The "Lets keep Boogie" thread

This whole "Lets run Boogie out of town" vendetta reminds me of a trade the 49ers made back in the day. The great pass rusher Charles Haley was upset that the 49ers had brought in Tim McDonald who played his same position. So Haley urinated on the Defensive Coordinators car. Haley was promptly traded to the Dallas Cowboys where he was again All Pro and won DPOY.

So the moral of the story is just because a guy pisses on your car does not mean he is not a great player. Get it boys?

I am happy t leave the question of whether Cuz stays or goes to Vlade and his advisors. It is a decision they have to make soon if it has not been made yet. It is a very big issue for the Kings'future.

This whole "Lets run Boogie out of town" vendetta reminds me of a trade the 49ers made back in the day. The great pass rusher Charles Haley was upset that the 49ers had brought in Tim McDonald who played his same position. So Haley urinated on the Defensive Coordinators car. Haley was promptly traded to the Dallas Cowboys where he was again All Pro and won DPOY.

So the moral of the story is just because a guy pisses on your car does not mean he is not a great player. Get it boys?
Demarcus sucks. Now we can close this thread right. This board is obviously biased and not afraid to show it.

Thankfully there seems to only be a very vocal 4 or 5 posters here who have no idea what they're talking about when it comes to Boogie. People need to make better use of the ignore function.

Diverse discussion is good. Stupid discussion, however, shouldn't even be acknowledged.
To not even consider exploring your options with Cousins would be stupid. He has done nothing to make himself untouchable, and a new arena, new coach, new core of players may be what this franchise needs to wipe the slate of the last ten years clean. I would be fine if Cousins comes back but people voting him into the hall of fame already are delusional. We have had him for six full seasons and have been mediocre throughout. He is a fantastic talent who plays with a negative cloud around him practically at all times, and the effect it has on teammates is a serious question. He has mental breakdowns at the first signs of adversity and his effort can come into question, especially when things aren't going his way. He is not a good leader and doesn't inspire his teammates, something #1 franchise guys should have in spades.

No actually, there is one big outlet for all the "Boogie sucks and we need to trade him" crowd.

3-7 pm on KHTK. The TV voice of the kings is the ring leader.
To just blindly turn your eyes to any criticism of Demarcus is worse than morons who criticize for stupid reasons. There are serious issues with the player that need to/should be discussed objectively. Sadly on this board any hint of criticism towards Cousins gets you a public lynching or burning at the stake. The man can do no wrong on Kingsfans.com

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME

Was this really worth another thread that has already seen the most prominent anti-Cousins contingency regurgitate the same banalities over and over again?

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Thankfully there seems to only be a very vocal 4 or 5 posters here who have no idea what they're talking about when it comes to Boogie. People need to make better use of the ignore function.

Diverse discussion is good. Stupid discussion, however, shouldn't even be acknowledged.
We are not the only board, nor the only fan outlet.

STR has become an absolute Cuz is the devil cesspool. I only have people's reports on what Grant and his little inflamed mob of dittoheads is up to, but it doesn't sound good either.

Vlade's presence is absolutely critical,

We are not the only board, nor the only fan outlet.

STR has become an absolute Cuz is the devil cesspool. I only have people's reports on what Grant and his little inflamed mob of dittoheads is up to, but it doesn't sound good either.

Vlade's presence is absolutely critical,
I never go on STR so it's no surprise I'm oblivious to that. I remember visiting it a long time ago (pre-Boogie) and vowed to never go back, filled with complete nonsense.

Was this really worth another thread that has already seen the most prominent anti-Cousins contingency regurgitate the same banalities over and over again?
I think the comparison to Charles Haley is an important one. Haley was dominant. I have never seen such a ferocious pass rusher. He was enshrined in the Pro Football Hall Of Fame this past summer. Here is a link to his Wiki page--> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Haley

I'm not saying DeMarcus is like Haley. It is just the fact Haley was a great player and was traded and was still a great player. IMO when you are trying to build a winning sports team you need to build around great players, not trade them away.

