TDOS Tropical Island IPOD Cover Draft - Round 20

I am gonna guess that if Nina Persson wasn't good looking, this pick doesn't happen.
:rolleyes:

no, sir, i just love the Cardigans. what in my draft order (or in my posting history at kf.com, in general) offers any kind of suggestion of chauvinism? i've made four picks thus far from bands fronted by female musicians, and two picks thus far from male-fronted bands covering female musicians. the physical appearance of the women in question had nothing to do with those selections, just as Nina Persson's physical appearance has nothing to do with my last selection. that said, i'll freely admit to being extremely attracted to her voice.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Seriously? C'mon... how can it not have something to do with it in a larger way. I am not saying it is wrong or that I don't do it... I am just pointing it out.
I've come to know Padrino's musical tastes pretty well during all the years he's been part of the board. As an unbiased observer of this draft, I think I can assure you he's not that shallow.

Seriously? C'mon... how can it not have something to do with it in a larger way. I am not saying it is wrong or that I don't do it... I am just pointing it out.
VERY easily. music is a tremendous part of my life; i enjoy making it, i surround myself with it, and i've even been paid to write about it on occasion. but i don't spend my days thinking about how attractive a female musician may or may not be while i'm listening to her music. i don't fantasize about attractive female musicians as if they're singing a siren's song just for me. and i don't spend a single second of my time giving weight to such considerations as i make my picks in this draft...

if you'd like further clarity on the subject, i also don't think about how attractive a female author may or may not be when i'm reading her work, and i don't think about how attractive a female visual artist may or may not be when i'm admiring her work. believe it or not, i value the art that a great many women bring into the world, and i find female artists to be much greater than the sum total of their ability to please my eyes. oh, and for the record, it is wrong to reduce a woman down to her ability to please a man's eyes, particularly when that woman has plenty to offer the world outside of her appearance...

that you're making these assumptions about my motivations is, frankly, more than just a little bit presumptuous. i've argued with a lotta posters about a lotta topics at kf.com over the years, and i've even been insulted in a number of different (if not always terribly creative) ways, but i can't recall ever being accused of outright male chauvinism, as if it's beyond my ability to enjoy and appreciate a woman's contribution to larger cultural interests without first coming to some determination about her physical appearance. this line of thinking that you're intent on pursuing is offensive to me, and i have to imagine that it's going to be offensive to the female members of this board, as well...

yes, i am a warm-blooded male who finds lots of women to be exceedingly attractive, but i'm not a f***ing cave man. i'm a well-educated and reasonably-cultured individual who is fully capable of looking beyond the factors of conventional beauty. that said, if you are interested in making your picks in this draft based on considerations of physical appearance, that's your business. it's not mine.

i'm rather excited about this pick. it allows me to introduce KF.com to my single favorite new artist. Until the Ribbon Breaks released their debut EP last year, and upon its release, i wrote that it featured "a sound I've been waiting to hear without even realizing it. The production is minimal and celestial; it's future-bent R&B, and there's something so beautifully fragile and far-away about Pete Winfield's voice, as if the man behind Until the Ribbon Breaks is singing from the other side of a bulkhead on a starship that's departing for a very lonely place." the cover that follows could easily be encompassed in the above description, as well. it was released just yesterday, in fact, and i've been listening to it non-stop since then:

Until the Ribbon Breaks - "Addicted to Love" (Robert Palmer cover) [2014]:
Well that solves a minor mystery for me. I remember when NPR did a feature on Until the Ribbon Breaks and REALLY enjoying the song snippets they played. IIRC he (like Caribou or Squarepusher it's a one man production right?) was the one that had film footage playing on mute while he worked on songs. I remembered the interview but forgot the artist/band name by the time I got home from my commute and soon forgot to look it up on NPR. Listening to some tracks now.

As for Robert Palmer, the mannequin/model videos (there was "Simply Irresistable" as well) helped make those songs bigger hits than they otherwise would have been but they also associated him solely with that imagery which short changes him as an artist. Palmer wove together a variety of sounds into a cohesive whole and remains an underrated vocalist. But the lasting image of him is as caricature of the 80's via those videos.

His solo album is full of Nawlin's inspired laid back grooves and with good reason. His backing band was the freaking Meters and the record was produced by Lowell George. I think it's a fantastic album.

VERY easily. music is a tremendous part of my life; i enjoy making it, i surround myself with it, and i've even been paid to write about it on occasion. but i don't spend my days thinking about how attractive a female musician may or may not be while i'm listening to her music. i don't fantasize about attractive female musicians as if they're singing a siren's song just for me. and i don't spend a single second of my time giving weight to such considerations as i make my picks in this draft...

if you'd like further clarity on the subject, i also don't think about how attractive a female author may or may not be when i'm reading her work, and i don't think about how attractive a female visual artist may or may not be when i'm admiring her work. believe it or not, i value the art that a great many women bring into the world, and i find female artists to be much greater than the sum total of their ability to please my eyes. oh, and for the record, it is wrong to reduce a woman down to her ability to please a man's eyes, particularly when that woman has plenty to offer the world outside of her appearance...

