TDOS Tropical Island IPOD Cover Draft - Round 20

I guess this is the part where I take the requisite Sacramento band. This is a great little anti war number, originally by Black Sabbath. Here's Geezer Butler on it's original title, Walpurgis.

"Walpurgis is sort of like Christmas for Satanists. And to me, war was the big Satan", said bassist and lyricist Geezer Butler. "It wasn’t about politics or government or anything. It was (about) evil. So I was saying 'generals gathered in the masses/just like witches at black masses' to make an analogy. But when we brought it to the record company, they thought 'Walpurgis' sounded too Satanic. And that’s when we turned it into ‘War Pigs.’ But we didn’t change the lyrics, because they were already finished." Http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_Pigs

"Local variants of Walpurgis Night are observed across Europe in theNetherlands, Germany, the Czech Republic, Sweden, Lithuania, Latvia, Finland and Estonia. In the United States, Walpurgisnacht is one of the major holidays celebrated within LaVeyan Satanism and is the anniversary of the founding of the Church of Satan." http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walpurgis_Night

War Pigs, Cake, 2007

Black Sabbath, 1970

Last edited:

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
otay. Some covers succeed by somehow taking a song and making it their own. Some like this one succeed by nearly exactly duplicating the original, with one significant change:

Have you Ever Seen the Rain - Joan Jett (1990)

Early in this draft Jespher expressed surprise I did not take Jett's I Love Rock n Roll. But despite its fame, that wasn't my favorite cover of hers and I've always thought she was a great cover artist (in fact its really what made her career). So I knew I would be coming back around to her sooner or later with a lot of options. Here, her naturally raspy voice makes for a strong substitute for the almost uncoverable John Fogerty.

the original:

To close out this round, one of my personal faves:

"Kiss" -- The Art of Noise featuring Tom Jones, on The Best of the Art of Noise, 1988
Originally written and recorded by Prince, 1986

I love this song. I love both versions of this song. I love it more than words can say. And I love it completely without irony. Few things make me happier than the fact I've now seen it performed live by both Prince and Tom Jones. Love this song.

Original version:
(is not available because Prince's lawyers are notoriously and remarkably diligent)

And to start the next round, I'm going in a completely different direction:

"Little Red Rooster" -- Sam Cooke, on Night Beat, 1963
Originally written and recorded by Willie Dixon, 1961

This one is attributed to Sam Cooke, and his vocals are a big part of why I love it, but the thing that really sets this track apart for me is Billy Preston's work on the organ. This song is just so damn cool.

Original version:

Bricklayer

hey, and while I am Joan Jetting, I might as well pair them up. I was going to save this for later in the draft figuring I would be one of the few people who knew of it. But it pretty much kicks ass, and I've even been circling it as a possible for this year's kickoff vid ('cept that it would scare the more delicate types). From early in Joan's career, back in her Bad Reputation days when all she wanted to do was belt out vox and crunch power chords:

Doing All Right With the Boys -- Joan Jett & the Blackhearts (1980)

My thoughts immediately turned to this cover when Funky was saying he didn't have many covers that rocked in his big ole list.

Now I have not mentioned who this was a cover of, somewhat on purpose. This was a cover of a Gary Glitter song. For those who don't know, in recent years its been revealed that Glitter is a child molester. I'd almost rather not even post a link to the original song (and there aren't many -- might have been pulled, dunno). Joan's is far better anyway, and given his status as scum, I think I'll just continue to consider hers basically the defining version.

Anyway, here's a live version from Gary Glitter:

For this selection, I'm taking Pearl Jam covering The Who's Love, Reign O'er Me. The song is from a definite desert island disc of mine, Quadrophenia. Eddie Vedder shares that view.

The song was record for the Adam Sandler movie Reign O'er Me. The story is that Vedder wouldn't do it without getting the blessing of Roger Daltrey, because if you share the view that Daltrey's studio version is perfection, it can't be topped. Well, the result is below.

