TDOS Tropical Island IPOD Cover Draft - Round 20

In a hurry so will keep this short:

Wheatus - A Little Respect (2000)
Original by Erasure (1988)

Love this cover - don't think this song would have been taken at all but I couldn't live without it on my island.

Capt is now up!

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
With my next pick I select:

I Don't Like Mondays by Tori Amos (2001, on Strange Little Girls)

Originally written and recorded by The Boomtown Rats (1979)

If anybody doesn't know the story behind this song, back in 1979 in San Diego a 16-year-old girl who lived across the street from an elementary school went on a shooting spree, and when asked why she did it, her response was "I don't like Mondays." For all of its fame I'm not a huge fan of the original song, as it just doesn't seem to capture the gravity of the event - the lyrics are obscure enough that the upbeat tune has apparently convinced many that it's a song about not wanting to go in to work after the weekend. Amos slows it down and gives it a little bit of the heft that the original didn't have.

With my next pick I select:

I Don't Like Mondays by Tori Amos (2001, on Strange Little Girls)

Originally written and recorded by The Boomtown Rats (1979)

If anybody doesn't know the story behind this song, back in 1979 in San Diego a 16-year-old girl who lived across the street from an elementary school went on a shooting spree, and when asked why she did it, her response was "I don't like Mondays." For all of its fame I'm not a huge fan of the original song, as it just doesn't seem to capture the gravity of the event - the lyrics are obscure enough that the upbeat tune has apparently convinced many that it's a song about not wanting to go in to work after the weekend. Amos slows it down and gives it a little bit of the heft that the original didn't have.
As an aside, I found this interesting as I didn't know anything about the subject. Have to admit I thought it was just a song about Mondays and how they, you know, suck (which they do). I'm actually a little shocked... Are you sure the Rats covered it with this topic in mind? The way they sang it does indeed make it seem like it's about the dreaded Monday blues.

In a word ... yes.
After reading a little about it, you guys are obviously right. Crazy to me, as that would sometimes be played on Monday mornings as I was being driven to school as a 13 year old (about 10 years ago as opposed to 40+ years ago), and I'd no idea what it was actually about. Interesting stuff. :)

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
In a hurry so will keep this short:

Wheatus - A Little Respect (2000)
Original by Erasure (1988)

Love this cover - don't think this song would have been taken at all but I couldn't live without it on my island.

Capt is now up!
I like the original better, but then again, my musical tastes are not for everyone!

Seeing as I'll be on an island alone, without friends, family, conversation, or contact with the outside world, I'm sure loneliness will ensue. Therefore, I should pick a hopeful song that would allow me to remember that there are millions of people isolated in the world. Just like me...

With my 14th selection, I choose:

Message in a Bottle (acoustic) - John Mayer (2003) Any Given Thursday

Original - The Police - Raggatta de Blanc (1979)

More: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Message_in_a_Bottle_(song)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Any_Given_Thursday

Last edited:
It has recently been brought to my attention that there is no Country OR Western music in my ipod thus far. I think now is the time to fix that. This song is extremely well known and has already been taken in this draft way back in the 3rd round where, as I learned about 5 minutes ago, the song listed as the original was NOT the original iconic version. While most definitely the iconic version, it is not the original version. That honor belongs to Anita Carter. Recorded as (Love's) Ring of Fire, I present, first, my pick, the cover version of (Love's) Ring of Fire...

Johnny Cash, Ring of Fire (cover), 1963
Anita Carter (Love's) Ring of Fire (original), 1962

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat

Can't Help Falling In Love -- UB40 (1993)

This apparently is either a love it or hate it cover. I always rather liked it. The reggae treatment really freshens it up and gives the song a rhythmic kick. In some ways I suppose my 3rd straight island song, even if in this case its the British Isles. :)

Here's the original from some dude named Elvira or something:

Will make this quick since I'm posting from work. To close out the 14th, I'm going scream-y:

"I Put a Spell on You" -- Marilyn Manson, on Smells Like Children, 1995
Originally written and recorded by Screamin' Jay Hawkins, 1955

This is a song that has been covered a bazillion times, by good artists, without ever getting even a little bit close to Hawkins' level of awesome. Manson's version doesn't get there either, if I'm honest. The histrionics make it impossible for me to ever call Manson a good artist (even if he's one I've enjoyed occasionally), and the high level of cliche keeps me from calling this a good cover without reservations, but damned if I don't really, really like it. Always have. Long before I thought there was the slightest of possibilities I'd find Marilyn Manson anything other than insufferable, I liked this track. So, in short, I'm not proud of this selection, but I stand by it.

Original version:

And to start the 15th, I'm going in a slightly different direction:

"Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood" -- The Animals, released as a single, 1965
Originally recorded by Nina Simone, 1964

Though, not as different a direction as I initially intended. Confession time: I was originally planning to make this pick in the opposite order, having reversed the years/order in my head at some point and remembering it wrong all this time. No matter. I love both versions, so I'm fine with making the switch.

Original version:

you guys should like say something about her choices just so she doesn't think you are all being rude. Or possibly dead. :p
Or fallen asleep waiting for train to loop back around. . .