All the Boogie naysayers seem to want to ignore that Malone did connect with him.

We all have our own opinions. No one has a stupid one...especially regarding Cousins. There's fair assessments from both sides. I'm on the fence because I think this team needs a minor rebuild. I don't know if Cousins would be happy about that though.

I hated his offensive game this year because he played too much out in the perimeter. He was always looking to score and force the issue. He needs to go back being a post-player like his first few years in the league.

I think it's going to be hard to build around a high-usage dominant big like Cousins. How many teams today are built around bigs who are as inefficient as Cousins? Not too many. Rookie KAT is at 54% FG. Cousins this year is at 45.1% FG. That's so horrible for a big man. Even Jahlil Okafor is at 50.8% FG...

It's a guards' league now. Can we build around bigs still? Yes. Can we build around inefficient, high usage, and ball dominant bigs? I don't think so. I personally think Cousins needs to start working with Hakeem and Shaq. For such a talented big, his touch around the rim is poor.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
To just blindly turn your eyes to any criticism of Demarcus is worse than morons who criticize for stupid reasons. There are serious issues with the player that need to/should be discussed objectively. Sadly on this board any hint of criticism towards Cousins gets you a public lynching or burning at the stake. The man can do no wrong on Kingsfans.com
There are intelligent discussions to be had about Cousins' role in the team's continued dysfunction but those discussions won't take place here or in any Sacramento area sports bar for at least 10 years. It's just the nature of the game. I don't think kingsfans.com is the bastion of mono-speak that you imply it is though. Sometimes I'm in the majority opinion but I find myself fighting against the current on other issues. If you don't like having your opinions challenged than this board isn't very forgiving, but if you look past the surface level sniping there are longtime members here who express reservations with Cousins while admitting that his talent earns him extra leeway. There are others who think he's a great player but the stress of having to carry a moribund franchise is holding him back and we're better off getting what we can for him now before he realizes that and leaves on his own. There are certainly more complex opinions held here than just "Cousins good" and "Cousins bad" but the trouble is any attempt to discuss them gets swallowed up immediately by innane keyboard jockeys who never miss an opportunity to spoil a reasonable discussion with pointless finger pointing, name calling, and the simplest form of me vs. you reductivism. In that regard, this community is a true meritocracy. If you want your opinion to be respected, earn it.

PS - Can you let me know the next time kingsfans.com schedules a public lynching? I missed the last one and I want to make sure I get a front row seat in case it's someone I really don't like. :)

K

KingMilz

We all have our own opinions. No one has a stupid one...especially regarding Cousins. There's fair assessments from both sides. I'm on the fence because I think this team needs a minor rebuild. I don't know if Cousins would be happy about that though.

I hated his offensive game this year because he played too much out in the perimeter. He was always looking to score and force the issue. He needs to go back being a post-player like his first few years in the league.

I think it's going to be hard to build around a high-usage dominant big like Cousins. How many teams today are built around bigs who are as inefficient as Cousins? Not too many. Rookie KAT is at 54% FG. Cousins this year is at 45.1% FG. That's so horrible for a big man. Even Jahlil Okafor is at 50.8% FG...

It's a guards' league now. Can we build around bigs still? Yes. Can we build around inefficient, high usage, and ball dominant bigs? I don't think so. I personally think Cousins needs to start working with Hakeem and Shaq. For such a talented big, his touch around the rim is poor.
Exactly I don't get why people keep calling others names when some of the concerns are legit and we could potentially get better (or worse) trading Cousins. It's not like the Cousins haters are arguing he's not talented at that point yeah you could call someone names but it's a legit argument both ways.

