The Legacy of Demarcus Cousins as a King ?

Ok so this is a wash. a wrap, whatever you want to call it.

Question now is, where does Boogie fit in, when assessing his tenure as a Sacramento King - where does he rank in terms of all time Kings ?

Above Webber and Richmond ? How much do the losing seasons and inability to lead us to the playoffs effect how we will see him in years to come when we reflect back on his time with us ?

Open ended questions, am not adding my view (whilst im sure this will be clear to some). I want to know what my fellow kingsfans think.

I know its early for some, but hey its fresh and evaluations, thoughts, etc currently arent sullied by what DMC achieves elsewhere.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Below Webber, who had the only glory years of Sacramento to him and his team's name, and above Richmond (and that may be just because Richmond was in my younger years as a fan so I don't have the memories of him)

Always going to be a huge "What if" attached to him... especially if he wins at a future stop.

Obviously very polarizing, he is one of my favorites to ever put the Sacramento uniform on, and I'll follow him and root for him every stop along the rest of his career. To me his play, his love for the team, the city, and his charity work/good deeds far exceed whatever negatives that came with him.

Last edited:
Below Webber and Richmond, winning matters. Most talented player to ever wear SAC jersey though. Just that for as much as his talent moves the needle one way, the attitude, pouting, complaining, body language, etc. moves the needle right back.

Cousins failure to get to the postseason comes down to a couple reasons in my opinion.

Our over reliance on him to carry the team. We have more shooters and IQ guys on this team than ever before, yet we ran the simplest of offensive sets with him. It made it way too easy to cover him. The fact that he was still successful in it was just a testament to his skills. If he's shooting 45% from the field, you're using him wrong. It wasn't until recently that he started passing the ball more, that they actually started to win some games. The problem is that him being our assist leader is an incredibly inefficient way to run the offense. Our PG's basically get the same amount of assists as him per game, but with half the turnovers. Let your point guards do most of the assisting and let them actually get him easier looks. Assists stay the same, turnovers go down and his shooting percentages go up. Let him make natural passes within the offense instead of basically telling the opposing team what we're running every play. That would net us a couple possessions a game where we would get shots up instead of turning the ball over.

Not getting back on defense. Joerger said exactly what we've been thinking, that Cousins wastes 6 or 7 possessions a game. It didn't always involve arguing with the refs. Sometimes he would just miss a layup and then kind of hang his head and pause there for a couple seconds before jogging back on defense. We've had so many close games this year. Who knows how many more we would have won if we could have gotten those defensive possessions back. Malone would ride his ass for it and he did it a lot less. Joerger was more relaxed, just like every previous coach was. Malone would call an immediate timeout after a single bad defensive possession. Cousins needs a coach that is going to force him to either get back down the court or ride the bench if he cannot do that. I'm just guessing here but if the opposing team gets to play 5 on 4 for about 6 possessions a game and they shoot about 50% on those possessions, that means they're probably going to score about 6-7 points a game due to him not getting back on defense.

Take those 6-7 points and add it to the 2-3 points we lose by using him as our main ball distributor and that's 8-10 points per game that the Kings are spotting their opponents every game. I know it's not that cut and dry but it's obvious that the Kings were spotting their opponents a handful of points a game. I think the front office and coaching both failed him and never really properly used him other than when Malone was here. Even with our current roster, I think we could have been up there around the same record as the Thunder if he was just properly coached.

Well, you're talking legacy, and I presume you're referring to Demarcus' public legacy, so you have to understand that it's not us that will define that -

it's Grant Napear that does.

Regardless of what happens in Boogie's career in NO or elsewhere, there is no way that Grant will allow Demarcus to be deemed a victim or that the FO failed him, or a sympathetic figure. That would undermine Grant's position with the organization, and noone has a louder or more incessant voice than him re: the Kings.

So until Demarcus gets to the Finals or wins a championship, or Napear retires, Boogie's legacy in Kingsland will be as a failure, caused primarily by his weaknesses (According To Grant).

Glenn

Hall of Famer
Why do people listen to Grant? I have never listened to him and can't imagine him having a big impact on the Kings fans. How many people listen and agree with his Boogie feelings? It can't be many.

Why do people listen to Grant? I have never listened to him and can't imagine him having a big impact on the Kings fans. How many people listen and agree with his Boogie feelings? It can't be many.
There are a lot of fans out there who don't invest much time learning about the team or the NBA in general. They get most of their information from either listening to Grant or reading the Bee (or both).

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Not much of a legacy here as far as winning. Lots of impressive individual stats however. In the end, I see his jersey being retired in the rafters despite everything.