And to start the 15th, I'm going in a slightly different direction:

"Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood" -- The Animals, released as a single, 1965
Originally recorded by Nina Simone, 1964

Though, not as different a direction as I initially intended. Confession time: I was originally planning to make this pick in the opposite order, having reversed the years/order in my head at some point and remembering it wrong all this time. No matter. I love both versions, so I'm fine with making the switch.

Original version:
I had this one on my list, and I really, really like the Animals version but I guess I'm just too much of a Nina Simone fan to pick it.

One of my friends was convinced that the Animals song was from the point of view of a physically abusive husband/boyfriend trying to whitewash his abuse and convince his girlfriend/wife to stay with him. I told her it was written for a woman to sing but to no avail. I don't believe for an instant that the Animals had that thought in mind but honestly from the lyrics and with a male singing it, I can see how somebody could jump to that conclusion.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
One of the reasons I was able to let With a Little Help From Your Friends go earlier in this draft was because I knew I wanted to take this lesser known Cocker cover later on:

Have a Little Faith In Me -- Joe Cocker (1994)

the 1987 original by respected-but-largely-doomed-to-have-his stuff-made-famous-by-better-known-artists John Hiatt:

Last edited:
I knew someone would, and should, take that song, but it weren't going to be me. Hiatt's original is on the iPod I've had to listen to at work for the last two years; I've experience to know my sanity wouldn't last long if it was one of only 20 songs I could hear for eternity.

For my next pick I select Natalie Maines covering Pink Floyd's Mother. Surprisingly good, is the best way to describe it. The effect of having a woman voice sing both parts (instead of two men) changes the mother from the oppressive overbearing Pink Floyd nightmare to a more pleading, sympathetic, apologetic almost, version. Maines, as a real mother, adds a depth to the song I hadn't previously considered.

Natalie Maines, Mother, 2013

And I'm going to cheat and play Roger Waters nowish.

Pink Floyd, 1979

Time to add some music from this century. This next piece was recorded for the Girl with the Dragon Tatoo opening sequence. This version modifies the viking hubris of Robert Plant's vocals to a horrific hunger/thirst for destruction. More angry tunes to pass the time along on my island, I guess. With my 15th selection, I choose:

Immigrant Song - Trent Rezner, Karen O, and Atticus Ross (2011) The Girl With The Dragon Tatoo Soundtrack

Original: Led Zeppelin (1970) - Album = Led Zeppelin

More: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Immigrant_Song

Larry89

Disgruntled Kings Fan
I have been incredibly busy these past two weeks... I noticed my list was missing some acoustic..

with my next selection I will select..

Orion - Rodrigo y Gabriela (2006)

A beautiful cover of one of my most beloved instrumentals by Metallica, it really encapsulates the musical genius of James Hetfield, Lars Ulrich, and most notably, Cliff Burton.

Original

Orion - Metallica (1986) off the Master of Puppets Album

Capt. Factorial

Staff member
Time to add some music from this century. This next piece was recorded for the Girl with the Dragon Tatoo opening sequence. This version modifies the viking hubris of Robert Plant's vocals to a horrific hunger/thirst for destruction. More angry tunes to pass the time along on my island, I guess. With my 15th selection, I choose:

Immigrant Song - Trent Rezner, Karen O, and Atticus Ross (2011) The Girl With The Dragon Tatoo Soundtrack[
Extra points for that one. I remember being bowled over by that cover through the opening credits of the film, but it didn't occur to me when putting together a list. It takes one of the grittiest Led Zeppelin songs, and makes it about ten times grittier. Quite an effort.

Last edited by a moderator:
Extra points for that one. I remember being bowled over by that cover through the opening credits of the film, but it didn't occur to me when putting together a list. It takes one of the grittiest Led Zeppelin songs, and makes it about ten times grittier. Quite an effort.
I'd forgotten that one. But I did have this version way down on my list:

Capt. Factorial

Staff member
For my next pick I select:

The Loved One by INXS (on Kick, 1987)

Originally written and recorded by The Loved Ones (yep, same name), 1966.

Just last night I was thinking over some of my final picks and trying to find an excuse to boot one of them off of the island. And I got this vague recollection..."Is one of the middle songs off of Kick a cover?" (The middle part of Kick being one of the great underappreciated stretches of music in my opinion.) And sure enough that stretch is kicked off by "The Loved One", which does turn out to be a cover of a '60s Aussie radio hit by a band that either named the song after themselves or named themselves after the song, who knows which (right, Bad Company?) Oddly enough, the original song is a jarring little mess, with a terrible vocal track and an incongruous syncopation of the guitar track (link here) - it's a wonder to me that it made the radio at all. But INXS found the good in the song and rearranged it to bring that out. I like the song enough that when I realized it was a cover it basically shoved its way onto my list, but when I heard the original I realized just how much of a contribution INXS made and at that point it jumped the queue.

I will select:

Love is All Around (from MTV Unplugged)- R.E.M. (originally by the Troggs)

As a kid, it took me a long time to find the Radio Song maxi-single that had this song as a b-side, but it is one of my all-time favorite R.E.M. songs.

Great band covers great song... hard to miss. Also, I think I like the songs Mike Mills sings over Michael Stipe (like this one), but that is just me...