that you're making these assumptions about my motivations is, frankly, more than just a little bit presumptuous. i've argued with a lotta posters about a lotta topics at kf.com over the years, and i've even been insulted in a number of different (if not always terribly creative) ways, but i can't recall ever being accused of outright male chauvinism, as if it's beyond my ability to enjoy and appreciate a woman's contribution to larger cultural interests without first coming to some determination about her physical appearance. this line of thinking that you're intent on pursuing is offensive to me, and i have to imagine that it's going to be offensive to the female members of this board, as well...

yes, i am a warm-blooded male who finds lots of women to be exceedingly attractive, but i'm not a f***ing cave man. i'm a well-educated and reasonably-cultured individual who is fully capable of looking beyond the factors of conventional beauty. that said, if you are interested in making your picks in this draft based on considerations of physical appearance, that's your business. it's not mine.
I've been advised by my attorney not to make any additional comments.

Well that solves a minor mystery for me. I remember when NPR did a feature on Until the Ribbon Breaks and REALLY enjoying the song snippets they played. IIRC he (like Caribou or Squarepusher it's a one man production right?) was the one that had film footage playing on mute while he worked on songs. I remembered the interview but forgot the artist/band name by the time I got home from my commute and soon forgot to look it up on NPR. Listening to some tracks now.

As for Robert Palmer, the mannequin/model videos (there was "Simply Irresistable" as well) helped make those songs bigger hits than they otherwise would have been but they also associated him solely with that imagery which short changes him as an artist. Palmer wove together a variety of sounds into a cohesive whole and remains an underrated vocalist. But the lasting image of him is as caricature of the 80's via those videos.

His solo album is full of Nawlin's inspired laid back grooves and with good reason. His backing band was the freaking Meters and the record was produced by Lowell George. I think it's a fantastic album.
stoked that somebody else has heard of Until the Ribbon Breaks!! i try to introduce them to anyone who will lend an ear. they've been my greatest aural obsession for over a year now...

:)

and yeah, UTRB started as a one-man production, but it's since expanded to include a couple other full-time members. they released a second EP this year, and they have a full-length on the way soon (which has me approaching giddy-as-a-schoolboy levels of excitement)...

Wu Tang Clan - Sucker M.C.'s - 1997

Run DMC - Sucker M.C."s - 1983

2 years ago, a friend of mine asked me to say some M.C. rhymes, so I said this rhyme I'm about to say...

Last edited:
Big Star - Femme Fatale [1978]

Original version: The Velvet Underground [1967]

Femme Fatale goes into Alex Chilton's weird baroque world. Third isn't my favourite Big Star record, it's more interesting than listenable, but Femme Fatale is definitely one of its high points.

For my 12th pick of the draft, I select a song covered by one of my favorite bands:

Cat's In The Cradle - Ugly Kid Joe

The original by Harry Chapin:

Album:
America's Least Wanted
Released: 1992
Original Artist: Harry Chapin
Original Released Date: 1974

Frank Zappa -- I Am the Walrus (1988)

After the Beatles stopped touring, I heard the comment several times that they couldn't perform a lot of the stuff on Sgt. Pepper and Magical Mystery Tour in concert anyway. Leave it to Frank Zappa to put together a band that could play a pretty faithful rendition of one of their weirder songs. And, in a nice added touch of Zappa weirdness, the singer is holding a stuffed walrus.

Here's the Beatles' original 1967 video. Very strange but still entertaining.

For my next pick, I am going to take a song I didn't realize was a cover until recently...

Disney Girls - Art Garfunkel (Originally by the Beach Boys)

My favorite line. "Reality is not for me and it makes me laugh"

Just a great song.

I completely forgot about this song until today (like many of my previous picks, I was randomly reminded of it at the last minute). Amazed it's still here, but in another way not so surprised as I know Tom Petty covers generally are not popular. I'll make an exception for this one, I love this song and it marked a very significant stage in my life. Definitely would have taken it earlier had I remembered:

John Mayer - Free Fallin' (2008)
Original by Tom Petty (1989 - Full Moon Fever)

Not a huge John Mayer fan, only know a handful of his songs. But I absolutely love this cover, and the song itself is a genius piece of music in my opinion. I'm pretty happy with myself that I remembered this one. One of my all time favourite songs (Mayer's version), cover or not.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Framing Hanley lollipop
Yo entity, wouldn't happen to be able to find a youtube of just the music would you? I watched a minute and a half into the one you had posted here, and we had drinking, strip poker, sexual innuendo...and not even a note of music yet. Seemed a bit much.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
For my 12th pick in the Covers draft I select:

I Fought The Law by The Clash (originally released on the EP "The Cost Of Living", 1979)

Originally written by Sonny Curtis and recorded by The Crickets, 1960

This is a song that I'd have figured would have been scooped up a long time ago, but to be fair, I never knew it was a cover until about the ninth round of the draft, so I guess that could be the reason. It was originally recorded by The Crickets when Sonny Curtis took over following the death of Buddy Holly, but at this point in time it's pretty much known as the hard-driving early punk standard that The Clash turned it into.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Yo entity, wouldn't happen to be able to find a youtube of just the music would you? I watched a minute and a half into the one you had posted here, and we had drinking, strip poker, sexual innuendo...and not even a note of music yet. Seemed a bit much.
Hey, it's OK, the song starts at 2:20. Don't worry, it only gets less family-friendly as the video goes on.

