The dream comes to fruition

How tall are you?
6'0". My BMI isn't quite what it ought to be either but I'm just a couple pounds this side of technically obese.

I have realized that it is the padding in the seats doing it. Chris Granger said "they are the same distance as the prior arena" and I think they probably are - but the old arena only had the plastic shell. These have a 4" butt pad and a 2" back pad built in - so there is the legroom discrepancy.

There was a 6'4" kid in front of me (a few seats over thank God - not DIRECTLY in front of me) and I chatted him up about the leg room. He said it was better than his old seats in Arco but he didn't look very comfortable.

All I need is for the Kings to KEEP ME ON THE EDGE OF MY SEAT all year, and I'll be fine :)

Made this for my seat mates who couldn't make it to open house, but thought others might like a look at the view from my seats. Mine are 205-A-9-12, but those were closed off for the open house, so this is the mirror image in 218

I'm 10 rows back of that and I think it's awesome. Just wish they had the scoreboard raised. Now I HAVE to go to Fan Fest :)

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
The concourse on the closed end - lower level - is LIT!! Just beautiful with the vintage neon signs. Nice street taco stand with "3 for $10" plate. Not bad. And got to see the visitor and home locker rooms. Piglet statue was covered up today. I could not find any coffee in the whole arena... that has GOT to be remediated...

Fountain Franke's Drugs???

Damn, they really are going for a unique experience! :p

My how time flys.
I cannot believe this beautiful new arena is now open.

Theres a rumor flying around that the huge glass doors will have to be closed before tip off per the NBA. Anyone heard anything similar?

Great pics of the Arena!!! Seats seem to be a gigantic upgrade over the plastic ones at Sleep Train. I imagine taller and bigger people will have some troubles in their seats, but it seems ok for the most part. Arena looks beautiful, and I'm actually ok with the artwork now. Looks unique in front of a high-tech arena.

Anyone know what's the delay on the video screens at the entrance? They need to fill in the missing pieces and they have been struggling with it for weeks.

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
My how time flys.
I cannot believe this beautiful new arena is now open.

Theres a rumor flying around that the huge glass doors will have to be closed before tip off per the NBA. Anyone heard anything similar?

If the Kings learned to harness the wind they would have a distinct advantage.

Yep. I was very impressed. It actually doesn't appear as large inside as I thought, but that's a good thing. I attended an event at the new T-Mobile Arena in Vegas back in April and that place is very vast and cavernous inside. We had lower level seats at the other end of the arena from where the stage was located and it seemed quite FAR away. I didn't get that same feeling at G1C. It somehow retains the intimacy we all loved about ARCO II. And I love that most the seating is in the lower bowl.

To me, one of the coolest things about it is how open it is. Not only is the main entrance wide open, when you walk around the plaza level you can still see the action most places. Even in the upper level, you can see the video board as you walk past entry ways. It's pretty slick . Reminds me of an open baseball stadium at the concourse level.

I even took a walk up to to the very last row of the upper level and, while it certainly is steep, it's not a bad vantage point at all.

Lastly, regarding the art piece out front, my wife, step son, dad and I all thought it looked better than in the pictures we'd seen. The color is vibrant and changes as you walk around. I've been pretty indifferent about it, but after seeing it in person -- I thought it was kinda cool and provides something unique and identifiable to the area.

Yep. I was very impressed. It actually doesn't appear as large inside as I thought, but that's a good thing. I attended an event at the new T-Mobile Arena in Vegas back in April and that place is very vast and cavernous inside. We had lower level seats at the other end of the arena from where the stage was located and it seemed quite FAR away. I didn't get that same feeling at G1C. It somehow retains the intimacy we all loved about ARCO II. And I love that most the seating is in the lower bowl.

To me, one of the coolest things about it is how open it is. Not only is the main entrance wide open, when you walk around the plaza level you can still see the action most places. Even in the upper level, you can see the video board as you walk past entry ways. It's pretty slick . Reminds me of an open baseball stadium at the concourse level.

I even took a walk up to to the very last row of the upper level and, while it certainly is steep, it's not a bad vantage point at all.

Lastly, regarding the art piece out front, my wife, step son, dad and I all thought it looked better than in the pictures we'd seen. The color is vibrant and changes as you walk around. I've been pretty indifferent about it, but after seeing it in person -- I thought it was kinda cool and provides something unique and identifiable to the area.
Agreed on multiple counts. The concourses feel very open, food and drink options at every turn, and there is ample space to just post up and watch without being in someone's way. They are definitely encouraging people to congregate, which is great. The reduction in number in the upper level seats is definitely noticeable; I kept being surprised when I'd looked up and see no concourse at the very top (rip "skyline lounge).

And while I've defended the Koons piece here from the beginning, that was mostly in the devil's advocate role, and I was pleasantly surprised with how it looks in person. Smaller than I expected, but a very interesting centerpiece to the whole area. I think its splashes of color work really well given how monochromatic the arena and plaza are, and it's cool how every angle looks different in terms of what is reflected and what you can see through it. It's already a natural gathering spot to meet outside the arena--every sports complex has a statute outside, but no one else has something like this.

I was also pleasantly surprised with the plaza around the arena. When the renderings first came out I thought the plaza wouldn't be big enough, but it seems just right, as the arena still fits in to the urban space but has enough room for people to gather and line up to enter.

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
Caught both one of the open house sessions (1 pm) and the fan fest tonight. The arena is great. Scoreboards look fantastic, the barn doors were open today with the beautiful weather, seats were VERY comfortable, sightlines looked great, the ribbon displays looked very nice. Parking was very easy both in and out after (parked about 4 blocks away in a public garage). Only a couple minor complaints:

1. Half the food joints weren't serving food or only serving small parts of their menus (open house). No biggie long term but you would think they would have gone all out today to make sure their employees got more last-minute training and all the folks going through could buy their food.

2. We couldn't hear the coach or the players, etc., up in the the lower part of section 222. Nobody in my group could hear more than maybe 1/10 of what was being said. Minor sound adjustment required?

3. The Shakeys sign is almost hidden in a corner. That one should be out more properly displayed! Personal preference, of course, I miss Shakeys and the sign is cool.

4. I'm guessing they still have a lot of decoration to do; the walls are all plain. Not really a big complaint, but I imagine they will eventually will liven up the walls a bit.

Edit:
5. The G1C/Kings app on my phone was acting glitchy. Crashed to the home screen a couple times, took forever to load, etc. Hadn't really played around with it much before so I don't know if this is "normal" behavior for this app or if the proximity to G1C and heavy usage at the Fan Fest was to blame at all?

Attachments

Last edited:

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
2. We couldn't hear the coach or the players, etc., up in the the lower part of section 222. Nobody in my group could hear more than maybe 1/10 of what was being said. Minor sound adjustment required?
I was in 122, and the sound was not great either (though not inaudible). I was figuring it was an issue with the microphone but perhaps the sound system wasn't perfectly calibrated.

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
I was in 122, and the sound was not great either (though not inaudible). I was figuring it was an issue with the microphone but perhaps the sound system wasn't perfectly calibrated.
Hey, great to see you before the Fan Fest started. Did you see Lynne on the big screen with her grandkids?

I did! I didn't see Mike, but he was there. Good that all four Founders were in the building. Seems a long way from Starbucks.
Hey guys I have this crazy idea of bigger than basketball. Meet me at Starbucks. I guarantee the Kings will be in a new downtown arena. We just need to do our part.

Some people thought I was crazy.

"Who's the more foolish, the fool, or the fool who follows him?" - Obi-Wan Kenobi

Caught both one of the open house sessions (1 pm) and the fan fest tonight. The arena is great. Scoreboards look fantastic, the barn doors were open today with the beautiful weather, seats were VERY comfortable, sightlines looked great, the ribbon displays looked very nice. Parking was very easy both in and out after (parked about 4 blocks away in a public garage).
GREAT pics ! Thanks for sharing !
The arena looks amazing. I will come from France for opening night and I can't wait to find it out !

Curious, did the open windows make any difference from inside the arena? Is there any possibilities that the Kings will be able to open them up for game time?

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Curious, did the open windows make any difference from inside the arena? Is there any possibilities that the Kings will be able to open them up for game time?
They were open during the scrimmage, but I don't know if they will be allowed to have them open during actual games. The effect of having the open space out on one side of the court is really nice, but I'm not sure I noticed any difference in the circulation. What I did notice is that the A/C comes in from below the seats, and not from above. Apparently that's quite a bit more efficient.

They were open during the scrimmage, but I don't know if they will be allowed to have them open during actual games. The effect of having the open space out on one side of the court is really nice, but I'm not sure I noticed any difference in the circulation. What I did notice is that the A/C comes in from below the seats, and not from above. Apparently that's quite a bit more efficient.
I was wondering about that too. I read in one publication that the NBA has mandated that they have the doors closed by tipoff. But then I also read this, which suggests it could be a possibility:

Kings games will have the capacity to be played with these doors open; the team just needs to guarantee on-the-court temperature, humidity, and wind are within the range of NBA standards.

http://www.geekwire.com/2016/21st-c...neak-peek-inside-nbas-newest-high-tech-arena/