Thanasis Antetokounmpo

I was suprised the Knicks waived him.
Explosive Athlete, who takes pride in his defense.
His jumpshot is still shaky and his handles are not that great, but if the Kings are still searching for an aggressive defender, who can guard SG/SF and a bit of PF, he is worth a look.
Once he develops a reliable 3point shot he fits the current idea of the defensive minded role player, staying out of the way on offense except spottin up in the corners and cutting to the basket, like a glove.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I'd offer him a D-League contract, which in all likelyhood he would turn down for more money in Europe. You summed it up. He can't shoot, or create for himself. He lacks the skill level to play in the NBA and contribute right now. He is a terrific athlete, but that's not enough.

K

KingMilz

Apparently the guy has not improved at all since his time in the NBDL/NBA and that''s why a number of Knicks D-League coaches were fired. I'm a lot more interested in Perry Jones III he I think last year showed good signs in actually important NBA games

Last edited by a moderator:
Apparently the guy has not improved at all since his time in the NBDL/NBA and that''s why a number of Knicks D-League coaches were fired. I'm a lot more interested in Perry Jones III he I think last year showed good signs in actually important NBA games
Problem with Jones III is that you get him for his offense and potential as a stretch 4/SF with terrific length.
But how will we defend big SG's and super athletic SF's?
Right now we are hoping that Ben will improve or we face a big hole in our team concept.
Our interior defense looks great, but our perimeter defense is still shaky and come playoff time we will pay for it.
Unless of course James Anderson steps up big time.

I'd offer him a D-League contract, which in all likelyhood he would turn down for more money in Europe. You summed it up. He can't shoot, or create for himself. He lacks the skill level to play in the NBA and contribute right now. He is a terrific athlete, but that's not enough.
It's obvious, that he is not the most skilled guy. But I keep asking myself, why we signed Acy and Dukan, while we are short on agressive defenders. This year we have a pretty solid core of skilled basketball players.
But I miss a guy on the roster, who we can use the way the Cavs used Dellavedova. A guy, who we can sub into the game with the purpose of really locking someone down.
Ideally this guy would be able to defend multiple positions, so being an athletic freak is a start.
I'm worried that we won't be able to beat a lot of Western conference teams with our offense alone, because Rondo and Willie/Koufos will cause some spacing issues in the starting lineup. So I believe we have to win most games on the defensive end or turn to Gay as the PF, while we sacrifice some of our interior defense.

So basically it's not about the Greek Freak 2.0, but more about looking for players available, who have the potential to become a defensive playmaker.
But hey - I'm repeating myself and maybe my worries are unfounded and the Kings prove me wrong. I certainly hope so.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
It's obvious, that he is not the most skilled guy. But I keep asking myself, why we signed Acy and Dukan, while we are short on agressive defenders. This year we have a pretty solid core of skilled basketball players.
But I miss a guy on the roster, who we can use the way the Cavs used Dellavedova. A guy, who we can sub into the game with the purpose of really locking someone down.
Ideally this guy would be able to defend multiple positions, so being an athletic freak is a start.
I'm worried that we won't be able to beat a lot of Western conference teams with our offense alone, because Rondo and Willie/Koufos will cause some spacing issues in the starting lineup. So I believe we have to win most games on the defensive end or turn to Gay as the PF, while we sacrifice some of our interior defense.

So basically it's not about the Greek Freak 2.0, but more about looking for players available, who have the potential to become a defensive playmaker.
But hey - I'm repeating myself and maybe my worries are unfounded and the Kings prove me wrong. I certainly hope so.
Right now, I'm more into the wait and see attitude. The one thing that leaped out at me at summer league was James Anderson's defense. It's nice to see that Karl noticed as well. Offensively he's still a bit of a work in progress. But he can hit the open three, so he can help space the floor, and he's a good ball handler who is good at getting to the basket and finishing. How that translates long term is debatable, but he can defend. Willie is an excellent defender. McLemore should be, but he continues to blow assignments in rotation. We ultimately may not be top five defensively, but I think we'll be a lot better than last season.

Why Acy and Dukan? I think they see long range potential in Dukan. Jury is still out in his case. Acy is just cheap insurance. He's a player that knows how to play and fit in. Probably won't see much playing time, but you don't feel like he's a liability out on the floor. Look, you can sit around and second guess just about every GM in the league. At the end of the day, it's the results that count. I can't judge what might be, I can only judge what is. And at the moment, we haven't played a game yet. But, its fun to what if any scenario.