TDOS Tropical Island IPOD Cover Draft - Round 20

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
When I got up to find out I was stuck in the #2 spot in this draft I was initially worried I didn't have a pick worthy of the spot. Then I remembered the power of this one, and I wasn't worried any longer:

Hurt -- Johnny Cash (on American IV The Man Comes Around, 2002)
-- Originally written and recorded by Nine Inch Nails, 1994

This was such a remarkable song and accompanying video that it is widely seen as Johnny Cash's epitaph. He was dying at the time he made it, and within 7 months of the accompanying video's completion both he and his wife (who appeared in the video) had passed on. The original NIN version was a young drug addled star's song of regret, but it could not compare to the power of an old dying legend with a long life full of them singing his pain one last time. It was the perfect cover by the perfect artist at the perfect point in his life to become legendary itself, and its widely considered one of the best covers of all time.

Great choice Bricky.

Boo-urns on this being full. If someone drops out I'd like to be a replacement, even though my iPod would likely be full of cheese.

I suppose it's my turn.

At #3 I take....

Wow, this is tough. It would have been hard to take this over the first two choices, but I take...

Jeff Buckley- Hallelujah (from Grace, 1994)
--originally Leonard Cohen, Various Positions, 1984

Used to be a secret, but thanks to American idol and other shows, it no longer is. This version hit the top of the iTunes Charts in 2008 as a new generation discovered this gem. There are hundreds of versions of this song out there, but this is the one.

Here is Leonard's version live a few years back.

And Leonard talking about it's resurgence.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
damn, brick, nice first round pick. "Hurt" was definitely on my list.
Yeah, it was a cover that had gone back under my radar but something sparked my memory and I threw it on my list just two days ago or so. Great song, thought maybe it would sneak out of the first few rounds... I have a feeling I'll be saying that multiple times before I even get to my first pick!

Bricklayer

Yeah, it was a cover that had gone back under my radar but something sparked my memory and I threw it on my list just two days ago or so. Great song, thought maybe it would sneak out of the first few rounds... I have a feeling I'll be saying that multiple times before I even get to my first pick!
This draft promises to teach me a lot and I'm sure people will be dropping I things I never even thought of/knew had been covered all draft long.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
So far three picks and three songs I had first round grades on. "All Along the Watchtower" was the Tim Duncan of this draft, but I figured "Hurt" and "Hallelujah" would be gone in the top 5.

Right now I only have 220 or so songs on my list. We're picking 320. I think a lot of songs people are thinking of as late round gems are going to go much faster than they realize.

Last edited:

Bricklayer

So far three picks and three songs I had first round grades on. "All Along the Watchtower" was the Tim Duncan of this draft, but I figured "Hurt" and "Hallelujah" would be gone in the top 5.

Right now I only have 220 or so songs on my list. We're picking 320. I think a lot of songs people are thinking of as late round gems are going to go much faster than they realize.
you have 220 songs on your list??

mommy.

Lots of excellent picks so far, nice job gang! I'll quench my grunge fix with this pick, as one of the quintessential, and best known cover releases. This became #6 on billboard's top 100 releases of 1993, and David Bowie was often complimented following performances for doing a Nirvana song. With my 1st selection, I choose:

The Man Who Sold The World - Nirvana (1993) MTV Unplugged New York

Original: David Bowie (1971) The Man Who Sold the World

More: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Man_Who_Sold_the_World_(song)

Last edited:

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
you have 220 songs on your list??

mommy.
I am an immense fountain of useless information and nevermore so than when it comes to music. But it explains why there isn't room in my brain for such trivial matters such as where I put my car keys. Seriously, if anyone sees them, let me know.

And to be fair I've got a spreadsheet of hundreds of songs that I've learned over the years for different bands I've been in. It was easy to scan through and grab the cover songs.

Last edited:
The Man Who Sold The World - Nirvana
Yeah...

"Hurt" was on my list, and "Hallelujah" is a hell of a pick (only my fierce love for Cohen's original kept it off my list), but this one... this one stings. One of many on a list I knew would go, but that I'd hoped would be forgotten a little longer.

