TDOS Tropical Island IPOD Cover Draft - Round 20

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I was just looking at this one last night. Unfortunately, "My Way" was an original recording by Frak Sintra.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/My_Way_(song)

Although writen by Paul Anka, hesent it to Frank, and the Sinatra version is the orignal. Please choose another song El Paljasso :)
Agreed. It would be like calling The Star-Spangled Banner a cover because Francis Scott Key wrote new lyrics to an old tune.

I was just looking at this one last night. Unfortunately, "My Way" was an original recording by Frank Sintra.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/My_Way_(song)

Although writen by Paul Anka (with oiginal lyrics over a french tune), he sent it to Frank, and the Sinatra version is the orignal. Please choose another song El Paljasso :)
I had read that wikipedia and it was actully the reason why Ithought it was a cover because it containde this line: "He flew to Paris to negotiate the publishing rights."

But it knew it was still a iffy situation, so I except its rejection.

I'll change my pick to

Theme from New York, New York - Frank Sinatra

Original by Liza Minelli in 1977
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theme_from_New_York,_New_York

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
I had read that wikipedia and it was actully the reason why Ithought it was a cover because it containde this line: "He flew to Paris to negotiate the publishing rights."

But it knew it was still a iffy situation, so I except its rejection.

I'll change my pick to

Theme from New York, New York - Frank Sinatra

Original by Liza Minelli in 1977
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theme_from_New_York,_New_York
You were determined to get Old Blue Eyes this round eh? :)

Bricklayer

Larry...if you time out again Jespher is going to show up on your doorstep naked covered in lime green jello.

Its happened before. Don't let it happen again.

During the Music Artist Draft I watched a film entitled "It Might Get Loud", in which they visited the manor that this song was filmed in. The soul of this song hinges on the epic drum line laid down by John Bonham. Apparently, they had attempted to record this track in studio, and were unsatisfied with the result. When they were moving Bonham's drum kit into the house, they began setting it up in the wrong room, and the acoustics bounced off the vaulted 3 story stairwell with excellent reverberation.

I had never given this track much attention when listening to Led Zeppelin IV prior to watching that film, and I soon realized what I had been overlooking. Since then this track has made it onto my top playlist, and is a quick favorite when I need a bit of percussionist pick me up. With my 6th pick, I choose:

When the Levee Breaks - Led Zeppelin (1971) - Led Zeppelin IV

Original: When the Levee Breaks - Kansas Joe McCoy and Mississippi Minnie (1927)

More:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/When_the_Levee_Breaks

Last edited:
During the Music Artist Draft 2 years ago I watched a film entitled "It Might Get Loud", in which they visited the manor that this song was filmed in. ...
It Might Get Loud is an awesome film. Jimmy Page, The Edge (U2) and Jack White talking about guitaar playing and playing together.

Last edited:
Somehow I forgot about this one until recently. Technically, this is a medley of two songs, but appears as one. The original version was written by Rudy Toombs and recorded by Amos Milburn in 1953 called "One Scotch, One Bourbon, One Beer." Then in 1966 John Lee Hooker recorded it as "One Bourbon, One Scotch, One Beer". This is the version George Thorogood recorded in 1977. The intro back story is called "House Rent Blues" and is another John Lee Hooker song and rather brilliantly sets up the situation .

George Thorogood, One Bourbon, One Scotch, One Beer, 1977

John Lee Hooker, 1966

Last edited:

Bricklayer

A great cover of one of my favorite Simon & Garfunkel songs:

The Boxer -- Mumford & Sons (2012)

Now I say Mumford & Sons, because this is the version that appeared on their 2012 album and that is Mumford's lead singer, but there are actually a lot of people involved in that. Jerry Douglas is featured, as well as Paul Simon himself on this version. Meanwhile Douglas does this song sometimes with Mumford backing him up rather than the other way around, and in concert various other folk figures have joined in. But in any case, it was Simon's song, and this is Mumford's version.

Original Simon & Garfunkel:

Anyhow, I'm at work, but I remembered what's coming up on my list and don't want to leave everyone waiting so I'll make these quick and expand when I get home. (When I get home, two days later, same difference...)

