The Alternate Rules Tropical Island Music Draft Thread - Round 20

Pure Funk Vol 2 - Various Artists - 1999

I'll admit it, were it not for an information that was just flat out funky, I would not even have known about this collection let alone have bought it. But I just looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooved these and this volume in particular.

1.Another One Bites the Dust - Queen 2.It's Your Thing - The Isley Brothers 3.Let It Whip - Dazz Band 4.Ain't Nobody - Rufus & Chaka Khan 5.You Sexy Thing - Hot Chocolate 6.You're the One For Me - "D" Train 7.Get Down on It - Kool & The Gang 8.It's a Love Thing - The Whispers 9.Give It to Me Baby - Rick James 10.She's a Bad Mama Jama - Carl Carlton 1.Mama Used to Say - Junior 12.Cut the Cake - Average White Band 13.Payback, The - James Brown 14.I Gotcha - Joe Tex 15.Street Life - Randy Crawford/The Crusaders 16.I'm Gonna Love You Just a Little More, Baby - Barry White 17.Outstanding - The Gap Band 18.Use Me - Bill Withers 19.Got to Give It up (Part 1) - Marvin Gaye 20.Keep on Truckin' (Part 1) - Eddie Kendricks

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Well haven't I just become the dimedropper/kingsfan16/gary dropout plague of this thread? :eek:

#18 pick (make up):

Eagles : The Very Best Of (2CD) (2003)

Ok, yes, I went back to more classic rock just one pick after I said I was trying to break away from thaat -- but that is seriously what I have always used these style albums for -- either greatest hits collections of artists from before my record buying time, or compilations of 1 hit wonder types that were annoying and expensive to collect back in the bad ole days when you had to buy a whole album (or a single if you were lucky enough to find one) just to get 1 good song. And of course once music went digital, there wasn't even any more point to buy the compilations -- could make my own. In any case, do not actually own thise version of the Eagles Greatest Hits -- intstead own their Greatest Hits 1 & 2, which are sold separately, so went out and found the closest thing to it -- a nice two CD set with pretty much everything on it (as well as some lower quality filler). Many many hits here from their classic mellow relaxing years to the amped up years after they added Joe Walsh:

Disc: 1
1. Take It Easy
2. Witchy Woman
3. Peaceful Easy Feeling
4. Desperado
5. Tequila Sunrise
6. Doolin-Dalton
7. Already Gone
8. The Best Of My Love
9. James Dean
10. Ol' '55
11. Midnight Flyer
12. On The Border
13. Lyin' Eyes
14. One Of These Nights
15. Take It To The Limit
16. After The Thrill Is Gone
17. Hotel California

Disc: 2
1. Life In The Fast Lane
2. Wasted Time
3. Victim Of Love
4. The Last Resort
5. New Kid In Town
6. Please Come Home For Christmas
7. Heartache Tonight
8. The Sad Cafe
9. I Can't Tell You Why
10. The Long Run
11. In The City
12. Those Shoes
13. Seven Bridges Road (Live)
14. Love Will Keep Us Alive
15. Get Over It
16. Hole In The World

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
#19 (on time! yay!)

4 Decades of Folk Rock (2007)

A nifty nifty box set of recent vintage coming up with 71 folk rock songs from the 60s all the way through today. As often happens on this sort of this, the compilers think they are being artsy and sophisticated by intentionally ignoring the Side A hits of some of the big names, and going with Side B songs instead. No, you are just being a pretentious ***, thx. But regardless of that little flaw, this is a frightenly good set, and even drops in some favorite songs that I would never have expected to find here, and could never have gotten otherwise. I even get Come on Eileen out of it (which jut missed my cut in the singles draft)! Woohoo! One note: we get the Bangles but no Tracy Chapman? Really?? :rolleyes:

Disc: 1
1. LIKE A ROLLING STONE – Bob Dylan
2. EVE OF DESTRUCTION – Barry McGuire
3. IT AIN’T ME BABE – The Turtles
4. YOU WERE ON MY MIND – We Five
5. DO YOU BELIEVE IN MAGIC – The Lovin’ Spoonful
6. TURN! TURN! TURN! (To Everything There Is a Season) – The Byrds
7. GO WHERE YOU WANNA GO – The Mamas & the Papas
8. DON’T MAKE PROMISES – Tim Hardin
9. SEASON OF THE WITCH – Donovan
10. THAT’S THE BAG I’M IN – Fred Neil
11. GET TOGETHER – The Youngbloods
12. TODAY – Jefferson Airplane
13. FOR WHAT IT’S WORTH – Buffalo Springfield
14. I NEVER ASKED TO BE YOUR MOUNTAIN – Tim Buckley
15. MORNING DEW – Tim Rose
16. DIFFERENT DRUM – The Stone Poneys
17. I SHALL BE RELEASED – The Band
18. EVERYBODY’S TALKIN’ – Nilsson

Disc: 2
1. WOODEN SHIPS – Crosby, Stills & Nash
2. FOTHERINGAY – Fairport Convention
3. COMING INTO LOS ANGELES – Arlo Guthrie
4. ANYWHERE LIKE HEAVEN – James Taylor
5. JOHN BARLEYCORN – Traffic
6. BOX OF RAIN – Grateful Dead
7. ONE OF THESE THINGS FIRST – Nick Drake
8. REASON TO BELIEVE – Rod Stewart
9. AMERICAN PIE – Don McLean
10. PEOPLE ON THE HIGHWAY –Pentangle
11. ROCK ME ON THE WATER – Jackson
12. BIRDS – Linda Ronstadt
13. WHISKEY IN THE JAR – Thin Lizzy
14. LOVE HAS NO PRIDE – Bonnie
15. DIAMONDS AND RUST – Joan Baez
16. ALL AROUND MY HAT – Steeleye Span
17. GOLD DUST WOMAN – Fleetwood Mac

Disc: 3
1. WALL OF DEATH – Richard & Linda Thompson
2. COME ON EILEEN – Dexys Midnight Runners
3. TALK ABOUT THE PASSION – R.E.M.
4. WHAT’S SHE DONE TO YOUR MIND – The Rain
5. PASS IT ON – Lone
6. A PAIR OF BROWN EYES – The Pogues
7. LOVE RADIATES AROUND – The Roches
8. SOMEDAY – Steve Earle
9. LUKA – Suzanne
10. FOURTH OF JULY – Dave Alvin
11. SEE HOW WE ARE – X
12. LET IT RAIN – The Dream Syndicate
13. DON’T TALK – 10,000 Maniacs
14. FISHERMAN’S BLUES – The Waterboys
15. HAZY SHADE OF WINTER – Bangles
16. FIVE CUPS OF COFFEE – The Jayhawks
17. PASSIONATE KISSES – Lucinda Williams
18. PUT DOWN THE GUN – Peter Case

Disc: 4
1. CAROLYN – Steve Wynn
2. DRAWN TO THE RHYTHM – Sarah McLachlan
3. ANGELS – Peter Holsapple & Chris Stamey
4. STILL BE AROUND – Uncle Tupelo
5. GALILEO – Indigo Girls
6. FADE INTO YOU – Mazzy Star
7. BOX FULL OF LETTERS – Wilco
8. WHERE I GO – Natalie Merchant
9. LOOSE STRING – Son Volt
10. LOVE TO LOVE YOU – The Corrs
11. SHREDDING THE DOCUMENT – John Hiatt
12. SUNNY CAME HOME – Shawn Colvin
13. SHE CAME ALONG TO ME – Billy Bragg & Wilco
14. WE HAVE FORGOTTEN – Sixpence None the Richer
15. BABYLON – David Gray
16. CHIEF – Patty Griffin (3:10)
17. STUPID – Anne McCue
18. RAIN COME DOWN – eastmountainsouth

Wim Mertens - Best Of (1997)

I guess Mertens is considered part of holly triumvirate (with Michael Nyman and Phillip Glass) of contemporary classic music. I don't see that much similarity and I like Mertens the best specifically because he is most consistent and true to his minimalist approach. Like most people, I "discovered" him through soundtracks (Belly of an Architect, Peter Greenaway movies in general where he often pops up alongside Nyman), but the really cools stuff is still under the radar and most of it is on this CD.

More nutty fun:

Ultra Lounge, Vol. 3: Space Capades [Various Artists] (1996) -- I think the top of the album cover explains this CD's contents much better than I could. Atomic-age oddities and hi-fi hi-jinks. Good stuff.

