month of January is the league's last, best chance to knock our playoff run askew, I originally had planned on holding off until the start of that wonderfully soft schedule patch beginning on Feb. 1 that I detailed in this thread: http://kingsfans.com/threads/the-turning-of-the-schedule-why-we-need-to-just-hang-on.66887/

But as I was canvassing the various sites and their Power Rankings (which I am sure that our Power Rankings Guru will soon collect for his weekly thread), it was clear that the secret was out, and everybody else was talking about us as the potential #8 seed. Seemed silly at that point for we who watch the team not to officially start doing the same.

The Standings as of Dec. 26th, before the 76ers game:

Notes:
1) we have played the fewest home games in the Western Conference (and are tied with Boston for fewest in the NBA), and yet currently sit in the 8th spot anyway
2) we are coming off of a streak playing 12 of 15 games on the road(!)
3) tonight we embark on a streak playing 9 of 11 games at home, but a number of them are against great teams in early Jan.
4) you may note that 30 games into the season the 8 teams currently holding down the 8 playoff spots just so happen to be the 8 teams in the Conference with the best Point Differential, as, ahem, predicted in this point differential thread: http://kingsfans.com/threads/the-predictive-power-of-point-differential-kings-0-8.66868/ the 8 teams
5) its also worth noting that all 8 of the current playoff teams have +.500 records in their last 10, and none of the current lottery teams do (although Denver, who also BTW has the most threatening +/-, are .500 in their last 10). Hence in the last 10 games we've put distance between us and every bad team, but haven't made up any ground on teams above us.
6) and if you truly want to get ambitious, you might note that the next three teams above us in the standings have all been feasting at home to get those shiny records, while we've been battling on the road for ours:
MEM 19h 13a
OKC 18h 13a
UTH 17h 13a
SAC 12h 18a

Last edited:

It had to be done.

Because the month of January is the league's last, best chance to knock our playoff run askew, I originally had planned on holding off until the start of that wonderfully soft schedule patch beginning on Feb. 1 that I detailed in this thread: http://kingsfans.com/threads/the-turning-of-the-schedule-why-we-need-to-just-hang-on.66887/

But as I was canvassing the various sites and their Power Rankings (which I am sure that our Power Rankings Guru will soon collect for his weekly thread), it was clear that the secret was out, and everybody else was talking about us as the potential #8 seed. Seemed silly at that point for we who watch the team not to officially start doing the same.

The Standings as of Dec. 26th, before the 76ers game:

Notes:
1) we have played the fewest home games in the Western Conference (and are tied with Boston for fewest in the NBA), and yet currently sit in the 8th spot anyway
2) we are coming off of a streak playing 12 of 15 games on the road(!)
3) tonight we embark on a streak playing 9 of 11 games at home, but a number of them are against great teams in early Jan.
4) you may note that 30 games into the season the 8 teams currently holding down the 8 playoff spots just so happen to be the 8 teams in the Conference with the best Point Differential, as, ahem, predicted in this point differential thread: http://kingsfans.com/threads/the-predictive-power-of-point-differential-kings-0-8.66868/ the 8 teams
The Audacity of HOPE!!! :D

I dont want to think ahead but the last two years there have been distractions to de-rail the team when they looked ready to make a run at 8. Two years ago it was viral meningitis and Malone firing that sent the team into a deathspin. Last year it was the toxic Cousins/Karl dynamic where the team essentially quit on the coach and ended any chance of a playoff run. This is the first time where we are heading into the new year with no off court distractions. Demarcus seems to be in a good place, Joerger is going nowhere and he has the team bought in. Only forseeable issue is the Rudy dynamic. Do we seek a trade ASAP? Does he come back and buy in to the more team game we have been seeing?

Larry89

Disgruntled Kings Fan
I dont want to think ahead but the last two years there have been distractions to de-rail the team when they looked ready to make a run at 8. Two years ago it was viral meningitis and Malone firing that sent the team into a deathspin. Last year it was the toxic Cousins/Karl dynamic where the team essentially quit on the coach and ended any chance of a playoff run. This is the first time where we are heading into the new year with no off court distractions. Demarcus seems to be in a good place, Joerger is going nowhere and he has the team bought in. Only forseeable issue is the Rudy dynamic. Do we seek a trade ASAP? Does he come back and buy in to the more team game we have been seeing?

