Tech question

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I've been using Avast for anti-virus protection on my computer since I decided Norton wasn't worth the money. Lately I've had issues because Avast and Internet Explorer 11 apparently don't like each other much. I prefer to use Firefox but there are times when IE comes in handy.

My question is this: Would it be better for me to use Microsoft Security Essentials instead of Avast?

Any thoughts, suggestions, etc?

Local Best Buy Employee here.... Both Avast and Microsoft Security Essentials are pretty good, but overall Avast has more protective features and is less demanding on your computers resources. I'd stick with Avast. If possible try weening yourself off of Internet Explorer. All the problems I've ever had with viruses originated from using IE. Plus its slower than other browsers.

maybe use Chrome/Chromium as an alternative to Firefox if you need one? I've had some performance issues watching league pass with Firefox and Chromium solved those.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
It's an interesting question. I use Firefox and run across the occasional web site that only IE solves. I also use Norton. I'm not having any problems. Isn't Kaspersky (sp?) supposed to be very good. That's what I have been told. I'm not having any troubles so I'm not touching anything.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
maybe use Chrome/Chromium as an alternative to Firefox if you need one? I've had some performance issues watching league pass with Firefox and Chromium solved those.
I've pretty much decided to go with this. I like Avast, I like Firefox and I've had no problems at all with Chrome. IE, however, has been a recurring nightmare the entire time I've been on the Internet.

Thanks, all, for your comments. :)

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
I just use Chrome and Microsoft Security Essentials (and IE when I absolutely need to) and have had no problems at all.