To close out this round I'll be taking one of my very favorites:

"Bang Bang (My Baby Shot Me Down)" -- Nancy Sinatra
on How Does That Grab You?, 1966.
Originally recorded by Cher, also 1966.

I love me some cheesy 1960s Nancy Sinatra. In fact, my favorite song in all of the Elvis movies is one sung/performed by Nancy. Add in the guitar work by Billy Strange and this version is just about perfect in my book.

Original version:

Last edited:
And to start the next round I'm taking:

"Stone Cold Crazy" -- Eleven, featuring Josh Homme
on Killer Queen: A Tribute to Queen, 2005.
Originally written and recorded by Queen, 1974.

While the first of my requisite Homme-related picks in this draft was taken specifically because I love the addition of his vocals to an otherwise unchanged great song, this pick is made because of how much the group deviated from the original. Much as I adore Queen's version for what it is, and much as a generally dislike tribute albums, I fell in love this cover as soon as I heard the slowed tempo and Homme/Johannes griminess.

Original version:

Last edited:

Bricklayer

Next up, a group covering one of the few songs I really liked from a band I really have never liked and doing something really unique with it:

I love cellos. Maybe my favorite of all the instruments for its ability to just instantly evoke mood, and boy did they find a famous song just built for them here. I actually discovered this cover I think through this very website. Don't remember who it was who posted it, don't know if they are one of the people in this draft, but decided not to wait around and find out the wrong way.

Here is the original Pink Floyd version:

For this pick, I'm going with In My Time of Dying. It was originally done in 1927 by Blind Willie Johnson. It's also been known as Jesus Make Up My Dying Bed. Bob Dylan has a version from his first album in 1962.

The BEST version is this one, and this live version right here is why Zeppelin are legends. Sounding only vaguely similar to the original, and stretching it out to 11 minutes without an extended jam at any point, as well as adding a few improvised verses, here we are... The studio version is also great, but this is Zeppelin at their finest. John Bonham is just relentless. This is other worldly stuff, quite possibly my favorite live performance of all time. Just off the charts. Have I hyped it enough? Jimmy Page owns the slide guitar on this one. Robert Plant is in full Golden God mode begging St. Peter for entry into heaven. Using your computer speakers won't do this justice. Get the DVD.

Led Zeppelin, In My Time of Dying, 1975 (Earl's Court)

Blind Willie Johnson, 1927

Last edited:
Taking it downs a notch, I want to add an instrumental track, and who better to fill this niche than Stevie Ray Vaughan. You can tell his guitar mastery with his refrain and subtlety, bringing whispers to the conversation when one would expect thunderous vibrato. With my 7th pick, I select:

Little Wing - Stevie Ray Vaughan (1990) The Sky is Falling

Original: Little Wing - Jimi Hendrix (1967) Axis: Bold as Love

More: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Sky_Is_Crying_(album)

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
I'm surprised this song has lasted as long as it did - it was one of the more high-profile covers of my adolescence. Maybe it's just that my age is showing!

Higher Ground by Red Hot Chili Peppers (1989, on Mother's Milk)

Original by Stevie Wonder, released on Innervisions (1973)

The Red Hot Chili Peppers had released three albums to little fanfare when they hit on an idea - take one of the greatest classic funk songs and nail it with a funk rock cover, then release that cover as your first single. It totally worked, and it's probably hard to argue that Higher Ground wasn't the single biggest factor in launching the band to superstardom.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
I was wondering when that one would come off the board.

Mother's Milk is an interesting record. The first RHCP album following Hillel Slovak's death and Jack Iron's departure (he'd later join Pearl Jam) with Chad Smith and John Frusciante.

And it was the only record where Frusciante didn't really have control over his own sound/tone. He was a teenager and while he grew up playing punk, classic rock (Jeff Beck, Jimmy Page, Jimi Hendrix) and especially Frank Zappa, the producer pushed and prodded him into a heavy metal, "wall of Marshall stacks" type tone for the album complete with the requisite big power chords.