Pete Townshend: "(Love, Reign O'er Me) refers to Meher Baba's one time comment that rain was a blessing from God; that thunder was God's Voice. It's another plea to drown, only this time in the rain. Jimmy goes through a suicide crisis. He surrenders to the inevitable, and you know, you know, when it's over and he goes back to town he'll be going through the same s--t, being in the same terrible family situation and so on, but he's moved up a level. He's weak still, but there's a strength in that weakness. He's in danger of maturing."

Love, Reign O'er Me, Pearl Jam, 2007 (from vh1 honors)
I searched for awhile for the studio version from the who and couldn't find it. So I settled on a grainy video from the cow palace in 1973. Keith Moon was on some horse tranquilizer and passed out on stage soon after this song, resulting in The Who bringing a fan on stage (google it). Anyhow, the vocals here best represent the flawless studio vocal. Roger Daltrey of recent vintage doesn't do it justice.
The Who, 1973 (from Quadrophenia)

This is a borderline cover, and almost settles into parody territory, but is true enough to the original material that it's fair game. Utilizing the remastered score by Queen with voice over by Muppet characters, and preserving a large amount of word for word verse, this version is unique, classic, and hilarious!

My son is turning seven soon, and being this close to his birthday (and to appease his constant badgering) with my 10th selection, I choose:

Bohemian Rhapsody - The Muppets (2009) Digital Download

Original: Bohemian Rhapsody - Queen (1975) I'm in Love With My Car

More:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Bohemian_Rhapsody_cover_versions#The_Muppets
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bohemian_Rhapsody

Larry89 has timed out.

For my next selection I have a choice between Fats Domino and Vladimir Putin :rolleyes:. I think I'll go with Fats' version.

Blueberry Hill - Fats Domino (1956)

-- is a popular song published in 1940 best remembered for its 1950s rock n' roll version by Fats Domino. The music was written by Vincent Rose, the lyrics by Larry Stock and Al Lewis. It was recorded six times in 1940
(Wikipedia)

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
For my next selection in the covers draft I pick:

Hazy Shade Of Winter by The Bangles (from the soundtrack to the movie Less Than Zero, 1987)

Originally written and recorded by Simon and Garfunkel, first released as a single in 1966.

Simon and Garfunkel's original is actually called "_A_ Hazy Shade Of Winter", and the Bangles were forced to leave out half a verse regarding drinking "vodka and lime" by their record label (really?). But other than that the song is intact, and I really like what the Bangles did with it. The Simon and Garfunkel version is one of their rare offerings that highlights their songwriting but just isn't particularly executed well in my opinion. Which makes it perfect fodder for a cover. The Bangles even throw you for a bit of a loop, starting the song off with an ethereal and wispy pre-echo of the first lines before kicking the song into gear. The original has an unusual riff for Simon and Garfunkel, and one definitely suited to a few upticks in tempo and some '80s rock guitar, and the Bangles don't disappoint.

My pick:

Dean Martin - Winter Wonderland (1959 - A Winter Romance)
Original by Richard Himber (1934)

I'm generally not a huge fan of Christmas songs, although there's some that I just love that make me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. This is one of those songs for me and brings back great memories of my childhood. Even though this song has been covered by a vast, vast array of artists, I still feel like Martin's version is the the defining one, and that bar has yet to be reached by anyone else.

Bricklayer

For my next selection in the covers draft I pick:

Hazy Shade Of Winter by The Bangles (from the soundtrack to the movie Less Than Zero, 1987)

Originally written and recorded by Simon and Garfunkel, first released as a single in 1966.

Simon and Garfunkel's original is actually called "_A_ Hazy Shade Of Winter", and the Bangles were forced to leave out half a verse regarding drinking "vodka and lime" by their record label (really?). But other than that the song is intact, and I really like what the Bangles did with it. The Simon and Garfunkel version is one of their rare offerings that highlights their songwriting but just isn't particularly executed well in my opinion. Which makes it perfect fodder for a cover. The Bangles even throw you for a bit of a loop, starting the song off with an ethereal and wispy pre-echo of the first lines before kicking the song into gear. The original has an unusual riff for Simon and Garfunkel, and one definitely suited to a few upticks in tempo and some '80s rock guitar, and the Bangles don't disappoint.
I had absolutely no idea the Bangles covered Simon & Garfunkel. :p

Larry89

Disgruntled Kings Fan
I will update this post soon as I am busy, but with my make up pick I will select...

