TDOS Tropical Island IPOD Cover Draft - Round 20

With this pick I'm going with what was originally a traditional Bahamian folk song titled the John B. sails, first published in 1927. The cover here is of the Kingston Trio's version from 1958. From one of the all-time great albums, Brian Wilson's masterpiece, Pet Sounds, this song has always been a personal favorite. This track has the distinction of being the only song off Pet Sounds not written by Brian Wilson. With lyrics slightly changed (this is the worst trip I've ever been on) that gave the whole thing a psychedelic feel, I present...

Beach Boys, Sloop John B, Pet Sounds, 1966

Kingston Trio, 1958

Larry89

Disgruntled Kings Fan
Sorry guys, I was on earlier before my time out time trying to get my post up, but the computer I was on was so old and slow it couldnt even load the last page due to all the flash videos embedded on it. I will have my pick coming in a moment

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Sorry guys, I was on earlier before my time out time trying to get my post up, but the computer I was on was so old and slow it couldnt even load the last page due to all the flash videos embedded on it. I will have my pick coming in a moment
Yeah, that stuff gets really rough on just about every computer I have access to. It's the reason I don't include an embed of the original, but I'll put up a link if I think it's relevant.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Ok, sorry for the delay. Unlike CERTAIN people in this draft I've been trying to be timely. :p

One of the reasons for the delay was I didn't really know what I wanted to do here. Much of it felt like I was going to be repeating myself or going back to artists I'd already tapped once. I hope/believe this one is legal as I've had it on my list ever since 63 Royals took its predecessor in rnd 1:

Me & Bobby McGee -- Pink (2008)

I caught on to Pink somewhere in the mid-2000s. I'd always appreciated her attitude, but it was when I first started realizing that she was a hell of a singer with tastes that ran far beyond pop that I really started to get interested. This is about as good a cover...of a cover, as you are going to find. Perhaps all that's missing is the sense that Janis Joplin was pretty much a ruined person hooked on heroin, alcohol, and headed down. There's an inherent sadness to her stuff because of it. Pink on the other hand is vivacious and having fun. It lends a different tone to the song even if the notes are the same.

As I say, I think/hope this is legal. I've been avoiding live covers that were never recorded, but this was part of AOL's Sessions series, and may or may not have appeared ina recording somewhere for them. Otherwise, its just the video/studio evidence.

Bricklayer

Yeah, that stuff gets really rough on just about every computer I have access to. It's the reason I don't include an embed of the original, but I'll put up a link if I think it's relevant.
Been noticing that too. Note that there should be an option so that you can set how many replies per page of the thread that would allow you to for instance only see 10 replaies at a time, and hopefully not get slowed down. Have not found it yet though, if it exists.

Last edited:
Short and sweet because I should be sleeping right now. Closing out round 16:

"Guns of Brixton" -- Nouvelle Vague, on Nouvelle Vague, 2004
Originally written (Paul Simonon) and recorded by The Clash, 1979

I can't defend or deny any of the criticisms thrown at Nouvelle Vague, the experimental cover group behind this track (French singers doing vaguely Bossa Nova covers of New Wave hits, get it?). There IS a ton of hipster pretension behind their formation. And their covers DO tend to frequently miss the point of the songs being covered. But on a purely sonic level, I love their stuff. Took me a while to decide which of their tracks to take here, but ultimately settled on the one that first captured my attention.

Original version:

And to start round 17:

"It's Only Make Believe" -- Fiona Apple, unreleased, but performed regularly as closer on most recent tour
Originally written and recorded by Conway Twitty, 1958

I know Brick is awaiting decision on a similar pick, so I can change this if it's decided an unreleased but oft performed/recorded cover is ineligible, but I just couldn't give up on this cover completely. As my past music draft selections will show, I am fully and emphatically in Fiona's camp. Was lucky enough to see her perform this one live, and with almost as close a vantage point as the linked video, and was just blown away by her rendition.

Original version:

Bricklayer

I think I'll go a little different way here:

Somebody That I Used to Know -- Pentatonix (2012)

I developed a taste for a cappella at Penn, which has always had a very active a cappella scene with troupes that have a century or more of history behind them. But I don't remember any of them being quite this cool. The dual rhythm section for these guys is just tops. Unfortunately their musical taste seems largely centered around covering recent pop songs, so I went with one that is catchy at least.

2011 Original (which has over half a BILLION hits on youtube btw -- jeesh)

I guess I don't have enough drinking songs, so here's another. It's a traditional Irish folk song as channelled through Thin Lizzy from 1972.

Whiskey in the Jar, Metallica, 1998

Thin Lizzy, 1972

Last edited:
Good song, but the Thin Lizzy version isn't the original. It's a traditional Irish folk song that probably originated in the 17th century according to the Wikipedia article (click here).
I never claimed it was the original. They're covering the Thin Lizzy version. Just didn't have time to write it up. I'll fix it.

