The Official Draft Day thread

The big qualifier is "years". The new question now for threads is what are your reasonable expectations? Another 35 winner? Better?
I want the organization to unchain the roster, and dig for minutes for all these younger guys.
I would be surprised if they won even 25 games. I would put the number closer to 20. You don't win with young guys in the league.

That's not necessarily a bad thing for us. As others have already mentioned, next year is all about development, and the kids need to play. Just don't have unreal (according to me at least) expectations.

Our roster looks alright.

Fox/Mason
Hield/Bogdanovic
Jackson/Richardson
WCS/Skal/Giles
Koufos/Papagiannis
Center is somewhat weak, but its also the most difficult position to fill well. Koufos will again be blue collar and the old-man of the team. Giles looked alright on defense - he'll get his chances I think. Hield and Jackson ought to turn it loose on shooting.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
I was upset. But I had been through it before. The Webber trade hurt. The cousins trade stung. Now we are just starting over. I will grow with them.
As angry as I was at the time, I might feel better today about this organization's future than I did since either the day Seattle got rejected or Cousins's second season when they put the stupid building wrap up.

The bigger question now is will Lawson or Collison return? I'm sort of doubting it - or maybe one of them at most.
Was just thinking about that. Definitely not both. But I wonder which one Vlade would favor. Gut says Collison. But Lawson would be cheaper. I think Vlade will make that decision on who could be the better leader.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
I would be surprised if they won even 25 games. I would put the number closer to 20. You don't win with young guys in the league.

That's not necessarily a bad thing for us. As others have already mentioned, next year is all about development, and the kids need to play. Just don't have unreal (according to me at least) expectations.
Lose a bunch of games this season. Win the 2018 lotto. Pick Luka. Make the playoffs in 2019. Give the Sixers a crap pick.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
Lose a bunch of games this season. Win the 2018 lotto. Pick Luka. Make the playoffs in 2019. Give the Sixers a poopoo pick.
Grab a SF with 2-3 years remaining on a deal, preferably packaged in a cap saving deal with a 2019 pick or make a 2 year signing and do nothing else.

Could also roll the dice with LMA but he's a two time loser in my book after what he did to Portland and now wants out of the most stable franchise in the league that also happens to be his hometown.

...And they still have $65 mill for FA. It's going to be interesting what they do what that dough.
A few years ago, that would be a handsome amount, but now (outrageously) its just average for the league. Afflalo geting 12.5$M is a "strikeout". I would be careful on the cap-space, which they seem to be with all the drafting. I don't know how deep the owners pockets all are in the league, but its leveraged anyway.

Center is somewhat weak, but its also the most difficult position to fill well. Koufos will again be blue collar and the old-man of the team. Giles looked alright on defense - he'll get his chances I think. Hield and Jackson ought to turn it loose on shooting.
I don't expect Giles to be doing much in his rookie year. I hope we'll take the cautious route and just redshirt him... he doesn't have any injuries right now, but his knees are glass. Even if he's healthy, idk how good he is. He didn't impress me during his time in Duke.

I don't expect Giles to be doing much in his rookie year. I hope we'll take the cautious route and just redshirt him... he doesn't have any injuries right now, but his knees are glass. Even if he's healthy, idk how good he is. He didn't impress me during his time in Duke.
It seems so, I don't much mind...his mobility (obviously) looked affected. You don't have those types of injuries and not have them in the back-of-your mind unfortunately.

While proof will be in a few years time, I think the Kings did a great job with the draft. 10 was somewhat an awkward pick. I suspect they might have though about moving up to get a SF but as soon as Magic picked Isaac, that went out the window.

With no real "nice fit" there they did the smart thing in trading down for pick 15 and 20. I don't mind the Jackson pick. He might not be a high upside type of player but he is a good role player type and if you look at Joerger's teams in the past, they never really had a star type SF. That is mostly a role playing 3 and D types. I think Jackson is a solid pick with low bust potential but also low star potential.

Giles is an interesting one. I wouldn't have done it but I can understand the thinking behind it. If the Kings are comfortable with his medical then he could be worth the gamble. I suspect we will take it slowly with this guy and I wouldn't be surprised if he spent majority, if not all of his rookie year in the development league.

Mason was the obvious pick at 34 and it was a given Kings were going to take him there. I think he can play straight away and be a really solid PG for us. What this means is that we have seen the last of Collison and Lawson. In fact I am not sure if we will even have a veteran PG on the roster. We might rely on Temple to be that veteran for these young guys and spend some time at 1, 2 and 3.

As for Fox, I think I have said enough. Very happy with the draft. I think Kings will do a lot of running next season starting with summer league which will be fun.

It's amazing the amount of love Kings are getting on reddit draft threads right now. With the occasional salty Laker fan posing the "ELI5 everyone thinks the Kings did well" lol
Been seeing that there too. It's always a Lakers flair. Has to be compensating the severe salt from them trading their 21 year old, second pick with immense talent entering his 3rd year for a 29 year old center (who is pretty good but does absolutely nothing for a team in full rebuild) just to shed one of the worst contracts ever, by finding all the negatives in all of "inept" Vlade's picks.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
Been seeing that there too. It's always a Lakers flair. Has to be compensating the severe salt from them trading their 21 year old, second pick with immense talent entering his 3rd year for a 29 year old center (who is pretty good but does absolutely nothing for a team in full rebuild) just to shed one of the worst contracts ever, by finding all the negatives in all of "inept" Vlade's picks.
Plus with Ball to the Lakers I can actively root for his dad to become a world class headache to his son's franchise.