TDOS Cabin by the Lake Movie Draft SIGNUPS

Status
Not open for further replies.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
My vote would be for 20 movies just so I can cram as many different types of movies in there as possible. Also because I think the top of the draft is going to be pretty competitive over the popular choices but after round 10 or so we'll start to see a lot more unusual and distinctive choices which will make the lists all feel more personalized. But I'm up for whatever the group decides!
So what do the rest of you think? Either 12, 20 or don't care?

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
I think I addressed that:

If all else fails, I as commissioner would be happy to post anyone's pick. Of course, I'll just have to deal with the emotional trauma of having to post a pick for someone else that was going to be mine in a subsequent round. I'm tough, though. I'm sure I could survive the angst. :p
I know you addressed it in the rules, I meant if you notice anyone specific paying close attention to the draft that isn't participating you could "encourage" them to help out in this way. :)

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
So what do the rest of you think? Either 12, 20 or don't care?
Most drafts go 20. I'm good either way. Sometimes the pickings get thinner towards the end, but I've got a good 125+ movies for initial consideration for the draft (some I know I probably won't use, and others I'll add, but it gets me started). I should struggle through. ;) Maybe start with 15 and see how it is going?

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Based on past experience, if we don't iron this out ahead of time and instead change it mid-draft SOMEONE (at least one) will be upset because it ruined their strategy.

You have three choices: 12, 20 or "don't care". 15 was not an option. :p

P.S. I know most drafts have gone 20. I also know that those last few rounds can drag on forever because people get tired/lose interest/get distracted. This was especially true in the latter days of TDOS drafts - possibly because interest was also waning in the team in general.

I say 12, mainly because I'm a hard critic and it's tough for me to come up with 10 usually... haha

(Edit: But I'm okay with any number, I don't have a strategy because I just want to participate.)

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
I'd prefer 20 because of how much 12 would limit the number of movies made before the seventies we can pick.
Well, even with only 12 movies, you would still be allowed to pick 7 movies before the '70s.

For my part, I'm OK with either, but I probably come down on the 20 movie side just because, as has been said, things do tend to get interesting once the obvious selections are taken.

I’m a vote for 20. 12 would force me to be very disciplined in my choices, which is never a bad thing, but I agree with Capt, the draft will likely be more interesting with 20. :)

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
At this point, the voting is too close to call. For that reason, I'm arbitrarily deciding to keep the draft at 12. If we complete the 12 rounds and there is a general consensus that we absolutely need more rounds, we can address it at that point. :)

Why am I looking forward to this movie draft so much? I keep checking this thread to see if the slots are filled. I was very tempted to join this site when the cover song draft was going on. Listening to, and playing music are my biggest passions. This will be a fun opportunity to make up for missing out on that. And an opportunity to be known for something other than defending the Jeff Koons piece. In hindsight buying a seven million dollar piece from a fifty million dollar artist is not the best way to get a great piece of art. If you go Koons, you get a balloon figure, ballerina, or even a heart. Sorry. Ignore that last bit.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
We've got a "volunteer" (actually I drafted him) to be our Officials Poster of Picks for people who will be unable to make their pick on a timely basis. Thanks to Mr. S£im for stepping up. :)

We just need one more person to fill the ranks. Once that is done, I'll impose on Mr. S£im to use the randomizer to determine draft order.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Still looking for one more participant to get this started. If you've never done this before, take a chance!

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Here's the deal. We seem to be stuck on 15 participants. As commissioner, I have made an arbitrary decision:

If we do not get another participant by tomorrow, we will proceed to the next step in the draft with a "joker" slot. That will work as follows: Our 15 registered participants will draft in the order determined by the randomizer. The 16th slot will be open to any registered member of KF who wants to participate, first come/first served. He/she will post their selection to fill that slot. The next round will commence and when the 16th pick comes around, any member EXCEPT the one who made the previous #16 pick will be able to post their selection.

If, at any time, someone wants to step up and become the 16th regular participant, they will be allowed to do so, inheriting the picks already selected and going from there.

I know this is unusual but I like the idea. :)

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Here's the deal. We seem to be stuck on 15 participants. As commissioner, I have made an arbitrary decision:

If we do not get another participant by tomorrow, we will proceed to the next step in the draft with a "joker" slot. That will work as follows: Our 15 registered participants will draft in the order determined by the randomizer. The 16th slot will be open to any registered member of KF who wants to participate, first come/first served. He/she will post their selection to fill that slot. The next round will commence and when the 16th pick comes around, any member EXCEPT the one who made the previous #16 pick will be able to post their selection.

If, at any time, someone wants to step up and become the 16th regular participant, they will be allowed to do so, inheriting the picks already selected and going from there.

I know this is unusual but I like the idea. :)
I like it!

If we're needing an even number, I can drop out. I'm traveling out of the country for the rest of the month anyway and have limited internet access.

But if you are good sticking with the 15 and a joker" plan as outlined, I can make it work.

Still hope I can get my old account back.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I'm committed to the 15 and a joker. :)

I dropped a note to Jeremy about your old account. Hopefully he'll get to it before too much longer. I'm just glad you're back with us. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.