The Last Summer Scoop from nba.com/kings/

Summer tidbits on the Sacramento Kings
The Summer Scoop-September 29
by Devin Blankenship

It’s actually with great pleasure that I write this last Summer Scoop for 2004. Not because I hate doing it or because I’m quitting (you’re not that lucky), but because basketball season is now here and we can ACTUALLY TALK ABOUT THE ACTION ON THE COURT. Hallelujah!

Here are some of the pre-training camp happenings:

<LI>Most of the players are in town right now, participating in their own pickup games at the Practice Facility. Brad Miller, Bobby Jackson, Darius Songaila, Ricky Minard, Mike Bibby, Greg Ostertag, and Matt Barnes all hit the court on Tuesday in a spirited set of games, while Chris Webber worked with his shooting coach, Buzz Braman. Liu Wei, a member of the Chinese national team who has been invited to training camp, also shot around.

<LI>Basketball season may be around the corner, but baseball is the dominant topic of conversation right now between players and front office personnel alike. You have Cubs fans in Brad Miller and Vice President of Media Relations, Troy Hanson, a handful of A’s fans—including Director of Scouting, Scotty Stirling, and a small group of Giants fans (which includes yours truly) that are constantly debating the merits of their teams.

Miller even went so far as to do a little advance scouting this last weekend at SBC Park, checking out the Giants/Dodgers game—two teams Chicago is fighting for a playoff spot.

<LI>Another hot topic right now is fantasy football. The Practice Facility has its own league going, with nine teams trying to dethrone video coordinator Mike Petrie, fresh off last year’s championship.

Trainer Pete Youngman, perhaps the biggest Kansas City Chiefs fan on the face of the earth, shocked the rest of the league again on draft day by selecting all Chiefs for the second straight year, with the exception of first overall pick Priest Holmes. Believe it or not, but Youngman did not finish in last place last season—not sure if he’s going to be able to pull that miracle again this year.

As a side note, none of the participants in this league are allowed to ask the “godfather” for any advice—the “godfather”, a.k.a. Scotty Stirling, is actually one of the three original inventors of fantasy football back in the 60’s in the Bay area. Bet you didn’t know that little Kings’ factoid—click here to read about it.

<LI>Look for the Kings to announce a free-agent signing in the next few days. The player is a recognizable NBA face who should make the roster and has been working out the last few days at the facility. I’ll give you a hint: think teal.

WalMatt23 said:
Summer tidbits on the Sacramento Kings
The Summer Scoop-September 29
by Devin Blankenship

<LI>Look for the Kings to announce a free-agent signing in the next few days. The player is a recognizable NBA face who should make the roster and has been working out the last few days at the facility. I’ll give you a hint: think teal.
Teal? Ok I can think teal, but its a crazy name...no way in heck name.

Edit # 2--Ok. I got nothing....

Last edited:
WalMatt23 said:
lol, i was just trying to think of who wears teal...

New Orleans wears teal..
So do the Grizz. But then the "should make the roster" comment side tracked me...very :confused:

I think its the local kid (what's Del Campo school colors?), but he's not a "recognizable NBA face"

Last edited:
that would be crazy if they were referring to memphis- ESPN in an insider article from 9/27 lists only Stromile Swift as a free agent from Memphis. We can't afford him though- can we?

Hornets' free agents:

Courtney Alexander
Stacey Augmon
Steve Smith
Robert Traylor
Shammond Williams

Memphis:

Stromile Swift (think he was retained)
Jake Tsakalidis

Just an old list, I'm not sure who all has been signed already.

Why do I have a bad feeling it'll be Steve Smith or Big Jake? :)

Team's who color could be "teal":

CHARLOTTE BOBCATS (6) - F Lonny Baxter, G J.R. Bremer, G Maurice Carter, F Desmond Ferguson, F Marcus Fizer, G Jeff Trepagnier

DALLAS MAVERICKS (2) - G Travis Best, C Scott Williams

DENVER NUGGETS (2) - F Mark Pope, F Ryan Bowen

LOS ANGELES CLIPPERS (4) - F Matt Barnes (R), C Josh Moore, G Doug Overton, F Bobby Simmons

MEMPHIS GRIZZLIES (1) - F Stromile Swift (R)

MINNESOTA TIMBERWOLVES (3) - G Darrick Martin, C Oliver Miller, F Gary Trent

NEW JERSEY NETS (1) - G Hubert Davis

NEW ORLEANS HORNETS (2) - G Courtney Alexander, G Shammond Williams

WASHINGTON WIZARDS (2) - F Mitchell Butler, G Chris Whitney

Last edited:
hmm...when i think teal though i just think Hornets. maybe its the other way around, but imo their unis are the most teal, if that makes sense.

I agree- and those guys from New Orleans don't exactly meet that. Willams is 6-1 and Alexander is 6-6. Hes listed as a g/f, but also is a restricted FA.

WalMatt23 said:
Basketball season may be around the corner, but baseball is the dominant topic of conversation right now between players and front office personnel alike. You have Cubs fans in Brad Miller and Vice President of Media Relations, Troy Hanson, a handful of A’s fans—including Director of Scouting, Scotty Stirling, and a small group of Giants fans (which includes yours truly) that are constantly debating the merits of their teams.

Miller even went so far as to do a little advance scouting this last weekend at SBC Park, checking out the Giants/Dodgers game—two teams Chicago is fighting for a playoff spot.
LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!! that is so funny!!!!!!!! i was at the giants/dodger game on friday night, and i didn't see him. usually in SF, they show any celebrity on the jumbotron. no miller, but derek fisher was there. and in true kings fan form, i BOOED him!!!!!!!!!!!

Variant said:
Hornets' free agents:

Courtney Alexander
Stacey Augmon
Steve Smith
Robert Traylor
Shammond Williams

Memphis:

Stromile Swift (think he was retained)
Jake Tsakalidis

Just an old list, I'm not sure who all has been signed already.

I think Memphis matched an offer for Jake Tsakalidis. So it shouldn't be him.

ReinadelosReys said:
Team's who color could be "teal":

CHARLOTTE BOBCATS (6) - F Lonny Baxter, G J.R. Bremer, G Maurice Carter, F Desmond Ferguson, F Marcus Fizer, G Jeff Trepagnier
Orange Jersseys

LOS ANGELES CLIPPERS (4) - F Matt Barnes (R), C Josh Moore, G Doug Overton, F Bobby Simmons
I think more Red, white, and Blue

MEMPHIS GRIZZLIES (1) - F Stromile Swift (R)

See Gasol
Too dark to be teal

Variant said:
Steve Smith is a Bobcat now
http://www.nba.com/transactions/movement2004_index.html
For Jake.. see Gasol and the fact that the Grizz matched the Cavs offer.

HndsmCelt said:
The Wolves wear Teal as well... Letr us pry it is not Derick Martin or Oliver Miller
:eek: good thing their blue is also too dark.

ReinadelosReys said:
But also keep in mind that we're most likely looking for a front court player
6ft9 SF/PF Lee Nailon was also on the Hornets wearing teal

Attachments

Last edited: