The Kings of Confusion

Thanks for posting. Read this earlier, and figured it would make it up here at some point.

PDA specifically mentions they're looking for a perimeter pest (and think they have one in Collison) as well as a shotblocker. Encouraging.

If you look at those gifs, though, there are a number of defensive breakdowns that have little to nothing to do with rim protection. The whole team is going to have to improve at executing Malone's system, and simply adding a shotblocker is no panacea. Here's hoping that some cohesion and more time to "marinate," as Lowe puts it, will lead to better defensive chemistry.

Nice to see that working at Grantland hasn't softened Zach Lowe's constant need to be the salty anti-Kings guy.

I actually thought it was a pretty fair article. I expected it to be extremely "anti-Kings" after reading the first few paragraphs, but I thought it was pretty fair. The quotes from PDA offer a perspective about what the Kings might be doing. PDA understands we won't lure big time free agents to Sacramento, so he is looking for "bargains" based on what factors teams are overvaluing. Here, teams are targeting and valuing cap space, good contracts, and good cap numbers, so players with really bad contracts are "undervalued." PDA is looking for good players with bad contracts because he thinks he can get them for few assets. Gay has a terrible contract so we were able to get him for cheap (not cheap money-wise, but cheap asset-wise). He is pursuing Smith because he thinks he can do the same thing- get a good talent for a small amount of talent because of his toxic contract. Whether it works remains to be seen, but Lowe does a good job of explaining what we might be doing.

I also think he was fair in discussing the IT vs. Collison debate, as well as highlighting our defense issues. He also is hopeful or optimistic that Ben will improve, which is more positive than most are about Ben.

I actually thought it was a good article, especially if you get beyond the first few paragraphs.

I actually thought it was a pretty fair article. I expected it to be extremely "anti-Kings" after reading the first few paragraphs, but I thought it was pretty fair. The quotes from PDA offer a perspective about what the Kings might be doing. PDA understands we won't lure big time free agents to Sacramento, so he is looking for "bargains" based on what factors teams are overvaluing. Here, teams are targeting and valuing cap space, good contracts, and good cap numbers, so players with really bad contracts are "undervalued." PDA is looking for good players with bad contracts because he thinks he can get them for few assets. Gay has a terrible contract so we were able to get him for cheap (not cheap money-wise, but cheap asset-wise). He is pursuing Smith because he thinks he can do the same thing- get a good talent for a small amount of talent because of his toxic contract. Whether it works remains to be seen, but Lowe does a good job of explaining what we might be doing.

I also think he was fair in discussing the IT vs. Collison debate, as well as highlighting our defense issues. He also is hopeful or optimistic that Ben will improve, which is more positive than most are about Ben.

I actually thought it was a good article, especially if you get beyond the first few paragraphs.
Agreed. Writing it off as part of some anti-Kings agenda does the article (and those reading posts here who may then decide to skip it) a disservice, IMO.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Skimming through this, this guy has the need to more than once question the front offices' decision on not retaining IT even if it's for a few million less, not comprehending the fact that the ball sticks with IT and that's the opposite of what the Kings are trying to build here, regardless if there is a talent drop off. Next, considering all the invaluable assets we've had to work with since Pete came here (excluding Tyreke & IT), they've done a fairly decent job of getting rid of the stench that was so long over our organizations heads. It is a bit disappointing they couldn't get more for players like Reke and IT but teams knew they weren't going to resign them so they didn't have enough leverage here.

Skimming through this, this guy has the need to more than once question the front offices' decision on not retaining IT even if it's for a few million less, not comprehending the fact that the ball sticks with IT and that's the opposite of what the Kings are trying to build here, regardless if there is a talent drop off.
Actually- he talks a lot about the ball "sticking" with IT. he points out that only DJ Augustin dribbled more last year, that IT frequently pissed off Cousins because he would call for second and third picks, etc... He concludes that he would rather have IT because he is better than Collison, but acknowledges that PDA thinks Collison is a better fit because Gay and Cousins are ball dominant. The whole point of the article is that Lowe and others disagree with what the Kings are doing, but PDA has a plan.

I thought by the end he'd almost talked himself into what they are doing. At the start, a little rough.
Get past the first few paragraphs and it's reasonable.

Some of you are so sensitive. His questioning of the teams direction is pretty tame compared to what's been bantered about around here. reporting that those same questions are being raised around the leagues inner circles is relevant.

He wrote one tough piece on Cousins, which had a lot of fair criticism but a faulty conclusion. Something he's admitted to at this point. Get over it and address his arguments rather than his tone.

I usually like Lowe's articles, but this one was really mixed up and confusing to read. Like he wrote it over a weeks time, and didn't bring it back to any cohesive conclusion.