Perhaps we could just replace it with a cover of this:

"Rock & roll's first great wild man", "The Killer", the best raw performer in the history of rock-and-roll music (described by Roy Orbison)

Forget the Harlem Shake, I select

Whole lotta shakin' goin' on - Jerry Lee Lewis (1957)

-- is a song first recorded by Big Maybelle (1955) (Wikipedia)

Larry89

Disgruntled Kings Fan
Back to me!

My Island has southern rock, classical infusion, cellos, blues, songs about love and nostalgia.. I feel like im missing something here...with my next pick I will pick a cover of an all time great R&B song..

Klaxons - No Diggity (2007)

Background information
Origin London, England
Genres new rave, electronica,[1][2] Indie rock[3]
Years active 2005–present
Labels Akashic Rekords, Polydor, tinyOGRE, Geffen, Ed Banger, Modular, Angular, Merok
Radio 1 Established 1967

Studio album by Various
Released 1 October 2007
Label Universal Music TV
Producer Various

Klaxons are an English new rave pop band, based in London. Following the release of several 7-inch singles on different independent record labels, as well as the success of previous singles "Magick" and "Golden Skans", the band released their debut album, Myths of the Near Future on 29 January 2007. The album won the 2007 Nationwide Mercury Prize.

Original

No Diggity - Blackstreet (1996)

"No Diggity" is a song by American R&B group Blackstreet featuring Dr. Dre and Queen Pen. The song peaked at number one on the Billboard Hot 100 and in New Zealand, and number nine in the United Kingdom. "No Diggity" ended "Macarena"'s 14-week reign atop the US Billboard Charts. It ranked at number 91 on Rolling Stone and MTV: 100 Greatest Pop Songs. It sold 1.6 million copies in 1996, and won the 1998 Grammy Award for Best R&B Performance by a Duo or Group with Vocals and was nominated for Grammy Award for Best R&B Song. It ranked at #32 on VH1's 100 Greatest Songs of the '90s.

"No Diggity"

Single by Blackstreet featuring Dr. Dre and Queen Pen
from the album Another Level
Released September 30, 1996
Format 12-inch single, CD
Recorded 1996; 2010 (re-recorded)
Genre R&B
Length 5:03
Label Interscope 069495003-2
Writer(s) Andre Young, Chauncey Hannibal, Teddy Riley, William Stewart, Lynise Walters, Richard Vick, Bill Withers
Producer(s) Teddy Riley, William "Skylz" Stewart
Certification Platinum (RIAA)

Entity

Hall of Famer
Probably best left off anyway. Language in actual song. Sexual innuendo is all its about

My next pick needs little explanation. One of rock's all time greatest songs by one of rock's all time greatest bands. Rock and roll poetry at it's finest. Per wikipedia, "at an auction in 2014, Dylan's handwritten lyrics to the song fetched $2 million, a world record for a popular music manuscript.

"How does it feel
How does it feel
To be on your own
With no direction home
Like a complete unknown
Like a rolling stone?"

Rolling Stones, Like a Rolling Stone, 1995

Original, Bob Dylan, 1965

Interactive version:
http://video.bobdylan.com/desktop.html

Last edited:

Bricklayer

Now most of the time I am going to work the rock, punk & folk angles for all they are worth. But I'm stuck on an island for all eternity with 20 songs, you need some island music right? And this is precisely one of the songs I should have around for those days. Surprised this was still available:

I Can See Clearly Now -- Jimmy Cliff (1993)

Covered for the Cool Runnings soundtrack.

Here is the Johnny Nash original which hit #1 in 1972:

Quick and dirty this time. Want to keep things moving. To close out the current round, I'm taking:

"Come on Eileen" -- Save Ferris, on It Means Everything, 1997
Originally recorded by Dexys Midnight Runners, 1982

I've always been a fan of ska, including its 90s revival form, and think this is a fun cover helped by a great voice.

Original version:

And to start the next one, I'm going off the beaten path a bit:

"Mahna Mahna" -- Cake, on For the Kids, 2002
Originally written by Piero Umiliani, 1968

Originally written for an Italian film in the 1960s, but most well known to most from its use... um... somewhere else that I almost spoiled before realizing that, too, was technically a cover and therefore available if anyone wants it so me shut up now. But I love all of the aforementioned (and afore-alluded-to) versions, and I super love Cake's take on the song. Very fun.

Original version:

Bricklayer

And if last time through the snake I went back to back Joan Jett (albeit with only one of the two songs with her trademark snarl), this time I am going to go back to back happy island songs, because hey, I am on an island, and I want to be happy. Again, no idea who would really take this, but still seems surprising this one was still out there too given how famous it is:

Somewhere Over the Rainbow -- Israel Kamakawiwo'ole (1993)

1939 Auntie Em version: