Team USA Basketball

Out of the 21 players that will be working out with team USA, which 12 players would you like to see end up on the roster? The 21 players currently working out are: Chauncey Billups G Denver Tyson Chandler C Dallas Stephen Curry G Golden State Kevin Durant F-G Oklahoma City Tyreke Evans G Sacramento Rudy Gay F Memphis Eric Gordon G L.A. Clippers Danny Granger F-G Indiana Jeff Green F Oklahoma City Andre Iguodala G-F Philadelphia David Lee F-C Golden State Brook Lopez C New Jersey Robin Lopez C Phoenix Kevin Love F-C Minnesota O.J. Mayo G Memphis Lamar Odom F L.A. Lakers Rajon Rondo G Boston Derrick Rose G Chicago Amar'e Stoudemire F-C New York Gerald Wallace F Charlotte Russell Westbrook G Oklahoma City
With Team USA's best interesting in mind id like to see the 12 man roster consist of: Brooke Lopez, Tyson Chandler, Amare Stoudemire, Jeff Green, Kevin Durant, Danny Grander, Gerald Wallace, Andre Igoudala, Eric Gordon, Derrick Rose, Stephen Curry, Rajon Rondo.

The group of Lopez, Chandler, Stoudemire, Green is a nice mix that would allow for different looking lineups to be on the floor. Durant, Granger, Wallace, Igoudala give us the large freak athlete factor. Gordon, Rose, Curry, Rondo is a nice all around combo that provides playmaking, shooting, and defense. The one concern I have with this roster is shooting ability with the only deadly shooters being Gordon, Curry, and Durant. The front court has Stoudemire and Green who have the ability to shoot deep midrange shots. Also, there are only 2 legitimate centers on my roster. Of course, al of these players would see minutes in order for USA to constantly have fresh legs on the floor so Krzyzewski can use that duke pressure defense the entire game.

Edit - I originally confused the Lopez twins and stated id want Robin instead of Brooke. What up with them having unisex names anyway?

Last edited:
Good thread idea. Though, Tyson Chandler over Brook Lopez? At this point, I'd say Lopez's D is almost as good (or better, depending how banged up Chandler is), but he also has the ability to score 20 points a game (and with deep shooting range). In the interest of putting a group together now that would stay together through the Olympics, I'd also give preference to younger players, or at least guys who will be in their primes two years from now.

So, I'd probably go with:

C Robin Lopez
C/PF Brook Lopez
PF/C Amare Staudemire
PF David Lee
F Kevin Durant
F/G Danny Granger
F/G Andre Iguodala
G OJ Mayo
G Eric Gordon
G Stephen Curry
PG Derrick Rose
PG Rajon Rondo

Rondo, Iguodala and Robin Lopez are really the only poor shooters of the bunch, but each of them brings enough defense to the table that I couldn't leave them behind. Everyone else brings a game that's pretty well suited toward international competition. Versatile enough that you could go big or small well depending on the matchups, and young enough that they should stick together well through 2012. And even though it's a talented squad, you still have the unquestioned go-to alpha male in Durant.