This is how I'd rank the new FO three year goals, all based on using Cuz as the anchor:

1. They don't like ball dominant guards - goodbye Tyreke and IT.
2. Will take on a reasonable salary for talent; Moubte and DWill.
3. Will take on a BIG salary as a risk that the talent will mesh better; Gay.
4. Cap space in 2015.
5. Dump JT.
6. Consider "friendship" trades as a way to ingest talent. ie, Gay/Cuz besties with Rondo, Josh Smith...lol

I think Lowe is just taking each move on its own, without considering the wider view.

I don't put to much thought into what the media says about our team because even in our glory days there was a ton of backhanded compliments or just flat out bashing even with us having the best record in basketball. As I mentioned before in another thread it does not matter if the media doesn't know what the brass is doing as long THEY DO.

The first little bit seems to convey bemusement at getting rid of IT then he gives a great run down of exactly why he was let go.

Don't think it's a "negative" article in tone, but he sure does go in on the Kings a lot on twitter, but then again, what national guy doesn't.

my least favourite is Matt Moore. @HPbasketball. <<

I don't really take much of what Zach Lowe says about the Kings seriously. but this quote does have some legitimacy and is kind of scary

"If their roster peaks as so-so in 2017, the Kings might have to veer back into rebuilding mode three or four years after they could have started the process properly around Cousins."

I don't really take much of what Zach Lowe says about the Kings seriously. but this quote does have some legitimacy and is kind of scary

"If their roster peaks as so-so in 2017, the Kings might have to veer back into rebuilding mode three or four years after they could have started the process properly around Cousins."
It's one of the few, probably the only, part of the article I take issue with. NBA folks at Grantland keep saying that smart management can keep a team competitive over the years without tanking, it's even more likely if a very good piece like Cousins is already locked down. I don't agree with this general view for a variety of reasons, but it's kind of incoherent for Lowe to come out with a statement like this.

Yes. This is the downside is clearly out there and a decent chance to happen based upon the bets they are taking (Collison suddenly a good starter, Gay an All Star, Josh Smith turns back the clock 4 years). When they extend Gay and get burned trading for a high priced reclamation project (if not Smith, another high risk / high reward move with 2 or 3 years on the books), the team will be stuck outside the playoffs, without meaningful cap space, with most likely a new GM, until the summer 2017 as we wait for the contracts of the high priced veteran, Landry, and Collison come off the books. With Cousins in his walk year, we'll be starting over again.

Because of neglect and mismanagement for several years, the Kings should be slowly collecting assets and avoiding bad contracts to grow a base to make reasonable moves. They are swinging for the fences because "the fans are tired of losing" and the new owner's business plan calls for a playoff team in the new building. Those are good reasons to want to do something. It's not a good reason to take long shot bets with really horrible downsides.

Yes. This is the downside is clearly out there and a decent chance to happen based upon the bets they are taking (Collison suddenly a good starter, Gay an All Star, Josh Smith turns back the clock 4 years). When they extend Gay and get burned trading for a high priced reclamation project (if not Smith, another high risk / high reward move with 2 or 3 years on the books), the team will be stuck outside the playoffs, without meaningful cap space, with most likely a new GM, until the summer 2017 as we wait for the contracts of the high priced veteran, Landry, and Collison come off the books. With Cousins in his walk year, we'll be starting over again.

Because of neglect and mismanagement for several years, the Kings should be slowly collecting assets and avoiding bad contracts to grow a base to make reasonable moves. They are swinging for the fences because "the fans are tired of losing" and the new owner's business plan calls for a playoff team in the new building. Those are good reasons to want to do something. It's not a good reason to take long shot bets with really horrible downsides.
great post.

This is my real issue with trying to trade for Rondo. How much do you give up for a small window of opportunity?

I don't mind dropping money on Cousins and Gay. But after that, build a roster. Don't tie up your cap on Smith and Rondo when you really wouldn't know what you have in team chemistry and commitment.

If you are confident in your ability to draft and in your coaching staff, let Ben, Nik and Ray develop. The fans will tolerate no playoffs this year if we see improvement on the court and things going in the right direction.

alright, so which one of you posters on here is Zach Lowe in disguise?

Zach Lowe ‏@ZachLowe_NBA 7m
@HereWeVivek Nice feedback from someone who, for some reason, does not take what I say about the Kings seriously.

Zach knows that if the Kings plan somehow works out, that we'll be baking all the crow to serve the entire press row. Mostly because we all realize the general press i about two years behind when it comes to understanding the Kings.

we will make sure to have some crow ready for Bruski too, when Isaiah Thomas never materializes into a perinneal AllStar leading his team to multiple Championships