Thank you George Karl

Status
Not open for further replies.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
I wish George Karl the best. It's a shame for all parties that things didn't work out better during his tenure here. I hope he has a great time playing with the grandkids!

Thanks, George. Not a good gig for you or the team. Poor start, poor finish and poor n the middle and definitely not all your doing. Wishing you a good place to retire, a stool to put your feet on and good friends all around you.

K

KingMilz

Was doomed from the start imo never adjusted and never got the team he wanted to either, thanks for the effort and may he be healthy for some more years.

Hired and undermined from the start by Cousins. Then by the management. People here bashed him and said all kinds of rediculous things. Like he was this horrible person. Funny thing is I always saw a positive upbeat attitude from him in interviews no matter how bad things got. Players got really upset with him over some little thing he said. Sad situation that has gone on. But off we go. I hope the next coach can apease Cousins and everyone else.

Thank you Coach Karl for dealing with this situation as best you could.

Hired and undermined from the start by Cousins. Then by the management. People here bashed him and said all kinds of rediculous things. Like he was this horrible person. Funny thing is I always saw a positive upbeat attitude from him in interviews no matter how bad things got. Players got really upset with him over some little thing he said. Sad situation that has gone on. But off we go. I hope the next coach can apease Cousins and everyone else.

That's certainly one way to re-write history.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member

I'm pretty sure nobody said he was a horrible person. This is a basketball message board -- his popularity (or lack thereof) had everything to do with the job he was doing as coach of the Kings. I don't personally dislike any of the coaches we've fired. It's a tough job. It takes a lot of co-operation from the front office and the players to make it work and George Karl never had that. I'm not going to get into the reasons why here. I'm just hoping for a better atmosphere around the team next season and hoping that allowing the GM to pick their own coach for the first time in 3 years will help make that happen.

I'm pretty sure nobody said he was a horrible person. This is a basketball message board -- his popularity (or lack thereof) had everything to do with the job he was doing as coach of the Kings. I don't personally dislike any of the coaches we've fired. It's a tough job. It takes a lot of co-operation from the front office and the players to make it work and George Karl never had that. I'm not going to get into the reasons why here. I'm just hoping for a better atmosphere around the team next season and hoping that allowing the GM to pick their own coach for the first time in 3 years will help make that happen.
Only coach I had a real issue with was Keith smart

gunks

Hall of Famer
He did us wrong, but now he's gone.

I dunno if I can thank him, but I wish him the best now that he's outta here.

Enjoy retirement, George!

Snake = not a dig at his character?

Anyway, thanks coach. As OP mentioned, regardless of the turmoil or underachievement, it was still our best season in many many years. Shame it didn't work out, but things rarely do in life. Still had the best drawn up plays of any coach we've had since Adelman, especially out of the timeout. Wish you the best of health and a happy retirement.

Karl on the Kings is kind of testing the waters if he can still really coach at high level. But this clearly shows that the demand is this game is just too much for his body and psych.
Rest well George and please pay a visit to Pete in Denver and give him a split of the loot you got from Vivek.

I

Im Still Ballin

Great post. It's great to see some of the rational fans of this franchise. Nothing new here, just people trying to twist reality so that they can draw hope out of hopeless scenarios. All the rational fans know what the real problem is, and we'll be stuck in the quicksand until we deal with that problem. Can't wait til we're here next year in the same exact situation, contemplating firing a coach who should have never spun the Russian roulette and came here. My word of advice to free agents and coaches (the 3rd tier and no namer ones)... Don't come here. This roster is infected, and it'll smear onto you too. Wait until we call the bug guys and clean out the house.

Great post. It's great to see some of the rational fans of this franchise. Nothing new here, just people trying to twist reality so that they can draw hope out of hopeless scenarios. All the rational fans know what the real problem is, and we'll be stuck in the quicksand until we deal with that problem. Can't wait til we're here next year in the same exact situation, contemplating firing a coach who should have never spun the Russian roulette and came here. My word of advice to free agents and coaches (the 3rd tier and no namer ones)... Don't come here. This roster is infected, and it'll smear onto you too. Wait until we call the bug guys and clean out the house.
Ahhhh, so you guys are the rational ones. Got it......

Glenn

Hall of Famer
I take it you don't want the Kings to be a success.

I

Im Still Ballin

I take it you don't want the Kings to be a success.
Actually the opposite my friend. There's a problem and a coach isn't going to fix it. Maybe a life altering epiphany might, but it's far too late for that. The problem has about as much respect for this franchise and authority as an abusive boyfriend has for his spouse.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
This season went poorly and Karl certainly shoulders some of that blame but he's a lifer, a basketball junkie who is most at home in a gym. He was never going to leave willingly, he is most himself coaching a basketball team.

If indeed this is George Karl's last coaching gig it's an unfortunate end to a great career.

Regardless of the results, thanks coach for giving it a go and good health to you going forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.