Thanks Petrie

For trading away the guys we have known to love for this crap team we have now. Sure we may have some injuries, but we have ALWAYS played with injuries in the past and still managed to be one of the top 3 teams in the league every year. This year these guys get greedy and think that they are going to dismantle the team with championship rings in their eyes. Well reality has hit and we are now one of the worst teams in the western conference.

Bibby has to do EVERYTHING which means hes turning the ball over on a regular basis and has no wide open shots to connect with. When passing the ball, the new guys like to pass it to another king who is standing 5ft away from them and not even moving. What ever happend to EVERYONE moving without the ball so we can get wide open layups and jump shots? I just dont see it happening from any of the new guys, including Mobley. We have turned into a 1 on 1 team because we hardly have any passers now.

I never thought too much of Christie when he was here, but now that he is gone I can truely see how much he meant to our team. Not only was he our only good defender, but he was one of the best passers on the team. Instead of a shoot first mentality, he would look for cutters. Now we have Mobley who may be better offensively, but cant defend and feels the need to try and post up other guards.

Kenny Thomas is a 7th man at best. Corliss looks great against bad players, and bad against great players. Brian Skinner shows a lot of hussle and grit under the boards. Hes probably been our best pickup so far.

Its going to be interesting to see what happens in the coming months. I dont think the Arco Arena atmosphere will ever be the same again. We didnt just cheer because we won a lot, we cheered because we loved the guys on the court.

This is obviously not the finished product. This is a year of transition, of figuring out where certain guys stand and scoping out potential future Kings. Just be patient, there'll be more moves this summer. Petrie couldn't just let this team sit and fall apart around Bibby and Miller while Peja planned his departure.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
I'm on record as syaing this was a dumb trade and terribly timed. That said, we will have to wait until this team gets settled and then for the results of the offseason before it'll be time to storm Arco with pitchforks and torches. This group is better than its been showing. No chance in hell at a title, but better than this. And then we will see if Geoff has any secondary moves to save this thing in the summer. That just had to be the point. I hope.

In any case, this mini collapse was predictable with so much turmoil. There won't always be turmoil though.

I think you're being a little hard on the team considering that they are trying to incorporate three new players *at the same time* that they are suffering through losing the one remaining big guy that could effectively key the "old" Sacramento offense as we fans know it in Brad Miller.

Let's face it: one of the adjustments that was going to have to be made in trading away CWebb was losing statistics and ability at the PF in the hopes that the other three remaining starters (Bibby, Peja and Miller), together with Cutino, could pick up the slack in those offensive areas (i.e., scoring and assists). To this point, the team hasn't really had a chance to trot out the starting lineup it would prefer to trot out, and with the collective drop off in talent across the board at the starter level since the CWebb trade (in other words, measuring a lineup of Bibby, Cutino, Peja, CWebb and Miller vs. a lineup with the remaining four and Darius), it's going to be tougher to win games with injuries to key players like Miller, not to mention the fact that Peja is still getting his legs back under him after returning from injury.

Give it a little time. With the fight going on for the 8th playoff seed (and the fact that the Kings are, at least for now, comfortably above that fray), there's no immediate danger of the Kings missing out on the playoffs, and hopefully the team a) has had a chance to get used to each other by the time the second season starts and b) gets a favorable matchup (read: Suns or Sonics, imho) in the first round of the playoffs. After that, if the Kings can pull off the "upset", anything can happen.

Bricklayer said:
I'm on record as syaing this was a dumb trade and terribly timed. That said, we will have to wait until this team gets settled and then for the results of the offseason before it'll be time to storm Arco with pitchforks and torches. This group is better than its been showing. No chance in hell at a title, but better than this. And then we will see if Geoff has any secondary moves to save this thing in the summer. That just had to be the point. I hope.

In any case, this mini collapse was predictable with so much turmoil. There won't always be turmoil though.
I'll second that. The only thing that keeps my faith in Petrie alive is the thought that this trade is not finished. Write off a chance at the championship this year, okay, but I hope that somehow it means that we're going to have a better chance next year. The way the trade stands, though, I can't agree with. With Webb on the court I felt like we had enough talent to do anything, if all the pieces just fell together right. IF we were all healthy, and IF we were all at the top of our game. Either way, this year was a long shot, but at least with Webb here I could still say there was a shot, because we just had so much talent there. With this group we are still a very good team, and we will be even better once we have a little more practice time. But, I don't think we will have championship potential -- not this year.