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
here we go again with this playoff talk. All it took was a three game win streak...I suppose we want to continue to keep doing this to ourselves. By all means, go right ahead, who am I to say otherwise. I'll keep this thread saved in case January knocks the team off that cloud their on.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
here we go again with this playoff talk. All it took was a three game win streak...I suppose we want to continue to keep doing this to ourselves. By all means, go right ahead, who am I to say otherwise. I'll keep this thread saved in case January knocks the team off that cloud their on.
I don't think us talking about the playoffs has any impact on how the team performs...

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
so, ugly or not: 14-17

Portland lost to continue wallowing in misery. 6 in a row now, and still only 1 win in their last 10. Had no Lillard tonight. Would love to extend their pain in a few days.

But the Nuggets won, even if it was only beating the Griffin + Paul less Clippers. And its old friend Mike Malone mounting the real challenge right now. Still only 1 game back, 5-5 in their last 10 and hanging around.

Traditionally like the 10 games for the NFL, several games above .500 for the NBA is the safe range for making the playoffs - There's your explanation....its not even halfway into the season..remember the Hornets game last year? That was the break point for that similar team @ something like 20-23 if I remember. Maybe this year's team scraps it together, but its way too early.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member

Portland lost to continue wallowing in misery. 6 in a row now, and still only 1 win in their last 10. Had no Lillard tonight. Would love to extend their pain in a few days.

But the Nuggets won, even if it was only beating the Griffin + Paul less Clippers. And its old friend Mike Malone mounting the real challenge right now. Still only 1 game back, 5-5 in their last 10 and hanging around.
The cynic in me completely expects Lillard to be available on Wednesday night, and for not only Paul to be back by the 6th, but I halfway expect for Griffin to come back early from injury.

Of course, if Lillard isn't back, McCollum will eat McLemore alive.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME

And, as an aside, we're 6-4 for the last 10 games. :)

....its not even halfway into the season..remember the Hornets game last year? That was the break point for that similar team @ something like 20-23 if I remember. Maybe this year's team scraps it together, but its way too early.
More than a third of the way into the season, the kings are a game ahead in the 8th spot, they have won 4 in a row, fans are excited about how they are playing, it's a fan board. Yeah, not too early for this thread.

For goodness sakes, we're fans if we can't be excited when our team is doing well, why be fans? Do we have to wait until 3/4 or 7/8 of the way through the season to get excited and start a thread?

More than a third of the way into the season, the kings are a game ahead in the 8th spot, they have won 4 in a row, fans are excited about how they are playing, it's a fan board. Yeah, not too early for this thread.

For goodness sakes, we're fans if we can't be excited when our team is doing well, why be fans?
As a fan, being excited is one thing, and talking playoffs prematurely is another. Its good that they've won 4 in a row, but my point is last year's team won 5 in a row and promptly nose-dived. So from this example, from the same organization no less, yes its too early. Win streaks are certainly needed to make the playoffs, but tempered, rational thought ought to be the order, especially with this team which is getting its first taste of winning with hard work, and it could be argued, is not as talented as the majority of other teams in the league. Do you think the Kings personnel are actually talking about playoffs right now? No, they're talking about their next opponent (singular); so ought we to be realistic...........yes, the poppies smell nice, but they're not real.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
As a fan, being excited is one thing, and talking playoffs prematurely is another. Its good that they've won 4 in a row, but my point is last year's team won 5 in a row and promptly nose-dived. So from this example, from the same organization no less, yes its too early. Win streaks are certainly needed to make the playoffs, but tempered, rational thought ought to be the order, especially with this team which is getting its first taste of winning with hard work, and it could be argued, is not as talented as the majority of other teams in the league. Do you think the Kings personnel are actually talking about playoffs right now? No, they're talking about their next opponent (singular); so ought we to be realistic...........yes, the poppies smell nice, but they're not real.
If you think it's too early, fine. JUST AVOID THE THREAD.

As a fan, being excited is one thing, and talking playoffs prematurely is another... tempered, rational thought ought to be the order, especially with this team which is getting its first taste of winning with hard work, and it could be argued, is not as talented as the majority of other teams in the league. .
Uhmm, we are fans, short for fanatics.

Yes, I'd like the players not to get ahead of themselves. I would like the coaching staff to be tempered, but fans? They should go batcrap crazy anytime they are excited.

Status
Not open for further replies.