The other day I thought about Cousins in the same way that Shaq used to just physically overwhelm people. It is unusual to see that bunch of skills. It also means that Cousins plays with a lot of contact, and he is a complainer so the ref's ignore some fouls that could be called in his favor. One of the crucial skills he needs to learn is, that if he wants to play that style of ball, he is going to get beat up some. Shaq didn't seem to complain much, but maybe being bigger helped him.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
I'm always intrigued by the notion of how each side on these issues always seems to think that the other side is the only one doing the "name calling," and how their side is the only one that's arguing "rationally."
I didn't say that. It absolutely happens on both sides and the result is that the actual discussion gets derailed and stays derailed and instead we play games with each other which lead nowhere. Nobody benefits and we all feel dumber for having witnessed it. I've lost track of the number of times I've tried to start a discussion and immediately wished that I hadn't.

Keep him. Get him in the post. Draw fouls and kick out.
We could bring in the best shooters and the perfect coach... None of it will matter as long as Cousins decides to continue to be public enemy #1.

His death stares and constantly arguing are the only reason he gets half the calls. How does he not understand that yet? There is nothing wrong with playing with a chip on your shoulder, I actually prefer it, but constantly harassing the refs night in and night out is the reason so many people have turned on him. He has to cut out the cry baby **** already.

This isn't really a supported statement but I doubt Cousins would do that. Just seems too proud to ever learn from others, especially if they ever say anything critical about him. He wants to be his own type of player. "Student of the game" is definitely not how you'd describe him. Immensely talented on his own though. I expect another offseason of him just generally staying in shape without really working on any skills in particular. Would love to be wrong.

Then again, there was this: http://www.cbssports.com/nba/eye-on...ousins-still-hasnt-heard-from-shaquille-oneal
so I could be very wrong. I just thought that if a player was going to be working out with famous bigs you'd have heard of it by their 6th season.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
I didn't say that...
I didn't accuse anybody of saying exactly that. If someone had, I wouldn't need to use equivocating language, like "seems" and "appears."

It does indeed seem (there's that word, again) to me, though, that each side is claiming that they are the ones being "rational," and that the other side is only responding to their "logic" with "personal attacks." I find that this is because many people appear to believe that any position which contradicts theirs is a personal attack. That does make it difficult to reach common ground on most subjects.

The other day I thought about Cousins in the same way that Shaq used to just physically overwhelm people. It is unusual to see that bunch of skills. It also means that Cousins plays with a lot of contact, and he is a complainer so the ref's ignore some fouls that could be called in his favor. One of the crucial skills he needs to learn is, that if he wants to play that style of ball, he is going to get beat up some. Shaq didn't seem to complain much, but maybe being bigger helped him.
For the umpteenth time, Demarcus (and ANY big nowadays) is not comparable to Shaq because he :
a) played in a different era, which favored big men and didn;t have zone defenses or denial of entry passes.
b) Shaq got to absolutely murder people in the block, pounding away at them with moves that would instantly be called offensive fouls nowadays - he wouldn;t last one quarter in today;s game and would have to learn how to play from the outside. Could you imagine the amount of flopping that he would have to deal with nowadays? Vlade was seriously the only guy in the NBA who was smart enough not to try to play the straight-up game against Shaq, since he was the strongest and the biggest he was eventually going to win the pushing/banging game that dominated the NBA down low in the 90's and early 2000's.
We could bring in the best shooters and the perfect coach... None of it will matter as long as Cousins decides to continue to be public enemy #1.

His death stares and constantly arguing are the only reason he gets half the calls. How does he not understand that yet? There is nothing wrong with playing with a chip on your shoulder, I actually prefer it, but constantly harassing the refs night in and night out is the reason so many people have turned on him. He has to cut out the cry baby **** already.
There';s a good point here, and to be honest-
Demarcus HAS to start limiting his outbursts significantly.
The most egregious examples are when he gets the foul called in his favor, don't bark at the ref!
It boggles my mind why Demarcus does that - I mean, seriously - it doesn't take much knowledge of human psychology to conclude that the ref would simply think, "Well, butthead, if you're going to yell at me after I call a foul in your favor, you'll be damned sure I'm going to think twice about doing so next time..."