The Kings defense is broken

Great article.
Makes me a little frustrated with Vlade, although it's easy to imagine a number of scenarios in which he didn't get what he wanted.
You''ll have to wait for the summer podcast, which will be highly entertaining, and around 50% true.

But I'll bet you dollars to donuts it's all Vivek.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
Finally someone is pointing out the glaringly obvious problem with our defensive scheme. I keep hearing people single out the guards for guarding empty space or collapsing into the paint or switching when there's no real reason to switch as if all of them are somehow acting independently of the coach or they just forgot how to defend mid-career. Nobody defends this way unless their coach tells them to. All 5 players don't independently decide to go to a zone and then man-to-man and then back to zone on the same play unless someone has told them to. I've been screaming at my TV all year watching this garbage, I just don't have the technical wherewithal to capture video and present it in this way.

From that same website we get this article:

http://www.sactownroyalty.com/2016/2/11/10965584/recapping-some-major-defensive-lapses-seen-kings-vs-6ers

Which manages to blame all of the same miscues on individual player effort without ever identifying that they're playing in a zone not man-to-man and a lot of the open shots are occurring while the players are exactly where they're supposed to be in this crapty zone scheme we've been using all year. You just can't argue intelligently about defense with people who have no concept of what they're watching. Everyone should at least be required to read the article in the original post before they throw out accusations that "Player X" is terrible on defense.

Effort/stagnation is definitely a problem. In one of those gory clips, was a LA Lakers' backdoor on our defense - Rudy Gay was fixated on the ball handler and in a stagnant daze. In a zone offense - you can't only fixate where the ball is - you have to constantly read and gauge your next action, every second.

Spike

Subsidiary Intermediary
Staff member
Effort/stagnation is definitely a problem. In one of those gory clips, was a LA Lakers' backdoor on our defense - Rudy Gay was fixated on the ball handler and in a stagnant daze. In a zone offense - you can't only fixate where the ball is - you have to constantly read and gauge your next action, every second.
Interesting that that is what you pulled from the post.

yea that zone crap is disgusting. i never wanna see it again
we will, for the rest of this season as our hopes and dreams burn on a pyre of futility. Is he senile? early onset dementia? or is it shrewdly calculated? Or is he just too damn stubborn to admit this ish isn't working? DeMarcus makes a lovely scapegoat, but surely Karl has to realize it will be even more exposed if we trade him?

Malones first season the team lost by an average -3 PPG. This season the team is losing by an average -2 PPG. I'm not thrilled with the defence either. But people need to have more patience.

Deceptive stat. Patience would imply that this defensive scheme would eventually work, which it absolutely will not........ ever........ with any personell

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Malones first season the team lost by an average -3 PPG. This season the team is losing by an average -2 PPG. I'm not thrilled with the defence either. But people need to have more patience.
Malone's first season the team trotted through 23 different players, of whom something like 15 of them started at one time or another, made 3 trades, and largely tanked the last 3-4 weeks. It was open tryouts.

This current team, and scheme, has been together unchanged all season. That's the concern. Where will improvement come from?

Last edited:

Spike

Subsidiary Intermediary
Staff member
Care to explain why is it interesting?
Why not:

The gist of the article (accurately stated) is that Karl's scheme leaves players out of position because of its incongruity relative to today's style of play. More so, even if it were an effective zone scheme, which it isn't, it isn't at all suited to our players.

What you pull from it is, "hey, Rudy is out of position. He's not working hard."