Encomium: A Tribute to Led Zeppelin (1995)

Cool tribute album to the mighty Zepp. Great covers by Big Head Todd, Duran Duran, Sheryl Crow, Hootie and the Blowfish, STP, etc.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
The Music of John Williams: 40 Years of Film Music

I was looking for a Star Wars soundtrack. This collection was a pleasant surprise and one I'm actually adding to my Christmas wish list...

http://www.amazon.com/Music-John-Wi...=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1225661870&sr=1-2

Disc 1

1. The Sugarland Express 3:40
2. Jaws 2:17
3. Close Encounters Of The Third Kind - The Conversation Begins / Main Title / Resolution And Finale 8:12
4. Raiders Of The Lost Ark - Raiders Of The Lost Ark 5:26
5. Raiders Of The Lost Ark - The Map Room / Dawn 4:09
6. E.t.-the Extraterrestrial - Adventures On Earth 10:57
7. Indiana Jones And The Temple Of Doom - The Mine Car Chase 5:32
8. Indiana Jones And The Temple Of Doom - End Credits 6:29
9. Empire Of The Sun - Exsultate Justi 5:02
10. Indiana Jones And The Last Crusade - Indy's First Adventure 8:33

Disc 2

1. Indiana Jones And The Last Crusade - End Credits 11:18
2. Always - Follow Me / Dorinda's Solo Flight 3:42
3. Hook - Main Themes 4:07
4. Jurassic Park 6:00
5. Schindler's List - Orchestral Version 4:01
6. Amistad - Dry Your Tears, Afrika 3:40
7. Saving Private Ryan - Hymn To The Fallen 6:02
8. A.i. - Artificial Intelligence - Where Dreams Are Born 3:46
9. Minority Report - Minority Report 3:52
10. Catch Me If You Can 3:10

Disc 3

1. Rare Breed, The - Universal Emblem / Hilary's Plight / Scottish Romeo / The Hunt 8:34
2. Jane Eyre - The Jane Eyre Theme 3:17
3. Jane Eyre - To Thornfield 1:59
4. Jane Eyre - Restoration 3:42
5. Cowboys, The - Overture 9:43
6. The Poseidon Adventure 2:54
7. The Towering Inferno 5:06
8. Family Plot - End Titles 3:53
9. The Fury 2:54
10. Superman - Main Theme 4:12
11. Dracula - Main Titles & Storm 4:52
12. The River 5:03
13. Witches Of Eastwick, The - Dance Of The Witches 4:47

Disc 4

1. Born On The Fourth Of July 5:45
2. Presumed Innocent 4:16
3. Jfk - Arlington / End Titles 10:05
4. Harry Potter And The Philosopher's Stone - Hedwig's Theme 4:51
5. Harry Potter And The Chamber Of Secrets - Fawkes The Phoenix 3:38
6. Star Wars: Episode Iv - A New Hope - Main Titles 5:24
7. Star Wars: Episode V - The Empire Strikes Back - Han Solo And The Princess 4:08
8. Star Wars: Episode V - The Empire Strikes Back - The Imperial March 3:09
9. Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace - Anakin's Theme 2:51
10. Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace - The Flag Parade 3:18
11. Star Wars: Episode Ii - Attack Of The Clones - Across The Stars 5:43
12. Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace - Duel Of The Fates 4:16

As we're getting ready to start the final round of this thing, a few notes:

Firstly, a reminder to get your rankings in to me as quickly as possible, as it will make the voting process run smoother.

Secondly, it looks like this thing is going to be wrapping up right at the exact time that I'm heading into Thanksgiving break/finals/etc. and will probably be very busy with traveling, studying, paper writing, going insane, and so on. So, just wanted to give everyone a heads up that if my end of this runs slow, and it may very well, it's not due to a lack of interest.