ESP47 said:
Well reality has hit and we are now one of the worst teams in the western conference.
Its still early and we are not one of the worst teams in the west

I still hate the Webber trade though

this was a very difficult road trip

We had to do something, but should have done it on the off season. This is a very mediocre team at best, that always tends to run out of gas at the end of games. I keep hearing that when the Kings lose, they are tired. Ok, I can understand with the injuries, that sometimes could be the case. But, other teams play with injuries too and still look like they have more energy than we do for 4 quarters.

I think we've developed bad habits as a team as far as hustle is concerned. We move much better on offense than defense. I don't like seeing all the one on one stuff either, but this is the team we have. I agree, this has to be part of a larger scheme for next year. It sucks that we aren't that good this year now. We can compete for a few quarters, but can't finish. The truth hurts.

Can't wait to see what's in store next year. I'm not getting to hyped for the playoffs. I think we'll put on a good show, but I honestly feel we're probably gonna get bumped out in the first round. With Chris and Doug, I thought anything was possible because they've shown an ability to pick up the D in the post season. Now, I just hope so, but doubt it.

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
Bricklayer said:

You have to understand that there was no better time to trade Webb than now. It was a carefully planned (despite what you hear) so that a team like Philly, who thinks they may get that piece that can help them now, would be more willing to take on his huge contract. Webber wouldn't have gotten anything in return if we made a deal in the offseason. At least now we get back players that can help us now in our areas of deficiency and MAYBE even give us a better chance at contending THIS season. YES THIS SEASON!!! Not only that but players that still can be traded much easier than Webber.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
SacTownKid said:
You have to understand that there was no better time to trade Webb than now. It was a carefully planned (despite what you hear) so that a team like Philly, who thinks they may get that piece that can help them now, would be more willing to take on his huge contract. Webber wouldn't have gotten anything in return if we made a deal in the offseason. At least now we get back players that can help us now in our areas of deficiency and MAYBE even give us a better chance at contending THIS season. YES THIS SEASON!!! Not only that but players that still can be traded much easier than Webber.
You keep on syaing this about our mediocre forwards but I don't believe it for a moment. These guys are journeymen. And they aren't what we need either long or short term. Just bodies with matching salaries.

yea yea yea...after kings win 3 in a row, you guys will be praising petrie..typical ppl on this site......
*awaits quotes like*

"i was one of the few that actually supported this trade since day 1"

B.S

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
Bricklayer said:
You keep on syaing this about our mediocre forwards but I don't believe it for a moment. These guys are journeymen. And they aren't what we need either long or short term. Just bodies with matching salaries.

Are these guys better overall players then Webber? No way!!! Not for a second. Webb should have been an All-star this season hands down.

Are these guys better athletes and capable of doing the things Webber can't on defense? Yes! Are these guys able to get rebounds that Webber can't? Yes. I am just saying that I feel this team can find a way to utilize these guys and it just so happens that they do some of the things that would have most certainly given us little chance of getting to the promised land this season.

Its called addition by subtraction and this team ain't like Philly after they traded Sir Charles. We have a strong group of guys.

Last edited:
I hate to sound negative, but the chips are against us, more so than any of the previous years. We have to incorporate three new players into a system after losing a pivotal player half-way through the season. Not only that but we have to get the remaining players to play at a higher level; doing things they weren't expected to do all year. If it was hard to incorporate one player last year, it'd be equally hard to incorporate three new players. We aren't the deep, close-knit, team we once were, and guys are going to have to figure each other out on the court and off the court.

We should make the playoffs even if we have to scratch and claw our way into it, but making it out of the first round is up in the air at this point.

Last edited:
Yes, we still have a strong group of guys, but there is no doubt that this was subtraction by...well subtraction.

You finally saw some the new guys go up against a good team. I'm not talking about the team's overall play (I know...no Miller, no BJax), just the new guys. I think we will find that they play decent against the lesser teams but cannot really compete against the best teams in the league.

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
skeletor8 said:
Yes, we still have a strong group of guys, but there is no doubt that this was subtraction by...well subtraction.

You finally saw some the new guys go up against a good team. I'm not talking about the team's overall play (I know...no Miller, no BJax), just the new guys. I think we will find that they play decent against the lesser teams but cannot really compete against the best teams in the league.
You have to understand that we didn't trade for any of these guys with hopes that they will put out All-star performances or with any ideas that we were getting back a superstar, just to get guys that can play a little O, some D, and board. It was more of a situation to get the offense out of Webbers hands and give the reigns over to Peja and Mike. Was it a bad idea? Only time will tell. You have to give them time to gel. A long emotional road trip with no practice time is not the time to be making judgements. If we are here a month from now harping on the same things with no positives to talk about it will be a different story

Were in the same boat as we were before. We cant rebound, we cant play defense, except now we cant score 100 points. I just dont have faith in whats going on. You guys dont realize how difficult it is to keep a team on top like we have been for 5 or 6 years. You're going to be in for a big surprise if you think that a couple trades or signings in the offseason is going to take this team back to the top of the Western Conference. We could have easily rode it out for another 3 years and gambled on getting a championship that way. The chances were much higher in doing that. Plus they are the guys/team we loved to watch.

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
ESP47 said:
Were in the same boat as we were before. We cant rebound, we cant play defense, except now we cant score 100 points. I just dont have faith in whats going on. You guys dont realize how difficult it is to keep a team on top like we have been for 5 or 6 years. You're going to be in for a big surprise if you think that a couple trades or signings in the offseason is going to take this team back to the top of the Western Conference. We could have easily rode it out for another 3 years and gambled on getting a championship that way. The chances were much higher in doing that. Plus they are the guys/team we loved to watch.
I don't know about that. It seems like in the NBA of today teams can be drastically changed over night. Look and the Suns. They basically had the same team last season and more than sucked. Nash comes in and they are automatic contenders. I think the Kings are left with more than enough remaining talent to still be serious contenders. The team blew up, but it didn't totally blow up. Our second wind is coming sooner than you think!!!

SacTownKid said:
I don't know about that. It seems like in the NBA of today teams can be drastically changed over night. Look and the Suns. They basically had the same team last season and more than sucked. Nash comes in and they are automatic contenders.
I don't know about that one either. The Suns are a year older. Amare is now a bonafide All-Star. They also signed Quintin Richardson. It wasn't an overnight type of thing.

I think the problem with the trade right now is that it HAS to be a work in progress. My problems with the trade are that 1. It doesn't solve our problems on defense and rebounding while killing our movement. 2. It doesn't provide ANY salary cap releif.

That being said, I think the only way this trade makes sense is if the new guys are trade fodder to package this offseason, so I guess I will withold judgement on it longterm until this offseason is over, but in the short term it certainly has drastically affected our chances at a title this year.

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
Lamar_Odom said:
I don't know about that one either. The Suns are a year older. Amare is now a bonafide All-Star. They also signed Quintin Richardson. It wasn't an overnight type of thing.
Well from one season to the next it was. They got the personell they needed to maximize the abilities of the talent they already had. I would put Sacramento in the same category. The Kings still have a ton of talent and I wouldn't for certain say they need that one thing to put them over the top, but maybe they already have it and aren't using it correctly.

People have used Phoenix as an example of an organization who was able to quickly rebuild, but their situation is not comparable to ours.

They were building around a young big man in Stoudemire, who has a lot of the things you want in an anchor. Everybody else was expendable for the right piece, and they made moves where they would have a lot of cap space to acquire parts in the off-season. We don't have any of those luxuries. They also have young, talented and cheap players. You can say they are comparable to what we were at the beginning of our run.

The guy I feel the most sorry for in these trades is the Coach. He has basically no say in who gets traded or who we get in return, but he has to find a way to make the team work. Stessful stuff..and, mostly, all Adelman gets from fans is calls for his dismissal. I want to say I appreciate all you've done for our team over these past years and wish you Good Luck in the rest of our season making this team work well together! GO ADELMAN!!!

EmKingsFan4 said:
The guy I feel the most sorry for in these trades is the Coach. He has basically no say in who gets traded or who we get in return, but he has to find a way to make the team work. Stessful stuff..and, mostly, all Adelman gets from fans is calls for his dismissal. I want to say I appreciate all you've done for our team over these past years and wish you Good Luck in the rest of our season making this team work well together! GO ADELMAN!!!
Word.

I've always said I wouldn't want anybody else coaching this team. He's just as much part of the "golden era" as guys like Webb and Vlade were. I don't think he'll be dismissed any time soon, but you never know ... it is a business afterall, however seeing him go would be sad.

Go Adelman !

SacTownKid said:
Well from one season to the next it was. They got the personell they needed to maximize the abilities of the talent they already had. I would put Sacramento in the same category. The Kings still have a ton of talent and I wouldn't for certain say they need that one thing to put them over the top, but maybe they already have it and aren't using it correctly.
I agree BUT Suns had a lot more flexibility with their salary cap than we have. They have Amare on a rookie contract and they cleared some big contract in Marbury and Penny for some expiring contracts and some draft picks. If we had room in the salary cap I would be more comfortable but the situation that we are in at the moment makes it a bit more difficult.