I have so far avoided putting together a formal list. I've jotted things down as they come to me, but that's it. Will probably see how the first round draft goes and then start getting more disciplined during the long wait before my next pick.

I suppose it's my turn.

At #3 I take....

Wow, this is tough. It would have been hard to take this over the first two choices, but I take...

Jeff Buckley- Hallelujah (from Grace, 1994)
--originally Leonard Cohen, Various Positions, 1984

Used to be a secret, but thanks to American idol and other shows, it no longer is. This version hit the top of the iTunes Charts in 2008 as a new generation discovered this gem. There are hundreds of versions of this song out there, but this is the one.

Here is Leonard's version live a few years back.

And Leonard talking about it's resurgence.

More Jeff Buckley. This is not a cover, but when else could I post this? Get the Grace album. Get it now.

Awesome two finger salute during the intro when the announcer compares jeff to his father, Tim.

More Jeff Buckley. This is not a cover, but when else could I post this? Get the Grace album. Get it now.

Awesome two finger salute during the intro when the announcer compares jeff to his father, Tim.

Excellent album in general. I selected it for the album draft last summer, and I also recommend a solid listen straight through...

So Dime Dropper has taken over drafting duties from kingsnation officially. Welcome aboard.

Larry89 hasn't checked in since Sunday Morning, before the draft started.

He doesn't time out until 11:35 PST. El Pajasso sent his pick to me via PM, but I'll hold off a bit to see if Larry89 comes around...

Larry89 has timed out...Rats...He can make up his pick as he arrives within the next 2 rounds (1 + 2).

Last edited:
Guess it's my turn...

After seeing the first three picks, I started to panic a little as those songs were also on the top of my list. However, after the first feelings of disappointment I also realised there were plenty more great songs.

After going through my list (currently around 25 songs, compared to funkykingston's 220:eek:), I was mentally ready to pick between two other songs. I decided to listen to both of them a couple of times to make a choice which one could be one of only 16 songs on my ipod for the rest of my life.
After hearing both songs two times in a row, I realised they didn't meet my criteria: they didn't give me goose bumps or bring a tear to my eye. Then a song popped into my mind that can do both and of which I had an inkling that it was a cover. After checking if it was indeed a cover, I was ready to make my pick.

With the sixth pick I select: Etta James - At Last

At last -- Etta James (from the album At last! , 1960)
-- a 1941 song written by Mack Gordon and Harry Warren (Wikipedia)

Next up is Capt. Factorial

Bricklayer

while a lot of artists back then sang stuff that wasn't their own, her version has become so iconic it never even occurred to me that there had eve been another

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
while a lot of artists back then sang stuff that wasn't their own, her version has become so iconic it never even occurred to me that there had eve been another
Indeed. Probably most notably Glen Miller's Orchestra did a version but given the drastic difference in style and emotion it might as well be a different song altogether.

Most telling is that when anyone today endeavors to sing the song (replete with extraneous vocal runs and overwrought vibrato of course) it is unquestionably referred to as an Etta James song. And nobody ever comes close to touching her rendition, at least for me.

Great choice.

Last edited:

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
For my first selection, I'm going to go with a cover which, like several of the previous selections, has essentially become the definitive version of the song. It's a cover that also successfully walks the very fine line of respecting the source material while becoming a creative effort of its own (admittedly, I expect to pick some covers that fall very far on either side of that fine line before all is said and done).

My first selection is Take Me To The River - Talking Heads
Originally written and recorded by Al Green (Al Green Explores Your Mind, 1974)
Talking Heads version originally released on More Songs About Buildings And Food, 1978

Next up is Dime Dropper.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
I had thought this one might slide to #16 but I'm not surprised it didn't. One of my favorite bands covering one of my favorite songs. Nice.

Argh, I'm caught in two minds here. I'm going to make my selection based on which I think has the lesser chance of making it back to me. This is an iconic song - without further ado:

The Beatles - Twist and Shout

The Beatles - Please Please Me (1963)
Originally by The Isley Brothers - Twist and Shout (1962).

Here's hoping my next one makes it back to me...