Lastly, because of the wonky number of people in this draft, I won't be able to break everything up into neat and tidy playoff style brackets. I'm thinking I'll probably follow VF's lead from the car draft and have the top few drafters advance directly to the second round, but if anyone has any other format suggestions I'm open to hearing them.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Lastly, because of the wonky number of people in this draft, I won't be able to break everything up into neat and tidy playoff style brackets. I'm thinking I'll probably follow VF's lead from the car draft and have the top few drafters advance directly to the second round, but if anyone has any other format suggestions I'm open to hearing them.
I used the single elimination bracket creator at: http://www.crowsdarts.com/brackets/playoff-chart.html

If you do that, you'll have a first round of the 7 through 10 position (1 through 6 have a bye) and then everything will even out for successive rounds...

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
Starting off my final two, I need some Hank. I'll go with the original even though I highly enjoy the third and have a certain appreciation for Jr. that would not extend to any of my islands.
Hank Williams - The Ultimate Collection ([Mercury] 2002)

Of the two highest regarded compilations this one is slightly larger by about 8 tunes and leans slightly toward an alt-country interpretation of his career. But still all the big tracks are there - Lovesick Blues, I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry, Cold Cold Heart, Your Cheatin Heart, Jambalaya, Hey Good Lookin', Move it on Over, etc...

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
And last but not least:
The Decline of the Western Civilization - Various/Soundtrack(1981)

Performances from a pre-Rollins Black Flag, X, Circle Jerks, The Germs and Fear highlight the soundtrack to the documentary film. This was one of my starting off points as I got into punk rock, and these bands and tracks remain favorites to this day.

and for my final pick...With pick #20 I'm taking some Jack Johnson. I really enjoy In Between Dreams, and Brushfire Fairytales, but they were both taken in the original music draft. This soundtrack is also great, though a bit focused on young listeners. I love Lullaby, and I sing it to my son when I want to calm him to sleep.

Pick #20: Curious George: Sing-A-Longs and Lullabies (Jack Johnson and Friends) 2006

More: http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=10:k9fqxqrdldfe

and for my final pick...With pick #20 I'm taking some Jack Johnson. I really enjoy In Between Dreams, and Brushfire Fairytales, but they were both taken in the original music draft. This soundtrack is also great, though a bit focused on young listeners. I love Lullaby, and I sing it to my son when I want to calm him to sleep.

Pick #20: Curious George: Sing-A-Longs and Lullabies (Jack Johnson and Friends) 2006

More: http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=10:k9fqxqrdldfe
No way...come on! My final pick taken from me at the last minute! I even had the same cute story about singing "Lullaby" to MY son.

Poop.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
And for my final selection, I'm going with some uber-classic rock.

The Very Best of Cream - 1995

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=10:h9ftxqqhldte

Eric Clapton, Ginger Baker and Jack Bruce... What more needs to be said?

Tracks:
1. Wrapping Paper
2. I Feel Free
3. N.S.U.
4. Sweet Wine
5. I'm So Glad
6. Spoonful
7. Strange Brew
8. Sunshine of Your Love
9. Tales of Brave Ulysses
10. Swlabr
11. We're Going Wrong
12. White Room
13. Sitting on Top of the World
14. Politician
15. Those Were the Days
16. Born Under a Bad Sign
17. Deserted Cities of the Heart
18. Crossroads
19. Anyone for Tennis
20. Badge

Pearl Jam - Live in Sacramento (2000)

After the Curious George soundtrack was swiped, I had to pick one of my alternates. And I'm actually OK with it. I did not actually attend this concert...I was living in Santa Monica at the time. I thought it was cool that PJ decided to release each individual stop on their tour on separate CD's...since I had not been to any of the shows on that tour, I thought I would pick up the one that was closest to home. Lots of great references to Sacramento by Eddie Vedder on it, and a darn good set list, too.

Last edited:
Last, but not least:

Ultra Lounge, Vol. 9: Cha-Cha de Amor [Various Artists] (1996)
-- Another favorite of the truly fantastic Ultra Lounge collection. This one has a lot of good instrumental stuff, some weird and cooky tracks, and even a couple by my favorite Rat Pack member, Dean Martin. His version of "Sway," (there's also a sultry Julie London version on the album) and "Cha, Cha, Cha, D'Amour" are two of my faves. As with all of my last few picks, this is just great, fun, cocktail party music.

Ramones - It's Alive (1979)

My all time favorite live album. I usually don't buy or listen to live albums unless I was at the show when it was recorded, but I am more then happy to make exception for It's Alive.