Sorry couldn't find the version from the 17th century. I don't think it'd have the same guitar riff Metallica used though. ;)

Last edited:

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
For my 17th pick I'm going to select a song that, at least according to YouTube hits, apparently isn't very popular.

The Candy Man by Cibo Matto (1996 on Viva! La Woman)

Originally written by Leslie Bricusse and Anthony Newley, first appeared in the film Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory (1971)

The original here is actually rather creepy (click, if you dare!). We've got a middle-aged man who owns a candy shop next door to an elementary school and apparently does nothing but give away candy to all the kids that he knows by name while singing show tunes and letting them run off to the back room to pillage his stock. I mean, if they even looked like they had any intent whatsoever to buy the candy it might be a bit less awkward. Cibo Matto's version at least strips all of the uncomfortable out of the song by giving it a nice little trip-hop groove and having Miho Hatori sing the song with her thick Japanese accent. It seems a bit of an odd selection for a cover song until you realize (and it takes a couple of listens) that the entire album is about nothing but food. Then, it makes sense. And it's just a nice, chill cover of a song that one wouldn't normally seek out covers of (even though one actually did go to number one way back when).

Can someone please PM entity for me? Skip me, I'm in a mad hurry. Don't want to hold this thing up. I'll be back in a few hours to make my pick. Thanks guys.

Can someone please PM entity for me? Skip me, I'm in a mad hurry. Don't want to hold this thing up. I'll be back in a few hours to make my pick. Thanks guys.

Summertime Blues - The Who (1970)
"the only song we do by another composer, so you bet your life that it's good"

--is a song co-written and recorded by American rockabilly artist Eddie Cochran.[2] It was written in the late 1950s by Cochran and his manager Jerry Capehart. Originally a single B-side, it was released in August 1958 (Wiki)
For me it was pretty much a coin flip between two great songs from Live at Leeds, Young Man Blues and this song. I found the quote about 'the only song we do by another composer' to be kind of odd, because Live at Leeds has 4 cover songs. That album also has some stuff that became part of Tommy, and I think that once they had done Tommy and Quadrophenia, they had enough of their own material that they didn't need to fill out their shows with covers. I saw them on the Quadrophenia tour and, while I don't have a set list, my recollection is they did just their own material. They might have done Summertime Blues; that might be the context for that quote.

For me it was pretty much a coin flip between two great songs from Live at Leeds, Young Man Blues and this song. I found the quote about 'the only song we do by another composer' to be kind of odd, because Live at Leeds has 4 cover songs. That album also has some stuff that became part of Tommy, and I think that once they had done Tommy and Quadrophenia, they had enough of their own material that they didn't need to fill out their shows with covers. I saw them on the Quadrophenia tour and, while I don't have a set list, my recollection is they did just their own material. They might have done Summertime Blues; that might be the context for that quote.
This video is (according to the uploader) from their performance in Silverdome, Pontiac, Mi. 12-06-1975.
As for setlists, I often use www.setlist.fm, I'm pretty sure the show you attended will be listed there. Unfortunately the show of this youtube-video isn't, but I don't think Roger Daltrey would make that mistake.

I had the same debates and somehow needed up taking neither. Whoops!

I did get my who fix as channeled through pearl jam, so it's ok I guess. :)

This video is (according to the uploader) from their performance in Silverdome, Pontiac, Mi. 12-06-1975.
As for setlists, I often use www.setlist.fm, I'm pretty sure the show you attended will be listed there. Unfortunately the show of this youtube-video isn't, but I don't think Roger Daltrey would make that mistake.
Thanks for the link. The show I saw was at Capital Center in Landover, Maryland and was either 12/6/1973 or 8/3/1976. At both shows, Summertime Blues was the only cover song they played. (link to 12/6/1973 set list / link to 8/3/1976 set list)

Last edited:
It's been over 24 hours so I'm going to go ahead and select ...

I'm Shakin' -- Jack White (2012)

I was thinking about what songs have I missed in this draft and I had one of those forehead-smacking moments when I remembered this one. Jack White was on Austin City Limits not too long ago, and he played the first half of the show with his male band, and the second half of the show with his female band. Well worth watching if you can find it, and it effectively makes the point that women can do more than just stand there and sing. In this video, best I've seen in the last few years, he has the two bands facing each other while playing the song. Great stuff.

The song was written by Rudy Toombs. The earliest version I could find was from 1960 by Little Willie John:

For my 17th pick, I select:

Bad Company - Five Finger Death Punch

The Original:

Release date: 2009
Album: War Is The Answer
Original Artist: Bad Company
Original Release Date: 1974

Sorry about another time out... again...

I select:

500 Miles by the Innocence Mission (Originally by Hedy West/traditional song)
Karin Peris' voice is absolutely haunting on this beautiful cover.