Hush - Deep Purple (1968)

Original

Hush - Billy Joe Royal (1967)

I will go with another classic:

Ain't That a Shame - Cheap Trick from Live at Budokan - 1979 (Originally by Fats Domino)

Love this song... and love this version... great stuff.

Feelin' Alright - Joe Cocker (1969)

I like this cover of Joe Cocker's better than With a Little Help From My Friends, which was selected earlier. In both cases he adds some emotional oomph to the song, but in Feelin' Alright he exercises a little more restraint.

The original is by Traffic. Steve Winwood's piano and Chris Wood's sax give the song a different feel. Two great songs.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've thought about drafting "Feelin' Alright" for the last few rounds. I've always liked that song. And you're right, it isn't that I prefer Cocker's version or the Traffic version but that they are different enough and both really good that I don't really compare them.

Dexys Midnight Runners - Seven Days Too Long [1980]

Original version: Chuck Wood [1967]

The Dexys were basically northern soul updated for the New Wave crowd, which translated to their choice and execution of covers. They have a couple of great ones, this might be the most catchy.

Last edited:
Sorry for timing out again guys, but I did not get a PM.

For my 11th pick, i select:

Oh Pretty Woman - Van Halen

The original by Roy Orbison:

Album:
Diver Down
Released: 1982
Original Artist: Roy Orbison
Original Released Date: 1964

i'm rather excited about this pick. it allows me to introduce KF.com to my single favorite new artist. Until the Ribbon Breaks released their debut EP last year, and upon its release, i wrote that it featured "a sound I've been waiting to hear without even realizing it. The production is minimal and celestial; it's future-bent R&B, and there's something so beautifully fragile and far-away about Pete Winfield's voice, as if the man behind Until the Ribbon Breaks is singing from the other side of a bulkhead on a starship that's departing for a very lonely place." the cover that follows could easily be encompassed in the above description, as well. it was released just yesterday, in fact, and i've been listening to it non-stop since then:

Until the Ribbon Breaks - "Addicted to Love" (Robert Palmer cover) [2014]:

"Addicted to Love" is one of those upbeat tunes that regularly shows up on playlists at 80's-themed house parties. it's a staple of the 80's, and it could be considered Robert Palmer's signature song. but here it gets re-imagined as an otherworldly comedown, and, i have to say, i MASSIVELY prefer UTRB's version of this song. Robert Palmer wrote a hit single that likely would have been forgotten amongst the guilty pleasure pop-rock dreck of the decade if not for a famous music video in which Palmer is backed by a band of supermodels. UTRB transform "Addicted to Love" into a hauntingly beautiful song of mourning that's infinitely more in tune with the lyrics that Palmer wrote (while nodding to the seductive qualities of the original music video by making use of clips from Harmony Korine's Spring Breakers). if you've ever known lovesickness down to your core, UTRB's Pete Winfield reminds you of the ache that occurs when "oblivion is all you crave."

Robert Palmer - "Addicted to Love" (1985):

Last edited:

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
In addition to his solo records, the legendary Billy Preston played with everyone from The Rolling Stones to Luther Vandross, from Little Richard to Joe Cocker, from Ray Charles to the Red Hot Chili Peppers. The Fab Four even seriously considered making him the fifth Beatle and he played on several of their tracks as well as their later solo albums. Preston was in demand as much for his gifts on the organ, piano and clavinet as for his garrulous personality. So it's not surprising that (1) he found himself working with Stephen Stills or that (2) one of his favorite expressions, "If you can't be with the one you love, love the one you're with" struck a chord (no pun intended) with Stills who wrote a hit song around it for his 1970 solo album.

