The annual "I live in ____ and have a question about League Pass" thread

6th

Homer Fan Since 1985
Does anyone ever get league pass? I plan on getting it for the first time. Does it alow you to watch every NBA game played?

It allows for most games, except for blacked out ones. Example...you will not get League Pass game if a team in your area is carrying the game. When I lived in Illinois, my league pass blacked out my Kings who were playing in Chicago. Problem was, I could not get the Chicago station that was carrying the game. So, I only missed a couple of Kings games all year.

Does anyone ever get league pass? I plan on getting it for the first time. Does it alow you to watch every NBA game played?

I got every Kings game last year with League Pass. I saw that someone mentioned missing a local market game because of being in the Chicago area. Chicago is my local market even though I am in Des Moines (Iowa), but I get WGN and Comcast-Chicago with DirecTV. So I'm pretty sure I got every single game last season for all teams. It even had Kings games from their local TV station, when it wasnt on Comcast Cali.

A

AriesMar27

i have league pass... they do blackout games... the only downside is that the games arent broadcasted in hd. i hate watching television if it isnt in high def. its the worst feeling in the world to watch sports that arent 1080i... timewarner doesnt broadcast in 1080p. damn the world.

i have league pass... they do blackout games... the only downside is that the games arent broadcasted in hd. i hate watching television if it isnt in high def. its the worst feeling in the world to watch sports that arent 1080i... timewarner doesnt broadcast in 1080p. damn the world.
Some are in hi def.

I live in fairfield California and just purchased league pass to watch the Kings because they are blacked out in Fairfield, will the League pass black out the Kings for me?

Agreed.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
I'm hi-def spoiled too, but 720p is better than 1080i in theory for sports (really irrelevant by the time your box descrambles and outputs the signal for most people/boxes though).

In Portland Comcast has exclusive rights to the Blazers so if you are in Portland and have Dish/DirectTV you will not get the Kings/Blazers games. This sure sucks for local sports bars that have to subscribe to both DirectTV for Sunday Ticket and Comcast for Blazers.

A

AriesMar27

I'm hi-def spoiled too, but 720p is better than 1080i in theory for sports (really irrelevant by the time your box descrambles and outputs the signal for most people/boxes though).

In Portland Comcast has exclusive rights to the Blazers so if you are in Portland and have Dish/DirectTV you will not get the Kings/Blazers games. This sure sucks for local sports bars that have to subscribe to both DirectTV for Sunday Ticket and Comcast for Blazers.
thats true... especially in basketball because the pace of the game.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
Seven Cities, represent!

On my seventh year of having League Pass; in Hampton Roads, the only games that are "blacked out" for me are Wizards games, and since my provider carries CSN-DC, I don't miss those, either. Now some games simply aren't on League Pass at all (usually Toronto or Portland, I think), but it is what it is.

Yeah, there is the HD concern, but it's not my concern. I have an HDTV, but I almost never actually watch anything in HD on it; I really couldn't give a **** less about HD.

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
I have an HDTV, but I almost never actually watch anything in HD on it; I really couldn't give a **** less about HD.
Same here. I'll watch the Kings in any resolution I can get them. I watch Blu-Rays and DVDs in higher resolution, regular TV isn't worth the additional cost right now.

CruzDude

Senior Member sharing a brew with bajaden
Santa Cruz was in the Warrior TV Zone. So the NBA package blacked out the two Kings @ Warriors games but then I found both games on Comcast Sports Net for the Bay Area so didn't miss a game. Occasionally a smaller market team not doing well will not even broadcast their home game vs. Kings. Several years ago when Denver was not well they did not carry either Kings game. But that didn't happen last year. Now we are far enough south of Staples Center in LA (115 miles I think) that we should get everything.

I think the NBA rule for blackout of home games is a 90 miles radius. It was 88 miles from Santa Cruz to the Warrior arena so makes sense. So plunk your compass on Arco Arena on a map and make the circle to see about NBA package coverage or not. Comcast Sports Net may fill in some games blacked out but you gotta check with them most anywhere.

Wizards games are blacked out on my league pass as well, and I know im over 90 miles away from DC. Im almost in North Carolina where its about a 2 and a half hour drive to Charlotte (while bobcat games aren't blacked out). But about a 6 hour drive to Washington, and they are blacked out for some reason, but it doesnt really matter to me

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
NBA League Pass should only black out games when a local station has the rights to broadcast them. Where the game is blacked out is all about the coverage area of the local station with the rights to broadcast the game.

Presumably, if a League Pass game is blacked out, there should be access to it either via the local regional sports network or another local TV station. I guess sometimes their local TV station coverage maps aren't perfect and sometimes people don't get the RSNs (either cable doesn't carry them or they don't pay for that tier) but in general there should be a way to get all of the blacked out games.

There may be some instances of a local station holding the rights to broadcast a game and then not broadcasting it, but that ought to be pretty rare these days.

I live in fairfield California and just purchased league pass to watch the Kings because they are blacked out in Fairfield, will the League pass black out the Kings for me?
Who is your cable provider. I used to be getting blacked out with direct tv when I ordered sports pack til I sent an email to direct tv and kings. Told them it didnt make sense that I recieved my locals as sacramento and when it comes to basketball I get the bay area ones. They fix this 2 years ago and now able to watch all kings on comcast sportsnet and didnt have to order league pass.

I used to live in Red Bluff, CA 120 miles north of Sacramento. Never had to miss a single Kings game since I could get it either locally or NBA League Pass. Now I live in Jasper, TX (very small town in SE Texas). The closest bball market is the Rockets well over 240 miles away and yet Direct TV or NBA League Pass finds some reason to block the occasional Kings game here. When I call to complain they can never give me a good reason why.

I too have a huge HD television but stopped paying for HD channels from Direct TV when the economy tanked. I really dont notice the difference. Maybe I'm not discerning enough.....

Does anyone know if league pass broadband can be split among two people? Like say if my friend and I wanted to split it would we both be able to watch different games on different computer at the simultaneously. Thanks in advance.

I live in Fairfield too and have had LP for the past four years. If you were in Vacaville, you'd get CSNCA and see the Kings for free. But since Fairfield is in the Warriors area, we have to pay for LP to get all the games. The only ones that will be blacked out are the Kings/Warriors games. They will be on CSNBA and we're stuck w/ the Warriors announce team. Sucks, but oh well....:cool:

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
Not for me; this was the first game this season where I heard the Kings broadcasters...

Not that I consider this to be necessarily a good thing: it still vexes me how some people complain about other announcers, as if Napear and Reynolds are fair and balanced. Napear is a tool, and Reynolds is a knob; there are worse individuals (Frazier, Heinsohn, Fiorentino), sure, but good luck trying to convince me that there's a worse tandem in the NBA than those two.