That sound was part of what made Higher Ground work as a cover and single because it pushed it far from the Clavinet through a MuTron III tone of Stevie's original and into something much more aggressive sounding, but the reality is that Frusciante was always a far more nuanced musician than that first album let him express. But as a time capsule Higher Ground very much captures the punk meets funk aesthetic that the early Chili Peppers (especially Flea) were always striving for.

Last edited:

Larry89

Disgruntled Kings Fan
First and foremost I would like to apologize for timing out again. I went on vacation/volunteering in a country with poor internet infrastructure and I tried my best to keep up. I will be leaving again soon as I just arrived back in the United States.

I would advice Jespher to shorten my time out clock to 8 hours. It will be best for all drafters avilable as the draft wont come to a halt for one person. I will try my best to do make up picks in a timely fashion if I do miss anymore.

Also, something terrifying happened to me when I was away.. I woke up one morning to a naked man covered in jello standing over my bed.. Im not sure what has happened to him he ran away, but he whispered something along the lines of.. "the man with the bat sends his regards"?

My make up picks.

Alabama Song - The Doors

"Alabama Song (Whisky Bar)"
Song by The Doors from the album The Doors
Released January 4, 1967
Recorded August 1966
Genre Psychedelic rock
Length 3:20
Label Elektra
Composer Bertolt Brecht
Kurt Weill
Producer Paul A. Rothchild

Alabama Song - Lotte Lenya

The "Alabama Song" (also known as "Whisky Bar," "Moon over Alabama," or "Moon of Alabama") was originally published as a poem in Bertolt Brecht's Hauspostille (1927). It was set to music by Kurt Weill for the 1927 "Songspiel" Mahagonny and used again in Weill's and Brecht's 1930 opera Aufstieg und Fall der Stadt Mahagonny (Rise and Fall of the City of Mahagonny.) In the latter, it is performed by the character Jenny and her fellow prostitutes in the first act. The song was first performed and recorded by the Viennese actress and dancer Lotte Lenya (Weill's wife). She first publicly sang the song as the character Jessie in the 1927 Baden-Baden Festival performance of Mahagonny Songspiel. Lenya first recorded the song in 1930 for the Ultraphon record label. This recording was released to coincide with the Leipzig premiere of Aufstieg und Fall der Stadt Mahagonny despite the fact that Lenya was not a member of the cast. Lenya continued to perform and record the song throughout her life. Later Lenya recordings include one made for the 1955 album, "Lotte Lenya singt Kurt Weill" (released in the United States as "Berlin Theater Songs")

Second Make Up Pick

Crossroads - Cream

Single by Cream
from the album Wheels of Fire
B-side "Passing the Time"
Released 1969
Format 7" 45 rpm record
Recorded Winterland Ballroom, San Francisco March 10, 1968 (1st show)
Genre Hard rock, blues rock
Length 4:16
Label Atco (no. 45-6646)
Writer(s) Robert Johnson
Producer(s) Felix Pappalardi

"Cross Road Blues" (more commonly known as "Crossroads") is a blues song written and recorded by American blues artist Robert Johnson in 1936. It is a solo performance in the Delta blues-style with Johnson's vocal accompanied by his acoustic slide guitar. Although its lyrics do not contain any specific references, the song has become part of the Robert Johnson mythology as referring to the place where he supposedly sold his soul to the devil in exchange for his musical talents.

Cross Road Blues - Robert Johnson

Single by Robert Johnson
B-side "Ramblin' on My Mind"
Released May 1937
Format 10" 78 rpm record
Recorded Gunter Hotel, San Antonio, Texas November 27, 1936
Genre Blues
Length 2:39
Label Vocalion (cat. no. 03519)
Writer(s) Robert Johnson
Producer(s) Don Law

1986, Robert Johnson's "Cross Road Blues" was inducted into the Blues Foundation Hall of Fame, noting that "regardless of mythology and rock 'n' roll renditions, Johnson's record was indeed a powerful one, a song that would stand the test of time on its own".In 1998, it received a Grammy Hall of Fame Award, which "honors recordings of lasting qualitative or historical significance".In 1995, Cream's "Crossroads" was included on the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame's list of the "500 Songs That Shaped Rock and Roll".Rolling Stone magazine placed it at number three on its "Greatest Guitar Songs of All Time".