A year later, the Isley Brothers released one of the most unusual albums of their long and varied career with "Givin' It Back". The Isley Brothers had long been cover fodder for white artists so in 1971 they turned the tables, releasing an album of covers of white artists (and Jimi Hendrix who was a hit with primarily white audiences) that showed their versatility and their fearlessness. My second favorite track from that album is their cover of "Love the One You're With". For my money the Stills version seems flat and lifeless by comparison with the Isley brothers giving the song a vibrancy and soul that Still's version could only aspire to.

Stephen Stills
"Love the One You're With"
From his eponymous 1970 album

The Isley Brothers
"Love the One You're With"
From their 1971 album "Givin' It Back"

As a side note, my favorite track from the album was ineligible for this draft because it blends two songs from two different sources. Still, the Isley Brother's version of Neil Young's "Ohio" and Jimi Hendrix's "Machine Gun" that opens "Givin' It Back" is an amazing song. It perfectly encapsulates the anger and fear of a time of desegregation, bloodshed (both at Kent State from which Young's version derives it's lyrical content but also Jackson State University where it was black students shot and killed) and struggle. There is an undeniable power to this track and it shows that the Isley Brother's had no limits but did have a message.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
I can't say I'm a huge U2 fan. Growing up I liked some of their songs but never really connected to them. But just as I was entering my teenage years "Achtung Baby" came out and that left turn album was a revelation to me. I had no idea if it was possible to wear a CD out but I figured I'd find out with that one. And in 2011 the record celebrated it's 20th anniversary with Q magazine putting together a track by track CD of covers from the likes of Garbage, Nine Inch Nails, The Killers, Snow Patrol, The Fray, Depeche Mode and others. All the songs can be found online and there are some really interesting versions. But my favorite track from "Achtung Baby" is probably "Love is Blindness" and I think it's cover, by Jack White is the best as well. It was apparently also used on the soundtrack of the 2013 version of "The Great Gatsby".

All I know is that both versions use the themes of heartbreak and the resulting isolation and anger but where U2's is atmospheric and brooding, Jack White's is primal and explosive. I dig them both.

U2
Love is Blindness
from their 1991 album "Achtung Baby"

Jack White
Love is Blindness
from the 2011 album "AHK-toong BAY-bi Covered"

The Cardigans - "Iron Man" (Black Sabbath cover) [1996]:

The Cardigans took a highlight of the early heavy metal age and turned it into something seductive and lilting. who knew Black Sabbath could sound so f***ing sexy?!

Black Sabbath - "Iron Man" (1970):

I can't say I'm a huge U2 fan. Growing up I liked some of their songs but never really connected to them. But just as I was entering my teenage years "Achtung Baby" came out and that left turn album was a revelation to me. I had no idea if it was possible to wear a CD out but I figured I'd find out with that one. And in 2011 the record celebrated it's 20th anniversary with Q magazine putting together a track by track CD of covers from the likes of Garbage, Nine Inch Nails, The Killers, Snow Patrol, The Fray, Depeche Mode and others. All the songs can be found online and there are some really interesting versions. But my favorite track from "Achtung Baby" is probably "Love is Blindness" and I think it's cover, by Jack White is the best as well. It was apparently also used on the soundtrack of the 2013 version of "The Great Gatsby".

All I know is that both versions use the themes of heartbreak and the resulting isolation and anger but where U2's is atmospheric and brooding, Jack White's is primal and explosive. I dig them both.

U2
Love is Blindness
from their 1991 album "Achtung Baby"

Jack White
Love is Blindness
from the 2011 album "AHK-toong BAY-bi Covered"
Never heard this before, but it is awesome!

The Cardigans - "Iron Man" (Black Sabbath cover) [1996]:

The Cardigans took a highlight of the early heavy metal age and turned it into something seductive and lilting. who knew Black Sabbath could sound so f***ing sexy?!

Black Sabbath - "Iron Man" (1970):

I am gonna guess that if Nina Persson wasn't good looking, this pick doesn't happen.